15k to Marathon in 8 weeks?

Hi everyone,

I have been running more or less consistently for the last year but I don't usually run more than 10 miles a week. I have done a half marathon in September in 2 hours and 20 minutes. I would like to do a Marathon and there is one coming up in my hometown in 8 weeks but I am not sure whether it is possible to safely train up to one in 8 weeks. My longest run recently was 15k. What do you think? I am just aiming to finish a marathon, I don't really care about the time :)

Comments

• I don't think 8 weeks will be enough to train for a marathon from where you are. Providing you are willing to endure some pain on the day you will be able to complete it though, probably walking a fair chink of it. 

Also check if the race has a time limit. Going by your half time you will probably be finishing in over 5 hours.
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Hi, I agree with bigballer69 here. I'm sure you'd get round, but it may not be a very enjoyable experience! My personal feeling is that your first marathon (regardless of time) is something pretty unique that you'll remember forever, and it would be a shame not to make the most of it by rushing to enter it if you're not prepared. I can understand wanting to enter the event in your home town, though - how about committing to the 2020 race instead? That would give you a good target to keep in mind and plenty of time to increase your base weekly mileage over the next few months, followed by a race plan for the months immediately preceding the race.