Comrades 2019

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hmm, but I'm not a 100-marathon club wannabee, I've nothing against them but I don't have any drive to make a commitment to the club, and, UKnetrunner; I'm not a person whose lifestyle makes it difficult to attend a local running club, and I don't want the support of clubmates etc. I would be conning either by stumping up and joining. It appears I will need to do something like the above though if I am to get this letter.

I do take on board though that if I want to engage with certain events, and they have certain governance demands, I must act responsibly and conform to the rules. Its just that the counterpoint to that in this case means I will have to pretend to be committed to a club, when in fact the opposite will be the case :(

• Lowrez - seems to me it would be a good idea to tot up your marathons. I don't think these clubs expect you to be committing to doing anything (maybe that one would like you to run marathons!!) but you're always doing crazy long runs anyway and maybe you've done 50. Just join somewhere and don't pretend to do anything other than you do. 

I was a member of a club once but the lady who ran our section was so into herself. The times never suited me and I'm quite happy to run on my own at my own pace.

TCP -  see the above suggestions from the others. You already belong to the 100 marathon club I believe, so email them for a confirmation letter
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the perspective SS; I have started at the most basic and e-mailed English Athletics asking if they will give me a letter; if they say club runners only then I hope I haven't spoilt my chance in doing this first as I will then join the least burdensome club. I have another iron in the fire too; when I run ultra long I have a support team of two amazingly dedicated local club runners; bounced it off them for consideration; I'm also advising Goldie1, she's in Sweden :)
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    SS - Thanks, I missed the previous comments on it.  100 MC is my second club.  I run with Clapham Chasers and I've emailed UKA to ask for a clearance letter.  I hope it works.  Thanks.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I've done exactly the same TCP. Will see what next week brings but there seems to a fair amount of messages on facebook about people receiving them fairly promptly and without too much hassle. Bet UKA loved the flood of emails they received!!!!
  • This is very irritating, it's always been the rule that you had to have permission from your national governing body but Comrades has seemed to ignore this.  I expect there has been some issue at elite level and they're obliged to apply this rule across the board now.  As I'm injured at the moment I'm sorely tempted to e-mail back and say "you didn't ask for this before you accepted my entry, so can I have my £200.00 back please as I don't want to join UK Athletics thank you".  A few dozen e-mails like that would worry them.

Btw Lowrez, Road Runners Club might suit you, anyone nationally can join and you don't have to attend anything and it does mean you are insured while racing or training all for £12.50, affiliation to uka would be extra as with any club of course.
  • lowrez: https://www.roadrunnersclub.org.uk/joining_rrc.php is only £12.50 plus UKA affiliation, which is presently £15. Affiliation saves you £2 every time you enter a race during the year, so if you enter 14 races a year you save money... That's just a bonus for me - I like being part of my club, Striders of Croydon, and the club also pays for entry to various cross-country events that I enjoy, but if you enter a lot of races then saving £2 a time does add up.

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone we know running Cambridge half tomorrow?  I'll be there right at the back of the field (a 'walkathon' for me).

Good running all tomorrow, wherever you may be. (e.g. Tokyo for Becca?).
  • Good luck with that Terry. Unfortunately the weather doesn't look too good tomorrow
  • Terry, hope all goes well at Cambridee. I have SVN Mega Challenge at Kigs Wood tomorrow.
    Managed to take part in the final XC race of the season. Definitely not 100% yet, and had to slow down to accommodate what my cardiorespiratory system could cope with, but at least I was able to take part - and finished high enough to be on our B team.
    Hoping that by next weekend I'll be feeling okay for the Samphire 100...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Comrades, by now you should all have received an email from the CMA asking you for a clearance letter from your National Athletics body. This will give you a clearer explanation from Grant Matkovich of what you need to do, it's pretty quick so don't panic and I hope this helps. 

The clearance letter from home federation is needed by all runners now. The ASA is enforcing the IAAF rule for all International runners. This means that all International runners must have a clearance for no matter which race they run in SA (not just Comrades, this includes Two Oceans, Soweto Marathon etc.)

Race numbers WILL NOT be given unless a clearance letter is received before registration. All clearance letters received will be kept on file by technical. So this rule is being enforced and will be policed.

You need a letter of clearance from your home federation. No, you do not need to be a member of a club affiliated, or a even a member of your home federation.

You can submit a letter from you home federation saying that you are NOT a member and you will NOT be restricted from participating, this will appease ASA and the IAAF rule.

The email should have contained a template letter of clearance that runners can copy and paste with their names, to help make the process a bit easier. I will send these ‘template’ letters to you when I have received them. I will also send the email adresses of who to send to at Comrades and ASA, this will follow soon.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, the above is a cut and paste, written by David Ross (uk Comrades ambassador) on the Facebook page..... looks like you don’t need to be a club member.... just a letter from EA saying they don’t object!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    I think Comrades is the victim here.

Picture this being said in an American-Italian accent.

”That’s a very nice race you’ve got over there. We wouldn’t want anything nasty to happen that might put off your overseas runners would we?... We could stop that happening for you if you.......”
  • Also from David Ross on the FB page: "we are awaiting a Pro Forma letter though that unaffiliated runners throughout the UK can use to satisfy the Comrades criteria". So hang on and there will be a proforma letter that you can ask EA to fill in for you to say you're not affiliated, and that's all you need.

• Hello SD. Well the above sounds more hopeful.  Doesn't help the injury though.

When is your 100?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

This is just plain daft isn't it; I have made no commitment to EA at all, and so I need to ask them to write me a letter saying I have made no commitment to EA at all; what a load of stupid sh+te. Why would EA spend the time on me for that? There is absolutely no gain for them whatsoever? And why, if I stump up to the Comrades committee saying I am not affiliated does it matter one jot that the EA would confirm that?

Moreover, why does it take a Comrades ambassador bleating on facebook, a mightily controversial, multiply fined, leaky fake news outlet, to provide a view on how this might work, why wasn't all this in the Comrades e-mail and why isn't it being published on the official Comrades website?  

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Meant to say thanks McH, despite being a grumpy old man I really appreciate the help :) So I have done the right thing it appears in stumping up to EA cap in hand even though they don't know me from Adam.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to hear your engines are all firing TCP :)
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    Thanks lowrez.  Rubbish run today but generally, training going in the right direction.

Thanks for the help McH but I'm still unsure.  I guess it will work itself out.  I've sent an email to UKA.  Not sure what I'll get back or what to do with it when I get it. 
  • Slow 50K completed today at SVN Mega Challenge at King's Wood. Last year was ice, snow and mud underfoot, and very cold. This year the forestry trails were stony except where they were muddy, and it was windy and rainy - although fairly light rain really. Three Comrades hats on view: mine, one belonging to a woman called Debbie wearing last year's shirt, and an 80th Comrades hat worn by a man who is aiming for his 32nd finish this year.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Nice work Debra.

The chap going for no.32 was probably Jack Mortassagne...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

London booking is now for 12:-

London power-up at 7pm on the evening of 27th April

Restaurant - Pasta Menu

o 1owrez + Goldie1 + Soaring Wombat
    o SS + Mr SS
    o thomasclowes
    o Dannirr + 1 (maybe)
    o Becca7
    o Debra Bourne
    o Peter R
    McHilly

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Community Chest Durban - my chosen Race4Charity charity - are doing a limited production run of the following, if there is any interest I can try and reserve some and get them to you on Fri/Sat/Mon in Durban - Cap - 150 ZAR (£8), Belt - 100 ZAR (£5), Buff - 250 ZAR (£14):-

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, I'm glad to see you supporting Community Chest.  They were my choice for my 2015 CC group fundraising.  I've researched them over the years and believed they were the best for lowest overheads in delivering the highest % of raised funds to good causes.

While I'm here, I note that you have me down for the Boston Marathon.  Sadly, I've given up all hope of that after a disastrous Cambridge Half yesterday!  Better take me off that list next time you revise it  :(   Enjoy it yourself though!
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭
    I got my confirmation letter from England Athletics today.  Very quick turn-around from them.  Glad that is sorted.  Not sure what I do with it now.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    EA got back to me, and, initial response is, because I'm not in a club that is affiliated to EA they can't help; which isn't what the fake news outlet on facebook is saying? So I have nicely answered and advised them that as they are the in-country IAAF representation they are the relevant body to provide me with a letter declaring I am not affiliated but that they will not restrict me from running Comrades... if I have to join a club or become directly affiliated with EA I suppose I will have to do that... but I feel like kicking and screaming a bit more first :( 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I think you just forward it to info@comrades.com TCP

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Same as you TCP, received my letter today. Searching through a few posts on facebook have emailed mine to jared@comrades.com and hezekiel@athleticssa.co.za

Not sure what response, if any i shall receive.....

Terry, shame about boston marathon but fantastic effort to run the Cambridge half yesterday. I reckon you could take quite a bit of time off due to the stormy weather :)