Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Runnymede relays up on PO10 now. All it took was a certain handsome legend with a bit too much free time spending 2-3 hours formatting their dreadful effort. But it's up.

As is my high profile Winchcombe 4.6mile first ever win. Lovely.

205/41 - 4 more possible - 2 depending on Silverstone Half 2003&2004 emerging from the abyss of the web, 1 being whether they allow the scandalously flimsy Henley 5.2miler from 09 (Mee Meep tells me it's actually 4.8miles!), and one the Sandhurst XC result from November - the most frustrating one, as the whole league result has been declared, yet one rep is saying they aren't "finalised" and she's still "chasing up queries"

Smashed a few through for Bus while i was at it ;)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    2009, so she had recently retired. It was the Frieth Hilly 10k though, so I suspect she was just having an easy trot round :smile:

NIce to see Po10 over 200 now :smiley: Cheers SG...
  • 58.58 Bus? Generally had a hate/Hate relationship with that race tbh. Done about 5 of them.

Oh I forgot to say I spoke to Ronnie O'Sullivan after a Dunstable 10k once, nice guy.

Good reps SW - 60 secs is a bit sparse for a recovery though, just wonder if 90 secs would be better. It's tough to judge it as too short a recovery means the quality goes down. It was tough enough doing the 800's last night with 80 secs!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah mile reps at 10k pace off 1min is really asking a lot! EspecIally doing 6! And on road! Bound to take a hit on pace in that circumstance.

I was at peak ever form when i got 5 off dead right and i presume off 90sec. And on a track!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I find 60s is just about enough, did 7 on the track once. 6.19,6.14,6.10,6.06,6.06,6.00,5.57. That was in peak pre Abingdon fitness though, don't feel like I'm quite back there yet. Wouldn't be far off though! I guess the short recoveries are for the endurance part of marathon training?
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

De-lurking to make a few comments:

1) SG - go for the beano weekend! 3/4 races and 2 footy matches sounds like an opportunity not to be missed!

2) Celebs spotted whilst running - only a very minor celeb in the shape of Christine Walkden off the One Show. I was supposed to be doing a race about 5 or 6 years ago but dropped out through injury - when looking at the results I saw that Ronnie O'Sullivan had taken part, and wouldn't have been too far away from me pace wise if I had done the race.

3) Training is going ok - my 'tempo' pace (by which, without going into the debate about what tempo zone I mean, probably should really be called LT pace) has come down by about 7-10 seconds per mile since last autumn's training block, so I'm hoping for a similar return on 10k race pace in 5 weeks time.

4) Just had to go for a blood test in my lunch break. Raises two questions - 1) will giving 2 vials worth of blood affect my intervals session tonight at all (answer: probably not, you big wuss) and 2) as about half of the 45 people ahead of me in the queue looked to be in their 80s at least, why do people like that choose to go in the lunch time rush when, presumably, they have all day to go?! (A bit like, why do the same demographic choose to go to Tesco (other supermarkets are available) on a Saturday morning and get in the way of the rest of us when, presumably, they could go at any other quieter time of the week?).

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Habit probably Andrew! And no, the blood test amount won't affect your intervals (though if it does, at least you have an excuse :smile: )

58:44 Simon - took me some time to move again after crossing the line after the last mile was spent into one of those Southsea fierce headwinds :smile: I blame fighting that wind for the retching - obviously not something I usually do after a race :wink:

The year I first did the Marlow 5 there was a fairly big celebrity of the time used to do it - a TV presenter and ex of Prince Andrew I think - can't remember her name though!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    SW, in fairness, that's a huge range on those splits!  22second range!?

What did your actual 10k pace come out as the next time you raced? 
    Either too many of those came in a fair chunk slower, or you found that your 10k was a lot quicker than you'd realised. Gunning the last one 5.57 shows the rest weren't exactly on the edge :)

ps two of you chaps used the word "beano" now!  I knew it as the comic name, but had never actually seen it used in what I expect is the actual meaning ;)

AD - good news on the pace increasing.
    I have no idea what a vial is blood wise, but can only imagine it's a small amount if you're asking? As generally, I've seen people's performance drop off when they've given blood.

An occasional poster Crispy lost to me a couple of times using that excuse ;):D 

He's moved to Amsterdam now I found out recently!!

Bus - behave! Ulrika Jonsson? How could you forget her name!  She'd stand there on the start line with her "celebrity trainer! for the photos, then get rinsed by about 600 people before the gate 400metres in  :o:s

4miles pootled at lunch, 43 so far this week, a big SAT OFF tomorrow, before whatever the long is on Sunday. (Arsenal v Man Utd in the afternoon to go to)

Bought some extra days holz, so have 30 to splunder around on random tours April on ;)

Jools - if you're around - have you ever done the Cardiff 5k? Saw a fb post mention it last night, High standard apparently, random Sunday evening in May job.

Premier Inn have opened a new "on the cheap" brand called Zip, rolling out the first one in Cardiff. Dare say I'll give that a whirl the next time I do a Welsh one, be it the Murder Mile, one of the Rose Inns, or even this one 
    £19!!!
  • I never get the urge to gob when running Stevie. One of TEN biggest bad habits !? That must be some catalogue.

I didn't realise athletes/runners counted as celebrities :) as we are bound to encounter them quite frequently (and my mum would never have heard of them, unlike real celebrities). Paula Radcliffe seems to like a trot out when she's in Birmingham for the athletics coverage. She really zooms along still, despite being retired. Denise Lewis parked up next to me at some services. I didn't follow her into Costa on purpose.

Good sessions in the current poor weather from everyone. I felt a bit rundown yesterday - probably fighting a bug as my body had the limiters on earlier in the week. I could've pushed myself out there, but thought a rest made more sense. Back to it today with a progressive effort lunchtime 10k, to be followed up by an easy 5 mile or so tonight. Then a lot of miles at the weekend, whenever and however I can get them in. I'm still struggling for a block of time to get a whole long run in, and having to do things like a 6+4 Saturday followed by an 8+12 Sunday.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I guess Mo counts as a celebrity MF. Paula too probably.

That's it SG - Ulrikakaka!!!

Cheap skate - try a  tent!

Delayed my lunch run until this evening. It was sunny then. It's peeing down with rain now :cry: 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    That would be a good topic, what are the top 10 biggest bad running habits? I confess to being quite a gobber when out running, especially when I have a cold (too much info probably). Generally only when off-road and when there aren't people around to witness, so I am quite considerate, really!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just threw the top 10 in to see who clocked it Muds - well spotted ;)

Bus - for endure, you can hire expensive, near on little chalet type jobs, but they're super expensive, even split between 3/4 of you.

Not sure what we'll do, all bundle into our "gazebo", all get little tents and put them up ourselves? (i'd be strugglin), or sleep in the car (!) Will worry about that in June!

AD - 
    Snotting, spitting (any situation), destroying bushes, smearing with deep heat. That's 4 gorgeous ones that happen quite often.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SG - 10k pb pace set a few weeks after that session is 6.05, so the last 5 were about right just undercooked the first two!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    When I did my untrained London marathon in 2005, I was happily walking the last few miles until Gordon Ramsay came past. After that I went to a very dark place to start running again, I didn't have the resources to spit on him as I went back past.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    My only advice for Endure would be to take some wet wipes and decent toilet roll. I must have spent more time on the toilet than I did running.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    3rd one too ;)  Strong finish though.

On another note, while I'm in a bit of a wanderlust mode (always easier to plot races then actually do them obvs!), I had another look at that Norwich Lord Mayor's 5k

https://conac.org.uk/lord-mayor-5k/

Intriguing write up. From the being hauled out if you don't hit 10mins for half way, or 12mins for 3k. These sound chimpy limits, but they bill it as one of the "most challenging" courses in the country.

Apparently, in excess of "50,000" people line the course. :o

It's a 2 lapper, so 50,000+ are apparently watching over a mere 1.5(ish) mile route.

1.5miles is around 2413 metres, call it 2500 for giggles to allow the "Ish"

So 50,000 people are standing over 2500metres, meaning 20 people are crammed in per metre.

To watch the Mayor of Norwich cruise past (plus the race)

I'm ever so struggling to see it.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Reg Wand said:
    My only advice for Endure would be to take some wet wipes and decent toilet roll. I must have spent more time on the toilet than I did running.

That's a good tip, as you were basically in a 4 person team in the end, so did a tonneload of running!! I can imagine the ugly mix of not much sleep, coffees/random stall food and a lot of running knackered.

Is it worth going on the Friday for the "experience" the night before/get the best pitch, type scenario?!
    Presume there's some sort of shower scenario there, rather than festering in sweat for the day?

I can imagine now that it'd be worth taking about 5 pairs of trainers, and doubling that for sets of clothes.
    Our lot still speak of the year that was basically a mudfest monsoon!!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    SG That'd be the SSAFA 5K series May/June/July in Cardiff. Flat fast course with a decent field apparently. http://ssafa5kcardiff.org/index.php/race-1-results/2018-results/ Not done it but hoping to get to one this summer as the Hereford series is no more.
    Been on the start line of 2 races with Chrissie Wellington: Big Cheese (15M fell race round Cheddar Gorge) & Man v Horse. She trounced me both times. Beaten Ewan Thomas twice though - Man v Horse again.
    Easy 5M post work shakeout before tomorrow's parkrun.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Don't forget running topless in an urban area to that top 10  :wink:

Ieuan Thomas was in front of me oat the start of that GSR the photo is of Jools - for about 400m funnily enough :smile:  
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    This one's a bit like, 'I danced with a girl, who danced with a man, who danced with a girl who danced with the Prince of Wales.

I married a women who chatted to the Princess of Wales.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Are we allowed to guess which one Ric :wink:

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The one with the camera on the left obvs 😇

Ps yep bus. Running round feeling like i have Joe's physique. But actually looking more like that creature in pan's labyrinth

53m for the week so far. Said 43 earlier. Obvs forgot which day we were up to!

Jools do love a series. Although sometimes it's better to have a one off chance as it forces your hand.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol! Actually we know whihc one, as Ric has posted other photos - still think you are punching above your weight there Ric :smile:

Talking of Man V Horse Jools reminded me that Huw Lobb was the first runner to beat the Horse in the same year he dropped in to little ol' High Wycombe to win the Half Marathon here (2004). He picked up 25 grand for beating the horse but wasn't even given free entry to the Wycombe Half :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The Bus said:
    Are we allowed to guess which one Ric :wink:

Dark jacket and red shirt.

🙂

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SG - Endure does sound like a good laugh, may see of anyone from the club fancies it next year.

8m tempo done at 6.30 average, felt slightly easier then last week and HR confirms that. Nicely grouped splits with only 8s between fastest and slowest which isn't bad on a 0.8m loop. Wet and Windy but it could be like that on race day!

Talking of races I've entered a couple of 10ks. Birmingham 10k which marked my return to running back in 2017 and the Two Castles Run which was my first ever race! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one SW.

The Castles one sounds some good sightseeing. Is it castle to castle, or do you get a lift when they pop up randomly mid route?

• ioweriower ✭✭✭
    Ah tell a lie, you’ve jogged my memory - I beat Iwan Thomas at Stubbington a few years ago!
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    It's Castle to Castle SG. You get a lift back to the start if needed when you've finished! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iower, that doesn't match me meeting him in the toilets at GSR once :D

Bus and me also met Sally Gunnell, and I still curse the woman who took a dreadful blurry pic of such an epic meet.

Like some girl at work said, it could be a "pic of you with your mum and dad"

(no offence Bus) ;)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

SW - I can imagine the second castle looms like Reading FC's ground does in the half marathon...

entries incidentally still available for that one next weekend til Wed...£50 though! And probs £12 to park..