P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR: Weymouth is a really scenic course mainly along the seaside and through town a bit. Wee bit lumpy in places so no a very fast course and the wind can have a massive impact on times if its breezy.
    SQ: thats some good mileage and sensible to take things easy after your performance at Wokingham
    Spoons: glad the glute is behaving itself.
    Legs definitely feeling this weeks running with 2 hilly commutes and the LT session the last 3 days.
    Going to shift my long run to Sunday to give my legs a day off tomorrow
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. Code revealed! Thought they might be you rating each run out of 10. But this makes much  more sense.
  • Welcome Hamo! Great to have you on board. Didn't catch if it was London again you were targeting? 

Chick - you certainly don't look it from your photo. 

Lots of miles going on without too much intensity - very sensible in the week after Wokingham (for those that did it). 

Hard bike session last night - 5 x 4 minutes. I like having the variety of bike sessions, as I seem to be able to do them on heavy legs as there's less impact than hard running. Legs still not quite ready for hard running. 

330 miles for Feb, by far my biggest Feb. Also averaged 5 hours biking and 2 hours swim each week so it's been a decent 4 weeks. 

I'm race directing on Sunday (Thames Riverside 20), and it's been bloody stressful! There's so much to sort out, and now the forecast has thrown in the added issue of heavy rain. Will be glad when Sunday evening rolls around and it's over! Been dreaming of portaloos and timing chips. 
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Welcome Hamo. I don’t know many people that didn’t have a poor London last year - 20 minute positive split for me, and I wasn’t even running all-out! Look forward to seeing what following P&D gets you. Those MLRs are definitely a key part of the P&D philosophy.

Sorry to hear your left foot is now giving you trouble FBT. Personally I would probably try taking a break of at least a few days, as keeping running on it is likely to just make it worse. Does icing it help?

Nice cycle/run commute Jools. I used to enjoy doing that in London when I wasn’t doubling. 

Great consistent mileage TR

Keep the faith NE. It took me a while to get back in to the groove, but it will come.

Confidence or stupidity SQ! I just missed those peaceful canal runs. But thankfully it worked out. Solid intervals in the circumstances. Take it easy on that long run!

Hope the race goes well Joe.

Quads felt better this morning, and conditions were great, so gave that session a crack (6 x 1.5 mi @ MP). Managed paces of 6:29, 6:27, 6:24, 6:26 and 6:24, which I was happy enough with given the week off. Pleased with the consistency too. Unfortunately I had to skip the last rep due to an urgent call of nature.

As SQ alluded to, average pace was pleasing - 12 miles at 6:46/mi. I definitely feel like I’ve taken a bit of a step back compared to where I’d got to before the week off, but it’s not as far as I’d feared. And given this time last week I couldn’t walk without discomfort, I’m just glad to be back out there.

Looking forward to seeing how Laura Muir gets on at the European Indoors this weekend. She has a busy evening ahead, 1500m heats then the 3000m final two hours later!

• Spoons - yes icing and Ibuprofen work well, I will take a few days off then have an easy week next week, and take it from there.

Jools as you say, Im only really a recreational runner, who signs up for a marathon then backs right off till next marathon comes along and starts the cycle again, hence why I guess I never really progress.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Welcome Hammo, I’m also in the “getting the GFA time back” boat for London. Mine wasn’t a disaster but (only 8 min positive split) but I did write off any chance of a decent result 3 miles in which I think helped overall.
    ive been straight back into the miles this week. Tried to do 4 x 1.5 miles at LT last night (purely because that’s the only decent flat, well lit traffic free route in the area. First 3 reps were good and then faded a bit on the last. Think I need to get a bit more time at LT in the legs as it showed at Wokingham.

Ive found many benefits from this thread over the years. It’s great to see what regular people can do with a bit of hard work and focus. Seeing how people vary the plans and sessions has really helped as I always used to get a bit obsessed with following things to the letter even if that wasn’t beneficial. 

Going to to find a flat parkrun within an hours drive tomorrow as I haven’t given one a proper go since Xmas.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Yea Joe, all for London...too far to travel for me not to give it a good crack. Fair play to you for race directing, i can imagine how stressful it is. Will be worth it when its over im sure.

Millsy...im glad to hear you say that, cause im overthinking any small tweak i have to make to the plan, and getting a bit obsessive with following to the letter. Nice to hear you can tweak it for the better.

You havent taken that much of a step back if you can knock out that session Spoons, and it will all come flooding back quickly, and then some now your back at it, the break will have really let the adaptions sink in while you where healing. Glad to see you properly back.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Bugger about your foot FBT. I'd say it's best to follow Spoons advice of taking a few days off. Not sure what I would actually do if it were me though.

Joe - Hope all goes well for the race. Good on you for putting something back into the sport. I imagine there could be some muddy sections if it rains. 

Nice LT reps Millsy. Tough ones.

Spoon - Great MLR. Pace is looking good. Great the the glut is behaving after that MLR and the reps.

hammo - had exactly the same thought about the head torch this morning. Those MLRs are good but I rarely have time to do them midweek. The plan is there to be tweaked. Not matter how good a plan is, I don't think blindly following a generic plan is ever a good idea. Even if you had a top coach set a plan specifically for you, they would be adjusting it all the time depending on how you respond to the training and how you're feeling.

SQ - good work on the reps and hopefully you can squeeze in your LR tomorrow.

Got out for a long run this morning. Managed just short of 20 miles averaging a 6:38/mile, which was good. Could feel the Wednesday double in the legs to start with but got rolling alright and finished off around MP+10%ish without really pushing. Last mile or so I could feel I was fatiguing so wouldn't have wanted to do any more. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Lots of great running going on there.
    Highlight has to be Spoons' 5x1.5M session just because it means the campaign is still alive & kicking.
    Hamo Got my GFA back at Abo in October so can afford to go for sub 3 in Brighton (& risk a blow up)
    5M at lunch today

• I’ll add my welcome Hammo, I’m another that had a bad day London 2018 so you are in good company.

Top LR HA - good to get that in before the weekend.
    Good to see you posting that session Spoons and so soon after the injury.
    Sorry to read of your foot troubles FBT.
    Good to see the LTs being posted AWC and Millsy and the VO2 SQ.  Apologies to anyone who posted on the previous page.
    Good luck for race directing Joe, the stress is because you care and I’m sure that will come through to the runners, the care, not the stress.

349 Feb miles for me, I’m trying to stay fairly relaxed about the plan but I think i’ve only missed or adapted two or three sessions.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    NE - dont worry about your running pace outside of the key sessions, i do plenty of slow running.

Welcome hamo

SQ - well done on the mileage, and the session. Good to be breaking a February total record. Hope you get the long run in, i hope to be out there too.

AWC - sounds like a tough race there, its a bit far for me anyway.

Spoons - good that you are back to it. Good session that, ive considered 6x 10min before, which would be similar. I only have a few sessions left so I'll stick with the 3min reps (and my mlr focus).

Millsy - well done on the 1.5m reps too, hope they sharpen you up for fleet.

HA - ive found the last few miles of thise mp+10% sections tough too, but i guess thats the point. They make my hammys ache.

Thats a great month the macca
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Only 255 in Feb for me which again is my lowest Feb for years, 5 in fact. Not going to get hung up on the totals though: still averaging 10M/day for 2019 & only running 6 days a week. Done more cycling this year than I have since 2014 which was the year I did my first IronMan (Tenby) hence the lower run mileage too.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Some big monthly mileage going around. Great stuff. 230 for me in Feb. A bit of a slow start with that knee niggle, but more importantly than the overall mileage, the last 3 weeks have been solid and I've felt that I'm building some good fitness. One more week of the same before an easy week leading into Reading half. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    TR - the mother in law lives in Portland so it’s one of the few races I gain brownie points for suggesting we go to :)
  • Hmmm  and I was feeling OK about 136 for February!

Anyway, I'm on 10 for March so far.  Newport half on Sunday.  Could get drenched.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - it would be rude not to run it then !

Long run earlier,  bit short of time so a 20m P and D progressive 20%/10% rather than a time on feet long run. 5 av 8.01, 5 av 7.48, 5 av 7.30, 5 av 7.02. Headwind in last few miles prevented a sub 7mm av for that section, but it was bloody hard work which is what matters.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Slightly mixed morning at the 10k. 38:15 and 12th place out of 500 odd.

Was on for sub 38 throughout. My GPS was 50 metres ahead of the km markers until Km 9 and then ended up running 10.15 km? The last one felt long but there we go. Still, a PB by more than a minute

Worryingly got a bit of heel pain afterwards. RICE the order of the day
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB george, was the heel pain a new thing?

10m for me today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice racing George. Still sandbagging your marathon target then? ;) Hope the heel pain is nothing serious.
    Another quality w/e TR, especially that progressive 20.
    Hope the half went OK NE. Wind wasn't too bad on the Brecon canal around Llanfoist this morning for my 20 miler. Took it nice & steady after racing parkrun/XC yesterday so was able to push for home in the final few miles. Nothing like MP but an increase in pace nevertheless. Only had 100ml of Lucozade at 16M since breakfast too so pleased with that. Soaking from early & lots of running through puddles, sliding on muddy patches & generally having to work the mental game.
    Big plate of sausage & spud has gone down a treat since :)
  • Great time george. Well done.
    Another good running weekend for you Jools.

Newport Half did nothing to improve my confidence today!  Really great running conditions...  cool, light rain and very little wind.  Absolutely went for it. My shoe laces never came undone and I  really don't think I could have run any faster.  Plan was to go for about 1:37, secretly hoping to be slightly faster but as fast as I felt I was running, I wasn't - and I got to the 11 mile marker thinking even 1:40 was out of reach.   As it was I dug in enough to (according to my Garmin) get there with 2 or 3 seconds to spare! More than 6 minutes slower than last time I ran it in 2016.

Sure, I can lose a bit more weight.  Yes, I've got 9 more weeks.  Yes, this wasn't tapered and it was at the end of a rare 50 mile week but today's experience is in line with what I've been seeing recently and a 3:20 marathon looks a long way off. 

I'm hoping that maybe as I introduce more speed training, it will all come together... and it really might. But it's a bit of a leap of faith at the moment.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done jools a good days work.

Northender - its important to lose the race day ego a bit during build up races, untapered and at the end of a big week for you. Keep calm and carry on. Not sure about your speed comment,  make sure you get the long and medium runs in if you are doing lower miles. Marathoning is a game of strength.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Massive month, Joe. Really hope the RDing went well. Well done you.

Great session, spoons and pleased the long run worked out well. To salvage a 70M week is very positive. Thanks also for bringing the indoor champs to the forefront, I really enjoyed watching the evening session last night. But a quick question, why do some wear arm warmers? Surely it’s not cold. And why did one GB/American wear only one?! Laura Muir was very strong.

Nice long run, HA. I think doing that at a reasonable lick so soon after the Wednesday doubles is excellent marathon training.

Jools ‘risk a blow up’? Surely not! Great weekend of parkrun/XC/long run. I really fancy that canal path at some point.

Excellent MPing, Macca. Hope we can shadow each other in London as well.

Perfectly paced long run, TR.

Good effort at the 10k, George. In races I tend to turn off auto lapping and manually lap at each mile/k marker. If running with a big goal in mind, I then look at average lap time. This, hopefully, avoids the issue with GPS over-measuring. Mind you, it still doesn’t stop me slowing down! Hope the heel pain ok. Were you wearing racing flats?

You make lots of valid points for a slower than hoped for time, NE. Take them on board!

I realised that last Friday’s intervals were not only the first since late September/early October, but had also been entirely absent whilst setting recent 5M and 10k PBs – food for thought. Anyway, having driven for nearly an hour straight after the intervals, my left hip flexor was very tight. I could feel it throughout the day and so wasn’t sure how the planned long run would go, especially with the less than ideal timing of it being the day after the intervals. Nonetheless. Cracked on with a 20M on Saturday morning. Very tight hip at first, but generally felt fine at easy pace. Never pushed it and averaged 7:15s on a reasonably lumpy route. Another long drive that morning and it was very stiff when getting out of the minibus. Did 6M easy/recovery yesterday afternoon and again it was noticeable initially, but then fine once going. I’ve booked an appointment to see a sports masseuse tomorrow – slightly worried about the can of worms she will no doubt open. Also, any tips on what to wear for what could be a fairly intimate massage?!

Enjoyable 7M recovery with spoons this morn. Will squeeze the other 3 in later somewhere. Seemed to avoid the ridiculous gales blowing in the night.

P&D 70-85 ‘rest’ week. Surely ‘recovery’ is a piss take?

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hope the massage does the trick SQ. Recovery week with a 15, 24 & 7@LT!! Surely that's peak mileage - the week before is much lighter. Also since when does 87 fit in between 70-85?
    I got all my PBs between Dec17 & Mar18 without running an interval session.
    On that note: what do you mean by speedwork NE? LT & MP work is certainly useful but I wouldn worry about the VO2 stuff. As TR says bank those L & ML runs. As I recall you know yourself pretty well so I'm sure you'll be able to gauge a realistic target for Newport nearer the time.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    NE - I wouldn't read too much into an untapered race when you've just been getting back into it. I think you'll surprise yourself with how much you can improve with some consistent training over the next 7 weeks or so.

Jools - Great racing and LR over the weekend. Do you normally take on more fuel during a LR? 

George - Good work on the 10k. Hope the heel is alright.

Great LR TR.

SQ - Surely a mistake on the plan there. 7 mile LT and 24 mile LR don't below in a recovery week. Hope the massage can work out the stiffness. I usually wear my leopard print thong when going for a sports massage.

10x 1k reps this morning, with 2 min jog recovery. First one was pretty slow at 3:31 (5:39/mile) but was still warming up and managed to get down to 3:14 (5:12/mile) by the end. Hard enough session without busting a gut.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    NE: same as the others have said there's a lot of variables going into a race like that. Whatever the reality it will have stimulated some good training adaptations.
    HA: thats a lot of 1km reps! Great session
    George: great 10km pace and well done on the big PB!
    Jools: tough long run - definitely a character building one like mine!
    SQ: hope the massage manages to relieve the tightness. I'm with HA on the leopard print thong
    Got out for a 17mi run yesterday morning. Weather was atrocious. Felt I was running still in parts as the wind was gusting to 50mph down with us. It was one of those just get it done and out of the way runs where I listened to a podcast just to get me through it.

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Leopard print thong it is!

Jooligan I think they are only nicely rounded titles, as the first few weeks are just below 70 anyway. 

Super reps, HA. Nice 'slow' one  ;)

Well done on the long one, AWC. I was glad to be running only 6M yesterday. Ridiculously stiff breeze at times!
  • Great 10k George - top sandbagging!

SQ - yes a total piss take - make your own recovery week up like I have (0 miles)

NE - I am in the same boat - off my paces and more hope than anything else for my marathon time.. As with you I could do with loosing a few pounds for the marathon, but hard to shift! Im making sure I have a plan B and plan C for my marathon day. To be fair racing a half at the end of a 50 mile week will put a serious dent in your time (well it would me)

Still no running for me...Booo

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Great reps HA. I nearly always find they get faster too until I'm cooked that is! Don't normally eat on a LR but had a bad one after Snowdonia then XC where I bonked badly at 16 so had a soul destroying 4M death March. Was wary of similar given how I'd gone from feeling great to struggling at XC on Saturday. Hence I stashed a drink at the start of the canal section, did 8 out & back, then ran on 2.
    Take it the foot's still bad then FBT?

• I was going to suggest a Borat style over the shoulder mankini SQ, just so that the hips are clear of material. Leopard print optional, but hey why not ! Hope you can get it sorted.

Well done on everyone racing Wokingham - some great results amidst great running conditions. Macca you can pace me to sub 2.45 at London, ta !

Nice one at Brighton FBT.

Evidently lots of good training and racing going on elsewhere but I have not kept up with the thread since middle of last week and just scanned down the current last page and Strava. Sorry if I missed anything noteworthy.

I had a very soggy old race at Newport half marathon yesterday, which I am going to re-christen the Newport Nipple Destroyer due to the rain and the increasing wind towards the end of the race. I may have scraped under 1.18 - just. The results are a bit slow in emerging as there were some problems with people running using last years race numbers.

I ran conservatively - I'm not one that can race off no taper - and I felt some fatigue was limiting me getting out top end effort, so I was pleased to see the clock showing 1.17 as I entered the last 200m. I may have been in the top 10 as there were not many people around at the finish.

It's now do or die time, with respect to making everything marathon specific. I have been struggling to get the long runs in so I am going to resort to using annual leave and taking Friday afternoons off to get them done. Slightly worried this will scupper the weekend running, but as I don't have much more than a couple of hours to spare every other weekend, it seems like the lesser of two evils.