Overdone it?

Comments

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well done Tommy. Skinny I think this calls for a separate worksheet for hungover pbs. Needs to be quantified by blood alcohol percentage readings at 8am morning of the race. Surely you must be jesting about the swim though Tommy ? :cold_sweat:

Also congratulations on the parkrun "win" David. Quotes 'cos it's not a race :P

Congratulations on the continued parkrun improvements and good health Skinny !

Rubbish weekend of running for me, definitely somewhat under the weather, what with shaking off a headache for the past few mornings, feeling tired and taking the day off last Wednesday. However the training has got to be done so I will have to dig in and do a longer run tonight to make good on the commitment to the marathon, otherwise it's looking a bit bleak for being remotely prepared for it.

On that note, well done Mace on preparing well for it !
  • Very true Muddy.  Everyone is a winner at Parkrun :wink:   Hope last night's run didnt make you feel any worse.  
  • Very true Muddy.  Everyone is a winner at Parkrun :wink:   Hope last night's run didnt make you feel any worse.  
    *parkrun

My daughter made the point, having read the bumph when signing up, that although you are encouraged to walk, jog, cycle or use public transport most people seem to misinterpret parkrun as drive and park and run. Therefore perhaps a better name would have been runpark.

Then she did it and commented that for some people 'carwalk' would probably be the best description.

Started the week with a 2 last night.  B)
  • Carwalk, runpark, parkrun, it doesn't matter.  I WON it!  :smiley:
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's what annoys me, it is supposed to be whatever you want it to be, unless you want it to be a race!!
  • I imagine to a lot of people it's a race.  Great community spirit though I must say.  I'll volunteer for one after the HM.  Pacers started at 21 minutes so there's a gap I could fill there surely?  :smiley:
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    8 degrees!  Did you have a wetsuit? That's nuts, Tommy.  Well done on the Parkrun.

DH - congrats on the "win"!  Been while since I troubled first lady spot but a great feeling.  

Skinny - I do think it all sounds like it maybe starting to move in the right direction.  Fingers crossed for you.  

Well done on your 20, Mace.  

I did my 20 on Saturday that was meant to have 14 at MP but I struggled a bit to be honest.  I don't think I was recovered from Warwick half and the wind really took its toll.  So I did a good chunk of MP running and then had one of those runs where you stop dead for no reason every few miles.  I ran easy for the rest of the run anyway so that's another 20 ticked off.  Then an easy 5 on Sunday and ran 12 mostly with club last night.  Apparently 55 miles in last 7 days so no wonder I'm tired!   Day off today and not sorry either as I'm watching the driving rain and wind out of the window.  Last 20 on Sunday before taper starts but in sociable company which almost doesn't count.  

• Good going McFlooze. Still no 20 up for me - but I did 17.5 as 3.5 + 14 yesterday to follow up Sunday's 9m. 26m across 2 days will have to do !

The 14 was with 10 miles alternating marathon effort with easy round a 1km loop near the office, straight after work - found myself around 6 min/mile for the marathon effort bits.  It was a pretty windy evening but not kidding myself I can do that continuously. In the end hunger brought a close to proceedings.

I don't feel too shabby today, so will try to eke out a double in the double figures again.

Parkrun is not a race for me as I have no right of way. However if the path is clear, I may try to beat my previous attempt :) but not arsed about what anyone else is doing as there are no prizes ;)

I like that people can turn up and amble around. Us fit sorts really underestimate what it takes for some people to get out there and get started. I can sort of rationalise them driving there too, given the state of many people's communities. On the other hand, I have no excuses !
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Our 'local' parkrun is in the middle of nowhere, so you'd have to drive there unless you were already fit enough to jog at least two miles from the nearest town and then back again after. There's one bus an hour, and it conveniently arrives three minutes after the start.

Well done to everyone who's done any training, especially Skinny. I still haven't done any running but hopefully might get round to it sometime soon.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Well done Tommy. Skinny I think this calls for a separate worksheet for hungover pbs. Needs to be quantified by blood alcohol percentage readings at 8am morning of the race. Surely you must be jesting about the swim though Tommy ? 
    I kid you not. It was 8 degrees but I did have a wetsuit on! Some of the other swimmers were just in swimming trunks or costumes. 

DT19 said:
    That's what annoys me, it is supposed to be whatever you want it to be, unless you want it to be a race!!

Have you ever not been able to 'race' a pakrun?! Any parkrun I've ever done has included people running it flat out i.e. racing it, people running with their mates, people with their kids and/or dogs run-walking round etc. I don't think I've ever heard anybody have a problem with somebody running it as fast as they can (so long as they observe the advice about not having exclusive use of the park, be aware of people out walking their dogs etc etc)

Well done McF and Mace on the 20 milers. 

Glad it's a rest day, the weather is foul. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I've heard various mutterings about fast runners at some parkruns, Tommy - there definitely are people (a minority, hopefully) who think 'inclusive' doesn't include fast runners, and there's sometimes also a lack of will on the part of organisers to enforce or announce some of the guidelines about keeping to the left etc. in case they seem to be favouring faster runners over slower ones.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Yes, Lit has my point. If you go on a parkrun fb page and ask 'what time does the race start?' You will very quickly get told that it isn't a race. My point is, if I want it to be a race why can't I?

There was that almost viral post when Charlotte Arter broke the parkrun world record from someone moaning about fast runners and how parkrun isn't supposed to be about them etc.

On my local parkrun page last summer someone simply posted from a H and S perspective asking if people could position themselves at the start in an appropriate place. This very quickly was turned into some sort of elitist faster runner trying to make parkrun all about fast runners. Lot's of arguments about the term inclusivity in the context of how it is supposed to be inclusive of slower runners to the extent that it appeared to make it non-inclusive for faster runners . It peaked with someone commenting that 'fast' runners were just so rude there and never thanked marshals or encouraged slower runners.

As for the original point, the official line was that it was all inclusive and people could start where they wanted.

• Cheers McFlooze and lit.  Even though it was my first parkrun (or whatever we're calling it) I was surprised by the community spirit.  Living in London we're not really used to people smiling and encouraging one another on so it was nice to spend half an hour with a group of like-minded people/runners.

Tommy2D - I dragged myself out today and actually had a very enjoyable run.  A little hail at the beginning but that was only for a minute and there didn't seem to be much wind at all.  Kept it low in terms of intensity and felt quite bouncy at the end still.  

Well done on the 20 milers.  
  • DT19 said:

Yes, Lit has my point. If you go on a parkrun fb page and ask 'what time does the race start?' You will very quickly get told that it isn't a race. My point is, if I want it to be a race why can't I?

There was that almost viral post when Charlotte Arter broke the parkrun world record from someone moaning about fast runners and how parkrun isn't supposed to be about them etc.

I think their website says it all really.  "First finishers"  anyone?

Anyway, when do I receive my medal?  I take it it gets delivered by post? :wink:
  • DT19 said:

I think their website says it all really.  "First finishers"  anyone?

Anyway, when do I receive my medal?  I take it it gets delivered by post? :wink:
    You are on the Roll of Honour though David which is parkrun immortality.

I like that parkrun is a community and almost without fail people are friendly and helpful towards each other.

I don't like in the winter when we run a 5 lap course that people run 4 abreast on a 3 people wide path and that two dog running friends will choose to run beside each other with 2 dogs on leads between them and that slow runners are also incapable of running, or sometimes even walking, in a straight line.

However above all my likes and dislikes it is a free timed group 5k on every Saturday which is quite useful.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, yes I agree it is a great thing for absolute sure, I just wish a small minority who can then be disproportionately vocal would understand the definition of 'inclusive'.

10 X 1K over lunch off 1 minute at HMP-10k pace. Aim was to start at HMP and progress finishing strong. Reps came out-

3.57, 3.54, 3.53, 3.52, 3.51, 3.50, 3.51, 3.49, 3.47 and 3.48 so pretty much panned out how it should have.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Ah - 'fast' runners and parkrun is another thing entirely; my point was that if you're personally trying to be beat your own 'PB', run faster than an arbitrary time or just finish ahead of your mate then in your mind it's a 'race'. It doesn't matter if you're a 'fast' runner trying to break 17 minutes or someone trying to go under 45 minutes for the first time then you are 'racing' it irrespective of the pace you run it.  

DT - I think if you go on a parkrun FB page and call it a race you are going to antagonise people! The original concept for the event was a time trial where I guess people where typically running as fast as they can. It then morphed into being more about inclusivity, which naturally should include those at the front of the field. I guess there may be a misconception that as parkrun has changed from one to the other, possibly from those people who came into running through parkrun and don't take part in 'proper races', that parkrun is only about the inclusivity part and that 'fast' runners should stick to 'proper' races, I'm not sure though. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I remember once volunteering at a parkrun and having to go and have a quiet vomit behind a bush when the run director kept calling us 'magic makers'.
  • Trying to teach my Mrs how to quiet vomit.  Since she's turned 30 she's been unable to handle her drink.
  • I also simply don't understand why someone will choose to turn up at an organised event like parkrun to walk round the park for 5k on their own whilst the marshals stand around waiting for them sometimes in the wet and cold.

Why not just start a bit earlier and walk round a different part of the park? What exactly is the point of doing it so it is timed?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    My dog vomits very quietly, David. He does it so we won't notice and he'll have time to eat it.
  • I also simply don't understand why someone will choose to turn up at an organised event like parkrun to walk round the park for 5k on their own whilst the marshals stand around waiting for them sometimes in the wet and cold.

Why not just start a bit earlier and walk round a different part of the park? What exactly is the point of doing it so it is timed?
    Maybe they really want their '50' or '100' vest Skinny.  

Maybe they really want their '50' or '100' vest Skinny.  
    Yeah - woohoo!! Clappity, clap, clap.

Incidentally how do you get one of those T shirts - do you have to order them? I've done nearly 60 but I haven't got one. More importantly do you have to pay for them? :-)
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    go on your profile on the parkrun page (there's a link in the results email) and look under 'club progress'. Think you just have to pay postage. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes it's right, Skinny. At least it's not a marathon mind, which people walk most of as well. 

But Tommy, whilst i wouldnt do that why shouldnt i call it a race if that's what it means to me? I mean, there's a starter, a timer, position chips and a published set of results in position/time order. If it looks like a race, smells like a race then it probably is a race!
  • Lit - that is exactly why I'd like a dog one day.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    Yes it's right, Skinny. At least it's not a marathon mind, which people walk most of as well. 

But Tommy, whilst i wouldnt do that why shouldnt i call it a race if that's what it means to me? I mean, there's a starter, a timer, position chips and a published set of results in position/time order. If it looks like a race, smells like a race then it probably is a race!

Well it's there thing and they can call it what they want and they've decided it's a run so if you call it anything other than a run then you're wrong!

How you approach it, which is what I thought you meant earlier when you said 'it is supposed to be whatever you want it to be, unless you want it to be a race', and if you want to make use of the time keepers and recorded finishing position etc and run it as fast as you can i.e. 'race' it then in my experience, nobody is going to stop you or question you about it.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes that's what my point is. it's up to me what it is to me like it is for anyone else. I wont pick someone up on it for calling it what it is to them. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The links do expire Skinny. I let the link to my volunteer t-shirt expire as a warm fuzzy feeling is all I need.

As a volunteer I don’t begrudge the walkers their walks. As a fast runner I’m cool with mass participation events where people walk too. It could be me one day, just trying to hang out with my tribe. Churlish chunterers that they are, at both ends of the speed scale ;)

• Thanks Muddy. I think I will survive without.

I did 30 notional miles on a gym bike in 90 mins last night but left it a bit late and couldn't sleep not helped by Gareth battering on the window.