Sub 3

Comments

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR You deserve an easier day today. Even after my massive w/e I'm only on 78 for the week.
    I've averaged 68.9 mpw in the last 19 weeks since Snowdonia with 15 days off. Last year I averaged 73.4 mpw in the same 19 week period but only took 4 days off. All those 20 milers at the weekends have allowed me to have Mondays off without compromising the total mileage :)
    Decent LR there SJ. Well toughed out in shitty weather & suffering chafing too. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - thats a couple of cracking winters. I still get a bit WTFP with the 5 and 6 milers on easy days, but I'll review the training (and adjust it for Abo) in 5 weeks time.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    LMH/St.J.. a gold star to you both for getting long runs done in awful conditions.  (They used to give us a gold star for 10/10 in our spelling tests at school!)  At least I got to suffer in the sun today  :o
    OO.. you must have your own weather pocket down there if you got out in t-shirt!  Nice long run banked.
    Jooligan.. sounds like a cracking run for you after a heavy previous day.  I'm always surprised by my Parkrun pace the day after a long run.
    TR..hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow.
    Feeling a bit more human after a meal and beer or three.
  • How long are you out there for Wardi? Make the most of the nice weather.

Glad the window of opportunity has opened up for you TR - sounds ideal with Fleet at the weekend, hopefully this weather will have blown through by then.

Nice base Jooligan.

So, my plan was to have another big week this week then ease off next week before Ashby but with 40-50mph gusts forecast for the next few days and some new niggles after yesterdays slog I'm thinking this might not be a good idea - even if I could manage it which I'm not sure I can without breaking at the minute.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Wardi - well done at Barca; can't believe it's four years since you, me and JAP were drinking post PB beers out there.  As it happens, I saw Justin yesterday spectating at mile 12 of the Surrey half.  I'd done a 24 and 5 mile double on Saturday and was organising the pacers for Sunday's race, but felt good enough to join in and run the 1h30 with Joe.  Felt very comfortable; wind wasn't too bad out on the course - even took a bit of vid footage > here  

Knocking out weeks in the 90-100 range; same old really.  5 weeks to Boston.

EE - sorry about your news 
  • Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    Lots of good stuff going on over the weekend; well done on the GFA renewal Wardi, great wind battered LR TR & very nice solid mileage, Jooligan and DanA your Saturday and Sunday was very respectable training wise :) and a bloody well toughed-out 20 SJ, that sounded miserable.

EE - Sorry to hear about your Dad, RIP

TT - Nice to see you back on here, that TM knee injury sounded pretty nasty (never considered that you could do something like that!)

OO - Nice LR , I'm envious knowing the trail well! I'll hopefully be down running (or cycling at the very least) on the same for the late May BH & again in late August.

My legs took a few days last week to get over the worst of the effects from last Sunday's 20M race, it was mostly my inner quads above the knees which seem to have bourn the brunt of the damage. Monday was very creaky, with only 7 very easy averaging 8:40/M! Tuesday was way better with a 13+8 Easy double (pace back under 8m/M), Wednesday involved a very easy 2M around QE Park on the South Downs trying out the new Salomon Speedcross 5 trail shoes with Alton Sports & then 16M back at home in the afternoon (still suffering a bit of resistance in my quads). By Thursday normal leg service was resumed with 16+10 Easy double, I doubled again on Friday with a sprightly 10 (6:49/M) after mroning school drop-off & then another 12 (av7:12/M) at lunchtime. The 2nd Friday run was a bit challenging being not long after the 1st one (<3hrs gap), but Mrs Al_P was away Weds-Fri at a conference, so it was a case of fitting in runs as and when I could...

I took Saturday off (badly needed after nearly 90M Tues-Fri) and then did another long sub-lactate threshold run on Sunday (post junior parkrun RDing). It started a bit sluggishly, the warm up was ok but it then took a mile or two for my legs to get into gear when I upped the effort. I was running it on a moderately protected 1.3M loop near home to dampen the effects of the gale force winds. From about 3M on my legs clicked into gear and the miles started coming out below 6m/M at a HR which was comfortably below marathon levels. Forgot to check what time I started the normal 70min tempo section, so ran through to 12M before slowing back down. A speedy sub 5:30 last mile helped pull the average pace down to 5:57/M for the previous 70mins (and for the record I was running in Boston 7s, not the 'magic' shoes as per the previous similar run!). A decent end to a big (110M) week, now planning to temper the mileage this week, with a view to giving Fleet a good bash on Sunday... 

• Nice training Al.

Sounds as though you're in good shape Dan.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TT/TR - year-end for me, but Mrs P's hours are caused by an experiment she is currently running needing a huge amount of monitoring at the moment (she's now doing more research rather than usual vet work). So the busy times are predictable at least as they have a plan for when the various experiements will be happening.

Jooligan - that's a great effort in those conditions on Saturday. And then to follow it up the next day with a HM, impressive.

TR - ditto, 23M in that wind must have been tough. More miles in the bank though - just need a bit or sharpening now and making sure you're legs freshen up by race day.

LMH - I expect you had even worse conditions than us soft southerners! Well done for toughing it out.

Wardi - another GFA so can't complain too much, and I'm sure you enjoyed a few beers!

SJ - that sounds horrendous, but you must have been pretty proud of yourself when you got home (and had warmed up)!

OO - 80M is a very solid total. For me that's the target mileage in marathon training, and I suspect the marginal benefits for more than that would be fairly small.

Al_P - 90M in 4 weekdays is insane! I'm guessing your work is pretty flexible.

Just 5M for me on Saturday with the dog and child (so quite stop-start), nothing on Sunday, meaning a huge 25M for the week...

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Pug, welcome back!

Wardi, sorry it wasn't one of your best, but glad to hear you're still on the GFA conveyor. I'm sure you will have enjoyed the cervezas though!

Big weekend Jooligan! And a similar combo for you Dan!

Excellent training, all.

The Cambridge Boundary Run was as delightfully random as ever, being organised by a fresh intake of students each year. I was told at the finish I came 4th (wouldn't be surprised if that changes if/when some results appear), but several peeved guys finished after me who were much quicker, but had got lost. We were warned some self-navigation was required and TBH it never ceases to amaze me how cavalier some people are about finding their way compared to the effort they put into training. To be fair there was one bold flour arrow pointing in exactly the wrong direction which sent some people round in a circle! I covered only 25.8M (following the rest of the field at one point the wrong way, not wanting to lose out compared to everyone else) in 3hr01. It was pretty windy at times and there were some slippery tracts; I gambled on road shoes for the first time this year, which were just about OK, though I nearly lost it a couple of times.

My aim was to be somewhat competitive but not nuke my legs, and I think I got it about right -- I was still able to jog to work this morning and haven't got proper marathon DOMS, but I am pretty creaky.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

CW - sounds like about the appropriate amount of effort and not a bad pace considering the wind and terrain.

Inspired by the miles you lot are banging out, and Al_P's tempo runs, I decided to do a slightly longer lunchtime run today (I was in early so I don't feel too guilty) and include something fairly hard. So 9.5M in exactly an hour inc. 5x(1min on/1min off), 3M hard and another 5x(1min/1min). The 3M hard was around a flat loop and the wind didn't seem too bad apart from one fairly short section straight into the wind. The first mile of that must have been a bit downwind as it was 5:30 and didn't feel too hard, the next was 5:42 (with the section into the wind) and then 5:38 for the 3rd mile (seemed to be mainly a crosswind). Pretty pleased with that, although I was very well tapered!

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    CW - Well run around the Cambs Boundary! Personall I class 'knowing where you are meant to be going' as a crucial racing skill particularly in trail races, but it's helped me out in a few road races too. I remember running a HM in Bournemouth a few years back when the lead group of 3-4 50yds in front of me suddenly did a 90Deg left up a street when they should have continued straight on with the sea on their right. I took pity and as I came level with the turning shouted to them that they'd got the wrong f'ing way instead of just letting them continue on their merry way... Did you have the route loaded into your Garmin yesterday to refer to (I find this essential with most trail races)?

Padams - Some tasty fast miles in your lunchtime run! Happy to inspire  :)

Easy 13 (v) early doors today and then another 8 at lunchtime with 7x30", not very fast, strides.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Hello,  ive tried to join in here a couple of times but each time got injured or setback. Third time lucky hopefully. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - don't break yourself !

Dan - another person doing 24m Saturday and 1/2 mara sunday 

Al - thats some miles ! And to think im always pleased with mysrlf if i get 2 mlr done in a week. Hope to see you Sunday. Cant remember the last decent weather ive had for a 1/2 though.

Padams - good for Mrs P, sounds interesting. Well done on the lunchtime run.

Charlie - 3.01 is what all the cool kids did for a long run this weekend.

Menn - welcome, i remember you on the 3.15 and P and D threads, you were well under 3 hrs ? 2.4X ish?

16m tonight, busy next few days with work so my easy week pre fleet starts now.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good work cramming that 16m in early in the week TR.  I hope the weather is kind for Fleet, Sunday looks better than Saturday wind wise so fingers crossed.
    Blimey Al P that is impressive mileage cramming in between family/work.
    Very nippy lunchtime run Padams!
    Charlie.. well raced (and navigated!) for a decent position, good pace too on mixed terrain.
    Dan.. I remember Barca 2015 well, particularly a text from you after the race promising to get the beers in. That was your one well earned and much prized sub 2:45 if I remember rightly.
    LMH.. back today unfortunately.  Had I anticipated the next week's weather here I think I would have stayed on for a while!  I was supping a beer outside with t shirt & shorts on yesterday. B).  Mind you I do seem to have fallen on a good week for recovery!
    Barca course changes.. the main section cut out was the climb up to the Nou Camp (3-9k).  The main switchback which leads to half way is now about 1k longer each way to make up the distance.  There are a few other tweaks but nothing major.  The last 2k up the Av.De Parallel has been re-routed from about 500m up, off to the right then left in a triangle back up the road past the Suarna Bar onto the last section of the Parallel.  This doesn't seem to make any difference to the ascent required so I can only assume it must be to make up the distance.  Personally I would rather just run up the Parallel as before.   
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    `Hi TD, Thats me.  Ive managed to push on to 2.39 in Valencia in December and am working toward 2.34.xx in Edi hopefully. Still on P&D which has done me proud, but wondering if it remains the right option for me at present. In the absence of anything else am using an amended version of the 12 week upto 75.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wardi - im not too botheted re next Sunday, but i will be pre Brighton. I wanted to have Southampton as a weather/injury back up, but it was rejected by the high commisioner as we have a family wedding the day before. 

Menn - thats blimmin good progression, what differences are you putting into P and D? Not sure why youd change what is obviously working, although a change might be good mentally.
  • I also had a tough day at the office. Can't blame the weather, which wasn't too bad for most of the race, but less than 3 hours sleep in the world's worst hotel wouldn't have helped I suppose. I had absolutely nothing on the hills. Gun time 40.50, which suggests I won't even manage 3.15 never mind a sub 3. I think I've qualified to run for England Masters in Birmingham though. I was 3rd V40 and the qualifying standard time was a rather generous 41.30 IIRC. Not that I'll be able to run a fast 10k only a month after a marathon...
  • Hi Mennania - hope you can stay injury free this campaign.

CC2 - you know the lack of sleep won't have helped, you have a few weeks of training yet and the marathon not a fast 10k has been your focus, don't write yourself off yet. A month after the marathon should be a great time to run a fast 10k!

The wind is awful here again today and forecast to be even worse tomorrow, this week is proving somewhat challenging - I think a few more days in the sun would have been a good idea Wardi!

I can't see the problem if the race is the day after the wedding TR............
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Hope so LMH. Thanks for the welcome

CC2- I ran Chester 10k with my daughter - not the easiest of courses.

Amendments TR are;

more 20  milers - min 5 normally 6.
    Tune up races generally go to be replaced by Parkrun or Tempo/PMP session excepting an early half mara effort.
    VO2 stuff replaced by hills or Tempo/MP.
    I also have a big cut back week 5 weeks out and reduce the taper to 1.5 weeks.

Having written that I realise I dont actually do the P&D anyway.....

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Al_P -- yes, I meticulously plotted the route to download to my watch -- not that we actually followed the published route at times! (Hence my 25.8 miles.) And I've done it before a few times, which obviously helps, though there are odd bits which I don't know by heart. I did some calling back of others who'd gone the wrong way this time, as I've done on various previous occasions -- I do also load the route into my watch for any road race that I suspect may not be well marshalled, and definitely all trail races!

Well done CC2, nice to get a spot in the age group competition even if you were disappointed with the time in this one.

Wardi -- my employer is headquartered near Barcelona. Maybe I can combine it with a work trip one year...

Another creaky commute double today, 5M this morning. Hopefully the legs will forgive me my about Thurs.

• Hey all.

Looking for some thought after a terrible March training wise. (Haven’t been on her partly due to not wanting to read about your 80m weeks!)
    A glute niggle turned into something worse 2 weeks ago and I had to cut my running by 2/3 and no hill / speed work.
    I’ve been doing strength every day and it’s helped but niggle won’t go away. I am also now totally off for 3-4 days with a stupid virus!

I had a really good Dec-Feb 3 months of around 150, 210, 220 miles. I did a 80min 1/2 marathon 3 weeks ago.

I think I will still do Brighton, but need to dial back expectations.

Any thought as to if I could still do sub3 / 3”05 on 30-40m/week slow between now and 14th or should I play it safe and jog it? Pain is not unmanagable at 7:30 pace and is better from about mile 3+. Don’t want to wreck Boston qualifying (3:05 for me) and maybe seek another race later in year? (Any suggestions on which?!)

Thanks! :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - well done on the qualifying.

LMH - the wedding is the day before, so i wouldnt join in properly, is the argument.

Menn - sounds like you know waht works, but you must still be following some of the  principles. Have you done the 1/2?

TGO - atill 5 weeks, wait and see where you are nearer the time.

Busy and long day today, did the 5m minimum to tick a box.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TGO You were in c.2:50 shape 3 weeks ago then & won't have lost that much fitness - I'm sure I've seen a good few runs on Strava in the interim too so it's not as if you've stopped completely. See how you go over the next 3 weeks but I'd imagine sub 3 would be feasible off that base so long as you can hold that pace without hurting by then.
    Yeovil looks to be a good race in early June or else Abingdon in late October would be my recommendations.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im in for Brighton, yeovil and abo, so all aboard. See how it goes TGO, you can still sub 3 at Brighton as jools says. I'll be aiming sub3 all being well, as will jools (hopefully), safety in numbers !
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TGO.. if it's nerve related rest/stretching is rarely a cure in my experience.  If you feel uncomfortable sitting in a car/bus/plane after an hour or so that would tie in with what I experienced.  A cortisone injection sorted me out within 4 days, but if it's a muscle injury rest and stretching would be my recommendation.  Valencia is the fastest late in the year course (early Dec) that you could possibly find, almost totally flat.

• As other's have said if you can run pain free and not croc yourself totally by doing so I think you still have a chance TGO though I'd want to be able to get at least one more long run in before the taper myself.

Forecast winds gusting up to 50mph today so I'm not rating my chances of being able to run outside. I'm a bit reluctant to resort to the treadie as I'm niggly but if it's that or nothing I may have to see if I can manage a few miles there, it's going to be a low week - I've only run 40 miles so far and the weather is showing no signs of improving:-(
  • Well done Speedy on the England Vets vest. Had a peak when I first entered Manchester at the standards for V45... It's 3:05 but 4 went sub 2:45 last year so I've no hope.

TGO - hope niggle and lurg clear off soon for you. As others have said you won't have lost too much, probably more confidence than fitness. A decent week back, when you can will sort that out.

Gareth is in full force here. Wild drive over this morning.. only one lorry on its side and he had the good grace to turn it over off the road.

I'll be out there tonight for mlr. Tempted to tip up to that 20 I have binned off about 4 times. That or the Wigan half which isn't flat. Which would benefit me more? Another 20 with some faster bits with company or a quicker shorter effort for confidence. Not going to gain too much more fitness now I shouldn't think. Manchester 4 weeks out.
  • I'd got for the long one sj, you have the speed.

Rough here this morning but I'm sure I can't blame all of my loss of pace on the wind, bad as it is. I would have thought that with three shorter runs in a row I'd be getting faster rather than slower. RHR is fine, no signs of over training, no idea what's going on but I don't like it.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TGO - as others have said, you won't have lost much fitness and the 80min HM indicated you were in shape for much faster the 3 hours.

LMH - don't overanalyse things, some runs just go better than others. Hopefully you'll be back on it next time.

SJ - 4 weeks out I would be looking for 20M-22M with some MP sections towards the end.

Nothing yesterday as busy at work, but 6M into work this morning with a rucksack on.

I'm considering a local HM on Sunday but holding off entering for now given Mrs P is not feeling well and mini-P has a cough so I fear I may get it in the next couple of days. If I feel OK tomorrow I might enter though.

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    You class 40 miles by Wednesday morning pre-run as low LMH! What day does your week start?
    I'll be knocking out the MLR soon as I get out of work too SJ.
    I'll definitely be going for the sub3 at Brighton TGO/TR. I'm not going to be greedy either - very happy with anything that starts with a 2. Garmin's always clocked 26.4M there in the past so I'll be bearing that in mind when clocking my splits though.