Suitable for a first time ultra?

I'm doing my first ultra run/walk in July.
The plan atm is to run 10k, walk 10k, run 10k and repeat you get the idea...

So....I've been looking at hydration vests (the event is supported every 10k I believe so hopefully I won't have to carry too much)

Do you think this hydration vest is suitable?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/gilet-trail-5l-water-id_8489223.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_69894285584_c_316423025503_w_aud-308557095093:pla-329717981422_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o7x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_2508211_z_GB_i_en_j_329717981422_s__e__h_1006476_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9Y12OFwtcx4isyvHQr-WLcLJogDVIqlQsubYh0HWqPd40E2AVTLCwsaArR9EALw_wcB

Or am I wildly off the mark and will need to take way more fluids than 5l between each checkpoint?

Any help as I'm a total novice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Hello, if you drink 5l every 10k you'll soon develop hyponatremia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

Depending on the weather, 400ml-800ml per hour will more than suffice.

A handheld like this:

https://www.networldsports.co.uk/single-running-water-bottle-500ml.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9Z0OsIrNFJdDRsg95naepUcZmMib501_vFvEjHvEryXOMbLEI5nxEgaAiJaEALw_wcB

will easily keep you hydrated between checkpoints. Just drink to thirst.

Good luck
  • ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    Thank you Ynnec,

Sorry I wasn't very clear, it wasn't my aim to drink that much I was just wondering if that sounded like too little/much to carry with checkpoints every 10k.

Great I'm glad that smaller vest looks suitable as I don't want to carry much extra weight.

Eeeeeekkkee I'm excited and terrified in equal measures about this challenge! :)
  • Those new to ultras (myself included) almost always pack too much, having suffered the "what ifs" and "just in cases". However you plan to cover the ground, consider how long it will take to cover the biggest gap between aid stations. Is it 60 minutes at your planned pace? 90? Two hours. That's how much water you need to be able to carry. Ultras will also sometimes bring the later aid stations closer together, to account for slowing runners, so the distance is less, but the time ends up being about the same. There's also nothing wrong with stopping at an aid station, necking 250ml there and then, and filling up your bottles. You get a free carrying capacity in your stomach then!

It's also worth pointing out that the vest you've linked to has a 5L capacity for stuff - it doesn't come with a 5L water bladder. It provides two pockets to carry 500ml flasks, so it's capacity for fluids is 1L.

As ever - test in training to be sure in the race. Never underestimate the power of pre-hydrating either. I don't mean drown yourself from the inside out two hours before the start - just make sure you're well hydrated in the 2-3 days leading up to the race - make sure you sip water through the day, have a glass by your bed etc. You can practice this on your long runs too. Done properly (and assuming it's not baking hot) you can run for quite a while without water and not suffer significant dehydration if you prepare properly.
  • ChloboChlobo ✭✭✭
    Thanks Smitters that's really helpful. I don't want to carry too much so will scope out what the checkpoints have to offer and just pack what they don't so I have everything covered. I'm excited and terrified in equal measures atm!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    How's your prep going, Chlobo?  I've covered the route you're doing as part of a longer event 4 times so I know the route reasonably well.  You're doing the second half of the 100K, aren't you? Likely to be exposed, dusty, and hot!  Would suggest road shoes unless it's very wet.
    1L carrying capacity for water will be fine.  You will also need to consider energy/electrolyte drink.  You could lose a lot of salt.
    It's a lovely area.  Well I think it is -  although I've run on the North Wessex Downs, it's always been at night!