Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Macca... what a great 5K time to put alongside your accomplishments at long distances - that's a wide spectrum of distances you're good at.  (and all the better that you did it after THOSE two days!)

Jools..  so you were physically and mentally weak?  Well, I suppose it's all relative!

Ramjet... nice half.  BTW, I don't know whether I said on here that I've deferred my Manchester entry to next year - my family reasons for running this time disappeared. But Newport has always been my focus anyway.

Chiksta.. nice bit of joyful social running by the sounds of it.

AWC... a tad better than my MP run.  Envious of how easy it all was!

Joe... massive!

HPR.  Hydration...  p32 of P&D 2nd edition states that 2% dehydration (I think 2% bodyweight loss) leads to 4-6% reduction in running performance.  So if, for example, you're 11 stone and you lost 6lb on the run, that's a 3.9% body weight loss, which would mean about 10% reduction in performance even it the effect of dehydration is linear.  In reality, I'd guess that it's not linear and that you could expect maybe 15 or even 20% reduction in pace... which seems to be in the ballpark of what you experienced.    Personally, I'd never go over 17m without water. I either take a bottle in my ultra vest if on a long slowish/hot run... or if I want freedom from that (much more often than not), I plan a route where I know there is a tap or a shop.  Incidentally, no way would I have not been out last night trudging out 3.01 miles! 

I did junior park run with my little one yesterday - She did her first in Oct 2017 and I was pleased with her time of 14.24 but she went backwards from there, and finally beat that time (by 2 seconds) yesterday.  All very unremarkable results... except I noticed a quirk that is a bit more remarkable is that of her last five results - she has finished exactly 57th on four of those occasions (and 59th on the other).  And this consistency despite them being spread over 12 month, and times 14.xx, 15.xx, 16.xx, 20.xx and 23.xx  - so massively varying (the slowest two involved falls/hurting herself).    I'm sure that a few of you can match that consistency with some 1st and 2nd place finishes... but anyone else got anything quite like that?!

The above jog left me on 39.3m for the week so I was out at 10.30pm last night going back and forth between two zebra crossings to get in an extra couple of miles.  Physiologically pointless, but psychologically important!

edit  ps...  big weeks for SQ and Spoons (hope the glute's OK!) appeared since I started this post ages ago
  • Options

NE - I like the 3.01 miles - not 3 miles!!! LOL

How distance is junior park run? Presume its not 5k

• Options
    X post. Sorry to hear about the glute spoons. Wise to rest. Highly recommend a hockey or cricket ball to roll it
  • Options
    HA, Macca, Joe, Spoons et al. Great long runs and Parkrun PB for Macca. Mindboggling mileage by some of you

Chicksta-Nice pacing and PR volunteering

HPR-In terms of hydration on long runs, I generally wake up dehydrated so down a pint of water then. I'll then sip half a bottle of lucozade (and visit toilet!) before going out and then finish the other half on my first 5 miles. I'll then discard the bottle and then plan to finish my run near a shop and grab some water then alongside a snack. Seems to work for me but I'll only sip water during an actual race

Had a nice even paced 19 miler on Saturday (7:50s) and then 10k recovery this morning. Planning the full 70 miles this week including a big 22/23 miler at the weekend
  • Options
    I forgot to add: thinking of buying the New Balance 1080s. Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad?
  • Options

I had a pair of new balance 1080s - they were pretty good, but did not last too long, quite good cushioning for a light shoe as I remember and a good price. I would buy again if on a good offer.

19 miles at 7:50 pace sounds like you are in pretty good shape George... you still sandbagging your marathon time or trying for sub 3?

• Options

SQ yes I wore my old VFs. They’re at 180 miles now and definitely feel less stiff (when pushing between the heel and toe) than the new pair I have waiting for Wokingham and London. Based on recent race results, I’ll be lucky if I can keep up with you! Nice work at XC, looked like a good fun and definitely a good workout. 

NE/HPR - this recent article by Alex Hutchinson might be worth reading: https://www.outsideonline.com/2387156/best-hydration-plan-drink-when-youre-thirsty - good overview of current research/thinking on hydration.

Congrats to your daughter on the PB NE. Funny coincidence about the position. 

Nice long run George.

Thanks for the glute advice SQ. I’ve got a hard rubber ball I got when trying to deal with my PF, so that’s worked well. It definitely feels easier now, but I will take a full rest day today to be on the safe side. Think I’ve earned a day off! At least my body has been good enough to time its niggles for a recovery week again.

• Options
    Interesting that the VFs are now more available. Hoping Runners Need might stick them as some point. With Vitality insurance I get a pair of half price trainers once a year with them and that would be a real saving. 

Great log run George. You’re making solid progress. 

Super JPR from your little one, NE. I can’t wait for mine to then 4 so we can head along. Although I’m super keen for it to be a zero pressure experience. 

Re the NB - I’ve obly ever worn Zantes. Absolutely love them. On my seventh pair - reasonably light but a great mileage option. Have worn them for two successful marathons, although the Adios topped them for speedy options. 

Wanted to get out for a short recovery double this afternoon, but putting up trellises and playing tag won the day. 
  • Options
    Great article about hydration and really interesting. Similar to a chapter in his book. I love how Kipchoge is an example, IIRC, and the possible weight saving effect of mild dehydration later in a marathon is explored. I do think there has, as with lots of other areas, been a huge influence by big firms, eg Luczade to alter the thinking on what is the norm. 
  • Options
    Re influence of big firms, that reminds me of another good hydration article I read recently: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-dont-need-sports-drinks-to-stay-hydrated/. The new book by the author of that article, all about recovery, looks interesting. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    HA - Well done on the tempo 

Spoons - cracking long run, hope the glute is ok.

SQ - hope wokingham goes well, no reason why it shouldn't, you have been racing well, so with fresher legs you might really fly.

Good long run that george, goid miles too.

15m run home tonight, got rained on and cold and had to resist cutting it short, so happy to get the full 15 done.
  • Options
    Another good MLR in the bag TR, well done.  Interesting approach, those 10ks show you’ve got the speed and I’m sure the MLRs and LRs will take care of the rest.

Well done on the between Zebra crossing reps NE.

Well done on the LRs George and FBT, good luck with the even longer LR next weekend George.

Good to read that the fast tempo session is even faster this week HA. I have a favourite tempo route which feels pan flat on a LR but on a tempo the difference between up and down can be 10-20 secs per mile on a good day.

Fantastic LR session RSR, hopefully back close to where you were.  Hope the glute  turns out to be nothing.

Great Xc pics on Strava SQ, good effort to.

Joe - 20m sounds more novice😂 it was me mis reading it but I did chuckle at the thought of them been dragged round for 50m.

This weeks plan should be 10, 9 w 5x600, 15, 7,6 10k tune up, 18.  I think I’ll rearrange to 15(done), 10, 9 w 2@HMP, 7,6, 5 then HM with some pre/post.  I’ll have a think about hmp pace on Weds.

• Options
    If anyone has deserved a day off Spoons, it's you! Some incredible training being logged. If you're still looking opinions re; this week, I think a significant reduction would be wise. Will let your body absorb the training and leave you fresher for Wokingham (sub 1:20 with your eyes closed is my prediction). If it helps, I'm doing the same.. ;):D 

SQ - nice racing at the XC, always super tough! look forward to catching up at the weekend. 

Top stuff getting it done TR - always hard when you're not feeling it. 

Macca - Still a pretty big week then! We should all aim to get some miles in together post race. 

Think I've decided on bike session tonight, MLR tomorrow, shorter run with HMP on Thursday and then easy until sunday. 

Nearly time to work out if we're all going to be running together or not..

I really don't know how the last few weeks of training are going to land, but at the moment I've got half an eye on a mid 1:18...
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should all hold hands and skip around together?
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I think there could be some seriously good performances and hopefully some sandbagging will be exposed. Looking forward to seeing the results. 

Weather forecast is looking perfect on Sunday.
  • Options
    Surely with this amount of thread interest a mini-prediction competition is in order.. 
  • Options
    This thread is moving fast!! If I miss anyone I'm sorry!!
    Joe / TR / HPR / HA / Spoons - Great long runs.
    Macca - Nice 5k on tired legs, awesome stuff.
    SQ - Nice LT XC run.
    16 miles for me on Saturday which felt good, then Sunday was 90 minutes on the bike (23 miles)  and 5 miles, struggled to run slow (target was 8:30s) so let it flow (couple of 7:45s) and chucked in an LT mile (6:18) and an MP mile (6:48). Not run today as my nose is streaming, so taking a rest day. Hoping to get out tomorrow.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - yes  i have wnough leg speed  just need to make my legs steely again, after a compromised couple of years.

Steve - good weekend there inc a couple of sharp miles.

Wokingham sounds good, i tend to avoid it as its a ball ache to get to for me.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Back to some quicker running today, as minimal ice and no racing in my legs. 10 inc 15x3min reps.
  • Options

Well done toughing out the MLR TR. Big reps too!

Another solid weekend Steve.

Sub-6 or bust Macca!

Thanks for the advice Joe, agree although currently I don’t have much choice about reducing mileage…

So yesterday evening after some yoga my glute felt basically normal again, and I was pleased to wake up with it still feeling good. I was feeling positive and looking forward to a recovery run this afternoon. However when I walked to the shops earlier it became very sore and tight again, so something is definitely not right. It now feels back to where I was yesterday - sore but gradually loosening off with rolling. 

Very frustrating after such a good week last week, particularly as it’s seemingly come out of the blue. But it looks like at least one more rest day. Will see if I can get a physio appointment to get a professional opinion.

• Options
    Jooligan - Sorry the half didn’t go to plan, with the amount you race I’m sure you’ll have put it right in no time at all
    Macca - Ridiculous to PB at parkrun after the week and in particular 2 days you’d had before, you’re absolutely flying
    FBT - well done on the highest mileage week and 20 miler
    HA77 - Nice tempo and always good to see week on week improvement
    Joe - I was actually going to comment on a Strava that to do 50 miles at about 17mph they must be pretty good novices!
    Spoons - Sorry to hear the glute is still playing up, hopefully it’s nothing serious. With the training you’ve been getting in recently, I can’t see 2 days off being too detrimental
    SQ - Well done on the XC and 80+ for the week
    NE - loved the back of the packet maths and I’d completely forgot about that part of the book. It was actually only 2.4 miles needed to make the 100, but I decided to rehydrate and rest the legs rather than risking any further damage. There are 2 more weeks in the plan where I’m eyeing getting to 100 miles anyway. Well done to your daughter on her PB and to you on the zebra crossing shuttle run  :)
    George - Nice LR, I think you’re in very good shape to beat 3:10 if you’re hitting 7:50s for 19 miles. When I ran 3:13, outside of the MP runs I wasn’t averaging anything faster than 8:10.
    TR - well done on the toughed out 15 and the 3 mins reps today.
    SteveMac - Good weekend of running and cycling. Always a nice problem to have when you’re struggling to run slow!

Thanks everyone on your hydration advice. I don’t generally take on any water during long runs, but think I was caught out by the nicer weather. Also, I was out celebrating a friend’s birthday Saturday night, so probably started a little dehydrated. I’ll make sure to take some cash out with me in future in case I have any similar issues, I hate being weighed down by bottles/ bags so don’t think I’ll start taking water as standard and I wouldn’t risk stashing a bottle in central London. I should probably start doing my LRs earlier as well, not just so it’s cooler but also to start preparing my body to run at a similar time to race day. I have a relative who worked at the worst team in the premier league and they would train at 3pm in the days running up to a Saturday 3pm kick off for this reason.

Spoons, interesting articles thanks for linking to them. I watched what I think was a bbc documentary a few years ago on hydration and the advice has always stayed with me. It also said drinking to thirst was the correct strategy and I think cited a study done with the South African army. With the dangers of over hydration, it’s definitely something people should be more aware of. 

7 mile recovery yesterday and have 5 x 600m VO2 max session this evening. It will be interesting to see how difficult the session is after Sunday.
  • Options
    A decent weekend there Steve, hope you knock that cold on the head.

15x3 mins sounds like a Spoons/JB monster type session TR - well done.

Very frustrating Spoons, fingers crossed a slightly more severe taper than planned could work out ok in the end.

Based on 7@6:05 in training last week I’ll shoot for 13.1 @ 6:06 (1:20) - how hard can a 6 mile death march be ?

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    how hard can a 6 mile death march be ?
    Like a lot of my marathon experiences: bloody painful :D Don't think you need to worry about your endurance adaptations though tbh Macca!!
    You're certainly back on song Steve.
    Decent 2 days there TR. I think you underplay how much faster training you do as I recall several MP sections, progressive & 3 minute efforts as part of your MLRs, when you've not been racing 10K/HM that is.
    Complete day off yesterday - not even my usual gym session/swim. Not done anything yet today either so won't be anything big. No harm in recovering properly & having a proper crack at Wokey. I've averaged 69 mpw for 16 weeks so it'll probably do me some good.
  • Options
    Macca - honestly mate, running 7 miles continuous @ half marathon pace is nigh on impossible in training, I don't know anyone that could do it and that be their actual half pace.

Taking into account that was also in the midst of an absolutely massive training week, I think sub 6s are more than achievable. You got this :grimace: 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Jools - yes, ive defo tried to make a better effort this time round.  More of everything, if there's any justice in this running game, i should be on for the race win at Brighton !!!!!

Hyde P - yes, the Brett Sutton stylie 0.5m reps.

Spoons - hope you get you niggle sorted quickly, could be a simple as overcooking the s and c.

Macca - i could never do more than a few miles at hmp in training. But then i suppose i didnt try very often.
  • Options

Come on Macca - MTFU......
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Spoon - fingers crossed it doesn't linger. A couple of days off and an easy week certainly won't hurt your fitness.

Jools - agree on the plan. Fresh and raring to go by Sunday.

TR - Great session. I really like 3 min on / 1 min off as a fartlek but never got up to 15 of them. Well done.

george - Hope you're ok for the session tonight. If you're feeling heavy and slow, it might be worthwhile prioritising recovery. I do like to do sessions on tired legs but I think to get the most out of a proper VO2 session it's good to have some spring in your legs. Certainly for me, as I've got older, a really fast session on dead legs is a path to injury. 

I'm feeling like a bit of a wet blanket here, telling everyone to hold back.

SQ - Great work on the XC and big mileage.

Steve - That's the best sort of run when you just feel like going faster.

Here are some predictions. PBs all round!!!! Sorry for missing out people, I didn't have a good feeling of paces for everyone.
    Joe - 76:30
    Macca - 78:20
    SQ - 78:21
    Spoon - 79:40
    Jools - 83:00

• Options
    This is what I'm talking about. A bit of thread pressure/encouragement :D 

Can't wait to see that Macca/SQ sprint finish. HA - have a word, I'm not going near a 76.

Joe - 78:42
    Macca - 78:57
    SQ - 78:13
    Spoon - 77:15
    Jools - 82:14
  • Options
    So HA, you’ve got Macca and me for a massive smack down sprint finish. I’ll start working on those sharp elbows! I reckon the spread of times won’t be far off, although glute permitting, I think spoons could PB. 
    Another good article, spoons. It is incredible how one or two highly selective studies can go on to have such a big impact. I really hope the glute is OK. Nicola certainly helped mine if you want to call her. Either way you certainly time injuries and tapers well to turn up fast on race day. Have faith!
    Huge session, TR. super training from you of late.  
    Well deserved rest, Jooligan. Can believe you are wise enough to take a day off and I’m not. I must learn! 
    Good idea, HPR, about training when you race will be. I need to do a bit of that. If nothing else to get used to going to the toilet without the aid of a morning run!
    Macca I completely agree with Joe’s comment re training paces. Whilst I think you are very good at pushing yourself in training, 7 at LT is bloody hard to achieve. It’d be genuinely good to set off at 6m/m pace with you, spoons and Joe. Get a good group around us. At least until the flat cap burns off up the road after the motorway bridge. 

At the risk of a sandbag alert, I definitely feel like I have some kind of underlying virus. Probably paying the price for digging myself into a bit of a hole the last few weeks. Easy 6 and a bit today, but still very slow. No point pushing it. I will try to not get too disheartened when trying a couple of HMP miles. 
  • Options
    Cross post with Joe. An amazing sandbager!

Joe 76:52
    spoons 77:58
    Macca 78:14
    SQ 78:49 (although would be delighted with a sub 79:45 PB)
    Jools 83:13

Anyone still up for 4-5 miles easy after? I intend to head back out on the course for half that then ten round. Nice way to cheer on other runners. And get loads of ‘you’re going the wrong way’ chat.