Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Joe Blogs-BRJoe Blogs-BR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Much as I would like the magic 4% I don't have money to waste - I'll just have to try to find it through hard work.
    I like to think I'm doing a fair bit of hard work as well..
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Al_P - fair enough re the shoes. If I was in marathon PB shape and thought they might buy me a couple of minutes, I would probably go for it. And I've also heard the same benefit of delaying fatigue and hence being good for marathons.

Nice 4.5M off-road run with the dog this morning (well, she probably ran a lot further). But then just before I left for work, I went to pick my son up and pinged something in my back. Settled down a bit now but can still feel it when I breathe (which unfortunately is fairly unavoidable) - probably an intercostal muscle.

• Options
    I never meant to imply otherwise Joe, sorry if it read that way.

Hope it settles quickly Padams.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed it's minor Padams.

Jusy in from the lunchtime premier of the new shoes..... Can report that they are super comfortable and really rather bouncy, if they don't disintergrate after a couple of races I'll consider it money well spent!
  • Options
    If anyone wants to get them off the Nike.com website, you can get 20% off right now. You just need to buy 3 items and use the code BUNDLE3 - you could get the vaporflys and two pairs of socks to make 3 items. 

Yes, I recently wasted my good money on a pair! Except I did get a 1/2 marathon PB on the weekend, quicker by 2 min than my 34 y.o. self six years ago #lifebeginsatV40 #throwmoneyattheproblem
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - hope its a minor issue.

TGO - ooh, im tempted now. How are they size wise compared to normal shoes?
  • Options
    Anyone here listen to inside running podcast? It's hosted by three Aussie runners all of whom have ran sub 2:20 marathons. I think at least two of them are paid up members of the 4% club. One of them runs a running store over there and talks about shoes a lot! Recommended listening.

TR - sorry to hear about your watch.

Padams - hope the back niggle settles.

Still beating on the drum at this end. Decent reps session on Tuesday saw me clinging onto the A group for last rep so must be getting stronger.

15 early doors on Wednesday (trying to hit the next three weeks perfectly in terms of speed, mlr and long run). Easy jog yesterday and another steady run shortly once traffic has eased a little.

Decided against a half during this build-up. I'm going to do a 10k in a couple of weeks and a 20 mile race which will include some faster miles so don't think I need the half. I've been doing plenty of tempo miles so think I should be ok.

Enjoy the weather everyone and run well this weekend.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    SJ - good one on the 15 again. Ive done 15 or 16 each week, and a 2nd mlr unless ive been racing. Having you and jools pushing out a weekly 15 has got me out there. I only got 15 done in the rain monday, cos i didnt want to ruin my record.

We havnt seen any weather yet, its been misty or cold when ive been running.

I need to carb load with a few beerios before tomorrows long run.

Abo opens Monday, im going back to settle the score.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    TR I run in brooks adrenaline 11.5 and the size 11.5 vaporfly difference was not enough different to bother me,  maybe a tad on the large. You can order two sizes and send back one free postage. 

If it also helps, I told myself some of my womanly friends probably think nothing of dropping 200+ on a pair of shoes and maybe wear it 5-10 times? And if it’s good enough for them...

Off the back of a slow 11 yesterday, I got a good 12m steady today, did something different and ran 8 at lunch and 4 in evening. Didn’t think it would feel as alright as it did. I may split some more midweek sessions up if it helps make sure I get the mileage in. 

Parkrun tomorrow, torn between blasting it and toughing out the Sunday 20m LSR or jogging parkrun to be fresher. 

What race is Abo?
  • Options
    I admit I'm not your average woman, but I have never spent £200 on a pair of shoes. Big chunky goth boots on the other hand... But then I absolutely lived in the things for years. They must have worked out at about 20p per day.

• Options
    Me neither CC2! I don't pay £100 for trainers either.
  • Options
    TGO - Abo is Abingdon, billed as Oxfordshire's premiere marathon :) its been going for nearly 40 years I think and renouned as a fast course. Also the Army's championship race so always some fast squadies taking part.

The reason I dropped from the asics 2000 to the 1000 was cost. I doubt those 4% shoes would help me as much as shifting 5 or 6 kg !
  • Options
    saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    10 miles with 6 @ 160hr which equates to high 6:2x. Turned the wick down on last couple of miles but they came in at 6:40/mile so a good session out of the way.

Shorts and t-shirt in Manchester this morning. Awesome.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    TGO - sounds like usual sizing.  As SJ said Abo is Abingdon, i did 3.01 there in Oct in my first mara for over 3 years due to various issues, so im going back to run faster.

SJ - good paces there, you're seeing paces ive had to pin a number on to see.

I never spend much on trainers either, i have a pair of Pegasus (£60) stashed away to replace my current sauconys (£50), as they are similarish to the 4% shoes, ill do a few runs in those and see how they feel as i havnt run in Nikes for 30 yrs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Progressive P and D style long run today  MP + approx 20% thru to 10%, so roughly 8.00 thru 7.20. Came in as 5 av 7.56, 5 av 7.45, 5 av 7.30, 5 av 6.57 although the last 2 were 6.45ish so brought the av down. These runs are tough, found it hard but ive kicked it hard this week. Onwards.
  • Options
    See you opted for a blast round parkrun TGO, good luck with tomorrow's 20. Doubles are OK but MLRs are better for marathon specific adaptations & the LRs are crucial.
    Top training TR SJ.
    Missed my weekly 15M but tbh the replacement 12.9 felt like quite enough work - couldn't see the point in even rounding it up to 13 let alone 13.1 that I would usually do.
    Not sure how Wokingham will go as I put so much into Wrexham last week. Will give it my best & see how I'm feeling after a few miles. Had a very light week with just 32M in 6 days.
  • Options
    Hi, not posted for a while but I have been reading. 

I did Bramley 20 last Sunday in 2:14 so think I should be sub 3 shape for London but my dodgy ankle/achillies is still giving my gyp. It has been annoying me for a over a year and does seem to be getting worse. Hopefully I can limp to London then get it sorted.

TR, Al-P, hope to see you both at Fleet half but don't expect to see much of either you once the gun goes.
  • Options
    That doesn't sound like you Jooligan - feeling ok?

Sorry to hear that you are still managing the niggle TickTock, hope you can keep going and get through to London ok.
  • Options
    House move this week so been very busy LMH. At least I don’t have to drive tomorrow as a clubmate has offered 😀 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - hope you go well. In theory you'd be tired after last weeks 1/2, but you'll probably go a smash it.

Tick Tock - hope to see you at Fleet then. 3 weeks tomorrow. Not sure if I'll do it as an MP run yet, or push it.
  • Options
    Ah - that's a good reason Jooligan. Hope you have a good one today.

Just seen that Malta marathon has been cancelled because of the weather!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Best of luck today Jooligan, the lighter week might well of benefit this time.
    Nice progressive run TR, good work getting the last 2m down to MP.
    Tick Tock.. that's a long time to be battling a niggle, have you had any diagnosis?
    SJ.. decent speedy 10m without a number on there!
    I'm off to the Snake Lane 10 shortly.  The 3-4mph winds are looking favourable :), it's usually blowing a bit at this one.  Plan is to add a few miles on afterwards.
  • Options
    Best of luck Wardi.

• Options
    Race well guys.
  • Options
    Good luck to our racers today. I hope it's less windy than yesterday turned out to be. It made the National seem like very, very hard work. Can't say I enjoyed it. I really don't know why I do these XC races (OK, I do, it's because I know it's good for me and the team manager asks me to run and I just capitulate). Thankfully I turned down my Inter Counties place as I'm racing on a nice solid road that weekend instead so the spikes are going away for a good few months!

I do actually need some new running shoes. I am not paying £100+ though! I'm waiting for something affordable to crop up at a race stall or in an online sale. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hope the racers go well, its even sunny and pretty still here today. I should have entered Brighton 1/2, will be interesting to see how times compare to worthing as there eill be folks that do both.

CC - the xc will make you strong, and you dont let it derail your marathon trsining anyway.

6m easy here, could have done more, but P and D say not to, and its mlr day again tomorrow anyway.
  • Options
    Startfitness have Boston Boost for £79 at the moment CC2 - though obviously I don't know if they have your size - free delivery too. Where was it windy?

6 on a Sunday seems really strange TR, hope you get to enjoy some of the extra time it gives you.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    LMH - i took my favourite girl (and the SPO) to west wittering to play on the sand as the tide was out. I like getting my long run fone on a Saturday at the mo, and can then mlr monday etc but the cricket season is coming so things will change some weeks. 6m is strange, but I'll trust P and D and review what to keep or change after Brighton.
  • Options
    Hope those racing have had good days at the office. Perfect conditions I'd have thought.

CC2 - well done for getting out there for the National. Heard it was a tough race from a few club mates. Like you I dislike the mudfest but as TR says, it's good for toughening the legs up. I managed 3 fixtures I think pre-christmas but have opted for solo tempo runs for the other races. Can't say I missed them at all :)

22 today in 2.44 which was tough going towards the end. Probably not fully recovered from yesterday's tempo run. Also my biggest ever week sneaking over 70 miles. Three more of those weeks and I'll be ready I reckon.

Off to the seaside with the pooch now too TR. Fish and chips for tea nom nom nom :)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking long run SJ and a decent mileage week too.  Well deserved fish n' chips.. mushy peas too??
    CC2.. that's a decent position in the Nationals, well raced!  It was a bit more breezy up here yesterday compared to today and that Harewood course is a bit exposed.
    Decided not to burn too many matches two weeks out from marathon day so ran the 10 miler around 7:30 pace - brisk but not full tilt.  75.44 in the end.  A bit of a pea souper early on but this cleared to blue skies for the race.  Added 10k on tired legs afterwards, 16.3m for the day and 61m for the week.  Tempted to pay a visit to the local Indian for curry & a beerio or two later. :p