Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's seriously good stuff TR. My December featured decent enough mileage but mostly 6/7 doubles. Just 2x20M & 1x16M.
    A fun training run then CW. 2 years ago I started almost 5 minutes after the gun at my local HM in 2017. Fortunately I got over the line just before they lifted the chip mat. Passed 2,000+ runners including all but the fastest of my clubmates. Great fun cheering them as I sped past. Finished 94th overall but 50th on chip time & missed my PB by 1s!! Had no idea I was in that shape as I'd been feeling lurgified all week & was almost a DNS as I figured I was going to have such a crap run. Funny old game eh?
    No running today just the usual bike commute/2K swim combo.
  • Good miles on a school night TR!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling no worse (I think!) LMH. I could see from my race photos that I was running gently enough to be breathing through my nose (thanks to Vicks First Defence), so I wasn't putting any serious demand on my lungs or heart when ill.

TR -- they were letting pen 4 of 4 go when I started; 8200 finished, and I was about 1200th (not like you Jooligan!), so I must have overtaken about 5K. Fortunately they have a reasonably wide route these days. Great campaign by the way!

Enjoy the taper, Wardi!

• Crikey thats a fast 20 miler AP 
    And a fast HM Padams
    Are you all set for Sunday Wardi
    Jooligan I wear tempos have done for about 10 years
    Textbook TR 

Have you heard the one about the runner who's been doing it almost 12 years, and on a comeback decided to go and do a scenic (hilly) run a few weeks back having not been near a hill for yonks, who's also doing a very flat marathon  :#

2500ft or so in 15 miles a week last Friday (I know thats not that much but I live in E Yorks and its very flat here), meant I finished with a really really tight quad. I gave it some massage and had it treated on the Saturday and went out with the all clear on the Sunday. 5 miles in it goes a bit tight for the next mile it went tight to gait altering to actually limping. Followed by about a 3 mile walk / hobble to civilisation! Was a beautiful day though so not all bad. 

Anyway comeback run today, eased in with one about 7.30s then another 5 at what felt somewhere around marathon pace! 6.30s on road and 7 on the offroads / when the dog needed dragging back on the road. 

I don't know if I was right to push it a bit but I feel like I haven't lost much and quad behaving. 

Manchester is 4 weeks Sunday and I'm unsure how to approach it now? 
    If I drop back in to what I was doing previous - long runs, midweek long some tempo, or go for quality and keep the longer runs medium but a bit quicker / structured? 
    advice appreciated on that 

Hills =  >:)
  • Oh dear WTGY - pleased to hear you're back on the road now though. How long did you have out?

Pleased to hear you're no worse Charlie.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Still a helluva lot of overtaking CW.
    Sounds painful WTGY. Sounds like speed isn't a problem so I'd do 2 more weeks with plenty of miles. You shouldn't need a massive taper as you've just had 10 days off.
    I tried the Tempos at parkrun Saturday & they were fine. Used them again today for my fartlek session & they really came in to their own once I upped the pace. Glad I went for an 11.5 too.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Similar size feet to me then Jooligan.  I have been buying my chosen NB's in size 11 and 2E wider fit for years but always found this size quite rare and hard to find a bargain.  I gambled on a standard width 11.5 for my last pair and they seem to fit fine.
    TR.. true grit getting that 18m done in rough weather last night!
    WTGY.. schoolboy error there - you need to copy Charlie's favourite running up & down multi storey car park steps routine to prepare for the hills. :o   Good to see the quad has recovered quickly.
    Yes taper in progress, after nearly 3 months with no rest day my body felt like a lump of lard after resting yesterday!  Did a steady 6m today so normal service resumed.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good job the path was clear then Charlie, thats a lot of overtaking.

WTG - looks to me that the lesson learned was not to fo something too different, that sounds like the best plan now too.

Wardi - sounds like a typical taper then.

5m minimal commute as predicted.
  • I'm the same if I take a rest day Wardi - the main reason I now do a short run the day before a race. When do you travel?

Glad the shoes worked out for you Jooligan. Do you prefer them to the Bostons?

Heavy rain and strong winds forecast for the next few days. I may struggle to make the miles I wanted this week, will just have to see how bad it actually is I guess.
  • LMH - from the Thursday long hilly one 2 days, then the breakdown run 8 days from then. 
    Jools always 1/2 size up in them they’re my everyday trainer, used to run races in adios, which I actually still have
    TR good point but would be looking to be icing at the moment wouldn’t I?
    Wardi I remember that prep for when he was doing the BGR on his holidays.
    this was ah it’s a lovely looking day let’s go run in this scenic area 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hard to say tbh LMH. I've only had one pair of Bostons and loved them but they were slightly tight especially after racing hence going up to 11.5 for the Tempos. I'd definitely get another pair of Bostons if I found them at a decent price.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Morning sportsfans!!

It has been a while. From a look back at the last page or so TR seems to be baking a huge cake, Padams still racing well off of not a lot of mileage (I should do Berks HM again at some stage), and Al_P knocked in a quality 20m!

I've had a bit of a horrible start to the year. Back in January, in an attempt to be sensible and avoid getting injured in the icy conditions I ran on a treadmill...…. and got injured. I basically planted my leg awkwardly, shearing through my knee, and tearing the medial meniscus on my right knee. I managed to run occasionally (in line with doctor's orders) - I managed a 60m week at one stage, but mainly around the 20mpw mark, and only 5m last week (imminent assignment deadline, busy workload, and I was mentally resetting myself to return to training after getting the all clear last Thursday).

Plan now is for 10 weeks of Lydiard style base training, using Reading HM, Manchester Marathon, and London Marathon, as glorified training runs, and focusing on shorter distances for the rest of the year (bar a break for wedding/honeymoon/family holiday).

I hope everybody else has gotten through winter in better shape than I did!!!
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    WTGY -- Wardi's right, though my repertoire also includes bridges for mere hill training (car park stairs for _mountain_ training!). It's the downhill you have to train for.

Enjoy the taper if you can, Wardi!

I'm packing lots of slow miles in at the beginning of the week, but it's the annual low-key Cambridge Boundary Run (muliterrain) on Sunday which I'll do as VLM training, so I'll let my legs freshen up a bit before that. Last night's rain puts me in a shoe conundrum, as there is quite a lot of road, but also some mud...

• WTGY - if it were me I'd get as many miles in as I felt I could handle for two weeks and then sharpen up in a two week taper.

Blimey TippTop - sounds as though you've had loads going on. Did you ever get to the bottom of your digestive issues?

How far is the Boundary Run Charlie?

Weather wasn't as bad as forecast when I got out today and as I seemed to be in Forest Gump bimble mode I decided to stay out for miles as there was obviously going to be no pace in the run so a comfortable 22 for my longest run of the year so far.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nicely done LMH, hope it wasn't too wet.
    TT.. I think you win the continually unlucky award, I thought the only way to get injured on a treadie was falling off the back!  Better luck with the restart this time.
    Best of luck on Sunday Charlie, sounds like a road shoe with some grip might be the best choice.
    5.3m with a couple of miles close to MP this morning.  Glad I got it done then as the afternoon was a wet one.
    By contrast the forecast for Barca on Sunday looks fine & dandy to me.  Blue sky, not too warm given the 08:30 start.  18 degrees in the latter stages I can cope with.  Also ideal for a few post race Estrellas in the sun. :)

• I managed to step inside my front door just as the really heavy stuff started Wardi. Not jealous of your trip to the sun, oh no, not at all............
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    WTG - maybe some icing if you've done a bit already? 3min reps? Other wise get the long and medium long runs in for 2 weeks.

Blimey TT, your toaster is always under attack.

Wardi - looks good !

Good for you LMH, the weather rarely is as bad as folks build it up to be. Is that the 2nd or 3rd this week?

Jools - how many ? 15 here tonight.

Looks like my plan of front loading next week ready for fleet 1/2 is going to be scuppered by work sadly. Might have to have a big weekend and still train normally later next week.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - you lucky sod with the sunshine! Just the small matter of a marathon to run first! Good luck for Barca!!

LMH - a lot on might be an understatement  - high profile work, study (both mine and my better half - though she finished last Friday), trying to sell a house (not an easy thing during Brexit-gate!!!), and planning a wedding, not to mention the standard stuff that comes from 5 kids between us (4 living with us). It's all good fun though. I'm awaiting final confirmation, but it looks like bile acid malabsorption. 
    Nice one on the 22m!!

TR - lol. As it happens, from a toaster point of view, I've worked out that my ability to go from out of shape to in decent shape in 9 weeks or so is responsible for not getting consistent training for any period under my belt - it puts too much strain on my body. That's why I've opted to focus on shorter stuff this year. You sound like you've been training well! What have you been averaging mileage wise?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - thats an interesting theory, maybe you could find some middle intensity ground. I did 75m in the last week of Nov, and have done something like 34X, 330 and 28X for the last 3 months, so 70 to 80 mpw. I must be a lot fitter than when i did 3.01 at abo, off a compromised huild up.
  • Christ TT, how the heck did you manage that??? 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice LR LMH.
    That's a decent forecast Wardi though I'd still find it a bit warm for a marathon with the sunshine beating down however the Estrella will certainly go down well in the afternoon.
    Classic Wednesday then TR. 16.3 progressive miles for me. Opted for the treadmill (2% incline) as it was hammering down & I didn't fancy the flooded towpath in the dark again. Started at 8:00 & upped the pace 4s/mile every 12 minutes so I was doing 7:26 by the final 12 minutes. Added a 5 minute cool down gradually slowing the pace back to 8s. Hope the weather holds out for tomorrow's cycle in/run back commute.
  • Second TR.

You do seem to live life in the fast lane TippTop.

Good mental training on the treadie Jooligan. Hope the weather is ok for you today.

It's a pain when work stops play TR but you could probably afford a lighter week if you wanted to see what you can do at Fleet?
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    That's great volume TR. I think those 9 weeks without the base (rather than just the 9 weeks on their own being responsible) is what does the damage, plus, realistically, without a decent base I'm not getting the maximum out of those 9 weeks, so it's a double whammy! That's great volume from you! Consistently done too I bet!

CC2 - my knee? My trainer was loose and I tried to shift my foot back to the right place in it as I planted, which seemed to have my knee slightly turned, bearing all my weight, as the treadmill carried on, pulling through an almost locked joint in the process (if that makes sense?).

LMH - things get boring otherwise ;) I do need to try do less though - I'm going to take a year out from study after I get my cert this year.

Jooligan - good job on the treadie!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well done jools, i was telling myself you'd be at it too.

LMH - i dont want a complete easy week though, as it'll mean a taper and recovery. I'll just have a normal week from midweek on.

TT - yes, you need to find a way to doing less and therefore stay fitter. Very consistent here, took four or five days off after Abo and have been at it since (except Christmas day).

10 today, 5 av 8.20ish, 5 av 6.45 although the wind was pushing me along. Legs were creaking a bit, so glad of the help.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT - good to see you back, but that's really tough luck on the treadmill. Seems like you're still running a bit though so you won't have lost too much. Not sure how you get any training done at all with all that going on!

Wardi - that looks perfect for Barca. I must go back there at some point, still my favourite marathon.

Jooligan - nice MLR treadie run, although the maths doesn't seem to work (knocking off 4s/mile but you increased pace by 34s/mile overall, maybe just some rounding....).

TR - nice training, both the 10M with some MP and just generally seeing those numbers since November! A slightly easier week this week might do you good.

I've been on full-on mini-Padams duty this week as Mrs P has been working roughly 6am-midnight for the last few days. So not a lot of training but, did 3M with dog and child on Tuesday, and 6.5M yesterday. Legs didn't feel good for the last few days anyway.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - an achey legged week is nicely timed with Mrs P working those hours.

Race day must be coming, i had to book my Brighton park and ride slot today, hopefully its a simple as a park and ride in the morning.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well spotted Padams. I increased the speed by 0.1kph every 12 minutes from 12.1 to 13.0 kph so there was some rounding there.
    10M home today into a stiff headwind after cycling in. Legs feeling the last 2 days graft so kept it easy. Lovely weather this morning although quite a strong crosswind/headwind. Managed to time the return journey perfectly as a shower hit just as I was done :)
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good weather judgement then Jooligan
    Nice 10m TR, you deserve some decent ROI at Brighton.
    Crikey that's a lot of hours for Mrs P Padams, hope she's on overtime rates!
    It was pithing it down here this morning so I wussed out on the treadmill for just over 4m.  After 7+12m at the weekend that's 0, 6, 5, 4 for Mon-Thurs in taper week.  Flight & rest tomorrow, Breakast run (4k) on Saturday then feet up 'til Sunday.
  • Safe journey Wardi - hope you enjoy the break and have a good race.

That's a lot of hours for Mrs P, hope the running rest freshens your legs.

Hopefully it will all be smooth TR.

This weather hasn't been enjoyable Jooligan - I hope we're back to the better stuff soon.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Wardi - no overtime unfortunately, but she is doing something she really enjoys and there are only a couple of weeks in the year that are like this (and she knows well in advance when they will be so at least I was expecting it). Unfortuantely this time it coincided with a deadline for me on Tuesday so we had to get a babysitter as we were both working until about 11pm! She popped home for half an hour this morning (6:30-7am) to say hello to us and pick the dog up.

Looks like an ideal taper, very jealous of your trip!

Jooligan - yes, sorry, my weird brain can't help spotting little things like that! Good miles in the wind.

6M yesterday lunchtime, progressive but didn't push it particularly hard. Will try to squeeze in another 5-6M at lunchtime or before nursery pick-up this evening.