Moving from Treadmill to Outdoors

Hi all, i have been running 5k regularly on a treadmill but want to go outdoors, any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Answers

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    You'll sweat far less, yet your pace will probably decrease, so run to effort (using a Heart Rate Monitor if possible).

Sign up for, and run your local Parkrun. You'll enjoy it, maybe meet some peeps, and get a benchmark for future performances. 

And be wary of dogs on extendable leads, you won't have encountered many of them on the 'mill.

All the best.
  • I've always found outdoor runs to be easier and definately more enjoyable than treadmill training!

Know your route before you go, there's nothing more annoying than breaking your stride keep starting and stopping and dont worry about your pace to start with - you're losing the momentum of a treadbelt so it can drop off initially. Also be mindful of your shins, tarmac doesnt absorb the impact like a treadmill so dont do too much too soon, I learnt the hard way. Go enjoy!
  • You're right about the shins and I did find it much harder,  hills and slippy, uneven surfaces keep it interesting,  but I've got out there now,  just got to keep going!