Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Enjoy the trip, Lorenzo.

Good that you have the flexibility to be able to switch it over like that, Mike.

Nicko, that's a pretty speedy tempo there!

Nice 10, Gul.

SBD- Yes 66 miles would be 1 mile higher than my highest ever!

Stevie, good luck on banking the week. I didn't take a maurten gel on the day, or any gel in fact. I had a maurten 360 drink about an hour before. It would have had nothing to do with my issues, they have been going on far too long and consistently to be dietary. It is more a mental problem.

Easy 8 planned today. This week will be taken largely as a recovery, albeit I have my first 20 on Saturday morning in what looks like lovely weather.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    OO - massive, MASSIVE congratulations on a superb race in Seville. I spotted your achievement on Strava on Sunday but haven't had time to get on here to convey a solid well done, Sir. Chapeau!

Shame about those couple of seconds, Speedy. Good running nonetheless. But that cash prize... Don't think about the cash prize, the loot, the bounty, the what should have been yours... Nope, not worth thinking about...Really...  ;)

Welcome to the two new chaps! 

Had a mental week or so. Was working in Dublin for a couple of days last week and despite taking kit, couldn't get a run in, indeed, had to bin one due to lack of time, so only did 4 sessions last week.

Friday was a sneaky 5, Saturday was a slow 16 and Sunday was a recovery run on the muddy trails which turned into a 10 mile mud-fest. the weather was perfect, so just had some fun.

Got 5 miles in last night at more of a tempo pace, averaged 6.40 with a smashing 6.14 final split, my fastest road split for some time.

Might rest tonight as Woking FC are at home and I'll be there cheering us to the top of the league.

Hope you're bowled over by Moldova, Lorenzo!
  • Just stopping by to say really well done to OO. Great result and similar to your Jersey performance, finishing so strong. London could be good this year. Will have a catch up later.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    0054 cracking time and looking good for London 
    Ian set out for 1:27 came in 4 secs early ...perfect racing !
    Dt19 9 secs of a pb shows you are on form .
    Speedy if you are going to race then race don't hold back ,you still won on paper though !
    Gerard welcome back 

Got just over 10m on sunday my longest for 6 months to give 34m for the week .
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys and hope Woking don’t disappoint GDawg ;) 
    Hope you are ok Gerard. Yes very similar to Jersey but without the hill!
  • DT - enjoy your easy week and the 20 miler.
    GD - nice tempo run. Hope it was a good match last night.
    GM - Hi, hope all is well.
    Leslie - good progress.
    10 easy miles this morning (up one gear from yesterday's slow run).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-That's seriously impressive mileage,the most I've managed before is 62.
    Gdawg-Mixed memories of Woking,they were the first team we(Tranmere) beat in Non-League but I later seen us get battered 4-1 down there.
    DT-Interesting you use the Maurten,I started using SIS Betafuel for marathons,think it works the same,they don't seem to do it in the gel now but the liquid seems to work well for me.
    Couple of easy 6 milers since Sunday,they are my go to run after work,but hoping to increase them slightly over the next few weeks,then back to the 20's from this weekend hopefully.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Easy 6 milers are all part of the mix Ian - how many 20+ mile runs are you planning before Manchester?

More good miles Gul.  Have you given up following P&D?

That sounds like a solid week Leslie.

Speedy stuff G-D after the Dublin diversion (presumably no time for any Guiness!).

DT - don't forget that 66 miles includes three 6 mile recovery runs and I don't do any additional cross-training such as the spin classes!

After a week's respite it was back on the mid-week 15 miler.  Wasn't looking forward to it but ending up running really strong in relatively windy conditions, so 7:39 m/m average over an undulating course with a penultimate 6:30 mile.  That's at least 15 seconds per mile faster than the last four times I've run this course so pretty happy with that.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 10, Leslie. 

Gul, what's the shortest run you do? I cant recall you really ever mentioning anything under 10 miles?

SBD, nice 15. Yes fair point, i do spend 2.5 hours on spin and pump which is roughly 20 easy miles timewise. 

Ian, i used to run maras on a jelly baby every 4 miles. I then managed to find a gel i could tolerate finally for London ladt year but im limited to 4 even then. im hoping the maurten range do what they say. 

Hilly 8 mile mlr (deliberate recovery week stuff this week) yesterday. My legs werent happy but felt much better for it afterwards. easy 5 over lunch. Session if some nature tomorrow. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Ian. I was at that game. Great result but fortunes have been somewhat different since.

Woking won 3-1 last night and we got top of the league by 2 points, for now.

Ventured out on a 10 miler tonight. No real plans, just run strong. First 7 miles were all low sevens then pushed a tad to get sub-7 for the last 3 to average 6.59 for the trip.

A good marathon pace effort for London as I’ll attempt the same there as I did in Chicago and as OO did brilliantly in Seville on Sunday.
  • Ian - good to do some easy miles and let your body recover.
    SBD - good progress on your 15 mile MLR. Yes, I'm pretty much making it up as I go along this time, which obviously shows.
    DT - ditto with the recovery. I did a 5 miler on Sunday, but that's very much an exception at the moment (first single digit run of the month!) I seem to have had very busy weekends this year and I've got into a routine of cramming in my mileage into the midweek runs and taking a rest at the weekend rather than any short recovery runs. 
    GD - good result there and nice fast finish to your 10 miler.
    I was about 30 mins or so later than planned starting my run this morning, so had to pick up the pace nearer the end to fit in 22 miles (was hoping for 23-24). The first 14 averaged 8:46/m which was just what I was looking for, but the last 8 averaged 7:21/m and should have been around 8:00.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-I think I have 2x20 and a 22 lined up,coming off Gran Canaria so I'm hoping that's enough.
    Gul-That's a great pace for 22,how did the faster 2nd part feel?
    DT-Just a recovery week this week here also,10 miles today at a nice steady pace,Achilles is a little sore but always is after a race so just need to nurse it this week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice big run, Gul.

Yes, be carreful with that achillies Ian. That and pf are buggers to shift. 

Nice 10, gdawg. 

8 over lunch with 5 at mp/160 bpm. Came out 6.45 for 159 so decent enough 4 days after a race. Dare i say, it was a bit too warm....

Off with kids tomorrow as half term so sufferfest in morning at gym as they have corresponding kids clubs, then my first 20 saturday am in what looks like lovely conditions. Followed up with an afternoon of beer and rugby as rest day sunday. 
  • Anyone going to the National on Saturday? Say hello if you see me. You can't miss me. Ugly white, green and yellow Notts AC vest and bright purple hair :)

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Track tonight, first one in over a month.
    10 x 800 at 3 mins per rep with 30 secs recoveries.

Felt tired after last night’s 10 but pleased to have hit all 10 at 3 mins or just or just under. Quickest was 2.55.

A 2 mile warm up delivered 7 for the night.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I'm going, Speedy - not running; supporting my son and his mates . . . .    
  • Ian - yes, take care of those niggles. The last 4 miles yesterday were pretty much 7:00/m and felt like hard work!
    DT - have a good day with the kids and enjoy the weekend - sounds like a good one you have lined up.
    Speedy - sorry, I'll be at home in the garden again, but your description does sound interesting!
    GD - excellent work at the track.
    11 slow miles this morning. Legs felt tired following yesterday's long run - first mile today came in at 9:46! Brings up 68 for the week, and I'm not planning on venturing out for a run at the weekend.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Gul my 1st mile is always around 9:45, and often slower. It takes me 2-3 miles to properly warm up. Great weekly mileage Gul, I’ll get back to it in anger next week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Same here, my first mile is usually around 8.45. I dont know how people can run out of their front door and immediately hit say mara pace. Many do as i see on strava all the time. I think I'd be on my arse. 

Just spin today. 20 in the morning. 
  •  You can't miss me. bright purple hair :)

Surely that is description enough!
  • Speedy no one will miss you with that hair !
    Gdawg speedy reps
    Gul I don't know how people can knock out a fast first mile either ,these days its often 11m/mile !

Up after nightshift 2 warmup then 4x 1mile with 90 secs rest and got some speed today.
    7:13/ 6:53/7:06 /6:52  out and back with the out being a slight incline. 6.5 mile total.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good turn of speed Leslie.

I usually take a mile or more to warm up as well.

Lots of long runs in that 68 weekly total Gul.

Interesting choice of colour Speedy - you didn't feel the need to coordinate with the club vest? 

That sounds like more than enough Ian.

MP miles looking in the right zone DT.

It was the dreaded 11K tempo session today with 4K w/u and w/d.  It's the combination of gradually increasing distance (from 6K), the increasing pace from the previous tempo sessions and the fact that this is the last scheduled tempo session that makes this a killer.  An average split of 4:00 m/km or less is usually my ideal target.  Started at 4:04 m/km and hoped to push it up to 4:00 m/km after 4K and then to 3:55 m/km after another 3K.  Harder work than I expected and a bit of a struggle to move through the gears but managed to complete the 11K in 44:34.

Just need to get my mind around the planned 24 miles on Sunday.  Don't normally take any fluid with me but may need to leave some on the course in strategic places.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s a that’s a big one SBD. I’m really not sure how many long runs I’ll do on the way to London having done Seville. I was going thinking maybe 2*20 miles. This Sunday will certainly be a short one c10-12 miles.
    Keswick parkrun tomorrow, I’ll not push to hard. 
    Good luck at the Nationals all, I enjoyed it last year but can’t say I’m jealous.
  • I was coordinating with the rest of my wardrobe SBD. The club vest only comes out for races. I've also opted for hideous green and white shorts today, to complete the look!

I have a similar scary session planned for Friday night. 13 miles with 5 @ HMP. Last time I tried an HMP session I had to do it on the treadmill because of ice, and I failed dismally. I'm trying not to build it up too much in my head, but I'm really nervous about it. 
  • Yes, I usually find my first mile or so is slower - but not usually quite that slow!
    Leslie - good set of reps; that's encouraging.
    SBD - excellent tempo run executed with determination. Hope the 24 miler goes well tomorrow.
    OO - enjoy an easy run at Keswick parkrun ;)
    Speedy - excellent colour coordination. Have a blast!
    Yesterday lunch time, Mrs GD asked if I would like to do parkrun this weekend as she is off to the optician's. Couldn't turn down the opportunity, so turned up this morning not expecting much after Thursday's long run. Only ended up with a 20s PB! 1st lap was what I thought was a suicidal 5:40. Managed to hold on to somewhere around 6:00 per lap, probably helped by 2 or 3 runners, in 6:02 and 5:58, plus the last stretch in 0:41 to give me an unofficial time of 18:22. Tapering is definitely over-rated :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, Gul, I can't resist ;)  - but that superb result immediately sent me to the prediction calculator 

http://www.panix.com/~elflord/wava.cgi  

of course, all such predictions are dependent on the relevant training being done - but you more than fulfil that criteria . . .     

with that, I'm off to spectate at the National XC now . . .    
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That is sensational Gul I’ve been nowhere near those times for months. Hats off to you Sir.
    Meanwhile I put in a 20:20 at Keswick. I was actually happy with that as a nice progression run. Average HR below 130 says it all. Lovely weather in the Lakes :smile:
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Amazing time there Gul, well done!!

Solid work from OO in the Lakes.

18 mile LSR for me today. Legs tired after a high quality week and went on the more lumpy route. 
    Just kept it slow, didn't look at the watch and it came out at 8.11 pace.

The week from Sunday to Saturday clocked 50 miles, nice to start getting some proper numbers in as the campaign goes into the middle phase.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    First 20 this morning. Was very comfortable so picked it up last 7 to 7.30s for 7.55 average. Not feel at like ive run a 20, nominal stiffness. 

Gul, that's a huge pb over that distance, only 2 seconds off mine. As Birch says.....
  • sscssc ✭✭✭

Hi guys, any advice with the following:

My Garmin 630 stopped working a while ago and wouldn’t turn on. I presumed some of the rain had damaged it. Was going to bin it but thought I’d try one last time to change it. Normal screen came on, starting charging as normal- happy days!! Then pressed one of the buttons and got this! Everything now frozen. 
    I don’t know whether to bin it or be excited that it may be close to working again!
    As everyone on here is an experienced runner, I’d thought I’d see if anyone has seen this before 
    thanks for any help offered