Gait Analysis / Advice

Hi Guys,

I've been doing the C25k for about 4 weeks (actually on week 4 run 2 tomorrow) and wanted to ensure my shoes where up to scratch. My legs and shins and ankles hurt after running but unsure if this is just normal getting used to running or if I have incorrect shoes. FYI, I also have Muscular Dystrophy hence the pseudo enlarged calfs!

I've been to Up and Running today and the lady didn't seem interested at all. I have some brooks shoes that are neutral but I wanted to make sure they where right, the lady said I have a high arch but still neutral. I have taken a video of a 30 second treadmill run and wondered if someone could give me some advice? I live on the Isle of Man so only have the one 'professional' store to ask for advice.

https://youtu.be/ykohzf63W8g

Thanks,

Michael

Answers

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My legs and shins and ankles hurt after running but unsure if this is just normal getting used to running or if I have incorrect shoes. FYI, I also have Muscular Dystrophy hence the pseudo enlarged calfs!
    It's normal to have some form of muscle soreness when first starting out, but I'd be a bit concerned with the pain you describe (especially that in the ankles & shins). Speak to your GP and get a referral to a physio, or arrange an appointment  direct.

I've been to Up and Running today and the lady didn't seem interested at all. I have some brooks shoes that are neutral but I wanted to make sure they where right, the lady said I have a high arch but still neutral. 
    Some will disagree, but I'm not a believer in gait and arch analysis. Here's one of the many links available that debunk that theory:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-gait-analysis-footwear/

Comfort should be the main consideration when choosing your trainers. Go back to the store and try on a few pairs whilst running on the treadmill. Plump for the most comfortable pair.

All the best.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    +1 wear what is comfortable and feels good to you.
  • The best pair of running shoes I own were bought from TK Maxx, based on just trying a load on and deciding on the most comfy. The other two I own, were based on gait analysis (two different places) , felt ok after 30 secs on the treadmill, but I've never been happy with them in the real world. So not only were they not the right shoes, they were also way more expensive than my TK Maxx ones. I've learned my lesson now !