Overdone it?

Comments

• Glad you are feeling better Lit. Enjoy the solo parenting. Be warned they will stare at you resentfully and complain the other parent doesn't ask them to do that :)

I did an unpleasant 13m on Tuesday night with some uphill hard work Mace. I got dazzled by oncoming headlines and ran into a small tree and yelped as it tweaked my ribs.

I had planned for more yesterday but settled for a very tired 5m recovery run. I have been feeling better today with an easy 6m at lunchtime and another 6m planned for this evening. The plan then is a double comprising 10m tomorrow then as many miles as I can manage at the weekend. This will include a 9th birthday party for the muddy-youngster. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sounds like you are going well, Lit.

Ah, 12 miles is now 'pleasant', Mace!

Good luck racing Lou and mcf.

I do hate it when I am in the lanes in the dark and cars come towards me and don't dip their headlights from full beam!

I did a hilly 8 Tuesday which my legs weren't happy about but felt a lot better for come yesterday. I then did 5 at recovery yesterday. Today I returned to a staple session of 5 at 160bpm which came out 6.45 for 159. It was rather warm in the sunshine! My first 20 of the year planned on Saturday morning.

I am also solo parenting until Monday night now. In muddy style I have booked and have to pay for a baby sitter Saturday morning for my 20! I have also decided to try and do something about this vomiting thing. I have a free consultation by phone tomorrow with a therapist who feels he can help me. Having never required any kind of counselling before I am dubious but a whole profession is built around it to treat people with actual real problems that make mine look trivial, so there is obviously something in it.

• Hope it works for you, DT.  Otherwise could try something like hypnotherapy. If it can get people to stop smoking it may get you to stop the nausea.  Fingers crossed.  

Lovely recovery 5 miles in the sun yesterday - bring on Spring!  Rest day today followed by an easy 4 or 5 tomorrow ahead of Sunday's 10k.  

In shoe related news I have had to purchase my first pair of non-Asics road shoes in about 6 years.  Always run in GT-1000's or 2000s but they're now giving me blisters between my toes and Google suggests they have started making them narrower in the toe box.  So trying some Saucony Guides, arrived yesterday but not sure whether I should size up further (or I'm just paranoid).  Anyone now how the sizing of Asics vs Saucony compares?    
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    DT19 said:

I have also decided to try and do something about this vomiting thing. I have a free consultation by phone tomorrow with a therapist who feels he can help me. Having never required any kind of counselling before I am dubious but a whole profession is built around it to treat people with actual real problems that make mine look trivial, so there is obviously something in it.

Interesting stuff - good luck

I got dazzled by oncoming headlines and ran into a small tree and yelped as it tweaked my ribs.

The SUN ?!  :s

McF - can't comment on the sizing, but i took delivery of 2 new pairs of Asics Pulse yesterday .... it's getting serious !!

Despite the 12M being comfortable on Wednesday, it turns out it was slower than i'd expect, although it seemed faster (probably as it was in the dark). Last night the plan was for 6 which turned into an extremely slow 5 (9:30/M), and the planned 6 this morning was ditched completely as i just wasn't feeling it. The old bod seemed to be asking for a day off so i obliged and hopefully will be ready tomorrow morning for a LR
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    mcf, yes hypnothereapy is also a consideration. As you say if it can break that hold of nicotine on someone then this ought to be childs play. 

I always find running in the dark faster than easy to be very difficult yet ferl like i am in fact running fast. 

I always wear gt1000 and recently bought the v7. Not noticed any difference personally. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Oops auto-correct worked its magic there. I hate to think what the headlines may have been.

I've had a mentally difficult set of runs this week where I've been willing every run to be finished though I've not taken on anything arduous. I really can't wait to cut back mileage next week.

McF - I found Asics to be variable within themselves. So the DS racers were always really snug, but the Gel-Nimbus ones were just right in size 11. There was a good correspondence between Saucony Guide and the Gel Nimbus for me in the mens shoes. This was ages ago though, before I got all lightweight neutral in my preferences and used Kinvaras pretty much all the time.

Oh yeah - light mornings ! Hooray !
  • On 01/01 ran 23:02 parkrun. 

02/02 22:19. So 43 secs better.

Might try to break through 22 mins on 23rd Feb 
    21:54 today which hit my Feb target of sub 22 - still shit slow but less shit slow.
  • Well done, Skinny!  I would be a very happy bunny if I could manage a 21:54 parkrun.  I've had a stinking cold, which kept me out of action for about 10 days, but got a few runs in this week and today's actually felt pleasant.  Things should improve once winter arrives and this hot weather disappears.  Hope this isn't the new normal.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Impressive off little running, Skinny

I completed a 52 mile week with a 20 miler in 2.56 before 9am yesterday, all nicely aerobic and fairly comfortable. Cocked up the  calculations a bit which left me virtually home on 18 but felt good enough to do a loop to make 20.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, Skinny. i assume 21.30 is next on your hit list?

I did my first 20 yesterday morning. Was ticking over quite comfortably at around 8.10 pace then at about 13 miles i decided to just nudge the pace along with last 4 clipping along nicely at just under 7.30s. 

5 at recovery this afternoon gives me 46 for week which isn't bad for a post half recovery week. on target for 200 for Feb, which matches last Feb. The difference being last feb was the first time I'd broken 200 and felt like quite an effort. This time I've tapered and recovered for 2 weeks and dont really feel like I've done that much. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mace said:

I completed a 52 mile week with a 20 miler in 2.56 before 9am yesterday, all nicely aerobic and fairly comfortable. Cocked up the  calculations a bit which left me virtually home on 18 but felt good enough to do a loop to make 20.

Much better that way round then ending up 7 miles from home needing 2miles.
  • DT19 said:
    Nice going, Skinny. i assume 21.30 is next on your hit list?

Well done on all the long runs everyone.

Yes to the above DT but just flogging myself once every couple of weeks can only have a limited improvement curve before I start flatlining - it's still the 3.25 mile winter course at the moment though so if we get a bit of dry weather (summer course more XC) there may be one last jump forward before that. In fact on Saturday the course was even longer to protect the crocuses but I'm not wearing a watch so couldn't give you a distance.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    mace said:

Reminds me of a club run we did a few years back, last 20miler before VLM. Usual protocol of quicker runners doubling back for slower runners on an out-and-back. Didn't think this through properly so when we got to 18M it suddenly dawned on us that if we carried on that way we'd end up bagging a full marathon so scrapped protocol and ended up with about 22
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    mace said:
    Stevie G said:
    mace said:

Reminds me of a club run we did a few years back, last 20miler before VLM. Usual protocol of quicker runners doubling back for slower runners on an out-and-back. Didn't think this through properly so when we got to 18M it suddenly dawned on us that if we carried on that way we'd end up bagging a full marathon so scrapped protocol and ended up with about 22
    Easily done. We once had a "chairman's challenge" event at my old club. Used to be a good gang of 35-30 runners, you'd have some 25-30mile route, split in 5-6 sections, and you could run as many as you liked, and be driven in between if you liked.

The last year, it was almost cancelled, but myself and a geezer got it back on.
    We aimed for 11miles out and back. Stuffed it up, and ended up with a full 26, as utter shells, on a boiling hot day. (obviously we jogged a pointless 0.2miles at the end too!)

So i've definitely experienced that post marathon feel, without officially needing to do one!
  • Very impressed by everyone's long runs and Skinny's parkrun! Especially as I have done pretty much no running this week. After my single puppy-parenthood ended on Tuesday evening, I just felt too tired to go for my planned medium-long run on Wednesday evening, and gave up on my club session on Thursday after a few 300s, as something clearly wasn't quite right. There's nothing identifiably wrong with me, I am just knackered so am assuming it is post-viral and will go away soon. So I skipped the national xc on Sat (the team managed to win without my help!) and *may* think about doing a run later on today if I can be bothered! I have to say I'm having my doubts about London now though.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    literatin said:
     I have to say I'm having my doubts about London now though.

Oh stop it, you bounced around a 20 miler last week !!  ( Edit : Jeez, 3 weeks ago !! That's gone quick )

Come and join the sub-4 puppy train

• literatin said:
    I have to say I'm having my doubts about London now though.
    Still 2 months to go so 5 weeks plus a taper and you can already bounce 20 miles - you sound in much better shape than that fat fucker Mace and that heavily timbered McFlooze (sorry McF just quoting you).

How did you both feel about your times at the Bourton 10k?
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Actually, i took the dogs for a walk yesterday afternoon and was surprised how easily i slipped into my jacket ( not worn since xmas ) rather than shoe-horning myself into it.

And i can get my trousers on now without laying down and holding my breath 
  • PUPPY!!!! Have you brought him home already?

I know I could manage London, but the last few weeks (not just this one) have been lower-mileage due to illness, and even if I re-started proper training from today (which I don't think is going to happen!) it's still not an ideal  build-up. I don't know if I can afford the time and expense to trek down to London just to do an 'okay' marathon when I've got loads of other stuff going on (puppies, work, home improvements) and other places I'd like to go on weekend trips to. If I do it I'll have to book travel and accommodation, and if I don't I've just lost a £35ish entry fee.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    I think it turns out that everyone's impressive weekend long runs are just DTs and Maces.

I felt too ill to long run too, which I really should have recognised given my complaints about running feeling hard last week. I went along to parkrun for a social run and my watch warned me of 30 hours of recovery required after a 2.5 mile warm up. So I briskly ran around at under marathon effort for 18.28 but felt even crappier afterwards, and thus abandoned my long run yesterday. I like, Lit, started to have doubts about the impact of this then thought that March will give plenty of long run opportunities. However it will be tight and leaves no room for further illness or injury.

Edit: Similar concerns about accomodation expenses etc. Except I don't have much of a life, so may as well go down for the craic.

Nice parkrunning Skinny. Sub 20 beckons on the shorter course then.
  • Mace - my puppy's quite big now! 
  • I still want a pug puppy.  Lit - your puppy is very cute too.  We're going to get the house sorted in the next few months and then maybe (big maybe) look at getting a little pup/rescue.

7 miles in the sun yesterday.  Was a an utter shambles but still managed to keep a decent'ish pace.

• I have puppy envy, gorgeous pair!  

Get well soon, Muddy and Lit.  

Well done on improving Parkruns, Skinny.  How's the foot doing?  

Mace - you will be positively sylph-like soon.  

Good long run, DT.  Positive you're not feeling too distressed by higher mileage as well? 

I managed 44:28 at Bourton which was probably realistic but slightly slower than I might have hoped for. But it's pretty much what I ran pre-London 2015 (44:15 at Shakepeare 10k on that aerodrome thing).  It's a good race.  Typically got dragged out a bit fast and despite trying to dial back the first mile came in at faster than 5k pace (oops).  Managed a more sedate 10 seconds a mile slower in mile 2 which then dropped to 20 secs a mile slower for the rest of the race.  So average pace of 7:05.  If I could lose this stone I might be in PB shape  ;).  Conditions were perfect and I enjoyed it anyway.  Lou and I are both 3 minutes off PB pace at the moment!  

What I didn't enjoy were feet issues.  In an effort to protect the massive blisters that were healing fairly well on my big toes I taped them up quite vigorously.  This had the unforeseen consequence of giving me absolutely massive blisters on the next door toes.  Last night the plan was meant to have me doing 17 miles so I did a club run and then tacked on an extra 8 miles.  It was fairly horrific by the end.  I put some silicone toe protectors on my toes that helped to some extent but just seemed to hurt all the time and my legs were dead.  When I got to my car at 16.25 miles I gratefully stopped.  

• Ouch!

Well done on the time - must feel good to be racing even if you are not racing your previous self at the moment - once one gets tired the main struggle in a race is generally with your internal self anyhow.

I'm going to go for a run tonight to see if my foot can survive a 3 mile training run so close to a parkrun - cycled last night so if I can survive a run tonight a fitness plan of sorts is coming together.................

Lit that photo looks like a black and white one where you have cleverly coloured in some of the photo - very artistic.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    literatin said:
    PUPPY!!!! Have you brought him home already?

We brought her home a week early as her mum wasn't feeding her and bullying a bit. She's happy enough chasing our other 2 around the house.

my watch warned me of 30 hours of recovery required after a 2.5 mile warm up. 

I often wonder about that sort of thing. The watch can only go on HR stats so could be affected by blips. I sometimes have a sky high HR at the start of a run ( we're talking 30-40 beats above max ) which is clearly a blip and it stays there until my recovery notification says, after 10 mins or so, "Recovery Good". Not sure how that can be right  
  • Mace, I’ve seen in the cold that it takes a few minutes to work up some sweat to make a good contact and hence get a good measurement. In my case I’d worn the monitor on the drive to the park, so the contact was good and I had a smooth measurement. Also the recovery measurement isn’t based off absolutely heart rate value but how the beats transition from the regular to the more normal irregular pattern over time. It totally tallied with how I felt.

I’ve gone for the kill or cure option this week, and ran a few easy runs already. The runs yesterday felt ok; the ones today dreadful. I will take a mini-taper for Newport half at the weekend and what will be,will be.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Easy runs feeling dreadful isn't good so clearly something isn't right. I've had a bit of that myself, along with knee/foot niggles and put it down to mileage i'm not used to and working weekends, hence i backed off a bit a few weeks ago and seem to be ok now. Is it possible you're at your limit ?

10M progression out and back along the seafront this morning was supposed to be 12 but i missed the alarm and still had to squeeze that in. Did the last 5k in about 23mins which felt like it was somewhere around threshold effort.
  • I've gone for the opposite of the kill or cure option this week, so I went for a gentle 5k jog yesterday evening. I might have another go tomorrow. I'm meant to be doing a 10 mile race on Sunday - hmmm.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have been on diazepam since Friday. I have been suffering with a very tight middle back since January and following various physio sessions to loosen it off I went to the GP with a view to getting muscle relaxants, which these are.

They have completely messed up my running this week with anything faster than 8.30 pace feeling like a big effort. Last day of them today, back is possibly 10% looser at best!