Sunday 3rd March 2019 - Everything is as it should be

Morning.

Lyrics - Everything is as it should be

Hope you have a good race Hazel - I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Anyone else racing today?

The worst of the weather seems to have gone through for now (forecast more wind and rain later) so I'm hoping it won't be too bad for my run but I have a bad back (tweaked it on Thursday sitting on uncomfortable chairs at the hospital I think) which seems to be getting worse rather than better, as it's the 'good' side of my back it's making sleeping difficult so I'm not feeling the best - need to find the happy place I was in last week!

What:            hopefully a LSR
Why:             the road to London
Last hard:     finding my PMA this morning
Last rest:      27/1
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Good Morning

Hazel Good luck racing today;-)

LMH: I hope you get relief from  your back soon.

Well it happened I caught Alun's lurgy started to feel awful late yesterday so no running  today will dose up and pray I can shift it fast. I may try a short walk later for fresh air will see how I feel. But I slept for 10 hours:-)

What: Nowt
    Why: See above
    Last hard: Dealing with this Lurgy
    Lyrics: Nope
    Last rest : 3/3
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were Carly Simon with You're So Vain.

Enjoy pinning a number on HazelWabo and anyone else toeing the line.

PMA lacking here, also, LMH, after sleeping much better!

What: short run and fitness suite

Why: chest is preventing any decent running
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Good luck today, racers. Hope you have fun.

Heading vibes to the lurgified ale and poppy. And I hope your back eases, LMH.

Wet and windy here but not cold. I'm feeling a bit meh today so may take a rest day.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Not good regarding your back LMH - especially if it is affecting your sleep.  Did you manage an LSR?

Hope your OH gives you some good TLC after passing on his lurgy WP.  Bit of fresh air might do you good.

Good news regarding the sleep Ale.

Hope the meh improved Chicksta or alternatively you were able to enjoy a rest day?

What: 10k in Payerne in 43:06 so 30 seconds slower than my 10k PB 7th / 59 F40, 36th / 238 ladies overall
    Why: wanted to pin on a race number and see where I am
    Last hard: bloody wind!
    Last rest 2.3.

Lyrics: no

Race report - sorry for the length:

I travelled to and from the race location by public transport which went smoothly though I did get on the wrong train at a connection on the way home.  Not a big issue, just added a few minutes to my journey.   Payerne is the French speaking bit of Switzerland, but I managed to stumble out sufficient French - they always understood me at least.  

I was pleased to see that there were enough changing rooms for the ladies - indeed I had exclusive access to one with plenty of hot water and my own loo!  

Did a couple of warm up miles on the track with drills and strides.

Not having raced for two months I wasn't sure what shape I was in.  My plan was to set off at 10k PB pace and hold on as long as I could.  Any chances of a new PB were off though due to several windy km towards the end which left me struggling at a bit quicker than LT pace.  I also haven't done much in the way of short intervals in the last weeks.  The legs held out pretty well, tiring as of around 8.5 km.  The lungs were not happy at the pace though.  I also got stitch at km 3.  (yet again..!)

The conditions were good otherwise - on the cycle to the train station I initially thought brrr, in the train also but on arrival at the race location it had warmed up already and I wisely chose to run in vest and shorts, I would have overheated in more.

Splits - watch measured a bit short but others on Strava have 10k or a bit over so not concerned that it might be short and it is an officially measured course.

km 1 /4:06 - bit overambitious - needed to get that adrenalin slump out of the legs after crossing the start line.
    km 2-3 / 4:15 - spot on intended pace
    km 4 / 4:24 - first section into the wind
    km 5 / 4:16 - back to business
    km 6 / 4:13 - swopping places with a young lady and getting annoyed by her overtaking and cutting in front of me and making a wierd ahh noise every few seconds
    km 7 / 4:31 - bloody wind and feeling a bit queasy
    km 8 / 4:30 - can we run in the other direction please?
    km 9 / 4:24 - trying to speed up again (dropping Miss Ahh finally)
    km 10 / 4:19 - summoning up a bit of a dash for the last metres.

1st lady: 32:03 (she won silver in the 3000m steeple in the European Championships last year
    1st man: 29:59(,05)  Does that mean he gets 30:00??

Also did 2 km cool down - find this very helpful to stop the legs stiffening up.

Finisher goody: a hunk of Gruyère cheese and a bottle of shower gel.  Useful things, you can't eat T-shirts.
  • Little M.iss HappyLittle M.iss Happy ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nice facilities and post race goodies Hazel - I'd much prefer those to a medal and a t-shirt both of which get given or thrown away. Sounds like a strong F40 field. How are you feeling about it after a bit of time to reflect?

I hope you managed a walk Poppy.

What did you decide chicksta?

I bet you made it out anyway Alehouse. Are you feeling any better?

It was wetter but not as windy as forecast here this morning which I'll take and I actually managed a nice progressive LSR which I managed to enjoy though I did have to take ibuprofen to make the back manageable. I get so frustrated at being so fragile but sch is life.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

Hope you enjoyed your day with dad, RFJ...even if not the result! A much better performance!

Talking of performances, well done Hazel: I suspect you will soon be in PB territory over 10k, and hopefully longer. Good to pin a number on and run fairly close in not the best conditions. Well done!

Not at my best, LMH! Ran about a mile, slowly, in the rain after the fitness suite. Peak flow way down despite the new course of steroids. As I have only two tablets/two days left of the course I may well be back at the GP tomorrow or Wednesday if no significant improvement.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Ale, its a fantastic memory in the bank for both of us, it was a very good game, and we both enjoyed it, just him slightly more than me...

Hazel, great racing

Poppy / Ale, hope you both get better soon, same with your back LMH.

7.8m for me this morning, longest run to date and no issues, so happy

Take care
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Rest day by design
    Last hard -  last 2 swims to qualify for Polar Bear Challenge
    Hopefully long run tomorrow
    Lyrics no

Heading to Switzerland after Loch Katrine to see daughter.
    Leave UK on Brexit -2d