P&D Spring Marathon 2019

Comments

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Macca: well done on the parkrun - the kind of form you are in it will be just a matter of time before going 17:xx
    Steve: I prefer the split ones as I find the 6/7mi ones particularly hard but then they are probably better mental training. Anyway glad to see you are racking up the miles again injury free.
    NE: glad to hear the football lifted your spirits!
    Jools: nice when the legs feel ridiculously good after a solid long run! Your powers of recovery are immense
    SQ: 7mi LT in anything other than perfect conditions is so tough I find. Great 24 miler in that weather. I certainly felt the running but stnading still myself on Sunday morning. Looks like we have more of it to contend with this week
    Joe: well done on the 1:30 pacing job. I could do with you at Weymouth next Sunday. And I don't know anyone who would finish the week on 98.x and not go out again!
    TR: nice long run in atrocious conditions - enjoy this taper week
    Did a 24mi long run yesterday morning along the trail to Winchester and back again. Wasn't the most pleasant run with storm force winds blowing me back on the way home. Glad to get it done in the end. Day off today and I'm just going to take it easy with shorter stuff this week to taper a bit for Weyouth as I've had 4x 65mi+ weeks recently, maxing out at 68mi last week.
  • Impressive park run Macca... now you can run it 3x like Jools and take the piss, finishing before the last person! LOL....

Nice pacing Joe and another 100m week.... totally nuts 50 miles in a week kills me!

NE - absolutely! Better to get to the start line fit rather than train hard and not make it (or am I just a slacker!!!)

• hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    NE...that is very good Vo2 pace, especially given the time of night, fair play to ya. Followed up by a good LR too, amazing how football can help, or kill our spirits, my local team won on Friday night against the league leaders and it certainly gave me a boost all weekend.

HPR...hope the 14 @MP went well, and youve made it to 100 miles last week, super mileage if you have.

Macca...excellent parkrun, really well done. Sub 17 will come for sure, a muddy course is definitely worth at least 8 secs.

SQ...glad that the hip has settled and physio seems to have done the trick. Thats a top quality LR, excellent considering the weather. Must really boost your confidence? I like that recovering from a recovery week, im doing the same myself.

AWC...very solid run in awful conditions, and great consistency in your weekly mileage lately, thats what your after.

Jools...that is a class, really strong run, especially after the miles you put in on Saturday, its amazing how you can keep putting in big big weekends.

Joe...Kudos on another 100 mile week, very impressive considering you werent feeling 100% this week either.

Standard 8 miler for me on Saturday went ok, nothing major but seemed to shake the legs. Sunday was the 24 mile LR in atrocious weather, wind was shocking, and i got beat with hail stones for a good part of it as well. Was very cold so took a while to get going, but happy that i got faster as the miles ticked by, and averaged 7.23 min miles , feeling in control the whole way. First planned race of the plan on Sunday, local 10k, which im looking forward to, to see where im at fitness wise. Will be good test on tired legs as im swapping Saturday and Sunday round, so will be doing 18 miles on Saturday before it.
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Too much great training to comment on individually, but great work everyone.

Macca’s relentless consistency stands out, as it has done all year! Congrats on the PB, sure there is plenty more to come.

Sorry to hear you’re still suffering FBT, that really sucks.

I went ahead and attempted the NAZ session, but only got halfway before I decided to bale. My legs felt pretty good, and there were no injury issues, but the effort was probably closer to 10K than HM, and I didn’t want to dig myself in to a hole so I bailed. Overall not a terrible session, but a sharp contrast to this time last year when I smashed out all 20 reps feeling strong and super-fit

It was a disappointing confirmation that I’m just not in the shape to knock out these big sessions at the moment. As SQ said on our run this morning, you have to build in to these sessions, and between starting the plan on the back foot, and then the interruption with the glute issue, I don’t have the required momentum to push on as I’d like to.

This realisation, while hardly a surprise, was disappointing and led to a serious case of CNBA over the weekend. The thought of slogging away in the wind held little appeal, so I didn’t run a step. Ironic given two weeks ago I’d have done anything to get out and run, I know, but mentally I think I needed the break. I’ve decided I’m just going to take things a week at a time now. Hopefully I can still knock out some good mileage, and get myself fit, but with the focus on shorter LT sessions rather than the big marathon specific stuff. I suspect I’ll aim to treat London as an elaborate long run, so I can bounce back quickly and enjoy a few 10Ks before I start a hopefully more successful training block for Berlin.

An enjoyable recovery with SQ this morning on a beautiful, if breezy, morning, was certainly a nice way to hit the reset button this morning. Onwards and upwards…

• I’ve got some good miles in so far this week and barring injury I should hit 100 miles for the first time ever. 
    And here we see the exact moment I jinxed myself. About 9.5 miles into the MP portion of my LR and my left hamstring tightened up. I could have carried on and completed it with a bit of slowdown, but decided not to aggravate anything so jogged slowly to the nearest tube. I stretched, foam rolled and iced it when I got back, but I can’t really tell just walking around how it is. The test will be an easy recovery run this evening.

Well done to everyone who trained and raced over the weekend, especially with the wind yesterday. It was brutal. I’ll spend some time catching up properly in the next day or 2, at the moment I’m sulking.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Hello all, back from a week away. For those struggling to hit paces this week, I can certainly vouch for yesterday's wind. Tried to land at Luton yesterday and aborted twice. Pretty much crash landed on the third attempt. That's where pilots earn their money I guess.

Had a quick catch up on this page any everyone seems to be hitting some impressive mileage so well done all.

Last Saturday's heel pain is still lingering. Initial reaction is that it might be PF, but I'm not sure. It seems to only occur in my new shoes and after running 5k or so. No pain in other shoes. Can you get pains in specific shoes?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done AWC, it was a tough day for 24m.

Hamo - well done on yr 24m too. Fwiw i did chichester 10k as 5m, 10k, 9m recently, to get the long run done at the same time. A 10k the day after 18 isnt a great perfornance indicator and might break you down a bit.

Sppons - good for you, i bet the break does you good.

HydeP - sorry to hear that, your sulking comment made me smile though.

George - different shoes can probably affect your feet.

16m here tonight. Busy next few days with work, do my easier week pre gleet 1/2 starts tomorrow.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    HPR - bad luck. Hopefully the recovery went OK?
    Spoons - Must be hard to keep bouncing back. After your stellar year you do seem to have had a fair few hiccups in the consistency. Hopefully you'll come back fresher & keener for the couple of days off.
    I'd agree with TR's advice re your w/e plans Hamo. In January I turned an 8 mile race into a 21M LR by sandwiching it between a 3M wu & a 10M cd which took in most of the race route a 2nd time. The week before I did similar in a 10K however that was more like 2x10M, since I went home & had lunch after the race, then went back out after for part 2.
    Probably George. Not noticed it myself - be good if it is just that as easily resolved.
    That's the advantage of the Saturday LR TR: 16M on Monday, nicely done.
    Usual recovery Monday for me: cycle commute & 2K swim. Although my legs feel fine after the w/e I was definitely lacking power both on the bike & in the pool today so just as well I didn't run. Poor night's sleep won't have helped the recovery either. Had to get up as couldn't drop off cause I was so hungry :D 1 bowl of cereal later I was in the land of nod :)
  •  I know the feeling spoons......You seem in pretty good shape to me, but I guess its all relative.

Im on a 5 week taper for Brighton marathon...:)

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Morning all.

TR I’d agree that there isn’t too much point in going much longer than your goal marathon time. That said, I have exceeded three hours when doing trail runs – although there are little breaks, inclines etc in there. This was 2:53 of continuous running, so hopefully a really good stimulus.

Steve I imagine the Vaporflys felt quick on a brick run?

Great long trail run, AWC. Well toughed out.

Well done on the long run and the big week, Hamo. Look forward to seeing where your at in the 10k. Agreed with TR  - if you want to use it to make a judge of fitness, don’t do the long run before. Perhaps do it midweek or stick some miles on after.

You certainly can’t be accused of lacking motivation, spoons, just remember how much quality mileage is behind you. It won’t disappear – although perhaps might feel like it has. Taking one week at a time is definitely sensible. Onwards and upwards.

Oh rubbish, HPR. Wise to sack it off. Hope there’s been an improvement.

Sorry to hear that, George. Is it the shoes, or the type of running you do in them? Ie are you only doing fast runs in them?

Haha your sleep struggles and eating sound just like my daughter, Jools. Hope you feel refreshed today.

A really enjoyable recovery with spoons yesterday morning – stunning day with clear skies and snow on the Malverns. Snuck in a double to give 10 nice and slow miles for the day.

This morning’s very strong winds, combined with relatively fatigued legs, drew me to the dark side – a treadmill run. 9M with 5 x 600 at 5:40 – 5:22 pace (1% incline), with 400 recoveries. I know it isn’t actually running, and who knows how accurate the pace is, but it felt good to get some fast running in there. It is a pretty light session (thank goodness), and pleasingly I wasn’t absolutely hanging at the end of each rep. Punch ten days or so with a 15M MLR scheduled tomorrow.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jools - Hope you feel refreshed and rested.
    SQ - Yeah the shoes felt good, not fast, but didn't feel like I was putting in any effort, which kept the HR nice and low.
    TR - Nice 16 miler!
    Easy 8 miles today to start the week, nice and easy pace to keep HR low.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice TR, Jools and SQ, definitely noted and im now considering moving the 18 miler to the Friday (however i have 15 MLR tomorrow, would that be too close together?) and having an easier day on the Saturday...just to decide whether i can be annoyed getting up that early on a Friday morning :D . In fairness though, the real indicator of my fitness, and what pace to aim for in London will be next Saturday, when im planning to do the 20 with 14 MP LR of the plan, as 3 mile WU, 1 mile MP, race Larne Half Marathon, 3 mile CD, (admittedly i wont be tapering for it) however im more than open on opinions on whether this is a good idea or not. I feel like i shouldn't be missing the 14 at marathon pace miles, but just cant fit them in anywhere else, so i could always do the half at MP, im just not sure?

Brilliant session this morning SQ, really good pace, and even better that you weren't hanging at the end. Id a pretty similar session 9 with 5x600 myself, felt good, and happy with my rep paces, 5:36 - 5:22, getting faster each rep.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hamo plan for Larne HM sounds OK though I'd not bother with the mile at MP before the race. 13.1M@HM pace will be plenty good enough to replace the 14@MP. Just stick another mile on to the cd after. Cracking session this morning. What race pace would your reps equate to? 5K-3K?
    You're just doing this to confound my predictions for you FBT ;)
    Decent night's kip last night after eating solidly for over an hour once I got in from swimming :D
    Like you SQ I opted for the TM, 2% incline as usual, for my morning session: 10M with 10x800m@6:00 off 400m@8:00. Just inside 70 minutes for the session. Didn't do a before & after weigh-in today but definitely lost a few kg again!!
  • Hamo - I'm with Jools. Don't bother about the 1 mile MP before the race, just run it hard and add some slow miles in either side. 

Spoons - ah, really sorry to hear that mate. You don't seem to be having the best of luck recently. Hope you have a clear run from now through the summer. 

HPR - likewise, hope it's nothing too serious. 

Nice treadmill sessions SQ/Jools. Don't blame you at all. If I wasn't running point to point to work with the wind behind me I'd probably be rethinking my plans..

TR - good luck for Fleet. You're going full beans right?

Feeling remarkably fresh considering I ran a marathon (pretty much) on Sunday. 8.5 miles yesterday and 13 this morning, with a bike session tonight. Still undecided whether or not to taper for Reading. Quite like the idea of running at marathon pace, with maybe the license of speeding up if I feel good. 

Leaning more and more towards giving London a real go, but I've just been given the green light to do proper swimming again instead of just drills so that might make me rethink my weekly structure. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Go all in for London Joe. Wokey showed that you're in fantastic running shape and you've done consistently big mileage since so a PB should be on the cards IMO - you'll be able to take that GWR down even further if you fancy it though really you should be looking for a new one which makes the flat cap necessary :D
  • Jools - monster weekend, I’m not surprised your body is crying out for fuel. Good TM too.

SQ - really pleased you finished off last week with such a strong run after the LT.  You could always repeat the LT instead of one of the 10k tune ups or just consign it to history.

RSR - with your achievements then injuries then comebacks, taking stock for a few days looks like a good idea.

HPR - sorry to hear of the hamstring niggle, I’d be very careful about any speedwork before the marathon itself if it were me.

George - pleased to read you landed in one piece.

FBT - 5 weeks of taper.....most o
    Interesting stuff Steve - I had the chance to participte in a uni study on marathons with all that as a free incentive, shame I couldn’t commit the time required.

So many good LRs over the weekend I’m going to list them

Joe 25 + extra
    AWC 24 (trail so trumps road)
    Hammo 24
    SQ 24
    Jools 24 split + next day hm
    TR 23
    NE 21
    Me 18 ( in the context of this thread, barely a MLR).

Joe - faced with such dilemmas, I would ask myself “what would Joe do?”

I thought I’d bring my last 15m MLR forward this week (to yesterday) and find TR trumps it with a 16 !
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Still busy at work so just a quick one.

Hope that hammy clears up HPR.

Some cracking very long runs over the weekend as Macca says, well done all.

Joe - I think you could race Reading and still target London. I would've just targeted either Wokingham or Reading but considering you just missed a PB in Wokingham due to a wardrobe malfunction, I say go for it again. You could still take an easy week afterwards, then have 3 solid weeks before the London taper. I think a PB is on the cards if you do decide to give London a real go. 

Spoon - your plan sounds good. I think you'll be surprised what you can achieve without the monster MP sessions. I'm in 2 minds as to how important those big sessions are. When you get them done it tells you you're in good shape but the important things are what you've done beforehand to be capable of those sessions. 

Nasty toothache over the weekend got sorted yesterday but only managed a few miles in the afternoon. Just 6ish with strides this morning, then an easy lunch run. Taking it pretty easy leading into Reading on Sunday. I feel like I needed an easy week anyway.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Hamo I still reckon 18 on the Friday would affect a 10k race on the Sunday. Depends what you want from it, really. Agreed with Jooligan – don’t bother with a mile at MP before racing a half. I am also in two minds about that weekend – whether to do a half at MP effort or race it. A bit nervous about not doing 18w14 at MP,  but also quite fancy giving the race a crack as I don’t have anything else lined up. Well done on 5:22 in the actual real world. That is impressive.

Nice one on the TM session, Jooligan. Definitely a one off for me!

Joe I genuinely think you can have a crack at PBs at Reading and London. You have a few 100M weeks in the legs, so a lighter few days either side of Reading won’t harm you at all. Back yourself.

Good idea about repeating the LT instead of one of the races, Macca. Thank you – might consider this for this Saturday.

Hope the toothache is ok soon, HA. Excited to see how you’ll go at Reading.

• hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Jools...That pace (certainly the slower of the reps) would be where i think im at 5k wise, but in all honesty the quicker ones would be verging on 3k pace. I very rarely parkrun or race 5ks so am never 100% sure of what my times would be, my 5k pb was set in 2017. Eating solidly is my kind of recovery though, you definitely deserved it after the weekend.

Joe...Cheers, ill bear what you and Jools have said in mind and skip the MP mile. If i was you id be giving London a good whack, from the outside looking in your on the verge of pbs so would be a shame to not go after it.

HA...hope the toothache gets better soon, awful thing to be in pain with.

SQ...im liking Maccas idea too, and might treat the 10k tune up races as LT efforts rather than all out affairs, and just really go after the HM to give me an idea of were i am at fitness wise. I just cant seem to decide what to do myself, i feel as good as i ever have fitness wise and think im in pb shape, so dont want to waste that, but also at the same time have to keep reminding myself that London is the A race. Fully understand being nervous about skipping the 18w14 MP, but i think 13 mile at HMP should hopefully make up for it, especially if its a confidence boosting result.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Hamo cheers. Glad to know I had them figured about right. I'd like to think my 800s were at 5K pace but I've not run one that quick since last May! My 5K PB was set way back in 2015 but I've managed to come close on a few parkruns since. My track 5,000m PB was almost bang on 6 minute mile pace which was May. I've done 50+ parkruns a year for the last 3 years too!!

• Managed a run today in the lovely wind and rain. Left foot is much better and although slight discomfort its not painful like before.  not sure what to do now - straight back to it or easy does it.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Good news. Work your way back in with some easy mileage IMO FBT. I'd certainly avoid trying anything fast for a week at least and then no point going faster than MP at this stage. How far today?
  • 6 miles, and ok at the end, whereas before after 2 miles it was painful to hobbling point.

MLR this week or scrap that do you think?

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    If it still feels fine tomorrow try 10 but keep the pace easy to avoid aggravating it. I'd do it on some sort of loop so you can bail if it starts to hurt at any point.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    SQ - thats some quick intervals.

Jools - well done there too. Covering all bases.

Joe - yes, best on the day efforts Sunday, are you still mp for sunday. I hope to go a bit quicker than at windy worthing, and see some sub3 readiness.

Macca - i had to do 16 as the rest of the week is short and easy, if i had more time id have done 18.

FBT - take it day by day ?

Busy day today,  did the 5m minimum to tick a box.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Very good news FBT, glad to see it. Id echo the above, and suggest easing yourself back into it.

Wet and Windy 15 mile MLR for me this morning, felt good, and was able to push on a bit in the final 3 miles, not to MP admittedly, but happy with the effort and was in control.
  • cheers people - will do a loop today and see how it goes. - day by day as TR says on feel. felt ok this morning which is a good sign as well. Only 4 weeks from sunday left till Brighton marathon... Eek

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Hamo, I think getting in at least a couple of all out races is important. It helps get mindset right and I know I need to occasionally practise ‘suffering’ at the back end of the race. It is definitely a learnt skill and one that the marathon certainly requires. I would race the 10k or the half based on whichever gives you a better chance of a PB – weather, course profile etc. Good MLR from you today. Classic out and back I see!

Sounds relatively promising, FBT. Shorter loops with the option of cutting short sound a good option.

Another battle with Storm Gareth this morning. Painfully slow on the bypass. Ready for it to do one. 15M MLR at 7:30 average. Feel a bit battered and sore after a big ten days, so looking forward to easy 6 milers for the next couple of days.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR's Hamo / SQ / Macca / Joe.
    Good to see FBT back out!
    7 miles with strides today.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Yea SQ, i chose the out and back today in the hope that the wind would be blowing across me rather than run into a headwind, was nearly right, so wasn't as awful a run/struggle as it could have been, just didn't take into account the canal bursting its banks over a fair whack of the tow path :D Well battled through on your MLR this morning.