Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Dave - that's really respectable. The only times in nearly 35 years of 'serious' running that I've ever touched 40mpw were when preparing for marathons and even then it was pretty rare. 

TS -a bit off-topic I know, but with respect to your extreme show of courtesy towards Irish pals after the rugby, I have a bit of a thing about the Welsh, who, wonderful folk though they are, made my life a bit more miserable when I lived there at (or near) the peak of their team's greatness and who goaded me relentlessly. You can imagine how I reacted to the complete and utter capitulation by France in that 2nd half on Friday!
    (much

Yesterday tried an impromptu handicap 'race' with my (much) younger training partner. A 1km undulating lap course. The challenge: him to do 10 of the laps, me to do 9. It should have been close. It wasn't as he beat me by 90 seconds plus of course did the 'extra' lap - so about 5-6 minutes in effect. Next week it'll be 1 lap plus 90 seconds...…...I'm sure it did me good, but it didn't feel like it for the rest of the day.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Oh how the mighty have fallen, the lollipop lady offering sympathy, really?

Dave,
    I envy you the higher mileage, well done.  I can still do it but the cost and risk is just too high.

Shingles is nearly gone but I am back to running normally. The weather here has been tough so It has been on the treadmill.
    The temperatures have moderated a bit but there is so much snow still on the side roads that back slip even with Yaktracs, would play hell with my calves.

Mick
  • That's a decent block of training, Birch! Now keep it going! 167 for me: just a shame I work in kilometres, so around 60 miles behind you!

Sounds like good news on the running front, Mick, but not on the weather. 

John: that challenge with a youngster sounds far too tough! Age is sometimes unfair! 18 months ago I paced one of the uni girls to a 5k pb of 21:24; before Christmas she ran 18:31. Twice. And 18:32, 33 and 38.  Amazing the progress that can be made early in one's running career with consistent training. Last time I ran with her I couldn't keep with her on her warm down! I think you should negotiate a one lap plus two minutes start.

TS: I went to a very good talk ten days ago about injury prevention in athletes run by two GB team doctors (John Rogers, Leon Creaney). Both are athletes also which helps their understanding of the difficulties that runners face. One of the most interesting aspects was about fatigue: in the winter months, October to March, ALL GB athletes are on between 2000 and 4000 international units of vitamin D a day and their stats say over the last couple of years there has been a significant decrease in the incidence of illness and fatigue. They also advocate magnesium. May of course not be relevant to how you ran today! Often we never know.

No parkrun on Saturday due to the ice so thought I would be fresher on Sunday: couldn't put one foot in front of the other! Today's run was better: a happy hour off road although my M73 friend and I had to turn around when we hit a long stretch of sheet ice on the river bank. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • John
    with that background I can only imagine your pleasure in the Welsh recovery ;)
    If the French team of the first half turn up against England on Sunday I can see a very good game in prospect.  That's the great thing abut the Six Nations, other than Italy, on any given day either side may prevail.

yous set yourself a hard target there.  you should set the handicap by AG  - should get you a lot closer together.
    In the ol' days we used to run mile handicap intervals  on the track with a timed staggered start. Looking up and seeing someone coming off the top bend before I started used to concentrate the mind - and body - on what had to be done!

Mick
    My name is Ozymandias,
    look on my works and despair............. :(
    Good news about the shingles finally easing up.  Did I read somewhere that it leaves the skin sensitive to sunlight for quite a while afterwards?  If so take care in Barbados
    bet you are keen now to get outside for a run when conditions permit.

Alehouse
    that is useful information thanks. 
     I already take (or rather have restarted ) 5mg daily does of folic acid to counter the anemia discovered in my last blood work. I thought it made no difference at first as I didn't improve at all but not taking it has maybe sent me backwards so I am back on!!
    I'll certainly try some Vitamin D - there were no other deficiencies identified in my blood work but it can't harm.

I have been getting some re occurrence of back discomfort above my normal level so I have reluctantly embarked upon a programme of exercises to improve my core stability and strength.  maybe they have taken something out of me
    I say reluctantly as I previously did them for over 10 years.  The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't do them all.  Even worse was that I foolishly thought I would add in some press ups now that my frozen shoulder has finally disappeared. As someone who previously could do 60 without difficulty to find that one was now an effort was a bit humiliating but I have built up by one  a day and can now struggle through 10 :/

aaaahh well - Hash tonight from a new pub but the very hilly Nidd Gorge is a likely backdrop 

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,

I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert... near them, on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
    And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal these words appear:
    'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings;
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

I can definitely relate to the legs of stone.

It was +6c here today so you can just imagine what a mess the side roads were, awash with water covered ice, not a runner's friend. Needless to say ran indoors today.

I have been doing resistance training consistently for the last 10 years and firmly believe that it has kept a lot of aches and pains away as I progress through my 70s. The only thing I find a bit limiting is pull ups where my hands complain rather than not having sufficient strength.

Alehouse,
    I am always a bit dubious about generic injury avoidance programmes as I believe that what works for a 30 year old elite athlete is not necessarily going to work for a 70+ creaky old man.

Mick

• Mick
    I was thinking more of the "Round the decay of that colossal wreck..." bit :)

Sounds more like swimming conditions outside, the treddie sounds good.
    The vitamin D advice could well be sound as even those who are outside running may have deficits of vitamin D in winter time particularly those in northern climes where the sun don't shine and D is useful in assisting in the regeneration of muscle tissue and supporting the immune system.

the Hash last night was all I feared it would be with two descents and subsequent ascents of the precipitous gorge sides so quite a tough 4.5 miles.  New pub was excellent and had laid on free sandwiches and roast potatoes which was a first.

Legs felt it this morning and I just shambles round an easy 3 miles with a max HR of 133!

• Hash sounds both good and tough, TS

re injury prevention, the speakers did address the aging process to a degree, and both are interested in this: both are in their 40s and want to remain competitive themselves. They are particularly concerned about fatigue as this is when injuries, or underperformance, occur. Larger doses of vitamin D does seem to have a benefit and John has mentioned to me before that he feels it is particularly relevant to older people and suggested around this time last year when I had my fractured back that I should be taking 4000 i.u. a day, not least because it helps with taking calcium on board. They both advocate magnesium, potassium and vitamin K as aids to recovery. I have never taken vitamin k as a supplement but when I was running at my best I took magnesium and potassium tissue salts which did seem to help. 

Last week's snow saw my first "speed" session delayed until today. Just 2 x 90 seconds off 1 minute. Was quite pleased, especially when an elderly (i.e. about my age) dog walker commented that I was shifting. Then I realised that I will be hoping to run the whole of a 5k at a similar speed by the summer.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    TS/Mick - on the issue of upper body strength it's frightening how quickly it goes - but then it's relatively quick to recover. Like TS I've had the frozen shoulder and it was pretty debilitating. What was worse was that it was triggered by an exercise. I was teaching at the time and couldn't even lift the chalk to the blackboard. A press-up would have been unthinkable - so take it easy TS. Coincidentally, like Mick I find it's my fingers (which are a bit arthritic) that are the problem when it comes to pull-ups. But I'd get very cross if I didn't do something; I've never really envied or aspired to the stick-thin runner physique - even if I could squeeze  out better times if I shed about a stone. (A few pounds would be fine though!)

Alehouse - that's a good session and always good for the ego to have a compliment.

I've had the ups and downs of running in 2 days. Yesterday I set out to run a slow 10 miles and had a sharp pain in the groin after 5 miles (I've had a hernia op so am a bit sensitive in that area!) and walked home. Today I knocked another 40 seconds off my 4k hill repeat workout. Not sure where that came from other than my training partner (mentioned earlier) informed me of his time over the same course. And no prob from the groin. Funny things, bodies. 
  • Good news about the recovery from shingles, Mick.
    John B - loved that "6th out of 350" parkrun result if you go by age grading! Next parkrun I do, I must shuffle the results by age grading and see how far I jump up the list.
    During the winter I take vitamin D, but hope that in summer I'm getting enough sunlight on my skin.
    TS - There was an article recently (I think, on the Fetcheveryone website) about strength and conditioning exercises for runners. It runs over 6 weeks, building up gradually. That looks like a good idea, I thought, and embarked on Day 1 (it envisages doing the exercises no more than 2 or 3 times per week). There were single leg squats, split squats and side planks. Quite hard, especially the side planks. The next day - and for 3 days afterwards - I felt as though my ribs had been kicked hard, both sides. Right, go easy on the side planks.
    Done a bit of running, once on a day when the temperature was just above zero, and next in a lovely 8 degrees.   
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    John - sounds a tough session, "racing" your training partner - counts as 9K "tempo", I would say ?   

Mick - pleased to hear your shingles have almost gone.  Enjoy your break - is Barbados imminent?  

TS - tough workout for you also, up and down the gorge (not to mention the strength exercises) !   You continue to provoke envy with your post-hash refuelling . . .    

Columba - easing back to the running nicely, and , like TS , good work with the strengthening

alehouse - coincidentally, I've been considering the (possible) benefits of VitD & magnesium, so yesterday placed an order.  I'll see how it goes.  

Re your rest day (lack of) effect - had a couple of days off Mon, Tues ;  went out yesterday aft'n, and the first 3 miles or so were terrible - no energy, legs unresponsive. Felt like abandoning, but decided to follow my nose along trails other than my usual. Eventually started feeling better, and looped back with just over 9 on the clock, including some "relaxed" fartlek. So, a more positive state of mind ensued than I had felt during those opening miles . . . .  

Dave
  • john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Columba - indeed! And the lovely peeps at parkrun make this very easy; at the touch of a button you can be transformed from also-ran to heroic!

Dave - yes, a tempo run. You are right - there are just some days when there's nothing in the tank at first but you uncover some reserves. More often though it's the other way round (for me anyway). A hilly 3 miles for me today  - and then a rest tomorrow for parkrun on Saturday, gales and all!
  • bin busy - where is everyone else?

John
    yes - frozen shoulder - extraordinary how painful, debilitating and long lasting it was and then it just gradually faded away. Not helped by having tennis elbow in the other arm caused by repeatedly hacking at very hard tree roots with too small an axe!
    Taking the exercises very slowly in terms of build up of reps.

Columba
    I do find I can still do side and face down planks without trouble but I am surprised that one legged squats didn't give you grief - they are tough, particularly when done with good technique, as they target very specific areas around the knees 

weather is looking good out there for a few days and the days are getting longer. Unfortunately a bit like Dave and John my tank is not brimming over just now. In fact after a toughish 5+ miles Hash last night, and despite excellent refueling afterwards, I could scarcely put one foot in front of another this morning and bailed out after 2 miles. my Garmin currently tells me I have 19 hours recovery time before my next run - doesn't feel long enough !!
  • Back from Tenerife. We saw some great scenery and I ran every day we were there. It couldn't have been easier really as our apartment was just across the road from the beach and a long promenade. Ideal. 

We stayed on the south coast, not far from the capital Santa Cruz. On our other visit a few years ago we were on the other side of the island so lots of new places to explore this time. Perfect weather for the whole week and it's been great here too for the couple of days we've been back.  So much better than coming home to freezing temperatures!

I plan to do the hilly Gibside parkrun tomorrow. Good luck to everyone doing one too.
  • Quiet on here of late!

Hope the 19 hours was enough recovery time, TS!

Trust Gibside went well, GL.

Nearly came a cropper last week. Monday was an hour, largely off road, with M73 friend; Wednesday I took the tram to take my timesheet in (yes, some councils still have antiquated systems!) and ran back, almost all off road. A few seconds under 70 minutes, all into the wind. Hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors protested so only ran a couple of ks on Thurs and Fri. Managed a progressive, undulating, parkrun yesterday as a test. Hopefully got away with things but the two "long" runs in 48 hours were too much at present, and thinking about it last Saturday saw both a parkrun plus another run supporting at cross country. Hopefully onwards and upwards!

And Friday this week is LFoM! Tickets booked. 
  • alehouse, so easy to overdo things so scaling back a bit was the sensible thing to do.

The Park run went well and I was well pleased with 25:15 on a very tough course. That's nearly a minute less than last time there seven weeks ago and almost the same time on New Year's Day on a nearly flat course. A spell of consistent running is paying off.

Not for the first time I ran a race feeling very good a day after a training run where nothing seemed to be there. Must be in the mind I guess.
  • Consistent consistency is everything GL! Well done at Gibside! I presume the foot is not causing an issue that can't be managed.  And "race" day does focus the mind!
  • alehouse, the foot tensed in the last few hundred yards and slowed me down a bit but not too bad now.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi folks

well done, Graham;  tough, windy run, alehouse . . .   

trying to stick to "consistent consistency" here , but after the 4 weeks of 40mpw, I've dropped to a 30 & a 32 this last fortnight.  Aim to be back in the 40's for a couple of weeks again, and see how that goes (its mostly easy paced, but with "strideouts" and fartlek here and there) 

Dave
  • NZDNZD ✭✭✭
    Hi All.  Another intermittent Kiwi visitor!  Have been keeping an eye on postings but Oct - early Feb was even busier than usual with three important business trips, preparing for those, a week in Adelaide for wedding anniversary, birthdays*3, Xmas-New Year & associated family visiting, etc.  All adding up to a woeful training record and 4+ kg weight gain since end of October, which was already up 2 kg up on a year earlier :'(.  

I see there have been some very good performances.  Congratulations due on the 70%+ AG figures, and on some of the mileages continuing to be clocked up.  Makes my recent efforts look even worse!  And Ray, good to hear that your son seems to be improving.

NZC. Sad to hear the prognosis you received regarding your knee.  My wife has had a knee replacement. Definitely worth deferring so best you take good care of your knee to put off the day as long as possible, even if that does mean no more marathons.

Per table below, with the weight gain and limit running, I am currently struggling to get below 6' 10" pace over ~7.5 km!  Now that work has eased of slightly, current mission is to shed at least 4 of the excess kgs but no progress on that front so far.

I  did slip in an entirely untrained for half marathon in late Jan.  Had done only one run longer than 7.6 km in the previous 4 months - that being 9km two days before the event!  And nothing more than 9 km in over a year.  How not to prepare for a HM.  A variety of reasons - a touch of (perceived) peer pressure as my somewhat younger travelling colleague and I had first floated the idea much earlier but come the time neither of us were fit for the task (he having a cold, plus an achilles problem & under a 'no running' directive from his physio!).  A few weeks out it seemed sense may prevail but then came the "you know, its the stupidity of the whole thing that makes it so appealing".  I knew I was seriously unfit for a HM so still held out until about a week beforehand but ultimately no way to resist the irresistible.  Last year I had hoped to do the Queenstown HM but I ended up in Japan on work at the time so this was my last chance to do a HM in my 70th year. Plus the 'it was there' factor (or rather, I was going to be there). 

Spent the week beforehand fearing inevitable injuries and a time of two and a half hours plus but fortunately came away unscathed (apart from my ego, with a personal worst HM of 2:06).  Before the race I convinced myself  I would treat it as a training run and restrict my pace to 6' - 6' 30" (/km) to avoid injury and ensure I made it all the way.  But of course it never works that way.  Despite appearances in the pic below, I was still feeling really good at the 5 km mark (ave pace 5:32 to that point).  The youngsters in the pack I was leading got their revenge a km further on though, when we hit a steep ~34 m climb.  I held out OK up to half way but the lack of longer training runs took its toll in the back half, compounded by an increasing head wind and constantly undulating terrain.  Ave pace dropped to ~6:00.  Then slowed again over the last 4 km.  Ironically, I was looking forward to that part as I knew the last 3-4 km well and it is net downhill but the tank was empty by that stage.  Did manage 2nd (/4!) M70-79 but was well behind 1st - an impressive 1:49 by a 76 year old (AG 78.3%).  And at the end looked as though he had just done a short jog!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-cv4AZiWS4&t=38m44s

Even worse on AG (3/4).  The guy in third place (2nd AG) did look remarkably well preserved for 75 though (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-cv4AZiWS4&t=56m52s)

At 5.1km

• NZD
    well I suppose there are worse places than Bermuda to make a fool of oneself in a HM :)
    you are looking very fresh in the photo so it was going well at that stage and that was a good time given your training regime.

I know what you mean about work getting in the way of training - I have just finished a very extensive few weeks of it which was probably not a bad thing as I am well under par on the thyroid front and can scarcely move without feeling exhausted.
    It was brought into sharp focus on Tuesday night when a hasher brought along his 9 year old grandson who ran freely all evening at a pace that I could not match at any stage.  Turns out he currently runs parkruns in 25:30 up in Newcastle - so Graham you had better beware :)!

Graham 
    well done on your parkrun time - big improvement on your last visit to that venue - your holiday must have done you good!  BUT see above.........

alehouse
    tough sounding runs back to back and I hope your visit to the LFOTM goes well - it should be warm in London so remember your shorts!

Dave
    I would call those cut back weeks and you will be no worse for them
    Are you going to be in the park tomorrow for the flypast?  It has been a lovely story and I hope the weather holds up for it to take place.

I have been really struggling when I have managed to get out - I am too embarrassed to say at what pace I am struggling at so I have booked in for another doctor's appointment - having to take a breather coming up the stairs today was the last straw :( !
    Like NZD my weight has also ballooned over the last two months and at 218 lbs I could secure a place in the scrum for Saturday's tasty game in Cardiff - whether I could move would be another matter

• Great running from NZD! Good to hear that Graham and Alehouse are 'at it'; think the warmer weather helps. 

Dave - 32 per week is still admirable. 

TS - that's a bit of timber there. Good luck with the trip to the doctor. The prospect of the match on Saturday is mouth-watering. My goodness, there'll be some collisions. How do they get out of bed on the Sunday?

My news is a bit mixed. Back and knee playing up = dropped my plan for a May marathon. TBH (he admitted shamefully) my heart wasn't in it. Better news is that I've dropped my 5k time to 21.34. It's my 150th parkrun on Saturday so it would be good to get under 21.30...……

Football-wise (for those who follow it) my lot are through to the last 8 of the FA Cup. However, I had tickets for the league game that's been postponed to allow us to have the delight of playing the gentlemen and scholars of Millwall and could get a ticket for that game. But as I value my life, a trip to the New Den is not an attractive proposition!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZD - nice HM, and great pic ! 

TS - sorry to hear you are struggling - fingers x'd the doc appointment is fruitful;  
            yes, I plan to be at the fly past - the weather forecast is excellent.   

John - superb parkrunning - that sort of time is now well beyond me  . .   
              New Den - don't !  I visited the old Den twice (goodness knows why I went again, after the first time) !!    Good luck - should the Seagulls prevail, I believe it would be their first time in the semis since beating my lot in 1983 at Highbury (I was there) ,  on the way to the Man Utd ( . . . and Smith must score) final  . . . .   

Dave  
  • Good to hear from you, NZD! Consistent consistency is the key phrase that needs to be applied!

Sorry you are below par, TS. Hope the doc can sort!

JB: well done on the 149 parkruns; and wise not to either run the marathon or visit Millwall! Need to correct you on the weather though: up here in the north-west it hasn't been particularly warm, and a couple of days this week it has been particularly wet...until today that is when we had 15.5 degrees, and cricket weather! It will of course be snowing when the cricket season gets underway in April. Great win for England last night in Barbados. Hope the rugby team do the same in Wales!

Birch: how is the training going now? And enjoy the flypast. Is it Sheffield Hallam parkrun you sometimes go to? Was reminded recently that there are lots of daffodils planted there as a reminder of a friend that I was at uni with. Presumably they are about to flower if they haven't already.

So to LFoM...unfortunately I have a badly timed chest infection and am on antibiotics and steroids, although hopefully am improving. Would not be wise to run hard tomorrow which is annoying as I wanted to run at 90 to 95% effort to get an idea of where my consistent consistency has got me. May pin a number on and run a progressive (?) race but it certainly won't be anywhere near what I was hoping for, and nor should it be in the circumstances. 
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    TS,
    Good luck, I think another pub session is in order.

Alehouse,
    Good luck at LFoM, done it a few times with others on this thread.

It is hot here, 29c, so got a little fried swimming today.

Mick
  • Dave - I was at that game too! In fact I bought tickets from a tout and ended up at the Wednesday end of the ground. I had to keep very restrained when we scored. Didn't make the final though. And, sting in the tail, we were relegated that season. Never went to the Old Den but went once to the New Den, never to return! 

Alehouse - yes the weather is a damp squib here too: fog-bound. England's ODI cricket and rugby are in fine fettle. (I might have just cursed them!) Sorry to hear about the bug. Love the idea of 'consistent consistency' - sounds like the slogan of a new political movement! 
  • JB: progressive consistent consistency is the full phrase!
    Just arriving at Euston and the sun is breaking through. Won't be Mick's 29 though!
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZD-good to hear from you and well done for getting round on little training.

TS-sorry you are struggling big time must be ultra frustrating for you.

JB-really good time for your 5k,don't blame you for giving the marathon a miss.

Graham-nice to see your times coming down and still more to come I think.

Dave-still excellent mileage you are managing.

Mick-what stroke did you do?

Alehouse-hope the 5k went okay for you.

Been back just over a week now and straight into training.Decided to join the local gym and used it 3 times already.Going to try and lower my 5k time but won't get near Johns time.A quick summary of my training for the last week.

Sunday-10miles with the marathon crew @9mm pace

Tuesday track session was 4x1mile reps with 200m recovery.

Reps 7:38-7:40-7:33-7:11

Thursday-8miles @ 8:30 pace

Meeting a few friends tomorrow for a drink or two,so no training this weekend

• John
    I will know who to blame if it does not go to plan in Cardiff :)
    Millwall I will leave to others to enjoy!

Mick
    don't rub it in B)
    You do have a lot worse winters to endure so it's only fair you get some sun

Alehouse
    hope your progressive consistent  consistency carries you round Hyde Park

Ray
    welcome back and I hope your return is a good sign as far as your son's progress is concerned.
    You have certainly jumped straight into a tough training regime on that display

Thanks everyone for good wishes - I fell fine until i do something mildly strenuous and then the wheels just fall off. Never thought I would see the day when to run 3 miles felt like a major achievement and still left me knackered - which is what I did this morning in early misty sun but already warming up and I was quite comfortable in a short sleeved tee.
    The crocus are in full flower already but I don't think I am ready for a maxHR trial on the hill just yet!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ray - welcome back ; you've certainly not messed around - straight back in with a 10  miler and mile reps !  You've earned your convivial weekend . . .     

alehouse - shame you've joined TS in the sick bay - hope the LFoTM goes well.
                   the flypast over Endcliffe Park was moving - and perfect conditions . . 
                     yes, this is the venue for Hallam parkrun, which is my local one - the daffodils                  are blooming .   Training continues, although I have dropped back from the                      40mpw I sustained for 4 weeks, and look set for my 3rd week of 30-odd.                           Unsure if this is laziness, or the mind ruling the body . . . . anyway, 
                     6 today, inc 2 x 800m, 1 x 400m steepish hill, 3 x 160m uphill (lesser                               gradient)  - like TS, short sleeves and , for me, unprecedented in Feb - no                         gloves . . . .    

off to the National XC at Harewood House tomorrow - lot of clubmates there, plus my son and a few of his clubmates, so plenty to support - and its always a great occasion  . . . 

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hm, don't know what happened with the odd spacing  . . .