Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Stevie great if you can go sub 3.

WCM 10 mile race today. The target was 90 mins but that went out the window straight away as I was dragged along by the crowd. I was passed by a big group from my club at mile 2 and they just disappeared into the distance as I was struggling on the hills, Pace was just over 8m/mile to mile 5 where there is almost a mile of climb up the bridge in 2 x half mile stints with a little rest between and pace dropped to 8:40 here. After that the pace steady picked up despite the weather turned from fine to very windy and a bit wet and miles 8 (7:37) , 9 ( 7:23) and 10 (7:08 up hill ) We were being blown sideways along the 2nd small bridge at mile 9 with the gusts .At 9 mile I saw my clubmates again who at one stage must have been a 1/2 mile ahead and made a real effort to catch and pass some of them with 1/4 mile to go . Crossed the line with chip of 1:20:00 so a nice round number ! and feeling a bit fitter despite only managing to lose 1kg in the last 7 weeks (82kg now) about 15kg over race weight !

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Well battled, Leslie. Sounds like a blowy run.

20 miles this morning which came out at 8.18 pace. I was surprised at that pace as it felt much slower. Legs were proper bashed up after a high quality week and I also had half an eye on the Surrey HM next week, so didn’t want to over bash them even more.

Little recovery tomorrow will chalk 53 for the week.
  • Great 10K a few days ago Gul - hope you're enjoying the rest this weekend

Great mileage there SBD - I've never got close to 300 in a month when there are 31 days, let alone 28. Have you sorted your Boston accommodation and travel plans out yet?

DT - I can get even closer to the 200 than you as I managed 198 miles in Feb. Don't think I'll get too stressed about the last two miles though.

Good 20 miler there G-Dawg - will you be tapering at all this week?

Nice to see you back out there racing Leslie - 10 minutes under target sounds like it's cause for a big pat on the back.

Hope tomorrow goes well OO - is it a hilly cause?

Tried a new parkrun this morning - a mix of tarmac and trail through the woods starting and finishing on the old Brooklands runway (so not too far for you G-Dawg). Very flat course, and nice and wide at the start so no real bottlenecks. Got back under 20 mins (19:39) for the first time in nearly 5 months which was encouraging and I'm very tempted to give this one another go as it's a good speed test with some decent runners (my time only earned me 11th place)

Talking of parkruns, has anyone started using the add-on from this site: http://running-challenges.co.uk/?

Adds some excellent fun stats to your parkrun history, including stopwatch bingo (have you got a time that end xx:00, xx:01, xx:02,.... xx:59), alphabeteer (a parkrun beginning with each letter of the alphabet) or the pirate award (7 parkruns beginning with a C and one with an R!)

Am toying with the idea of an on-the-day entry in a half marathon or 10K tomorrow but will probably adopt a more sensible approach and head out for a 15-16 mile training run.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Solid 20 miler G-D - is that the second?

Excellent racing Leslie - you just need to shift some of the ballast and you'll be flying!

Very patient on the recovery Stevie and a good week's training.

Another strong finish 20 miler Gul - the endurance should be bullet proof by now!

Good to see the pace has returned after ditching the painkillers DT - how's the back?

QE Olympic Park 10k for me this morning. A bit of a trek to get there (1.5hrs around the M25) but good to visit the park having not been here for c. 4 years,  Three laps on tracks centred on the ArcelorMittal Orbit, so pretty flat and good surfaces.  A nice well organised event with c. 540 runners but not many at the sharp end.  The plan was for something Sub 40'ish but I wanted to make sure I didn't go off to fast and had a strong even-paced run.  With the first two kilometres completed in 3:45 and 3:48, I realised I'd blown the even-split pacing plan!  I was prepared for the worst, so ignored the Garmin and just ran to feel.   Almost caught a group of six that would have helped pull me along and give some shelter from the wind but instead ended up running solo for most of the race.  Pace dropped off in kilometres 7 and 8 (4:05 Garmin pace) but managed to pick it up a little for the final two.  Finish time of 40:12 for 20th place.  Fifteen seconds quicker would have made me a lot happier but it was not a bad effort all considered and I managed to pick up the age category win.  5K w/u and 5K w/d to give 12.5 miles for the day.

Just need to find some motivation for the long run tomorrow now!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good work there SBD. Well done. Yes, that is my 2nd 20 of the campaign. Two more with a few 16 to 18 milers thrown in.

Sharp parkrun, Lorenzo. Yep, it’s just up the road from me and is on my hit list. I don’t think it’s been going for long, barely a year.

My youngest is 20 today and I feel old. Beer will help me through...and lots of it!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Enjoy the beers G-D!

Good find on the Park Run Lorenzo and a timely return of speed.

I finally took the plunge and organised the Boston logistics.  So flying out on the Friday, returning Tuesday.  Toyed with the idea of staying close to the start but in the end found some accommodation near to the finish area.  So it should be easy to get across to the bank of the Charles River for a couple of runs on Saturday and Sunday morning.  All beginning to sounds a bit close now!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good effort SBD especially the age category win.
    Haweswater is an undulating half- I feel nice and relaxed about it. I was a pacer at parkrun for 23 mins- but overcooked it at 22:30.
    Good to see you in good parkrun form Lorenzo.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    great work to be back in the game, Leslie  . . . 

SBD - top notch racing there (and I like the reportage)

G-Dawg - beer always helps :)    I was supporting my friend's kids at the Primary Schools XC this morn, and I was asked "are you a parent?"  to which I replied "Yes - its just that my kids are 31 & 27"  . . .     

still lurking, not posting much, as nothing of interest or relevance to report . . . .    
  • I've had a busy week and have now read back so much I've forgotten most of it. Aaaargh. I need to take notes! 

Lorenzo - I have that parkrun thing. I'm only 4 short on Bingo, quite by accident. I'm trying to do the A-Z but it's harder than you'd think! 

Nice age cat win SBD. I have a 10k next Sunday. I have no idea what sort of shape I'm in for 10k. 
  • Rainy and windy when I woke up this morning so ditched the idea of a trip round the M25 for the Dartford Half and headed out onto the trails for a muddy 15 miles to bring up 45 for the week. 

SBD - sounds a good plan. We've got an airbnb booked for 4 nights from Friday through to Tuesday morning and then heading back overnight on the Tuesday night. Airbnb is in East Boston so hopefully relatively easy to get to the place where the buses leave from in the morning. I'm planning to go to the Expo first thing on the Saturday so may see you there, or some other part of town if you fancy getting together. Congrats on the age category win yesterday.

G-Dawg - you're right, Brooklands parkrun hasn't been going for all that long. Yesterday's run was only #16.

• G-Dawg said:
    My youngest is 20 today and I feel old. Beer will help me through...and lots of it!
    My youngest turned 20 on Feb 18th so I guess I need to feel a bit older and drink more beer.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, great effort. Shift those kilos and get into some consistency and that times will fall nicely. 

SBD, well done on the age group win. 

Nice running everyone else.

G- dawg, I'll be 57 when my youngest is 20, you must have started younger than me!

I rescued my week with a pretty big session today. 5m easy at 8.22mm then 5 at mp, 1 easy, 4 at mp, 1 easy, 3 at mp, 1 easy. mp miles came out as follows-     

6.55, 6.52, 6.51, 6.52 and 6.45

6.46, 6.50, 6.52, 6.43

6.47, 6.50 then i had a right old blast with a 6.28.

Basically 20 with 12 at mp.

Tired now. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

That's a really strong 20 miler DT - 12 at MP outside of a race is tough, so you're in good Sub 3 shape.

PMJ - yes drink more beer, it's just as effective for the speed as intervals!

Good call on the Dartford Half Lorenzo - pretty miserable here at 9:00amIt would be good to meet up in Boston - will PM you.

Any races planned Birch?

Hope you had a good run at the Haweswater HM OO.

A bit windy here this morning but at least the rain wasn't too heavy.  Had been tempted to get out at 7am for the long run but didn't want to go out unfuelled, so 9:00am it was.  The plan was to just get round but the legs felt a bit fresher than expected, so 20 miles at an average 7:40 pace, with a strong finish on the final uphill miles.  Brings me up to 81 miles for the week.  Just need to maintain a similar training volume and intensity for the next three weeks!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That looks impressive DT
    It was windy and rainy in the Lakes too for the Haweswater half and runner numbers down. Still a wonderful scenic race, very undulating with a net gain of 400 feet.
    I started steady as usual, but enjoyed the hills getting up to 17th at the turn. I picked the pace up on the way back for a 2 min negative split and 1:25:15 finish time for 15th overall and 1st V50 prize. Happy with that.
  • And so you should be OO! That's a cracking run.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, SBD. Equally you are in a very good place. 

oo, great running and prize winning. Landmarks half should be quicker, particularly as you wont have run a marathon a week or so earlier. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT I’m doing the Vitality Big Half- it’s next weekend. No slacking here buddy ;)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place..."

Hallo again all, been lurking with nothing much to contribute on the running front. Great to see so many of you still here and looking really strong as the race season builds up. This really is the thread for those who (defy age and) enjoy their running. And some new posters, welcome, keep 'em coming.

OO will know what I mean when I say that a run along Beadnell beach is good for the soul.

I've been struggling with lack of motivation, lingering injury, general unfitness and being on the road so much, especially on jobs where the chips come with a side dish of chips, with chips for afters.  Made a bit of an effort in Feb and suddenly, a week ago, started to feel vaguely fit again. This brought back some mojo + a fastest (though not very fast) parkrun since August. Last Sunday I braved the first race of the year which was a short sharp shock of a duathlon (2.5k flat - 17k not remotely flat - 2.5k flat), final score 15/63 and 1st AG and it's always satisfying to overhaul some of the better cyclists on the final run. 

Still planning to do London but sadly due to work I won't be able to run Manchester on April 7 - anyone interested in a place?
  • Would be good to meet up SBD - will PM you back.

Tough session there DT - pretty consistent pacing with the exception of a super rapid final one.

Congrats OO - 1:25 and a bit on a tough course in adverse conditions is a great marker. 

Great to hear from you Poacher - whereabouts in the world are you at the moment? And more to the point are you near any treadmills? Feels like we need a few more gymfail tales. 

Is this now the latest list? Think it needs a bit of reformatting but I can't work out how.

10th March Surrey Half

G-Dawg (sub 1.25)
    SBD MP Run (1:30)

10th March Vitality London Big Half
    Nicko1981  Just get a medal and do more miles.

OO (??)

17th March Bath Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 MP Run (<1:30, + 8 slow)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

30th March World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

31st March Cranleigh 15/21

Lorenzo (haven't decided what distance I'll do yet)

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59)
    Ian (3:09)

7th April Centurion 5 

DT (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Yes I’m doing the vitality big half!

Great to have you back Poacher, you’re usual late late show for London!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi Lorenzo, OO - good to see you both flying the flag...

In the wet/windy Peak District now although some nasty sweaty gym stuff is on the cards later in the month.

The truth is that apart from 100 maras, and generally keeping fit, I don't have any running ambitions left. It's been a blast but right now I like the idea of duathlon and bike stuff.

Just entered a mara this Friday however - life in the old dog yet!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - great effort - must be a good feeling to race again.
    GD - nice steady long run.
    Lorenzo - well done on the new parkrun find and solid run too.
    SBD - great effort at the 10k for the age category win and excellent 20  miler to follow.
    DT - cracking MP session.
    OO - congrats on the 1st MV50 place - great effort for a HM in the Lakes.
    Poacher - great to hear from you and congrats on the age-graded win - excellent comeback! How many notches will you be to up after Friday then?
    Managed to avoid the temptation to go out for a run this weekend :) 15 miler to start the week this morning, which sort of went 5 slow, 5 easy, 5 steady - avg pace 8:23/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO- Apologies for the confusion, I sort of had in my head they were one and the same thing.

Poacher, good to hear from you. Nice casual mara entry as well!!

Nice start to the week, Gul.

7 for me at recovery this morning with spin later tonight.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    10th March Surrey Half
    G-Dawg (sub 1.25)
    SBD MP Run (1:30)

10th March Vitality London Big Half
    Nicko1981  Just get a medal and do more miles.
    OO (??)

17th March Bath Half Marathon
    Nicko1981 MP Run (<1:30, + 8 slow)

17th March Fleet Half Marathon
    Lorenzo (1:28)

24th March Ashby 20
    DT (Session of some sort)

30th March World Masters Half
    Speedy Goth

31st March Cranleigh 15/21
    Lorenzo (haven't decided what distance I'll do yet)

7th April Manchester Marathon
    StevieWh (2:45)
    Nicko1981 (2:59)
    Ian (3:09)

7th April Centurion 5 
    DT (sub 31)

14th April Boston UK Marathon
    Gul Darr (Sub 3:15)

15th April Boston Marathon (the hilly one)
    SBD (2:59)
    Lorenzo (3:10)

28th April London Marathon
    OO54 (Sub 2, win, beat Mo Farah)
    G-Dawg (3.05)
    DT (Sub 3)
    Speedy Goth (2.59.59)
    Poacher (finish)

5th May GEAR 10k
    Gul Darr (sub 39)

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Good list, with plenty of ambitious targets. Now it's time to deliver.

Gul - 91.  It's going more slowly than Jarndyce v Jarndyce.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I need to revise my target! 2.45 is 100% happening in Berlin but I won't be too close in Manchester! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD - looking good - your campaign promises great things , but  
             no races currently planned here - I'm a bit like Poacher, in that I seem to have no running ambitions left but, I still have an itch that won't go away - my club's V65 mara record is 4:09;  I'm 65 at the end of August, and, although I retired from marathon running 4 years ago, after VLM, a part of me says that even in my seemingly inexorable decline, I can get under 4 hours  . . .  but maybe delusion is setting in, as well as decreptitude . . . .   
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Poacher - yes, but at least you will get there in the end.
    Birch - worth a crack...
    A bit of a disappointing session (6x1km) this morning. Set off a bit late, so I was pressed for time anyway. It all seemed very promising, 3:50, 3:45 and 3:37... And then I had to cut it short and head home for a comfort break. Ended up ditching the rest of the set as I was on pancake duty. Just 6 miles in total :( Might throw in a few efforts into tomorrow's MLR.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DTTelford 10k entries opened today. I've just entered
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

sub 35 race?? I've not done it for a few years as it always clashes with Sneyd 10 miler. I am looking at Derby 10 this year late November so I may go with Telford.

Oh dear, Gul. I have recently had quite a few visits from the ginger bread man whilst out running myself.

12.5 over lunch with 10 at Tempo. Last time in early Feb  I did 6.27mm average for 167, today was 6.35mm for 157bpm which is a much more significant HR drop than pace drop. I didn't want to push too hard as I was conscious that sunday was a big session also. Wanted to try and negative split. Came out-

6.42, 6.32, 6.41, 6.32 and 6.39= 33.06 (there was a strong south westerly blowing so basically odd miles into wind, evens with wind)

6.36, 6.31, 6.28, 6.32 and 6.37 = 32.44

So did what I needed.