Sub 3

Comments

• Haven't been on for a few weeks as life has well and truly got in the way.

Not read through all the posts since, but great racing at the Essex 20 Al (couple of my club mates snuck under two hours); nice HM Padams and good bonus miles Charlie - frustrating you couldn't do the half as planned but more miles in the bank as a result.

I'm trying to stay in one piece (a tight calf and what feels like a bruised foot have joined the hamstrings in the treatment room) and logging the miles I can without breaking. That's equated to 50mpw for the last month or so which is nothing on most of you here, but should be enough for me. Got the Brentwood Half on Sunday week then I'll start wrapping myself in cotton wool I reckon.

Have mainly been pleased to just get out there and run as the family emergency I alluded to the other week resulted in my Dad passing away on Monday afternoon. He never recovered from a major stroke in autumn 2014 and while we've had time to come to terms with things as a result of that, it's still a raw and difficult one and am majorly thankful I have running to keep me sane. Don't really care about my time at Brighton, just want to do it for him now.    
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

TR - totally. Will be looking at moderate efforts during base, plus gym/PT/HIIT classes, and a weekly rest day. Where does the 6:45s sit for you relative to MP at the moment?

Padams - sounds hectic for Mrs P. Year-end stuff in both your cases I presume? I'm glad to not have that on top of the rest of it. It might finish me off!

EE - sorry to hear about your Dad!

I was a bit achy yesterday (I was warned my knee would be stiff for a bit) so ran shorter and slower than initially intended. I'd love to wake up tomorrow with a good chunk of the excess timber gone (heaviest I've been in years) but it looks like I'll just have to be patient on that front :/

• anybody aside from Wardi racing this weekend? (no bad luck wardi)

had some time to kill last night whilst younger lad was football training, knocked out 7miles @ 6.38. Prob 7-7.5 effort, based on MP being 6 in my opinion. 
    Pleased with it, and will do an easy run today, and tomorrow going to do 90mins or so tomorrow at about 7 effort. 

I'm in pen B for manc, SJ Ive seen you are A - along with most of my clubmates - any idea if I can get across / will see any congestion from B? (Im sure I put 2.59 so there must be a hell of a field or something amiss)
    Don't mean to sound an arse but as I don't race very much and used to be semi alright, I haven't started so far back and don't want to mess it up
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Take care, EE.

Wardi -- good luck!

LMH -- the Cambridge Boundary Run has full and half marathon options, so I'll do the whole loop.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    EE - sorry to hear that, sad times. I like your idea of running Brighton for your dad.
    Padams- is your wife involved with lambing? Or similar?

TT - yes that sort of regime would be good, i was very run fit off lower running and hard turbo. No idea of MP, i collect no data. I did 1.24.11 at a windy worthing 1/2 last month, so should be sub 3 fit.

WTG - pen 2 should be fine, its fine at vlm gfa.

5m easy today, planning to do my last long lsr tomorrow.
  • Sorry for your loss EE. I'm sure you'll do him proud at Brighton.

Nice run to look forward to then Charlie - as long as your weather is better than ours is forecast to be!

Lambing Padams?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Alright muppets, I'm 2 weeks into a 9 week training schedule as running London for my mate who died of bowel cancer in February... low carb anyone? lol
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - is there more bad weather again this weekend, could be a grim long run tomorrow.

Pug - i wondered where you were lately. Nice touch on running  for your mate.

My fleet number came today, last warm up fixture before the b of the bang.
  • This place is relentless... Top stuff all.. as always.

EE - sorry for your loss. You'll do your dad proud no danger at Brighton.

TR /Jools - I needed both of you in my head space for this weeks mlr. Blimey that was hard work. I've been lucky with the weather but copped a soaking during that run. One for the gritted-it-out category.

TR - I'm only entered for a 10k as warm-up. Didn't want to risk the 20 miler I was eyeing up. Left at least two A performances on 20 mile race courses to know they can be trouble.

Speaking of relenting, I am having a rest day for the first time in a while today. Work has been bad this week and I'm shattered.

Speaking of busy, I'm not as busy as Padams and Mrs P. Well done on managing this busy schedule currently.

TT - hope the knee heals quickly, sounded nasty.

Best of luck Wardi over in Barca, will assuming there is a tracker? Biwa marathon too over I Japan which I will also try and follow.

Pugmeister - god on ya' for running in your pals memory. Hope the training is suitably bonkers as usual?

Wtgy - I got no clue what pen I'm in, how do you know? This must be new this year as in previous years you can rock up where you wanted. They have expected finish time signs but never seen pens.

Keep on keeping on folks.

• Ee sorry for the unfortunate cross post - sorry to hear that. I’m expecting to be a mess at Manc finish line and have people briefed to look out for me, I’m emo enough usually let alone with with other stuff. Take care of yourself 
    SJ they stuck a post on Facebook with a link to pens 

• Cold, wet, windy (gusting 40mph+) with some sleet and hail TR - a joy to run in, not. My LSR may get postponed, sometimes it's just not worth it. I'm pleased I didn't get an entry for the HM on Sunday now.

Hope you feel better for the rest day sj.

Carrying some extra timber Pug?

Where is Crab this year?
  • Sorry to hear about your dad EE. It's never easy, even when it's expected. 

I have the Chester 10k tomorrow. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, given the forecast. But on balance I'd rather race for 6 miles than plod out 20+ in that weather. It will be over with a whole lot quicker! Still got the dregs of a cold I came down with earlier in the week so it will be a disgusting snot fest. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ  - glad to be of service, you and jools have got me round a few mlrs.

LMH - never saw any rain, but found plenty of wind today. I suppose with 7 weeks til vlm crab will be staeting training soon.

23 in 3.01.38. So 1m 38s in the death zone. Copped an absolute wind battering it was a relief to stop. Will be a tough day if its that windy at Brighton, wind is not a factor with vlm.

86 for the week, and that makes 15 weeks av 75mpw. Easier week pre Fleet and then post fleet, then its taper time.

Off to put a few in the fridge for later.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Solid as ever TR.
    Tough times EE. Hope your body holds together long enough to get round Brighton & do him proud.
    Good luck in the 10K CC2, boundary run CW & in your marathon Wardi.
    Hope the day off did the trick SJ. Reckon I need 24hrs sleep myself.
    Funny old day for me. Did parkrun & got by far my slowest time on the course yet. Even allowing for the wind I had a shocker :/ With wu & cd shepherding my mate in I'd done 5.3M. By now the rain had stopped & the sun was out which was a relief. Drove up to the canal for a 2:30 out & back run. I set off quite despondent after pr so kept pace slow but as I went along I felt OK so figured I'd try & make it progressive: 5M@8:30, 5M@8:12, 5M@7:50, 3M@7:32 & then a K easy to make it 30K. Worked out well as I'd run out for 9.1M in 76 minutes before turning & only overtook her about 700m from the car in spite of the progression. Very happy with that on a blowy day after parkrun. 24M NAD all in :) 
  • Nice mileage Jooligan.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - thats a good days work. Parkrun time doesnt matter its the effort that counts. You beat my 23m too. I was going to do 24m but decided todays run was too tough in the wind to spend another mile in the death zone. Hopefully i havnt set myself back with the tough 23.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a fine days work in mixed weather Jooligan, ditto your 23m TR.  Certainly sounds rough back home.  I've got a clubmate running the big half in London  tomorrow and it looks very windy indeed.
    Best of luck in your 10k CC2. 
    All carbed up now so ready for the b of the bang tomorrow.  Hope to be enjoying a beer or two under blue skies by lunchtime.

• Awesome days work today TR and Jooligan. Very envious of you getting your long runs banked today. Looking for a decent window weather-wise in the morning.

CC2 - go well in your 10k. Hope you are over the worst of your cold.

Wardi - enjoy the fruits of all your labour tomorrow. Go well.
  • Have a great one Wardi and enjoy the beers.

Hope you have a good race CC2.

Woke to the sound of heavy rain in the small hours and wasn't expecting to get up and find it snowing. High winds forecast too so the prospect of this morning's run is not filling me with joy. Things aren't looking much better tomorrow either so I'm not sure where the miles are going to happen this week and I really wanted another big week before easing off a little before Ashby. First world problems eh?

Hope you have better conditions sj.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed, i hope wardi is having a good day, he certainly put the miles ii for it.

LMH - snows sounds a bit grim. Hope it soon melts so you are back to it quickly, youve had a big few weeks though, and did 22 on a few days ago so you wont miss much.

Its ridiculously windy here today, i was only planning a a minimal recovery run today after ydays 23, and was pleased i wasnt going further. Its starting to dawn on me that i could cop a proper windy coastal day in 5 weeks.
  • Twas rough out there this morning and got worse as I went on. I stuck it out for 20 but I'm not sure whether that was really the right thing to do if I'm honest. I usually get faster as I go but not today though to be fair the wind picked up quite a bit for the last quarter.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hard day at the office for me, not sure why but the pace from my last marathon never felt like shelling peas today.  Had to grind out the last 10m or so for a modest 3.40.  Still, another GFA in the bag and that was marathon no.30 ticked off for me.
    Quite warm in the last hour of the race, though delightful beerio under a blue sky weather, heading to the bar shortly.
    Sorry to hear about the wild weather, I knew we would end up 'paying,' for our premature spring :(
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Modest time it may be but GFA & a decent WAVA I dare say so not too shabby Wardi. Enjoy those beers in warm sunshine. 
    Well done on the 20 LMH.
    Beautifully sunny but very blowy out West this morning. Got out for a trot round my local (hilly trail) HM with a clubmate. Planned to do low 8s but legs felt ridiculously good after the first warm-up mile (8:38) so we pushed on. 6.5M was reached after exactly 52 minutes with most of the climbing done so unsurprisingly ended with a decent 3 minute negative split. I kept expecting a crash after yesterday's LR but I was running strong throughout. Even managed to maintain the effort when my mate told me to push on at 11M as his legs were gone. I slowed momentarily up a short sharp climb and let him come back to me thinking he'd be good to go from the top but when I pushed on he couldn't follow. Really pleased with the pace v effort balance and leg strength especially after a big day yesterday B)
  • I think you did enough to earn your beers and feet up for a bit Wardi!

Lovely to have an unexpectedly good run like that Jooligan.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Blimey, ive been slacking today then!

Wardi - shame you had a tough day, but its difficult to have great days on marathon day. Keeps your GFA going too. Enjoy the beer.

LMH - well done, no training missed at all.

Jools - i didnt expect you to post that up after yday. You must be nice and strong. Looking good for Brighton.
  • Well toughed out LMH. Definitely one for the toughed-it-out category.

Jooligan - your run today sounded much nicer. Top stuff.

Wardi - congrats on the gfa and we'll done today despite not feeling your best. Enjoy those well earned beers! Was the course changes an improvement? I read the organisers attempted to make it a little faster.

TR - top marks for doing your run yesterday - wish I had.

Appalling conditions this side of the Pennines too. Started out at 9am in driving wind and rain. Chose to run my 5 mile road loop as the tow path would have been a bog-fest.

First lap down and I was soaked to the skin. Second lap the snow took over and froze everything that was wet. The 2.5 mile stretch into a westerly wind was horrid. By the third lap I was seriously going to pull the pin as I was the most miserable I have felt whilst running in a long time. Had to take my sodden gloves off at this point as they were so wet they were hurting my hands.

Stuck at it, the final lap was mercifully run in sunnier conditions. 20 and a bit miles in just over 2:30. My man bits are a mess from the wet, wind, chaffing. Legs feel good tho despite all that so the 20's are feeling fine now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done SJ, sounds a miserable run. Hope you get proper pay back for thatat Manchester. Getting soaked early is bad news.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    EE - Really sorry to hear of your dad.  I ran the 2007 for my Mum with a spray of her favourite perfume on my running vest, really helped. 
    Al-P - Fantastic performance and shows the value of running to the finish line. My trail route was one I suspect you know, Wadebridge to Bodmin/ Camel Trail.
    Padam - Belated congratulations on the half marathon performance, always so impressed with your performances with relatively low mileage and a full on family life.
    CW - Impressed by your resolve in running the race though it had already started when you left home. Must have been an unusual running experience.  
    SJ - Well done on toughing out that 20+ miles, look after the jewels now. 
    Wardi - Not far off what you wanted and a GFA is a GFA and the Barcelona marathon is special, so those beers are well deserved I'd say. 
    Jooligan - Sounds an interesting 11m to back-up yesterdays 24m, cracking weekend's running. 
    LMH - Snow again! You did well to stay out there and get that 20m d&d. Well done though would expect nothing less from you. 
    WTGY - You asked for advice - I reckon lots of slow miles for the next 2 weeks or so, and then also add a few speedier segments into the last 2 weeks ready for Manchester.
    TR - Well done on the 23m, a fantastic looking cake is being baked. 
    TT - Good to see you posting again, seems life is still full-on. 
    22.5m for me in the sunshine, ran in just a race teeshirt as warm enough but very gusty.  Same protected scenic route as last week, with lots of runners out there most wearing far too many clothes. 80m for the week, only the 4th time in the last 4 years I've hit that.   
  • You were faster than me today sj - well done for toughing it out.

Sounds nice in the sunny south then OuchOuch. I'm beginning to think I may have to accept slightly lower miles soon/in the future and hope that I can get the same results from it but with not doing any quality work I'm not sure that's the case.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    OO - excellent long run and weeks total. Just a T shirt !

Looks like i can get my mlr in tomorrow after sll, but then im short of time Tues and Weds, so I'll start the easing back for Fleet 1/2 then. Hope its not as windy for fleet as it was today, be good to have a still day as worthing was windy too.