Normal pace, higher HR

Hi all,

So I've been running for about 6 months now. My long slow runs are done at around 6.40min/km and my heart rate sits around 140. I did a 16km on Monday which was the longest and hardest run I've done to date, and managed to keep my heart rate in zone 2 with ease.

Yesterday I did some light strength training on my legs, and then today I went out and did 8km with a friend. Granted it was slightly windy but my heart rate was up at 170-190 at times unless I dropped my pace right down..is this normal behaviour if I am slightly under recovered? We were talking as we were running and didn't feel tired? I didn't do my usual slow warm up also - could this also be the culprit? 

Being an inexperienced runner I don't know if this is normal or not?

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hello, as you say, your perceived effort was the same as usual for the same pace, so I doubt it's a case of under recovery or overtraining.

Do you wear a wrist based Heart Rate Monitor? If so, they can be somewhat erratic to say the least.

Maybes you're coming down with a virus? I doubt that though as you'd be experiencing more symptoms.

I wouldn't worry, you'll probably find your next run will be business as usual.

All the best.
  • Yep spot on next time I went out it was all good, and yeh my optical hr does seem pretty inconsistent. I wore a Bluetooth strap and the start of the run was 30bpm out at times...

Cheers!