Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    WTGY.. nice revival for you with 2 marathons in the year, I haven't done Berlin since 2005 but I think it is more or less the same fast course.  Ditto congrats to yourself on the 20+miles this morning, a fair bit tougher off road.
    OO.. good news on 'this little piggy', hope the test run goes well.
    Pacemaking duties at Parkrun today, trying to tow a clubmate to a PB (21.57 or better).  Wasn't sure if my wheels would fall off after yesterday's efforts but all went well with splits of 6:58, 6:58, 6:59 for 21:42.  Club XC race tomorrow with a few miles added on.
  • A lovely day for it WTGY.

Nice pacing Wardi.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - good news then, hopefully the rest will have done you good.

WTG- nice one on the 20, 2 in a week ? Good stuff, it works for LMH.

Im entered in Yeovil, and will enter Abo when it opens, which is anytime soon. 

23m in 3.00.09 for me today so 7.50ish pace. 9 secs in the death zone though.

81 for the week. 5 more to go.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - like the top of Mt Everest, its hurting your body being there, but i was only there for 9 secs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    6m easy peasy pace.

Nice day for running, probably cos im not racing this week.
  • 18 miles @ 8.12m/m.  That almost feels like a real long run :)
  • Great new Joolska.

That is a short run for you on a Sunday TR.

13.1 miles here at around marathon pace despite a rubbish course and pit stop. About all I expected to be fair.
  • I think that counts as a long run Jools.  Good one.

A half at MP is always OK LMH.  Especially when the route isn't ideal.

Hampton Court Half this morning.  I rode over there (just 8 miles or so, downhill!) to avoid parking issues and because it was a nice morning for it.  I cut it a bit fine but at least I was warmed up.  The first few miles were at what felt like the right pace but in hindsight were a little ambitious - 5 miles in 29:23 and 10k in 37 flat were OK but I don't seem to be able to maintain pace like I used to, especially when there's uneven pavement, tight turns and going up and down kerbs to contend with - getting back through Kingston I was losing the back of the little group I'd been with to then. 

That said, give me an even surface and a straight route and I'm still OK just about - the stretch along the towpath from Kingston to Hampton Court was much better, 10 miles in a shade over the hour but the little rise onto Hampton Court Bridge and miles 10-12 being a bit uneven made it all hard work.  At 12 miles I figured sub 80 was passing me by but with someone in front slowing down I had a target and managed to get a bit of a shift on.  Luckily I didn't know where the finish was - I assumed it would be where the start line was but it turned out to be 200m further on, which meant I'd basically started my finishing sprint earlier than I'd have liked for my own comfort but meant I snuck in just under 80 minutes, 79:53, and as it turned out, first V50.

So it turned out OK but a lesson learned - I'm going to have to be a lot more careful with early pacing come VLM.

• Sub 80 and first V50 sounds pretty good to me, CD!  Well done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools- 18 is a long run, nice one.

LMH- good one, 13 at mp is a good workout and it wast a target fixture anyway. Im trying to keep the easy days short and easy. I feel like i could do more, but P and D says not to.

CD - you are still going well. Sub 80 is nice a sharp. Well done on the AG win too.
  • great pacing that wardi, and thanks. (there is an ironman in there too, and possibly a coast to coast cycle. Ought to keep me out of mischief! 

TR nice 3hours of running and easy one today. 2 in a week, though last Mondays should have been on the weekend. 

LMH last time I checked 13 at MP is a bloody tough workout - well done! 

18 miles is a long run, and a good one at that jools

Great sub 80 CD, I think Id be made up with that 

6 mile off road recovery at 7:20s, either means I'm getting stronger or incredibly ill disciplined. 

I think the sunshine, and its fair weather afletes has broken strava
  • CD - That's a fantastic time and performance, whilst not giving the entire race full beans. Congratulations on both the sub 80 and 1st in your age category.
    Jools - Yes that's a more than decent LSR.
    LMH - 13 @ MP is a great training run, well done.
    9m this morning, no issues felt good and aiming to do another 6m later to make it 15 for the week. 
  • Nice running CD. I managed first old woman (4th woman overall) but no bling and given it was basically a poor (if expected) performance I can't take much from it.

There's no way I could do it without a number on OuchOuch?WTGY.

Nice to feel that the training is coming together WTGY.

TR - I ran it off the back of my highest mileage week this year so shouldn't moan, eyes on the prize in ten weeks.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    WTG - probably both, but you should try to jog the recovery runs,  i was a minute  a mile slower than you.

OO - good news, your toe is obviously healing.

LMH - a top weeks work then. Thing is i dont notice much improvement in performance even if i do put in a bit of a taper. Not tapering stops you hurting yourself too much.
  • I think I carry quite a lot of fatigue TR especially when building the miles so front loading the week and cutting the miles a bit does seem to help if I want to try to race.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, similar to what i did before worthing, it just doesnt seem to result in a much better race. I did the hardest BAC session and lots of miles the week befoe Solent 1/2 in October, and wasnt much slower than last week. Although it would need the same course and weather really. Not sure how ill prepare for Fleet 1/2 in 4 weeks yet.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. Good effort though agree re the big picture. 13m at MP is still worth banking but during a marathon campaign I don't really care about the result in a build up race.
    CD.. sterling work breaking 1:20 on a course like that, 1st V50 is marvellous stuff.  I wasn't sure if you were definitley VLM bound but I will dutifully add you to the list.
    Jools.. 18m at that pace is more than a decent long run at this stage, really chuffed for you. 
    Nicely restrained recovery efforts TR, WTGY.
    OO.. encouraging run in the comeback, monster mileage :)
    My legs were suitably trollied after Fri/Sat so ran the club race at hoped for MP.  A bit before & after gave me 11.5m for the day.  I managed to resist my OCD instinct when I realised I had totalled 69.5m for the week. :o    
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Marathon List..
    10th March - Barcelona..  Wardi
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ, WTGY
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    14th April -   Paris..  OO
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    28th April -   VLM.. LMHCC2CharlieWWardiOOJoeBDanAJools, CD
    29th Sep.  -   Berlin.. WTGY
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al PCharlieWLMHWardi

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    CD - top stuff with the age group win and sub 80 to boot!

LMH - low key half then? @MP is good training run if you weren't racing esp. off a high weekwhich for you is 80+?

TR - cracking 3 hours and 9 seconds!! Definitely not lacking miles this campaign. Should stand you in good stead come the later miles in Brighton.

Jools - nice to see you back at it and getting some consistency in. 18 definitely qualifies.

Wardi - nice long run bagged in favourable conditions. I have enjoyed the recent running sans gloves! Also nice pacemaking too. Thanks for compiling the list!

Wtgy - great to see you managing to get some consistency back. Careful now with the increase in miles and pace. Make sure we get to meet up on the 7th.

Decided this week would be a relatively easier week for me with no mlr (10 miles only midweek - ran progressive) and today's long run was only 15 but included 6 miles progressive (6:5x-6:2x). Finished the week with 5 easy this arvo meaning 20 mile day and another low 60 miles week.

Going along well I reckon, some icing to start soon with a couple of low-key fixtures to have a blast at.

Did anyone catch Laura Muir in the mile yesterday? I love that run, on her own, in the red zone, tough as nails.
  • Thanks Wardi, I should have done that myself.

Meant to mention that JoeB was spotted on the course a couple of times today, cheering on his Clapham teammates.  Joe, I was one of the random people giving you a shout not in a CC vest...
  • CD - we must have been running together for the start. I passed 5m at 30:40.
    I finished 57 sec behind you in the end at 1:20:53, PB by 2 min which was 6 years ago. As a mere V40 you inspire me to think I can take another minute off at some point!

The group I was with had a cracking pace and stubborn me could not just let them go, so my HR was above target and wheels started to come off at 11 miles, faded to 6:19 pace in the last 2, but stoked to come in overall at 80 mins and sundry. (As we know, the first rule about running is we don’t talk about the sundry.)

Jools - must feel good to put that 18 on the board. 

LMH - sounds like you are running strong if you can do that with no taper. Well done.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - another good week,  and refreshments later ?

Sj - sounds good, you must be heading towards better shape than Abo. You are doing some nice progressive efforts.

Well run TGO, you are in good shape too. Whats your Brighton hopeful time ?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Im entered into yeovil, which is June 9th. Abo is same day as York.
  • TR - When I started this training block any ol’ 2:5x would have been brilliant but now thinking I could have a shot at 2:52-53? Going to see how the next 5 weeks go before taper.
  • TGO - Cracking run today, well done. I agree you should be shooting for at least a 2.53 time. 
  • Nice running everyone. I failed in my endeavours for the day. 30k race, supposed to be P&D style MP + 20%, MP + 10% and MP in 10k blocks. I can't do maths so went with 7.45s-7.55s, 7.20s-7.30s and 6.45s-6.55s as targets. I managed 7.46s (downhill with the wind behind), 7.24s (hilliest section with lots of headwind), 7.00s (uphill and lots into the wind). I think I used too much energy in the middle section. I just couldn't battle the wind at the end, and when we hit a sharp little hill at 26km I could barely get up it. 35 seconds slower than last year, and most annoyingly, 2nd V40 by 2 seconds. There's only a prize for 1st. If I'd known I'd have at least tried to outsprint her. I was gaining on her. 
  • It gets worse. I was actually 11 seconds faster than her on chip time. I started further back because I was starting slowly. 
  • Electric SheepElectric Sheep ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Had to pop in when I saw there was a list  :) Hope to see a few of you in the Red Lion.

Marathon List...
    10th March - Barcelona..  Wardi
    7th April -     Manchester.. SJ, WTGY
    14th April -   Brighton.. TR, EE, TGO, Jooligan
    14th April -   Paris..  OO
    15th April -   Boston.. DanA
    28th April -   VLM.. LMH, CC2, CharlieW, Wardi, OO, JoeB, DanA, Jools, CD, ES
    29th Sep.  -   Berlin.. WTGY
    20th Oct   -   York.. Al P, CharlieW, LMH, Wardi

• Well done TGO - older and faster is the way to go!

92 last week sj. Which races are you doing? I have Laura's race to watch - looking forward to it.

Stamford is a tough course to pace CC2. Shame about losing out due to starting further back.

Very restrained Wardi  :)