Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    > @Dom Norrish said:

> Hmmm... That left turn off Rue de Rivoli is going go get slooow

Too many bodies? Bottleneck? Bouchon?
  • It's at the bottom of the first (downhill) kilometer and is a sharp left turn from a wide boulevard onto a much narrower street. There's a similar pinch-point coming out of Bastille that sometimes snarls up too.

Will be interesting to see what they've chopped from the course to accommodate this excursion to Opera.
  • I want one of those medals! Well done Dom!
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    It will be an interesting change, that's for sure - its a shame that you can't zoom in on the image.

I've just logged in to my timeto account, and my bib number is different to what I saw before?? I'm actually 59889
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It's an interesting change to the course. Hopefully it isn't a bottleneck, as the wide roads in the first few miles were always a plus point to the course.
    Looking at that map I can only guess it's a section of the final park that's been altered.
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    > @StephA said:
    > It will be an interesting change, that's for sure - its a shame that you can't zoom in on the image.
    >
    > I've just logged in to my timeto account, and my bib number is different to what I saw before?? I'm actually 59889

Mine too Steph. Mine is now 52146.
  • Eggyh73 said:
    It's an interesting change to the course. Hopefully it isn't a bottleneck, as the wide roads in the first few miles were always a plus point to the course.
    Looking at that map I can only guess it's a section of the final park that's been altered.
    Less Bois de Boulogne can only be a good thing!
  • From that map, it looks like the route doesn't go as far into Bois de Vincennes (the east park).
  • Hang on, I'm talking a lot of nonsense. It's the other end that's been cut.
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Good spot, looks like it doesn't go down Av. De St-Cloud, just goes straight across and then up Allee De La Reine Marguerite
  • Webby4216 said:
    Good spot, looks like it doesn't go down Av. De St-Cloud, just goes straight across and then up Allee De La Reine Marguerite
    Possibly cutting out that very unwelcome cobbled section of BdB? 
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    I've only run over cobbles a few times and not that fond of them. Epecially at the latter end of a marathon! 
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd hurry up and put it on the marathon webpage as a PDF so we can zoom in!
  • How is everyones training going? Mine is a little steep as I was injured and could not run between weeks 11 and 7 (to M day)! Since have managed (long runs) of 8, 12, 15 last week and planning 18 tomorrow, but the legs are creaking!
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    A better image of the new route. > @StephA said:
    > I wish they'd hurry up and put it on the marathon webpage as a PDF so we can zoom in!

It is downloadable now as a pdf.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/StephenLT">StephenLT</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">How is everyones training going? Mine is a little steep as I was injured and could not run between weeks 11 and 7 (to M day)! Since have managed (long runs) of 8, 12, 15 last week and planning 18 tomorrow, but the legs are creaking!</div>
    </blockquote>
    Ahh good luck! Could you cross train for those weeks or was it strict rest? I had to have two weeks off injured and am just back - gone up to 15 miles in training at the moment but then had to restart at 13. Leg is easily tired at the moment so a bit worrying - feel like we’re in a similar boat! 

Having the perennial issue of my docs refusing to sign the medical certificate. Don’t suppose anyone knows of anyone in London who’s amenable to signing/stamping? Annoying thing is that I had an ECG a few years ago so my docs have pretty much all the medical info anyone could have, they just ‘don’t do forms’ anymore...
  • RammpantsRammpants ✭✭✭
    Interesting to read about course changes. Would be good to be cobble-free...

Meanwhile, I'm doing the Hillingdon 20 race tomorrow. Anyone else?

Finally good wishes to anyone suffering injury - hopefully long enough to get back on track!

LR
  • Hi Racheltoon, 
    yes sounds like we are in a similar position! I did whilst injured do regular swimming, yoga, stretching, bike work / gym to maintain a minimum, but over 4 weeks I lost some strength for the long runs.
    i will be leaving shortly for my long run and if this goes ok, I should be fine to finish, but I doubt there will be a Pb for me this time, but a finish will be just fantastic after everything. 

I am also finding the rehab after the long run and preparing for the following week is extensive as clearly I am not quite ready!! Anyway my eyes are firmly fixed on that finish line and my medal! :-)

I need to sort out my medical form, thanks for reminding me. Shiort of forgery and paying to go private , I can’t help you with any ideas with the form!

Good luck to everyone with their long runs or races this weekend! 
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Rachaeltoon/StephenLT - good to hear you are back after injury and long runs progressing well. Hope the rest of training is injury and stress free!

I've been fairly luck with injury so far, just had a week off for a chest cold a month ago, other than that has been ok.

Got a cut back week this week which I'm enjoying! Then last three big weeks before the wonderful taper kicks in.

I've been lucky with my medical form, friend of mine is a GP so got her to sign it for me.

Looking forward to the big day!
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Training is going well. This will be my first marathon. I am following a 4 hour programme. Did my first ever 33k last Monday (3h 23m). Did a 10k in 50 mins on Weds. My programme tells me to try and do a half marathon in 1h 50m on Monday. Little niggles here and there but still going well. 
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Half-marathon done: I hour 49 mins and 59 seconds!
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Phronesis, that's a great time. Sounds like you are well on target for your sub 4 finish
  • phronesisphronesis ✭✭✭
    Thanks Webby. Appreciate your support. We’ll see in the 14 April! 
  • get_downget_down ✭✭✭
    StephenLT, I feel your pain! But you know what's needed to finish a marathon, and you've probably  done it before? So you'll enjoy the day rather than beating yourself up for not getting the perfect time.

For those struggling to get their certificate signed, I'll just point out that no one is going to phone up your signatory to verify the signature. Up to you what you do with that information. 

With brilliant timing I've just received an email with ASO's proposed training programme. http://www.timeto.com/Assets/TimeTo/plans/Plan_Marathon_4h00_UK.pdf. For me it suggests a total of ten weeks, with no long run lasting longer than 2h15. I wish I'd known that training was going to be so easy!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Hi gang - can someone tell me where I can see what pen I was allocated, please? I've signed in to the Active website but can't see it. Also, for the medical certificate, you need a race number but that hasn't been allocated yet has it? If it has, where do I get it?
    Thanks in advance!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Ahh found the pen I stated during registration and I'm in tears of laughter :) It seems I'm in purple (3:45) - I'll be lucky to do a 4:30. Should I tell them?
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Khanivore, in the past you could certainly ask to change your start pen when you picked up your Bib at the Expo, but if it's a warm day as it has been the last two times I've run Paris, it's not bad to have an earlier start. You can always go to the back of your start pen so you don't have people pushing past you. Just make sure you're not tempted to go off too fast!

I've added you to the list, hope I've got everyone. My Bib number has changed for a second time, so I expect some of the other numbers here will have changed too:

Red pen (Speed of light):

tbc – OuchOuch

Yellow pen (3:15):

tbc – Miles87

11586 - baldstan

Blue pen (3:30):

tbc – RFoster

tbc – RFoster +1

18237 – Webby4216

32038 - Rammpants

Violet pen (3:45):

29096 – Carol4

30406 – StephenLT

37337 - rachaeltoon

tbc - Khanivore

Green pen (4:00):

52146 - phronesis

Grey pen (4:15):

59889 – StephA

60566 – Suzanne Taylor 2

Pink pen (4:30 plus):

70663 – K83nd0n

75031 - Andy

Congratulations Dom on Tokyo. That's one for my bucket list!

Hope Hillingdon went well Rammpants? And how did you do in the Big Half k83lond0n? I was nearly blown off my feet on Tower Bridge. Don't know how those people in the Rhino costumes made it across.

Got my Medical Certificate signed today and uploaded, so I'm in Pending. My GP used it as an opportunity to do a general health check so he spotted my bad cholesterol is very high, so have to do another blood test to check it's not a one off. Probably a good thing to have spotted it, but not what I was expecting.

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Also curious to know what shoes people plan to run in? I usually use Saucony Kinvaras, but each update seems to have become less comfortable for me. My current pair is wearing out so thinking of getting a replacement soon so I can run them in before Paris.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor">@baldstan My bib number seems to habe changed aswell to 70609.

Big Half went well thanks - PB of ober 3 mins and over 7 mins off last year's time with 2.12.55 this year despite the wind!! I found Canary Wharf worse than Tower Bridge - have you seen the video of the guy in the Big Ben costume trying to run? He was struggling somewhat in the wind 🤣.  I hope you had a good race!</div><div class="QuoteText">

</div>
    </blockquote>
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    i Was going to run in saucony mirage v’s but I’ve just noticed they have too many miles. No one seems to stock them anymore 😢

my race number is 33683 btw