P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• Joe have you tried the magic shoes yet?
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    SQ - I think you're right about Spoon, glute permitting. I had in my head he'd only just gone under 80min but I'll revise my list accordingly. A bit of a cold right now is great, it just means you'll rest more for the rest of the week and be fresher come Sunday.

Joe - It's got that Valencia 2017 feel about it. Coming off an IM, getting back into running and building rapidly.

Joe - 76:30
    Macca - 78:20
    SQ - 78:21
    Spoon - 78:40
    Jools - 83:00
  • Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yep, 100% keen for the turn around and run cool down. 

Edit - SQ - not tried the magic shoes yet. Was thinking just a few miles in them Thursday.. 

• LOL - Gotta love Joes Sandbagging!
  • MaccatheknaccaMaccatheknacca ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    HPR - x post earlier today, good luck with the vo2 session.

Jools - park running this weekend ?😉

SQ - hope it’s a 24hr something and nothing virus, or sandbaggery of the highest order.

OK - so I’ve deep dived (wanky expression) into excel and have found in
    2017 LT @ 6:32 converted to hmp 6:25

2018 LT @ 6:40 converted to hmp 6:35

2019 LT @ 6:05.......,....,

6:00 min miling it is then.  If I get anywhere near that I’ll eat.......Joe’s hat (only kidding Joe).
  • MaccatheknaccaMaccatheknacca ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Up for some apres miles too.
    Predictions to follow.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Some punchy numbers for this weekend's half up there - excited to see how you guys go!
    Lots to catch up on and I've not even tried. Been off the scene the last week or so as my granny died last week and I've been travelling back home to Northern Ireland for the funeral. Managed to get some miles in over there though. I love running in rural areas like that as the scenery is stunning.
    Back in the office today and had an early morning VO2max session - 6x800m which went surprisingly well. Ran between 3:00 and 3:05 per interval which I'm more than happy with at this stage.
    Standing desk is going well - its great after a morning run not sitting in your desk and ceasing up, plus I move about a lot more during the day. Took a while to get used to typing but my brain seems to have adjust now to the new angle
  • Sorry to hear that AWC. But the rural running sounds lovely. 

Bodes well Macca. I’m just really keen to stay in a group for the second half. Last year second half solo was hard work, especially over the motorway bridge. Definitely more than 24 hours have had had little energy since Thursday. Hoping half term is well timed in that respect. 

Went for for a walk in the Forest of Dean this afternoon. Got the juices flowing for the half in a month’s time. Anyone else doing it? Surprisingly little time difference from a flat road half. 
  • Sorry to read that AWC. Sad times.
  • Condolences AWC
    Classic Spoons taper - injury enforced. It's probably mostly your mind forcing you to freshen up properly so you can smash the PB.
    SQ I'll be very surprised if you don't PB given your recent racing & training form. Just keep the powder dry this week.
    Good man Macca, chuck those sandbags back at Joe :p I will of course be parkrunning but I'm marshalling the fell race rather than running it :)
    Think HA has a good point JB. You'll fly round even if you put in a crazy week of tri-training. I see you knocked 10s off your prediction from earlier ;) 
    Not at all confident about this 83 malarkey. Not really seen anything to back up that kind of outcome however I reckon 85 should be feasible. I'll certainly be looking to trot a few miles out afterwards if you speedsters can hang about long enough that'd be great.
    Finally got my arse in gear at 5pm: 30 minutes in the pool then straight up the track for an hour. First session with the club in a very long time. Twice 6x2min off 90s with 5 min between sets. Paced it well averaged 6:02 for the 1st set & 5:52 for the 2nd set. 8.3M in 60 minutes all told.
  • HA77 - I think you may be confusing George and me, I hadn't seen him mention a VO2 session.
    SQ - Hope you're not coming down with anything.
    AWC - Sorry for your loss.
    Jooligan - Sounds like you had a good session, although I'm a little confused on what you actually did.

I'm up for some miles post Wokingham as well if the fast guys can hold on a little bit. I think my plan is going to be to start with the 85 pacer and see how I feel around half way.

My legs felt a lot better than yesterday for the VO2 max session this eve. Completed the 600m reps averaging around 2:15, which I was fairly happy with as it was on a section of pavement and I did 3 reps into the wind and 2 down. Going to do back to back MLRs the next 2 days and then taper for Sunday.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    AWC - Sorry to hear the news. Hope that you and your family are coping ok.

HPR - Apologies. Yes I did mean you. Glad you got through the session ok.

Jools - 83 is based on your recent consistent mileage and your uncharacteristically restful start to the week. Put the two together and I think you'll do well provided you don't do anything crazy for the rest of the week, which isn't out of the realms of possibility.

A steady 12 miles this morning, ticking along most of the time around 6:30/mile. Hopefully get out for a fartlek session tonight.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    HPR Sounds like we might be running together at Wokingham. Hadn't realised there was an 85 minute pacer so will probably join the group if it's not too large. I'm thinking similar to yourself for the rest of the week though just the one MLR: 12M, 8M, 5M, 4M. Btw the session was 6x 2min Vo2 efforts with 90s jog recoveries then we switched direction, had a 5 minute recovery jog then repeated the 6x 2 minutes. My pace for the 2 minutes was very similar to your 600s
    HA as you can see certainly no plans to go crazy for the rest of the week. Although I will be parkrunning Saturday I'm doing my local one & will try for a progressive effort to act as a sharpener rather than burying myself. Decent MLR from you this morning already. Mine will be much slower even relative to our race paces.
  • Good vo2s HPR & AWC, nice track Jools and ticking over at 6:30 sounds good HA.

Joe 77:30
    SQ 78:30
    Millsy 82:00
    Macca 82:00
    Jools 84:30
    HPR 85

NB I don’t like to add RSR with the fitness worries (superstition) fingers crossed, hope it’s ok to add Millsy & HPR.  There’s a few just outside Pb shape but I think they might be closer than they think. Jools time is subject to change if I see an eyeballs out PR on Strava on Sat morning. Is Reg playing / running ?
  • Good to see you back into it, Jools. Agree with HA. A sensible week could lead to good things at the race. A bigger group to run with than VB will also help. Yep let’s team up after as long as you’re keen for a relatively speedy turnaround. 
    HPR nice session. I think with a pacer for the first 10m you’ll be in a good place to speed up at the end. 
    Another strong run, HA. Will you get out in the Cotswolds at all?
    Continuing the P&D taper to aid recovery, I tried the 8 with 2 dress rehearsal. Obviously didn’t don race kit, but tried hard for the middle two. 6:07 and 6:02 on the watch. Not hat I’d hope for on race day, but I’ll take that with the lingering cough and on a windy day. Back on the garden labouring this afternoon but hoping s few more good nights of sleep will sort me for the weekend. Will see the lowest weekly mileage in months as a positive!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys <3
    SQ: FoD half sounds lovely. I'm planning on Weymouth half in a month which is also very pretty but in a different way!
    HPR: nice 600m reps - always like doing a few of those pre a half as they make me feel fast again
    5 mile recovery this morning and run commute home this evening. Enjoying half term as I can be a bit more flexible with running when I don't have to get my daughter ready for school!
  • Joe 76:52
    spoons 77:58
    Macca 78:14
    SQ 78:49 (although would be delighted with a sub 79:45 PB)
    millsy 82:57
    Jools 83:13
    HPR 83:13 dead heat!
  • Macca - you seen a couple of sandbags I left lying around? Can't seem to find them anywhere.. 

12 this morning @ 7:25mm. Didn't feel great, mainly because I ripped my legs to pieces during a bike session last night. Probably one of the most intense I've ever done - 20 reps of 1 minute and I was having serious doubts after 3..
  • Some serious times expected this weekend... interesting.

Sorry to hear AWC and nice intervals..

Interesting Macca times re getting faster and mine are getting slower year on year. You must be getting younger Macca.

• 82 Macca! Come on 78:40 unless you're planning another marathon Friday in which case you're probably about right :D 
    SQ  78:39 outsprints Macca on the line :p ps I'm in for FoD half too.
    Joe 76:40 That bike session certainly looked painful from the Strava pics, easy from now on eh ;)
    Millsy 82:59
    Spoons 78:20 drifts away from the group at 12M then sprints the last 200yds
    HPR 83:59
    Jooligan 84:20 Still not convinced but hopefully I can knock a few seconds off last year's PB

• * sticks head in the forum door to hug AWC *

Really sorry to read about your loss. Thoughs are with you and yours.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Apologies for not being on this week. Work has been manic and car broke down on Monday so Lots going on.

I’ll add my prediction to the list for Wokingham

Joe 76:52
    spoons 77:58
    Macca 78:14
    SQ 78:49 (although would be delighted with a sub 79:45 PB)
    Jools 83:13
    Millsy 82:30 (no taper this year) 
  • Update for Jooligan: 104 minutes combined parkrun and half  ;)
  • That's going to be a rubbish HM prediction if I don't do pr SQ ;) On the other hand if I jog round in 26 minutes you'll have to watch your back :p 
  • Just dropping in to wish the Wokingham crew a whole lot of luck. I won't deign to make any predictions, sure you'll all do well.

Been dipping in and out of the thread and seeing some stupendous training that makes me feel both ashamed and that you are all kinda crazy (and I mean that in a good way).

I still have rib ache but my concussion has largely gone. The odd brain twinges here and there may be entirely normal, but I am more hyper aware due to the context. So after recovering I have managed to have an easy couple of 60 mile-ish weeks. I put myself through an overload weekend last, with a 17.07 course best at parkrun, then paced a 1.23 half  within 18.5 miles at the Village Bakery sponsored Wrexham Half, encountering Jooligan in the process.

Bit tired this week, so just 5m recovery run for me at lunchtime after 13m last night. Newport half coming up a week on Sunday, but really I'm just looking forward to the mileage cutback ahead of it. March will be a big scary month with the Gloucester 20 in the middle of it.  Think I will run it like the Village Bakery half, a steady run rather than marathon effort.
  • AWC-Sorry to hear your news

Muddy-Hope you are back to 100% soon. I missed your concussion news so hope all is well

Good luck to all those at Wokingham. I won't predict times but I think you all be pleasantly surprised as each of you looks to have put in a good training cycle.

FBT-My only marathon so far was a 3:24 so I don't think 3:10 is sandbagging! Here's to hoping!

Yesterday's session was 4x 2k which came out at 7:50 average for the reps and pretty much in control. Followed up by 5 mile recovery today

I took the plunge and bought the 1080s in the end. Very responsive so far but still need breaking in
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - sorry to hear that.

HydeP - nice mlr taper !

HA - well done on the 12.

12 and bike reps for joe too.

12 for me too tonight.
  • Wednesday dozen here too. Legs were tired from yesterday's track so it was a very slow plod around the hilly trails. First time below 15M for my midweek MLR - feels like a taper.
  • You certainly seem to be well placed George for a good PB there...

11 miles for me yesterday.

• Blimey muddy, brain twinges don’t sound great. Hope the recovery keeps going well. Great you’ve kept running. May possibly see you at Gloucester. 
    Well done on the MLRs FBT, TR and Jooligan. And nice reps George. 
    Recovery 6 for me this morning at the standard 8:40s. Hopefully a final day of digging in the garden.