Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Village Bakeries HM today,went off too fast,target was sub 1:27,and by 9 miles and I was under 1:25 pace,then hit some wind and slight incline and the combination,along with going too fast seemed to sap me,struggled through the last 4 miles to finish in 1:26:56 so 50 sec PB but I'm pretty certain there's more there,especially as I also had to stop to tie my lace,which cost me 20 secs. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Report from Seville. Lovely warm day with a slight breeze. Started at 8:30 and decided to go for 7 min pace and keep that up for as long as possible. The race was flat fast and uneventful and I went through half way in 1:32.5 feeling ok. I took a gel at half way and stuck to the pace. At 20 miles I started to get dodgy legs and a bit erratic but my pace stayed good, and in fact I starts to go faster and got up to 3 hour pace for the last 4 miles. I was passing a lot of people which gave me more motivation. In the end I finished in 3:04 with a 1 minute negative split. It was probably one of the most consistently paced Maras I’ve ever run. Less than a minute down on New York which is good considering recent troubles and interrupted training. Definitely a course I would recommend. Roll on London.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, that's brilliant. There is no doubt you are in excellent shape!

Ian, great work and a solid pb. Have a look on strava, miles 11-13 killed off everyone it seems. It was tough going gradually upwards straight into whay had become a solid headwind plus the field had thinned out. 

i was after sub 83 and looking on strava i knew this course measured long and id need 6.18mm to do it. I was absolutely cruising at 10 miles at 6 17 average, setting a 30 second 10 mile pb (unofficially of course), then i was literally hit from nowhere with a desire to vomit. I stopped briefly to recompose and then struggled to regain rhythm, particularly as it was a tough section. I managed things as best i could coming on 83.44, 9 seconds short of a pb. My average pace however was the fastest ive ever held ovrr half distance (my pb measured 13.10) and had it been a 10 miler I'd  have got a big pb so I'm not going to dwell on it. Onwards and upwards!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very good runs for both of you on what sounds a tricky course. Massive improvement from the brass monkey DT well done and back on course!
  • Well done all, but a special mention to OO. Not bad for a B race!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oo, yes i needed that. My last 2 halves have been brass monkey disaster snd Worcester in Sept in 86.59. I thought i had randomly lost my race legs so feel reasdured now and a bit more confident. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-Great running,my last marathon was my first negative split and it felt so good so really well done on the performance.
    DT-Glad you're happy with your time,I got a 10 mile pb also but only ever ran 1,I seen what you meant about 11-13,I know lots who got Pb's today but all struggled there,hopefully means more to come off next time.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    excellent, OO & DT (that 10 mile split is a great marker)  . . .     
  • Congrats all on some great times; a good weekend of thread racing.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Brilliant pacing and an excellent time at Seville, OO.  Given the training in the lead up that's an impressive result.

Excellent effort on the HM PB, DT.  You just need a good course and good conditions and you'll smash it!  Perhaps you need to target a 10 mile race.

Well done on the PB on a tricky day Ian.  That's a very fast time given the conditions and the shoelace incident!

Will check out the Hal Higdon training nicko.  I've added in lots of hilly routes to my plan but I will need to add in some downhill tempo runs.  I went metric in 2010 when I got the first Garmin - I thought a pace of 5:00 m/km sounded faster than 8:00 m/m!  All my stats are in metric but I tend to convert to imperial when quoting numbers to the forum!  And for the long runs, it's essential to run 32.2K rather than 32K!

Last run of the cut-back week, 16 miles on my out and back hilly Boston route at 7:41m/m.  Felt very short and the legs were feeling nice and bouncy.  Felt rude not to throw in a penultimate 6:47 mile.  66 miles for the week and a big week (c. 80 miles) ahead.  

• 3.04 marathon as an easy B race OO? You're going to fly in London!

You're back in the game Joolska :)

I missed a V40 prize by 2 seconds today (If only I'd known I'd have chased a bit harder) and failed to hit MP for the last 10k of my progressive 30k race. Feeling a bit flat!
  • Even worse, I was 11 seconds quicker than her on chip time but started far back because I was starting slowly!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That will teach you Speedy ;)
    Yes I'm reassessing some of my normal training habits. Like doong 5 * 20 miles runs- I only did one. Also had total rest 4 days before the race which I never do. Can only assume some benefit form NY and Jersey was still in my legs. Not sure now what to do for London, more of the same I guess.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ian, a largely flat half with half decent conditions in mid feb with a good numbrr of sub 90 runners will always produce a lot of pbs. I finished 145th in 83 mins. In wolves i came 10th and Worcester 27th in similar times. Plus its the first big half since September for many so lots of winter training gains to show off!

Going well, SBD. Your summer injury is very much behind you. 

Hard luck, Speedy. Unfortunately the rules are such that if youre a podium possibility you need to start up top. 

Oddly despite the quality of field today only 3 women finished ahead of me, and one of those was seconds ahead. 
  • Good racing OO54, DT19.

You know the rules speedy, gun time for prizes, chip time for facebook ;-)
  • Still annoying. If I'd started at the front I'd have been in the way of most of the runners I'd be passing again later. My common sense and etiquette robbed me of cash!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I always remember where I’m gonna finish and position myself accordingly. Too many people push to the front then die spectacularly.
  • Jools - nice long run to finish a very decent week.
    Ian - that's a great effort and always good to bag a PB. More to come, as you say.
    OO - wow, that's a cracking result. Rightly confident for London now.
    DT - another great effort and result. No doubt another PB is just waiting to be taken.
    SBD - nice way to finish the cut-back week. This one must be the final week in the threshold cycle, I reckon?
    Speedy - annoying indeed! You were robbed. Will there be a re-match when you can get your revenge?
    Repeat of the 8 x 1km-ish session today and pleased to improve on the effort a couple of weeks ago. Scores on the doors were 3:50, 3: 44, 3:41, 3:40, 3:40, 3:39, 3:40, 3:35. 15 miles in total.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Speedy-that's really annoying,I knew top places were decided by gun but didn't realise age group were also.
    SBD-That's a really good pace,did I read that right?cutback week @66 miles.
    Gul-Thats the type of interval I need to do I think to improve,you said 15 altogether,how do you place the intervals in a long run? Great for you to see improvements coming along.
    DT-143rd in that time is a sign of a quality field.
    Easy 6 miles after work today,hopefully 4 bigger weeks now to get ready for Manchester.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to go on but quite pleased with my pacing in Seville. Each 5k is almost identical except the last at 35k when I picked it up a bit.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-That's well worth going on about,incredible pacing,I really like the fact you overtook a quarter of the field who were in front of you in the 2nd half.
  • OO - that is fantastic pacing and a great result. Injury free you'll be a lot faster in London. Probably don't need a huge amount of training between now and then.

Ian - Great PB in the half, always good to get one half way through mara training, bodes well.

DT- Do you think the maurten had any influence on the mile 10 issues? Nontheless it was a fantastic performance. 

Speedy - Unlucky on missing out on your prize! What race were you running?

Ian/Mike welcome! I'll have a proper catch up of the thread tomorrow. Went for a lovely 6m run up and down the Lagan river in Belfast yesterday. Going to attempt a full schedule this week.

Ps Gul i hope the shed building has gone well and is finished!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    OO - super pacing - and don't worry - you're not "going on" - we love this stuff 
             well done !!!    B)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I hadn’t spotted that Ian, thanks for pointing it out!
  • Very impressive pacing OO, thats actually some ridiculous consistency. Hope the legs are feeling OK today.

Another great session there Gul hitting those times for 1ks during a longer run show some serious form right now.

SBD - nice cutback week getting up to 66! Really putting in the Volume.

8 tonight with 6 at the club progression run. With a week until my HM tester I gave the Vaporfly 4% their first outing; so light, and a very different feel to start with; but got used to them and pleased with the feel.

No one was feeling top today so ended up out front running on my own for the return leg; pushed at a decent clip but not all out. Miles came out at 7:51, 7:25, 7:18, 6:41, 6:18, 5:55 and a 5:48 .4 stretch to finish.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent paces on the club progression run nicko.  I'm trying my best to resist the Vaporflys!

Good to hear you're back on track Stevie.

Definitely worth framing OO!  That's the type of negative split we all dream of but rarely achieve.

Ian - yes, 66 miles for the cut-back week, have been up to 78 over the previous 3 weeks and plan to peak at 80.  Hope the legs are recovering.

A tidy set of intervals Gul.  Eight sets of 1K sounds a lot - I've never done more than six.  Yes, final week in the P&D threshold cycle - so a 11k tempo and a 24 mile Long Run to look forward to!

6 miles recovery on the treadmill this evening, all nice and slow at 8:24 m/m pace.

• Great going OO - super consistent pacing and bodes really well for London. Are you staying out in Sevilla long enough to enjoy the post marathon feeling there? 

Congrats to you to as well DT - feels like a real confidence booster.

That's a gutter Speedy, but important to focus on the bigger picture and take the positives out.

Nice reps from Gul and steady progression from Nicko.

Belated welcome to Ian and Mike. As others have said, plenty of inspiration on here, coupled with some good dosages of madness. Talking of which, what are you up to at the moment Poacher

Sounds like you're in good shape for Boston SBD. My training is going OK - 55 miles last week including 21 on Saturday. Just need to build some more speed sessions in to my rather ad hoc schedule now. 

That said, I had my first rest day for a month yesterday as I'm on a short break in Moldova with a mate at the moment. Needed to use up a bit of holiday before the end of February and for a number of reasons this seemed like a good place to visit. Got my running gear with me so hoping to fit one in somehow, although probably won't be during our planned trip to the semi-autonomous region of Transnistria later today! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the holiday Lorenzo. I’m home now but we had a pleasant 5 nights- very nice place I would recommend Seville for a short break. 
  • Hi all, sorry I have trouble keeping up, well done everyone for recent runs, its great to see the enthusiasm and keeps my motivation up, although looks like Annecey is out for me due to family and work issues. I may readjust things and go for Milan the week before.

hI ian, great story, welcome from another newbie, interesting to hear how you manage the injury, and the benefits in some ways of dropping the speed work aa bit in favour of longer easier miles. i have done my long runs around 8 to 820(although I'm struggling with all the km conversion!) but reckon I should maybe go a bit slower....

00 hope you enjoyed Seville, nice photo!
  • Ian - I did about 3.5 miles w/u then the 8 reps / recoveries, which totalled around 7.5 miles, and finished with a 4 mile warm-down.
    OO - that makes for very impressive reading - top form.
    Stevie - felt is going on today, along with other finishing touches, thanks to my father-in-law with assistance from Mrs GD.
    nicko - that's a very strong finish to your progressive run - nice work.
    SBD - heavy week ahead then! I'm hoping to do a long SLOW run this week. I've pencilled in Thursday as the rest of the family are off school and work. Time permitting it would be good to get somewhere near 24.
    Lorenzo - pleased to hear your training is going well. Enjoy the holiday.
    mike - sorry to hear you're having to change your plans. Hope Milan works out okay.
    10 slow miles this morning.