P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Quick check in, busy busy at work.

Well done on the RD effort Joe. I think lots of people don't appreciate the effort that goes in.

Just an 11 mile GA in the morning and easy 3 miles at lunch yesterday. Decided against a Wednesday evening session as I was feeling tired and run down. Feeling better today after a good sleep. Just something short with strides today, then hopefully a decent LR tomorrow.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - I'd suspect you are in the right ball park, as you seem to pace them quite well!
    Jools - I don't know about price, it was a present from a while ago, that I had to cancel as I got injured last year. I might go back for a follow up at some point, but interestingly I used to hit around 155 bpm for LT runs, the tests showed 160 bpm, so I wasn't that far off!

First LT session today, 15 mins (average 6:30) then 4 mins recovery then 12 mins (average 6:36). HR was between 155-159 on the LT sections, first part felt fine, second part was working harder as expected.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - a rare occurence of doing more than you.

HA - hope the long run goes well.

Well done on the LT run Steve

Backed up last nights 15 with 10 this morning, 2nd 5 av 6.45 but that was due to a welcome following wind pushing me along on creaky legs.

Race day is coming, i had to book my Brighton park and ride slot today.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Nice LT Steve. Take it that's the P&L split LT run.
    Solid TR. I got just over 10 in too but no chance I was doing any MP along dark pavements, being blinded by headlights & into a headwind on tired legs. Hopefully get an easy 5 in tomorrow then 30 over the w/e including parkrun.
  • I've decided I'm going Trans gender then my GFA qualifying time is only 3:45.....

Sorts my problem out!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice LT Steve. I reckon you really start to feel the improvement after you get a couple of those in the bag.

Solid couple of days TR at decent pace.

Jools - That was a long TM run a couple of days back. I like how you call it a metric marathon on Strava - I think the marathon is already metric at 42.195km.

Macca - forgot to give you credit for that crazy LR with 16 miles MP. The fact that you even contemplate that session on tired legs says you're super strong at the moment. It's almost like you're running has stepped up a level and you're just feeling for where your new limits are.

Good long tempo for me this morning, almost 20 miles averaging 6:15/mile with some decent hills in there and an MPish last few miles. Didn't actually feel that great the whole way but the pace came relatively easily. More than makes up for missing the Wednesday night session.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice plan FBT. Just need to decide on an outfit.
  • Macca - sub 17 at parkrun this weekend then? Absolutely nothing would surprise me when it comes to your running at the moment..

Top work HA, coming along nicely now. 

Sounds like a solid plan to me FBT. Very fitting on international womens day.

It's been a bit of a weird week. Definitely got some underlying illness which has given me some stomach issues and a bit of a sore throat. Hasn't been enough to stop me training but have definitely felt a bit more drained than normal.

Binned off a scheduled run session on Wednesday, and have just been logging lots of GA stuff instead. Couple of bike sessions, but last nights one showed HR was still higher than normal. 

Got Surrey Half sunday, pacing 1:30, will tie that into a long run. 
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Really good running from everyone the last few days, ive been flat out at work so only really getting the chance to pop in, scan the runs and go.

Super tempo run HA, nice when the pace comes easily when your not feeling tip top.

FBT sounds like a plan, you never know, you could win the gender category too, get some nice prize money.

I had the dreaded 12 with 7 LT run this morning, wasnt brilliant if im honest. The most annoying thing was my head went, rather than legs, before id even really left the house, which wasnt helped by the headwind i ran into for most of the paced miles. Still, 7 miles averaging 6.12 so shouldnt complain. But, i can cope when paces dont come through tired legs, bad pacing etc, just frustrates me when its my head that gives up.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    HA - Nice long tempo.
    Jools - Yeah P&L split LT, this is week one in build up to Edinburgh half.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    FBT: great idea! I might join you in a pair of HA's leopard print pants
    Hamo: the 7mi LT is the hardest run of the plan for me and when the weather is against you its so tough mentally so you did well to just get it done and still in a really strong time (much stronger than mine!).
    HA: nice that when you aren't feeling it the pace is still coming along fine - great long tempo run
    TR: nice 15/10 back to backs
    Steve: good job on the first LT session, always a tough one. I've often wondered why they split them in the HM plan but keep them as one block in the marathon plan.
    Commute home last night and back in this morning. Legs are feeling pretty good and have recovered quickly from my 7mi LT run
    Day off tomorrow for my daughter's 6th birthday party - I'm going to be covered in unicorns, pink and barbies by the end of the day I think!
    Sunday I'm planning on somewhere between 22-24mi
  • Hamo - I find LTs are often more in the head then physical. still a good workout , just often does not feel it.

Everyone seems to be buzzing at present, all the training seems to be coming together for people.

No running for me still tried 6 miles and first 2 miles were ok then the pain got progressively worse. Another week off. Only 5 weeks to go so almost a long taper now.....

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking long run HA, excellent.

Joe  - very wise, youve been kicking the backside out of it so an easier time is fine, and good for you.

Hamo - well done for getting it done.

5m easy today, im hoping to run a simlar long run to AWC this weekend (tomorrow for me). That will signal the end of the campaigns mileage chasing. After tomorrow ill hopefully have averaged 75mpw for the last 15 weeks, since i started up at the end of Nov following Abo. Im coming for my Abo 3.01 (even if it was solid enough after 3.5 years without a mara and some injuries).
  • Bit to catch up on - so, in no particular order...

TR... Great consistency over the winter. Really well done.  Brighton not far off.
    HPR...  similar.  5wks to go. Squeaky-B time.   Is that the same race, or Manchester?
    SQ... Hope you've recovered from your liason with Worcester Wonder Woman.
    Spoons...  not sure if I missed a post in my read-back.  Did you actually do the 20x1km session?
    Jools... Monster TM sesh. How on earth can you...?!
    Joe.. I meant to say last week : - My wisdom about making sure you check BOTH laces if you have to stop in a race to tie one of them does not come from some sort of massive intellect...  but from bitter experience of once having had to do exactly the same as you - stopping twice in a key 10K race about half a mile apart!  Well done on the RDing...  and look after yourself if you're under the weather.
    HA... Sounding very strong this week.
    FBT... Really sorry to read that it's just not happening for you right now. Best hold back on that operation because you'll really regret it if injury prevents you even getting 3:45.
    Hamo.. Put the frustration to good use next time you need mental strength in a key race!
    SteveMac.   Nice LT run. I rarely split mine because I'm not sure I'd get going again!  Really interesting results from your VO2/LT tests too. I do wonder if my own LTHR is actually higher than I do LT runs at. What HR max are you working off?
    Macca...  Good 15.5 mile MP session!
    Muddy... hope the nipples have recovered. I hardly noticed the Newport wind except for about 20 minutes...  I was a long way behind you and might well have been in a less exposed part of the course at that time. 
    AWC...  6.35 pace for a long LT sounds good. Enjoy the party.  Not too many sausage rolls.

Thanks for the comments on my disappointing recent form and HM (finally got a chip time 1:39:56 this morning - they had to go back to videos because my chip didn't register at the start line - heaven knows why not.)

There's a good chance that several months of low mileage has just taken more toll that I thought.  I expected that 9 weeks of solid training would have seen me bounce back to a better level than I'm at. Maybe it's age that's slowing my progress!    And Jools.. to clarify... when I said I hoped speed work would help, I mean that I've hardly done any so far and that the slow miles should have laid down some extra mitochondria and capillaries which aren't yet efficient at higher pace...  maybe a few LT/MP/VO2 runs will wake them up.

To that end, I'm in wk number 8 and went out very late again last night, finishing the 8m w. 5x800m VO2 session at 11.25pm. Pace averaged 6.24 for the reps, which is very similar to that achieved in the first VO2 of previous training cycles.  I know that's LR pace for some of you.. but I'm happy with it!
  • Good summary NE, I'll use it as a prompt.

Busy week at work here to, I decided that if I binned any sessions, work would just fill up the gaps and I still wouldnt get everything done, so ........prescribed sessions in the bag.

Thats a decent Vo2 any time of the day NE but especially in the plodding hour.  

HA - thanks, yes all feels a bit alien at the moment, like at anytime now someone will ask for their legs back.  Good end to the week and nice to have that LR in the bag for the weekend.

Joe - hope you get over the bug quickly, you've still been logging the sessions so will hopefully bounce back stronger.  I would settle for a 17.59 right now lol

Hamo - maybe the recent MP session still in the legs for the LT, my MP lingered for a good few days.

FBT - sorry to read your still on the bench, did you have a b race you could promote to a ?

Steve - I wondered if they have you eyeballs out/ready to colapse or is it a bit more scientific than that ?

TR - that solid block of training deserves a bit more than sub Abo imho.

Jools - I think 26.2km on a treadmill must feel like a marathon so I'll let you have that one even if HA wont 😉

AWC - solid commuting mileage following the LT. Have a great day off, sparkly unicorn poo slime seems to be the must have carpet adornment in this household atm.

The plan has dealt a lower volume week here (4 weeks to go) which isnt a bad thing as I'm begining to feel ready for a taper now. I've found a decent local 10k but as its post marathon, parkrun will have to do for a tune up tomorrow, I thought of running it twice but thought that might look a bit of a piss take.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you're still benched FBT. Very unjust given you'd just started showing promising signs of consistency in training too.
    I'm a right piss taker in that case Macca as I regularly run parkrun twice & sometimes 3x though I did nearly come a cropper a couple of months back when I started the 2nd time round without having scanned my barcode only to arrive back at the finish to find everyone packed up & gone :o Fortunately they were just in the clubhouse beside the car park sorting tokens & kit so I managed a late scan. Thanks for ratifying the Marathon TM session btw.
    Judging by that LR HA you were right to ditch the Wednesday session. Very tidy 20 even for someone of your calibre.
    Well that VO2 sounds promising then NE & nice to know you squeaked in a 99:xx HM. Wasn't that better than you managed before Manchester last year? or was that another pre-marathon half I'm recalling?
    Just 5M easy after work for me today. We'll see what I've got to give at parkrun tomorrow.
  • HydeparkrunnerHydeparkrunner ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jooligan - Nice work on the treadmill run. I don’t use them too often, but when I do I find I also end up always doing a progression run. Changing speed breaks up some of the monotony I guess.
    AWC - Good pace for the LT run
    TR - Solid 15 in the evening followed by 10 the next morning. Was the last 5 your target MP?
    Macca - Next week is still a pretty decent mileage week in the plan, going to taper for the half or keep as is?
    Steve - Possibly also a difference in the equipment you use to measure HR during training and theirs? Well done on the subsequent LT session as well
    SQ - Glad to hear the sports massage helped.
    HA77 - Pace still coming easily with tired legs is good. I’m still confused about the long tempo though. I thought tempo and LT runs were the same, so an effort you could hold for an hour. What’s your equivalent race pace/ perceived exertion for a 2 hour version?
    Joe - Hope you shake the illness off soon. You’ve done this a lot so I assume you know when you need to knock the training on the head and when you can power through. Luckily I haven’t had to make that decision this training cycle.
    Hamo - I think it’s definitely possible to talk yourself out of the 7@LT run. Luckily when I did it the weather was good, as was my early pace so I had lots of motivation to power through to the end. Not sure how I’d have coped doing most of it into a headwind, I’ve found myself getting frustrated over the last few days with the weather so probably not well.
    NE - I’m doing Manchester. Crazy time to finish a run at, well done on getting it in. Glad the pace was there as well, hopefully it begins to fall into place for you after being disappointed with your last race.

I hope parkrun went well for everyone running it this morning.

I’ve got some good miles in so far this week and barring injury I should hit 100 miles for the first time ever. 6 x 1k on Tuesday averaging 3:46 per rep which I was happy with. The 15 MLR the next day was a bit of a disaster. Felt good for the first half but started slowing from there and the last 2 or 3 miles were a death march. 12 MLR yesterday evening at 7:24s, the best pace I’ve held for an MLR and HR was relatively low. After that I’m happy to put Wednesday down to a 1 off. 14 @ MP on Sunday, what feels like the last real test of the plan. Looks like it will have to be an early start to avoid the worst of the wind.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    HPR - I'd say that an LT run or an MP run are both types of tempos. I think of tempo as a more generic term for a faster sustained pace run. Great mileage and good luck with the 14 @ mp.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    NE - well done on that late run, hope the mp goes well. i bet you were awake for a while after that late run.

Macca - hopefully I'll go better, im fighting the sands of time too though, ill be 52 a few weeks after Brighton.

HydeP - top week there. No idea re MP I'll be running to feel, but hope to go sub3.

23m time on feet run today in 3.01, copped an abdolute wind battering, was a relief to stop. Easier week later this week as have Fleet  1/2 next sunday.
  • Jools - I would happily do a warm down 2nd PR but I'd feel a bit self concious giving it full beans and passing all those around 40min + who were still on their first.

HPR - againt the rest of the week the 15mlr sounds like a one off , hope you can avoid the wind for the MP.

Park run for me this morming.  Feeling up for it I thought I would try to cling onto the tails of the faster guys for as long as possible.  The 1st 1/2 mile on decent path was around 5:30ish pace, a touch fast perhaps but I knew the 2nd half of that mile was on grass and sure enough, grip wasnt the best in road shoes and the first mile came in at 5:45 - target pace though.  Another section of decent path followed by a bit more grass and the first four had pulled away quite significantly spitting one guy out the back for me to chase. I caught him on another section of decent path but then there was no one in front in sight.  The gentlest of breezes was now hard work into and mile 2 came in at 6mins.  17:xx was now tight but with a quick 3rd and if my watch was long or the course short, still possible.  The first qtr of the 3rd mile was a bit muddier with more puddles than I expected so I couldnt pick up the pace until 1/2 mile ish to go.  This section is on a long straight former plane taxi way so if your eyesight is good, you can see the finish from a long way.  At 16mins and even 17mins I thought I might squeeze under 18. With someone not far behind I was giving it everthing but a glance at my watch just after I passed the line revealed 18:07. I had hoped the official time might shave a sec or two but it agreed with my time.  Can't be unhappy with a 12sec pb but tantilisingly close to sub 18........Its a fast flat course with no traffic but a bit of rain is worth a few secs, who knows if as much as 7.  I'm still not sure if it was a road or trail shoe course today but with eyes on the prize, there and back made 17 for the day.
  • NE - No, the wind wasn’t too bad at Newport compared to the forecast - I commented on my Strava that they (weather gods) seemed to have turned the wind up especially for the difficult last 3 miles, which would tie in with your last 20 minutes. It’s not a very quick course though with a fair few cycle traps to negotiate, short, sharp hills and quite a few turns. I wouldn’t beat yourself up about the time in the midst of marathon training and regaining aerobic strength.
  • Forgot to add - HPR, I planned to move the bigger sessions forward for next weeks half, just like Woky but I've remembered I've a works race on Weds so might have to rethink, I still want to give the half a good go though.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Awesome as ever Macca. That sub 18 is sure to come this year as long as your body continues to hold out.
    Sounds like a strong week overall HPR & no surprise the legs died after 12-13M with that interval session the day before. I agree that progression or intervals are the only way to break the TM monotony. Normally I'd switch pace after a set distance but Wed, even though I was increasing pace every 12 minutes, it still felt like a relief to get to the next section. Suspect that overall I've done too many faster miles in training this week as average pace is sub 8 for the week - my best race times have come when I'm averaging about 8:25 including races. This would explain why parkrun was a shocker today. Got by far my slowest time on the course yet. Even allowing for the wind & running the B course which has 3 dead turns it was dreadful. Couldn't even get close to 20 despite a 3:01 first 800m as I was down to 6:3x from there on in. With wu & cd shepherding my mate in I'd done 5.3M. By now the rain had stopped & the sun was out which was a relief. Drove up to the canal for a 2:30 out & back run. I set off quite despondent after pr so kept pace slow but as I went along I felt OK so figured I'd try & make it progressive: 5M@8:30, 5M@8:12, 5M@7:50, 3M@7:32 & then a K easy to make it 30K. Worked out well as I'd run out for 9.1M in 76 minutes before turning & only overtook her about 700m from the car in spite of the progression. Very happy with that on a blowy day after parkrun. 24M NAD all in :) 
  • Macca - great work there mate, a faster course is SURELY worth 8 seconds, probably a lot more to be honest if you've got others to run with. Things still looking really promising. 

HPR - huge week, really impressive stuff.

Jools - all peaks and troughs this marathon training lark, it's all part of the bigger picture. Another great weekend of training.

Great long run TR, I'd say you're pretty much there now!

Still not feeling 100%, but just a bit sluggish so cracked on with it this weekend. 13 miles with a parkrun sandwich yesterday. Hadn't done any speedwork this week so opted for a bash - Richmond Park though, not a particularly fast course. Wasn't thrilled with 18:17, but all part of the bigger picture and had some in reserve. 

Today I was pacing 1:30 at the Surrey Half. Logged an 8 mile warm up before leading a little group round - always brilliant at the end when everyones buzzing, most going under 90 mins for the first time. Great times. Added on a cool down to make it a 25 mile morning run. 

This left me on 98.4 miles for the week. Absolutely 0% chance of me not going out for a 1.6 mile jog this afternoon. Feet up now, another decent week. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Well done on the split LT, SteveMac. You’re definitely speeding up. 
    Fantastic long run, HA, especially if not feeling great. Cheeky to eek out a lunchtime recovery as well. 
    Pretty good LT pace, hamo. Never easy on your own. I have a loan about mine below!
    Oh dear FBT. Hope there is some improvement soon respect for not moaning more. I know that’s how I’d be feeling. Very stoic. 
    Wow that is a late run, NE. Good work and there sounds some definite logic to your analysis. 
    Good reps, HPR, especially amongst a huge week. 
    Well done TR, sounds like lots of were jus surviving the long runs this weekend. 
    The grass and mud sounds more like 30s Macca. Super running. 
    Tough Saturday and strongly backed up with another half this morning, Jooligan. Big miles. 

Biggest week of the plan, totalling 88M in the end. Sports massage for Tuesday seemed to really help my left hip. Whilst it is still a bit tight, it feels much more manageable through stretching. 

Piss poor 12 with 7 at LT on Friday. Paces ranged from 6:07 to 6:42. A bit windy and a very early start but well off half marathon pace. Nonetheless a tough effort, which is what counts, and I was no doubt holding a bit back thinking of my hip. 

Much more pleasing was his morning’s long run. 24M in the ridiculous wind on a rolling route, averaging 7:12with a slightly progressive effort. Blown almost to a standstill at times, although I appreciate there must have been some benefit at times. Hip fine - I think it appreciates a slightly longer warm up and stretch out. So I’m Macca’s words, I now need to recover from this recovery week. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Super pacing sandwich, Joe. And another with a huge week. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's a huge week at anytime Joe & there was a bit of biking in there too. All whilst feeling under the weather too. Chapeau.
    Nice work SQ. It's those strong LRs that are going to make your marathon rather than particular paces during an LT run - least that's what I'm telling myself.
    Beautifully sunny but very blowy out West this morning. Got out for a trot round my local (hilly trail) HM with a clubmate. Planned to do low 8s but legs felt ridiculously good after the first warm-up mile (8:38) so we pushed on. 6.5M was reached after exactly 52 minutes with most of the climbing done so unsurprisingly ended with a decent 3 minute negative split. I kept expecting a crash after yesterday's LR but I was running strong throughout. Even managed to maintain the effort when my mate told me to push on at 11M as his legs were gone. I slowed momentarily up a short sharp climb and let him come back to me thinking he'd be good to go from the top but when I pushed on he couldn't follow. Really pleased with the pace v effort balance and leg strength especially after such a big day yesterday B
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Macca - good going on the parkrun and long run combo.

Joe - big day there, nice one. Im impressed that you got folks to pb on a day like today, great pacing/motivating.

SQ - agreed, its the effort that counts on your LT run. Well done today too, thats a great run on a tough day. I was thankful i got mine done yday. I had considered doing 24 but had already gone over 3hrs by the time id done 23, and im not sure longer than 3hrs is doing me any good. Your were into marathon timr plus overtime but still under 3hrs.

5m easy for me today. I think i cam get my mlr in tomorrow after all snd then its an easier week prior to the Fleet 1/2. Hope its not as windy as today.
  • Well done on the pacing Joe.
    And Macca...  what a great PR.  For sure, that muddy terrain cost you 8s.
    Great run Jooligan
    SQ...good news on the injury.

I think I got to the bottom of my half marathon result last week. The day before, someone asked me if I'd take a HM pb or a win for Preston at Blackburn this week. I chose the latter.  I hadn't realised that the great almighty was actually listening, and was going to scupper my Newport Half - but I definitely saw the upside with the result from Ewood Park yesterday.

Crazy that I should get such a lift from a football match I didn't even see, but I was singing footy songs as I knocked out an excellent 21m long run through the woods in the dark yesterday evening. I'll swear that was helping my pace!  I felt strong. 

Tonight I went out and trudged out the 4.1m I needed to get me up to 40 for the week.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    NE - Great long run there. Nice Vo2 max session too at crazy times!! I always find the second LT session tough to hit pace on, probably due to the recovery part! I hit a HR max of 175 on the treadmill test.
    AWC - Nice long run this weekend. Not sure why P&L split the LT runs, I actually prefer the longer marathon plan ones!
    Macca - Nice parkrun PB, as others have said, sub 18 is there on a better course and having people to run with. the LT is 4 mins of running with blood tests at the end of every 4 mins, which then ties in to an increase in pace on the treadmill. The Vo2 max is a 1km/h increase in pace every minute until you can't run any longer then you jump onto the side of the treadmill!!
    TR - Nice Long run.
    SQ - Nice long run. It's the effort on the LT that counts!
    15 mile run on Saturday then Sunday was a 3 mile recovery in the Vaporflys after 90 minutes on the bike.