newbie introduction

I'm a keen 50 year old cyclist and have just taken up running to keep my fitness up during the winter months when I can't get out much on the bike (It can be a bit brutal, not to mention dangerous, riding a bike in winter). So I did my first run last week, about 5k. I knew my cardiovascular would be fine due to my biking and that proved right. I ran it comfortably at a steady pace and did it in 26 mins. But what I wasn't prepared for was the day after when my legs wouldn't work! It took a couple of days for them to get right again. I've been out a couple of times since (doing the same 5k loop). My latest time is 23 mins and my legs no longer ache now.

I'm amazed how much i'm enjoying it. I don't have any long term goals yet, just to graduate to 10k and eventually do it in a good time.

Are there any basic tips and advice that would help me along.

Comments

• Hi esoxlucius - welcome to the world of running. Sounds as though you've already got the bug and I have to say 23 mins for a 5K is very good. I'd love to be doing that.

Difficult to offer any tips and advice without knowing if you've got any real plans as to what you want to achieve, apart from going to 10K. That could just be a case of extending your current runs to the point where you're able to do a 10K, and with your 5K time I'd suggest you might be looking at about 45 mins for it. 

The legs aching will ease off the more you run. You've probably figured that you're using slightly different muscle sets than you'd use for cycling and that's why you experienced the stiffness the day after. It's probably more important to ensure you warm up sufficiently before exerting yourself too much in terms of your running. And also stretching afterwards.

If you're looking to get faster then it's an idea to mix up your training between slow steady runs that build up the endurance part and then speed work where you run for a period at threshold. Interval training, progression training and Fartleks all help with that.

Good luck.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    My best advice is - don't smash yourself on every run, it's much harder to recover from running than it is cycling.  Little and often and probably slower than you think you can do as your legs build up.

• Yeah good points. I'm lucky really because I already have a very good level of fitness due to my biking, it's not as if i'm starting from couch potato level. I think over the winter period i'll do lots of long steady miles, get a right good base and then 2019 i'll start ramping it up. I must say though that even at this early stage i can see that my running will very much go hand in hand with my biking from now on.
  • Hi I am Sarah, 28. I love running and all exercise tbf. I am also a primary school teacher.
  • Hi, I am not sure of this is the right place to post this but I am a 46 year old female beginner and looking to find a group to run with in the Streatham area. Thanks!
  • New to these forums. I have a few questions, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a question in a new thread....
  • Hi, newbie here too. Took me ages to find out why I can't start my own thread right away :)
  • Sounds like you're doing great :)
  • 26 mins for your first 5k is amazing.
  • Hi all, I am also new here, I am the owner of leading shopfront company in London. I am very happy with my job and here to make new friends.
  • 23 minutes for a new runner to do 5k?, I dream of 23 minutes.
  • I've just started and can assure you I am nowhere near doing 5k let alone doing it in 23mins
  • Hi all, new here too! Started running back in November and have definitely got the bug!
  • Hi all, sorry to post on here but I'm looking to post a new discussion and can't find a button to do so? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!!
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi silverdrive - welcome to the forum.

You have to comment in posts 10 times before you're able to start a new discussion.
  • Hi guys and girls, im still on it.
    3 weeks in and just ran 5k in 29 minutes this morning. Loving it! Registered for a 10k trail run in August so got so got something to work towards 
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well done on the time Gazza. How much did that take off your PB?
  • Hi, I am Herry, newbie at this discussion board. I am single male marketer from Leeds and love to introduce me here.
  • Hi I'm Aretha just start to run, hope to get some hint especially on breathing techniques
  • Hi.

Was going to start a new thread but noticed you cannot do so until you have commented 10 times in other posts. I'm still a relative newbie to running (been logging my workouts for about a year now), I've always played football and in April managed the London Marathon in 4:09 (a little disappointed in the end after hitting the wall and spending over an hour doing the last four miles).

Looking to increase my mileage and build on what I have done so far. I've never done any structured training as a result my 10k time hovers around 46minutes. I'm trying to up the amount of 'easy' miles however at a fairly conversational pace my HR seems to be up around 170+. Any ideas what could be causing this, am I not as fit as I thought I was and what (other than slowing down) can be done to remedy this?

Thanks.
  • running tips for asthma patients?
  • Hello, this is my first post. I'm 46 and got into Parkrun late last year. Starting off with a 36.33 time, I have whittled that down to 24.18. I have really got the running bug although can't say I actually enjoy it while I'm doing it, but then have a craving to go again. It'll be nice to discuss aspects of running with others, hence joining.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Welcome Dave and congrats on getting your Parkrun time down by so much in a year.
  • hev34hev34 ✭✭
    Hello,

I started running in March 2019 after a friend talked me into doing the great north run, I am a complete newbie, only thing I’ve ever run for is the bus prior to this 😂, anyway I can currently run just over 6 miles, last week I started to get a pain in the top of my foot/ankle, took a few days off and then ran again, so over this weekend I’ve completely rested and when I woke up this morning the pain seemed worse, a trip to a&e and they said I’ve damaged the ligaments around the talus and to rest up for 2 weeks, now I’m scared if I rest too long that I won’t be able to do the great north run
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi hev34 - if I remember correctly the GNR is in September? If that's the case then you've got 4 months in which to train for it and most training plans will say 12 weeks is sufficient. And the good news is that you're already running over 6 miles.

The 2 weeks rest shouldn't hurt your preparations too much, however I suspect that A&E only specified rest as part of the treatment. It might be an idea to go and see a physio. They're more likely to provide additional treatment that may speed up the healing process and also advise on exercises you can do that will strengthen the area affected.

The important factor to remember is not to come back too soon and do further damage. The GNR is a great event and as it would appear to be your first then whatever time you do will be a PB. But it's not the only half marathon around and it's better to do one where you feel you've trained for it and are confident going into it. The difference between my first half marathon and my second was that I finished the first vowing never to do another one and I finished the second enthused to train harder and improve.
  • hev34hev34 ✭✭
    Thank you for the advice and encouragement, as much as it is killing me resting up, I know that this is best in the long run, I’ve got just over 12 wks before the GNR, and if I have to train for a run/walk so be it, I am determined to finish the race.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Good for you. And the encouragement you get all around the course will ensure you finish. And just because you can't run for two weeks does that mean you can't do anything else? A bit of cross training during that period might stop you going stir crazy.
  • Hi all. Complete newbie here. I don't seem to have the option to start a new thread? Can anyone help? Perhaps I'm missing something :-/