Overdone it?

Comments

• Did my 3 miles last night and foot okay - no reaction this morning - might try 20 mins on Thursday. Going to attempt 2 mindless hours on gym bike tonight.
  • That's good news. Alan Partridge and Fleabag could get you through an hour of the bike Skinny.

Official results out from Sunday show I managed 1.17.59 for 8th. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice to dip under 1.18, Muddy.

I can imagine Alan Partridge is a love/hate matter. For me it's love.

I watched some of uni challenge, like the Manchester team I barely understood the bonus questions they kept getting!!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    What a satisfying chip time to get! :)

I was rubbish at UniChall last night. Clearly not enough training. I only got 8, and possibly 10 if I was being generous, but in reality I just couldn't get the answer out in time to count.
  • literatin said:
    What a satisfying chip time to get! :)

I was rubbish at UniChall last night. Clearly not enough training. I only got 8, and possibly 10 if I was being generous, but in reality I just couldn't get the answer out in time to count.
    Me and Mrs Skinny drew 5-5 (we got 10 in total, no draws) which is really rubbish for us - questions maybe were hard and also Antao took forever to answer so maybe there were less questions? 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Superb MPish effort at Newport, muddy.  Looking promising for your marathon (hope that doesn't jinx you!).  I enjoyed reading your race report over on the Stevie G thread.  I know we're slower than them but please don't leave us.  Oh, and speaking as a former SE Wales resident, the river will likely have been the Usk.  You wouldn't have heard the sound of the finish across the Severn!
  • Good point Pete I was led astray by DT on that front who mentioned the Severn in Strava comments!

I am not leaving by the way, just got sucked in by Stevie G's lurker amnesty :) Anyway we are one nation under a groove so what difference does a thread make ;) 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Never trust a word on social media, Muddy!!

10 mile tempo today over lunch with 2 wu and 0.5 cd. I was conscious i did a big session sunday so set out tentatively with a 6.42. Aim was to progress it and run second half faster than first. Last time i did this in early Feb came out 6.27mm for 167bpm. I took on board that, that was too much for that distance. Today came out 6.35 for 157 with the max hr posted being 163. Second half 17 seconds faster than first half. The reduced hr average is quite a big difference even if you factor in the 8 seconds a mile slower that i ran it. 

Just a 5 mile recovery tomorrow. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed both Partridge and Fleabag. Avoided UniChall though. 

Good session, DT.  

5 x Km reps yesterday.  My legs were still tired so struggled to quite hit paces, not far off.  But session ticked off.  MLR this morning before work (12).  Feels like a big week, this week. Got the 18 with 14 at MP session on Saturday which I will extend to 20 as I missed a 20 a few weeks ago.   Less than two weeks til taper.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

I forget that Manchester is so close as London is that little later this year.

I had a very heavy legged 5 miler last night. I will be glad to get tonight's 11 done to have a few days off running over the weekend, before moving into a big 5 week phase.

Anybody else doing Ashby 20 this year? I thought Tommy had a snowed off place last year so might be back in?

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Not me, although I sort of wish I did have a place as if you're going to a race 20 miles seems like not such a big deal somehow.  I've started listening to podcasts on long runs to distract me from the boredom.  My usual long running companions all seem to be doing their long runs midweek whilst I'm at work these days.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes I think it's a bit easier in a race scenario, particular if you are mara preping and not seeing the 20 as the big one (which some do) then tootling around at sub mara pace for just 20 seems much easier.

I've also found that with every other of my long runs being a mixed pace session they seem to go by much faster (obviously they will as I am running faster) than just trudging out 20 miles.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    I did have a snowed off place from last year but I decided not to take them up on the option as I thought racing a 20 miler, or doing a large chunk of it at MP, 2 weeks out from my marathon wouldn't be the best idea. 

I'm racing the Midland road relays the day before and will probably follow that up with an easy 20 on the Sunday. I'm trying a 2 week taper out this time round. 

3*3k with 1k recoveries scheduled for this evening. That will be lovely in the current wind and rain we're experiencing. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    3 0 0 2  B)
    Good. Hopefully no foot reaction. 

3*3k was hard work last night especially the first rep which was right into the teeth of the a strong head wind. Pace for each of the reps was 6:20-6:23 which I guess is between 10k and 10 mile pace. Hoping to give parkrun a go tomorrow but will see how things pan out.  
  • Nicely done Skinny.  Slowly does it.

Easy miles done today with some strides. Thinking about a Parkrun tomorrow followed by a very easy 14 on Sunday.  Will have to be easy if I'm going to give it full beans tomorrow.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Good one Tommy and fingers crossed Skinny. Good luck to you and David at parkrun. Did you say you would do one too Skinny ?

I will run in a park but without third party timing tomorrow. Yesterday I felt rundown and opted for rest, today out for a progressive 10k at lunchtime, finishing up around half marathon effort, which felt challenging even for a mile or so. I'm probably not quite right or recovered still.
  • Good one Tommy and fingers crossed Skinny. Good luck to you and David at parkrun. Did you say you would do one too Skinny
    No - plan was to golf and run 3 easy on Sunday but when I got to golf it was snowed off so finished up doing parkrun.

21:44 10 secs off last time.

3 0 0 2 0 3.25 0 Total 8.25  B)B)
  • When was the last time you did  3 runs in a week Skinny?  

I managed to win the Catford parkrun today.  Was tough going and a lot of the course was on grass.  Time was 19:20 but I'm sure the course was short.  I'll take it though! 
  • When was the last time you did  3 runs in a week Skinny?  

I managed to win the Catford parkrun today.  Was tough going and a lot of the course was on grass.  Time was 19:20 but I'm sure the course was short.  I'll take it though! 
    March 2017 but I probably did 3 runs longer than the 8.25 miles in that week.

Well done on the parkrun win - your first presumably? Something I've never managed although funnily enough the winning time today was only 19:50, something I would have been able to beat two years ago.

Was it close or did you have it in the bag from early on?
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell, March 2017 !?! What are you thinking for next week ?

Well done DH

I was up at 6 and had 20M done by 9. Time was 2:52:33, 20 seconds slower than my mara pb, but 12 secs a mile quicker than 2 weeks ago for the same effort. Certainly feeling it in the legs last couple of miles but i guess that's inevitable off 45-50M weeks.

• Nice run mace.  I'm planning an early start tomorrow too.

Skinny, my first ever parkrun!  1 start, 1 gold.  Might just retire and bask in this glory.  I was third place after about a minute of running and then just kept it as steady as I could.  The two in front seemed to just run out of steam.  Think I won by about 15 seconds? 
  • 13 seconds it turns out.
  • mace said:
    Bloody hell, March 2017 !?! What are you thinking for next week ?

Well done DH

I was up at 6 and had 20M done by 9. Time was 2:52:33, 20 seconds slower than my mara pb, but 12 secs a mile quicker than 2 weeks ago for the same effort. Certainly feeling it in the legs last couple of miles but i guess that's inevitable off 45-50M weeks.

Something similar without a parkrun and same for a few weeks more after that - it was an attrition injury so fact I can do it once doesn't mean I can repeat but surely the fact I can do it once means that there has been some improvement in my condition.

Well done on the 20 - is that 2 in the bag now?

Skinny, my first ever parkrun!  1 start, 1 gold.  Might just retire and bask in this glory.  I was third place after about a minute of running and then just kept it as steady as I could.  The two in front seemed to just run out of steam.  Think I won by about 15 seconds? 
    Haha - it's all downhill from here!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

David, well done on the parkrun win. Something i've not managed before either. 2nd is my best.

Mace, well done on the early 20. It must feel nice to be done as much of the country is just getting up.

Back from Edinburgh now, feeling a little jaded still today. 4m run and spin on the agenda later.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Well done David, comfortable win in the end! 19:20 equates to a 1:28 half marathon...

Good work on the parkrun Skinny. Hope the foot continues to behave.  

I made it to Victoria Dock parkrun on Saturday morning despite being fairly hungover. Started off fairly steady and was probably in about 25-30th place after the first half mile but soon after that the enthusiastic starters started to fade and I began to overtake plenty. This is how it continued for the rest of the race / free weekly timed run. Ended up finishing in 19:15ish which is a hangover PB. Would like to go back and have a go at it when fresh as of the 30 odd different parkruns I've done that is the fastest course. It's also the only parkrun I've done which isn't in a park or green space area.  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    well done, Tommy. My recollection is that victoria dock came out top of the recent league table of fastest parkruns. 
  • Good luck with this week's mileage Skinny. 

Missed my long run at the weekend due to the 5k and family commitments on the sunday (eating my own bodyweight in cheese at a fondue restaurant) so have done a quick 8 today.  

Tommy - Well done on the hangover PB.  I simply wouldn't have got out of bed.  
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT - yes you're right. I think there were some question marks about if it was a full 5k but it has been properly measured with a wheel apparently. I think with the two 180 degree turns and running alongside high rise buildings for much of it the GPS goes a bit nuts. 

DH - As I was sat on the DLR I was thinking about sacking it off and going back to bed but did feel better for running. Forgot to mention that I followed up the parkrun with a lap of the open water swim course in Victoria Dock. A water temperature of 8 degrees made it very refreshing. 

• Great efforts :smile: