Manchester 2019

Comments

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    16 miles for me last weekend, 18 miles this weekend so everything seems to be on track (touch wood!!!) How's everyone else doing?

• I tore a calf at the start of January, so have been cross training since. This week will be my first full week of training since then. I don't seem to have lost any speed so hopefully 6 weeks training with a 1 week taper will see me through.

People who have done Manchester before, whats the start like? Do you self-seed into pens and is it congested?

• 23 km this weekend. Both my nagging knee and the Swedish winter seems to have given up so training is back on track. A few weeks ago I was about to change my finish time target but now I think sub 3:30 is still within reach. I just have to train smart, which is not the same as hard, during the weeks that are left before the race. :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-From what i remember you defintely self seed into the pens,plenty of room in them and starts on a wide road so easy to get into stride.
    Stockholm-you are spot on,training smart is not the same as training hard,your body will thank you.
    1:26:56 at Wrexham half last weekend was nearly a min PB and a record 62.5 miles this week puts me in good shape,last few weeks of training to navigate now.
  • Actual training is going pretty good... got 2 x 20+ miles done so far and mid week runs all to plan... 

Only issue are body pains mainly in right knee and tight calves ! ! 

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! 5 weeks to race day! 

It's been quiet on this thread lately! Anyone out there!?

How's the training going? The mileage, the long runs and long marathon-pace efforts? What were your goals and are you still on for it?

I'll start off.

My training has been almost perfect, except for a couple of weeks back when I felt a tight calf (the one I strained a year ago), so took that week easy. Other than that I've been averaging 60 miles per week for the last 2 months, 8x18 milers, 5x20 and yesterday's 22.  MP workouts are usually Wednesdays with continuous efforts up to 12 miles MP and every other long run (18 milers) including long MP intervals. My original goal for my debut marathon was sub-3. I think I'm still on for that, based on the training - but who knows what the final 10k will have in store....?

What about you? 
  • Sol2 - sounds like things are going well

For me Just under 350 miles this year so far and done a 20, 21 and 22 miler (this weekend) - averaging between 8.45 to 8.55 for them so well within my orignal target of sub 4 hours. 

Not done a half marathon and not entered one but did an undulating 10 mile race in January in 7.45 min / miles.

Overall training (avg weekly miles, long runs, intervals / tempos in week etc) is better than i have ever done for a marathon.

With 5 weeks to go starting thinking if i should go for quicker than the 4 hours. Any views on this will be hugely appreciated.

Only real issue is my knee but thats not got any worse in last 5 - 6 weeks so ignoring it too my peril untill after marathon. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jonny-Have you done a marathon before? Also how have those long runs felt,are they genuinely easy conversational pace?
    Sol-Thats sounding really promising,looking good at the minute.
    As for me,had a great week then caught laryngitis so no running for a week up to now,come at a key training time which is disappointing,just have to hope I get over it soon.
  • Ian 5... this will be my 5th. My best was 4.10 in 2015. Did Liverpool last year in 4hrs 20 but was struggling from mile 1 for some reason. 

I am averaging about 10 miles a week more than i have ever before as well. 

In terms of the long runs. Not been easy and been counting down last few miles down when running them but I am recovering pretty quickly so not killing myself.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jonny-when I first did sub 4 I was doing my long runs around 10m/m so if you've built up your aerobic base then you should be comfortably on for it,in fact looking at my training for my 3:11 I did my long runs at 8.30 so I'd suggest you're on for about 3:45,why not set off about 3:50 pace,then step up at half way if you're feeling good.
  • My training is going well so far, touch wood! I did an 18 miler on Sunday and the weekly mileage is ticking along nicely aside from a few days out of action last week thanks to a dodgy left foot. 

All seems well again now though. This will be my first full marathon so I am just anxious about getting through these final weeks without picking up anymore injuries. 

When I first signed up my goal was simply to get around in one piece and finish under 5 hours. My fitness has come on a lot since then though and I'm starting to believe I may have a sub 4:30 in the legs if everything comes together on the day. 
  • Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    Good to see some solid training going on, and everyone seems to be ticking along nicely! My weekly mileage is going well, Ive done a couple of 18 milers in the last couple of weeks, with two 20 milers coming up in the next couple of weeks! This will be my 7th full marathon, my last being Amstredam last October! Looking forward to Manchester now!!

• Glad to hear training is going well! I ran Anglesey half marathon last weekend and set a new pb time of 1 hour 44 minutes which was 8 minutes faster than my previous best so clearly all this training is paying off! Got a 20 miler planned this weekend on the Monsal trail so hoping for half decent weather as that will be my longest run to date!
  • a month today till D Day... whats peoples plans in regard to tapering?

Currently I am going to only go for 2 weeks.... just cos i do feel i lose fitness quickly and last couple marathons when i have done 3 weeks i feel i have under achieved what i was expectng,  also generally my legs do recover pretty quick anyway.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'll be doing a one week taper. Had around a month off with a calf tear so I'm going for a 6 week block of training with a one week taper. Hoping to still be under 3 hours and ideally close to 2.55! I did a 2 week taper for my last marathon and found that was perfect
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm going for about 10 days just to be awkward,just had nearly 2 weeks off with laryngitis and feel it's out me back so going to push as close to the race as I can,I generally recover well,and done marathons 2 weeks apart and felt fine so should be ok.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Hi all - this has come round far too quickly! Definitely feels like a much shorter campaign than previous years.

Going for a similar reduced taper as well to make up for some time missed due to illness. I need to fit in 3 more 20+ training runs at mimimum, as well as an all-out half this Sunday so I'll have to do some clever re-working of the plan. Next Sunday (17th) will be a key run with 8 miles warmup then a MP effort at Bath Half marathon. The other 2 20+ runs I think I should be able to get away with doing on the 21st and 27th March; leaving enough recovery between the 3.

Checked the start list and have been given pen A so need to make sure I don't go off to fast as I have in previous races and stick religiously to planned pace.

Good luck all!
  • Im in pen B, sure I put down 2.59 as target! 
    Anyone know if that will be a problem getting going / if I should jump into pen A with club mates (similar pace to me?) 

Sol2 good training 
    Stevie I'm going for short taper too

• Hill1Hill1 ✭✭✭
    2 week taper for me, will do my 2nd 20 miler this weekend and then see how things go!!
  • 2 weeks seems the common plan :) ... plan is  a 20 mile run on 24 March (which is a 20 mile race but will run as a training run for fueling.

Had a busy week last week so was only a low mileage week of just over 30 miles and 3 runs, but some niggles seem to be better :) (been averaging about 40 YTD)

This week planning highest mile  week of about 45 - 50 miles
  • WTGY - I’m in a similar boat, sub 3 target in pen b.  Given that 450 people went sub 3 last year from a 10,000 field across (I assume) 8 pens I had assumed sub 3 would all be in pen A.  I saw on their FB page that moving up or down pens wasn’t allowed.

FWIW re taper, my last long runs are 22, 17, 13 then 26.2.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I'll be going for for Sub 3 from Pen B as well so I guess we are all in the same boat! Hopefully wont be too much of a problem
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    If you sub 3 guys are in pen b I'll hang around at the back of the pen so I don't get carried away at the start.
    38:23 at Chester 10k yesterday,50 sec pb so happy with it,hopefully translates well for the longer distance.
  • Nice PB Ian5... I typically run my slowest mile of the race in the first mile so try and keep that in mind if you are a fast starter traditionally. 20 seconds behind at the beginning can equally minutes in the last 10k.

Wtgy informs me I am in Pen A. Must be new for this year. One thing all you sub3 aspirants will want to do is get in front of the pacer. Usually very busy and a bun fight for drinks stations.

I won't be taking it easy three weeks out but I won't run another 20 after this Sunday I reckon. This Sunday's will make it 10 20+ milers this campaign so I reckon my legs have become accustomed.

I reckon this Sunday will be the 3 hour run :( be glad when that's done and dusted. I can almost see the taper!

Keep on keeping on folks ..nothing too crazy now... Ice on the cake at this point.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Ian I'd second what Jason said. At Abingdon my first mile was 7.00 and I ran 2.55. Nothing to be gained at everything to be lost by going off too fast 

WTGY/Jason what sort of pace are you going to be aiming for?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Jason-10x20 is brilliant work,what is the amount you usually do?
    I used to go off too quick but as I've got more experienced I've gotten better.Hull and Chester I was just a couple of mins positive and Gran Canaria was my first negative split so hopefully getting the pacing better now.
  • really not liking the wind at the moment ! managed 12 miles in it yesterday, luckily was able to run down into a valley so got a bit of shelter for bit of it. 

Will see what can manage this evening ! 
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

after some dithering (because I've ended up with a London charity place as well) I've decided I am still going to run Manchester.

I got a PB last year (4.14 so slower than most on here) but will probably aim more like 4.40 this year so that I can manage London 3 weeks later.

That's with my sensible head on. Actually I would love to see if I can't push the PB a bit further but am concerned that I'd have a miserable London if I do that......

• Sol2Sol2 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great training going on - but about time to start winding it down... 

Despite the obscene weather we've been contending with the last couple of weeks, I'm ending the campaign with some decent training. Hopefully, I too, am on for sub-3.

Checking the start list, I too, am in pen B. In which pen will the 3-hour pacer be? 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Gladrags - in my mind 3 weeks is a good amount of time to recover for another marathon - also if conditions at London are super hot or super windy etc again, and give you no chance of a PB, will you regret not giving it more at Manchester? I suppose it all depends on how good your recovery is; Hal Higdon has some good "Multi Marathon" programs showing what to do in the weeks between to get the best results.
    Sol2 - good to hear training has gone well and you are confident for a sub 3. Website doesn't say which pen, but I would assume they would be either at the very back of A or front of B judging where everyone seems to have been placed. Shouldn't take too much effort to slide in with them either way I'd think.
    Jason - 10 x 20 is insane, nice work.

My result at London Half on Sunday I think puts me borderline for managing 2:59 in 3 weeks, if I take the wind into account it may look a bit more promising. Still need to get some strong mileage in my legs for the endurance and confidence. Bath Half this weekend - 8 mile run to the start then 13 @ MP will be a good test, if I can get through that I'll feel better and can celebrate with a few St Patrick's Day Guinnesses