Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Apart from increasingly intricate race/footy mini tours, there is no fresh running chat reg.
    It's just the names on the thread change 😘😄😁😃🌷💧
    I wonder if anyone does anything else other than running/cycling on here? I played footy last week for the first time in a while, haven't lost it ;).
  • Jooligan - No big deal as no prizes involved :) I still don’t get what happened. Did they allow last year’s runners to just turn up ? Or did they mail out last year’s numbers accidentally ?
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Never look at the rankings anymore - it's too depressing :wink:

Never had a problem measuring runs off a detailed OS map pre-Garmin, but it did mean a tendency to stick to the same routes all the time to save measuring new ones!

10k at faster end of MP lunchtime, and came out at 6:44 pace (hey if Pete can quote miles done at km pace, I can do the reverse!). All OK, though legs really couldn't have gone much faster today :smile:

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That's faster than anything I've done this week Bus. Mind is willing but the body is lagging behind.

Btw Jooligan - Definitely going to do the Summer Speedway 10kd - day after my 49th birthday.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I also swim Reg ;) Actually I went to the local cinema tonight as they were showing Free Solo. Well worth a couple of hours.
    You did just run a sub 6:00 HM on Sunday though Muddy so a recovery paced week is probably wise. Unfortunately I'm away that w/e so won't be doing it. Shame as it's a great race.
    16.3 progressive miles for me after work. Opted for the treadmill (2% incline) as it was hammering down & I didn't fancy the flooded towpath in the dark again. Started at 8:00 & upped the pace every 12 minutes. I was doing 7:26 by the final 12 mins. Added a 5 minute cool down gradually slowing the pace back to 8s. Hope the weather holds out for tomorrow's cycle in/run back commute.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good pace run there Bus.

I've upped the pace in places myself lately, mainly XC, though not sure if my knees really appreciate it.

A couple of days back I tried to get some speed going but low six pace across a football pitch was a blow up job. Went home, put some racers on and had a go on the road.

I did a few sections hoping for lowish six pace. Instead the Garmin reckoned I was doing 5:15's with the wind and 5:30's against!

So there we have it. I can race at around 33 minute 10k pace...

For about 200m!

🙂

• iower said:

...last time I needed something measured I got a girl I know...

Wondered where that was going then!  :D 

Well - I did think about it and then thought, well you know the level of folk on here, they won't have their minds in the gutter.

I must say I'm surprised. Nay pleased that it isn't the case ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pace Ric. Burning it!

Incredible United win last night means there will be another trip up midweek for the next round.
    Might need to re-assess the potential "trip", to avoid spending most of April up there :)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Yes, slight sense of deja vu here with the RunBritain discussion.  I guess no-one took notes last time.  I did a casual parkrun in November, and RB reckons my 17:22 was an achievement akin to solving climate change, and massively boosted my handicap as a result.  Just as well I didn't tell it I ran 6 miles there and 6 miles back as well, or it would currently be ranking me as the greatest runner in history.

We should try to talk about running things no-one has ever discussed before.  Like, what about running with headphones?  Or don't you hate rude runners who don't greet you/don't you hate needy runners who insist on being greeted as if doing the same activity at the same time is the foundation of a relationship?

Anyone ever spotted a celebrity whilst running?  Or a dead body?  Or a couple fornicating?  Or a celebrity fornicating with a dead body?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Biggest dirty looks given at a race? Although, Dachs you'd win that one by a mile for your Reading 2015 look at me in the "elite" section  :p:p
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I can't quite figure out whether the latter questions are also sarcastic examples of been there done that to death discussions. 

What the hell ... I ran past a pair of legs (presumably attached to a torso with a head) sticking out of a bush. It was pissing it down, so I'm going for drunken sheltering, rather than rest in peace-ing. This was round the reservoir where actual brick shelters can be found, so flat out under a bush with legs exposed was an unusual choice. A couple of walkers were approaching tentatively, so I left them to it. 

I've startled two instances of fornicating couples. On a run, I hasten to add; in broad daylight. The chap in one of those cases swore and launched some gob at me, when I happened to notice their activity, which was ludicrous on two fronts: they were in some bushes about 15 feet from me so unmissable, but out of gobbing range (*). I did take a different route back on that occasion though.

(*) I did try to find out what the world record for that is (and failed, in case anyone asks)
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    Biggest dirty looks given at a race? Although, Dachs you'd win that one by a mile for your Reading 2015 look at me in the "elite" section  :p:p

Not true, I'd already seen Samir Haddad in the elite section, so the look you would have received would have been mild by comparison.

Muddy, sorry the latter cases were not supposed to be examples of done to death discussions, so your contributions are most welcome.  I find spitting disgusting, so having your sexual partner gob at someone mid-thrust must be one of the biggest passion killers there is - certainly worse than a scrawny distance runner suddenly thrashing through the undergrowth (by which I mean the vegetation, not the pubes).

Apart from my recent squatting woman, I haven't come across much interesting.  Apart from a bloke holding a gyrfalcon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One of my 10 biggest disgraceful habits as a runner is spitting. I do love a spit.

Between the amount I sweat and spit I'm amazed I have any sort of percentage of water in my afterwards!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    You should knock back six pints of water before a race like Ric.  Then you can spit to your heart's content.  It will help to get rid of the foul taste of tuna bagel.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Never found wanting for some spit!

It can be easy to "lose yourself" on the run, spitting freely into the road just as some poor sap cyclist comes storming past with no warning.

Doh!

Worst one was on the Marlow half old course, well, I'd obviously stuffed the route, so was actually going down Rotten Row, not struggling up it, but a cyclist was unfortunate to get a "Little shower", having made zero noise when emerging and monstering past on the deserted country lanes.

I felt fairly guilty watching him feeling his hair into the distance, in a "spot of rain?" sort of way

Should have been wearing a helmet!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Incidentally, having found myself at the bottom of Rotten Row, and not fancying either 1)Hauling back up, 2)Going the "Long way round" back through Hambledon etc, I remember the "joy" of seeing a "Wycombe, 5miles" sign to my left.

Didn't feel quite so joyous, realising a mile or so in that this was a super dangerous, super fast, tight road.

One for the never again basket.

I got a text from a pal later that day, saying something along the lines of,
    "you're mad running on that road, my bloke  said look at this utter c%&$ - he can run anywhere and he's choosing this road!"

Lesson learnt.

Although I did pick a seg up near the end of it.
    Why some douche was attempting to run fast there, I do not know.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dachs said:

Yes, slight sense of deja vu here with the RunBritain discussion.  I guess no-one took notes last time.  I did a casual parkrun in November, and RB reckons my 17:22 was an achievement akin to solving climate change, and massively boosted my handicap as a result.  Just as well I didn't tell it I ran 6 miles there and 6 miles back as well, or it would currently be ranking me as the greatest runner in history.

We should try to talk about running things no-one has ever discussed before.  Like, what about running with headphones?  Or don't you hate rude runners who don't greet you/don't you hate needy runners who insist on being greeted as if doing the same activity at the same time is the foundation of a relationship?

1. Anyone ever spotted a celebrity whilst running?  2. Or a dead body? 3. Or a couple fornicating?  Or a celebrity fornicating with a dead body?

1. Steve Redgrave, Gordon Ramsey (helped himself to a drink in the last race I won)

2. One was the guy I found hanging from a tree. The other I did CPR on, but the ungrateful sod refused to live, so he counts as dead too.

3. Ignoring the lads at the Saracens Rugby club stag do, spit roasting the 'entertainment', that has to be the pair who got on with it in broad daylight on the banks of Wilstone Reservoir.

The older guys of our fishing gang went and exercised their rights to be wherever they wanted to be on public property, so had a close up look. As a sixteen year old I was confined to my spot from a distance.

More amusing was an old women who then came along with a pack of four dogs, one of which stuck it's nose up the guys arse. Put him right off his stroke did that.

Gyrfalcon (Greenland race) is on my British list. I got that one in April 1986 in a quarry at Berry Head.

🙂

• Saw Stephen Fry and David Mitchell on the same bit of Regents Park - that's about it, oh and Harry Redknapp walking his dogs over Studland Beach.

Track last night - just a standard 8x 800 of 80 secs, in the icy wind and drizzle - home straight was the worst. Mojo was low at the start with a 2.36, then mainly 2.30's with a couple of 2.29's and a 2.28 to finish. Bloody hard work that was..

Ah - Reading 2015..Can't have been on this thread then, as I did that one - 73.50. Found it really hard after that hill at 8/9 miles, really felt like stopping. Flat course my fat arse..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That's unusual Simon - you're normally top of the thread for enthuiasm and turning out.
    Although others would say I'm probably decent for both, but you don't always see yourself how others do (luckily, at times!!)

Morn sesh then. I fancied a 4x1mile progressive.
    "Relaxed" about labelling what zone/pace for each lap. Just went in thinking i'll start in and around 6min miling, and see what's what.

Did 1600s in the end, as on a track, but to add 2secs onto each time to get mile equivalents, we have

Can't pretend the lap paces were massively consistent during the session!
    2-3 second swings from fastest to slowest lap on each!
    I suppose that's where the zones come in when you're a bit more nailed down on the exacts, as you know per lap per second what you're aiming for. Like the days I got a 5x1mile 10k session off at 1.22/1.23 pace each lap!

However, general flow pretty spot on.
    Finished with a 1.22 lap on lap 4 rep 4, and a sign of how much work there will be when we dip back down to summer shorter reps, as a 1.22 would be one of the slower reps allowed :o 

Mind was wandering on one rep, and found I "Bounced" one lap, but another I was more "flat" footed. Wonder what the actual best technique is. Normally don't give it a second's thought!
  • ioweriower ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    No celebs, dead bodies or fornication spotted for me! 

Tasty 800s Simon and miles SG. Similar thing for me last night - 7 mile easy/steady to begin with (and make up for slacking off Wednesday) then a club session of mile loops. Aimed for 10k effort or thereabouts and ended up with 4 @ 5:47, 53, 50, 52. Mile cool down. Pretty windy out and the loop has a big hill/drag halfway, with a sharper downhill towards the end which made pacing a bit tricky but just went with feel. 

RE lap pacing on the track I am scarily metronomic sometimes - 8x800s once with all laps within a second of each other! 
  • I've crossed paths with Mo Farah a few times when running in Bushy Park. It's always really annoying when we're running in the same direction and I get stuck behind him. Also gave James Cracknell a pat on the bum when I passed him London 2017. Bet he loved that.

Image may contain 1 person smiling

Been a bit of a weird week, harbouring some sort of sickness which hasn't stopped me exercising but run sessions have been off the cards. Done quite a few miles and also a couple of hard bike sessions. Got a fairly big weekend planned, including around 24 miles on Sunday including pacing the Surrey Half (1:30) - I'll be the w*nker with the flag.

Decent sessions Simon & SG - nice work. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

I spoke to George Lamb briefly early on at London last year as I overtook him. Also convinced I saw Laura Muir running round Hyde Park once, couldn't guarantee it was her though!

Some impressive training and races going on. Enjoyed the mile reports SG/Pete

Back in the swing of it now, 6 x 1m off 60s on Tuesday. Overcooked the 4th rep with a 6.01 and had to cling on with 6.10/6.11 for the last two. 8m tempo on the menu for this afternoon.

Iower - Your 10k effort is around 10s a mile quicker then mine and I ran 2.55 at Abingdon last year. Sub 3 should be a breeze!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey Joe, you're a sculpted build!
    Proper aff-leet material. Versus my skinny pallid, "no definition whatsoever" (ex gf quote from about a decade back) build.
    Still, I guess it takes all sorts!

Is Cracknell checking splits on his wrist? Or just looking at anything and everything to avoid the clown in front :D:dizzy:

Tidy reps there Iower. Our fast guys have sessions, but in truth I try and avoid them largely, as I prefer to train not strain, and some of their sessions massively invite the latter!  They love repeatedly drilling short reps round a coachpark, that through pure ego you'll be putting in ludicrous paces, and come away monstered.

Nice sesh StevieW. I remember your coach gives you some really mad sessions. That one would look an acceptable challenge at threshold, but is that inching more towards 10k? Off 1min that is demanding!!

Saw Mo Farah before the Bupa 10k one year. Short, and so slender it was mad.
    Hayley Yelling is local to me too, and a while back she was out, and ahead of me. Thought I best not try and overtake, or we'd have a repeat of the time years back, that I emerged onto a road, saw some fast guy zooming along, inexplicably decided that I'd keep ahead of him, and about a mile in was approaching utter discombobulation, so to save face ducked in behind a hedge and ...well, just lay down to be honest, ruined :D 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    That's 10k effort SG, i did do the first two reps at HMP then worked down from there. Reps were 6.19/6.21/6.12/6.03/6.07/6.11 not too bad on the road and with the wind.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly not a session I'd even dare trying.
    Would deffo need a track to hit 10k paced miles
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    One word from me Joe.

Yuk!

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Some wretch retching behind Jo Pavey and commentators on TV at GSR.....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Oh, and talking of Hayley Yelling...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That GSR day was probbo one of my all time top racing experiences all in. Such a quality event. Even with the underwhelming one last year it was still good to be part of it.

Doing well to be close to HY there!
    (For any non locals - HY being international level, just missing the Olympics one year was it? )
    Was it either early doors? Or post her retirement? Or were you just in beast mode?