The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Terrible weather put me off testing my navigation (lack of) skills around the Silver Trail route at Nant yr Arian yesterday so I did 5 miles of hill reps with 1000 ft of climb as penance. 

Running club 5k handicap in 18:40 on Wednesday night felt good but gives me a scary start position for the next one.

Great work everyone else...Great miles being logged.

273 miles YTD
  • 12.75 miles last night - grotty weather as for all.
    Not looking good for the Big Half on Sunday - will be the missus's first half marathon and more than four times the longest distance she has ever run. I am hoping she can stay with me as the 3:30 pacer given her PB for parkrun is 39 minutes.
    YTD = 491.75 miles
  • Good afternoon all, I should be running more given that the weather is perfect at the minute, 24 degrees and sunny this morning. But been busy so trying to fit it in. Should have been in Nepal next weekend but not def not going now. Will be back again in the future to ransom of their epic trails.

5.3 3.19
    7.3 5.69
    8.9 8.01
    9.9 5.90

YTD 361.79 miles

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    6 more miles today - 2 miles to go and get my lift, then Raphael parkrun, then a mile after being dropped off on the way home. Decent parkrun - 25:17 so 1 second slower than last week. Consistent at least. Unfortunately achilles did not like going up Raphael's sharp little hill three times so I hope it'll be OK tomorrow.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    3.5 rubbish, slogged-through miles today, gets me through 200 though. Hopefully tomorrow I will feel better for my long run.

201 YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Hobie 1495....Sounds like some serious hills for your 5' session! Impressive 5k time.
    Harmander....All the best for tomorrow's Half. Trust you have been learning lots of encouraging phrases to help your wife through this major increase in distance!
    Dubai....sorry to hear that Nepal is off. Your temperatures sound ideal, at the moment. Thought I was fortunate to be running in 12 degrees today!
    Cal...Great parkrun result. I would be having second thoughts about a Half tomorrow; what with your niggles and the predicted wind speeds (up to 70mph,Westerly on the coast here!)
    Andrew D...again, hope that you find some better weather where you are, or your long run could be a double challenge.

Today's run was a 20km 'guilt-trip' , fuelled by fish and chips (large) and coffee&cake (x2). Would have liked it to have been a rest day, but the weather forecast dictated that it should be a Saturday run.
    A 44' week, so ought to cut back a touch next week(?)     YTD:384'.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    MrM2 - it was blustery here, but not too bad thanks. Got 9 miles in.

Hope anyone racing this weekend did well! 

210 YTD 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have to say the half wasn't great for me. The wind made it very challenging (although it wasn't constant at least) but I also felt more tired than in the previous halves. That and Canary Wharf glitched my watch again, so I had a hard time pacing myself for the rest of the race as it was beeping a long way before each mile marker. It added .3 of a mile to the distance and gave me a silly mile time of 6.38 in Canary Wharf which I now have to expunge from my watch. :D
    Time was 1:55:44 so two minutes slower than Hampton Court, but it's still a minute faster than my PB from last year so I guess that's something. Well, it's done. Now I've four weeks to get myself right for Vienna.

YTD: 407 (ton up!)
  • Pacing for a 3:30 Finish was harder than  thought given the effort it takes to run/walk slow.
    Was a minute and ten seconds to fast at mile 1.
     2 minutes ahead at 3 miles, after getting the hang of it was able to make the adjustments to finish in 3:29:32 - I beat 'Er Indoors by 6 seconds - I could hear what I am going to hear repeatedly for ages for 3 and a half hours to come. 
    I cannot figure out why she took exception to me saying that if she tried harder for longer she has a chance to possibly get into the small finishers T-shirt she got by the time she finished as all others had gone.
    Am going to register the distance in my training section or else it would ruin my race times average.
    YTD = 515.05 miles
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Just a quick drop in to say Congrats to Harmander on his Proclaimers! Well done sir over half way already!
    My ankle has gone from grumbly ... to downright painful, so its a wee enforced rest for me. Back soon I'm sure.
    8 Mar - 3.4m
    YTD: 84.35 Miles
    Forgive any bad typing ... typing on the phone tonight.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, Steven - rest is definitely called for. Hope you're back soon.
    Harmander, I'd agree running at that pace would be difficult. A year and a half ago I walked The Royal Parks - I had a charity place but got injured so couldn't run, so decided to power walk it instead. Ended up around 2:58. A personal worst but I was quite pleased with my walking speed. I was walking past runners by the end of it.
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Parkrun, cold, muddy and my highest every finish (25th), I'm concluding that the poorer the conditions the better I do!! 4 treadmill miles and another turn around my 4 mile course in addition to the Parkrun

Cal and Harmander: Glad you had a good time at your half today. Well done to both of you in your respective efforts. Cal - enjoy Vienna, its one of my favourite European cities, enjoy the place as much as the event.

Steven: Hope the ankle improves very soon. I sense you've not really not going this calendar year, you will, hang in there.

YTD: 210.6
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done,Andrew and Donnie,on your 200.

Great 5k time,Hobie,very impressive.

That's my type of fuelling,MrM2.

Fantastic 500 already,Harmander.

Hope your ankle injury clears up soon,Steven.

8.03 - 10

10.03 - 6.24

YTD - 322.67

• Morning all, it's 7am and just home from a night shift and catching up on the forum with a G&T.

7.7 miles yesterday giving 369.4 to date.

Beautiful morning sitting in my garden listening to the birds singing.

Might run later, but first another gin and then bed..
  • Dubai runnerDubai runner ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    4 hours sleep and then 3.69 miles, faster than I expected

YTD 373.09 miles 
  • Afternoon,

Blimey this thread is still moving at a pace..

MrM2, Well done on some great training, nearly at 400, brilliant work. Just to answer you on the track marathon, a lot of people have posted that they had a sore "right" leg due to the continual bends, personally not me, but I can see why.

JD1, Well done on passing the 300 mile mark, as for me I have another planned 9 marathons and 2 ultra's for the year, I am sure that will change though, what about yourself?

Gipfel, Great work at the Anglesey HM, training must be going well.

Hobie, 18.40 for a 5K, blimey, not a lot I can say really. Well done.

Andrew, Another milestone passed, the long run sounded better.

Cal, Still a good time and as you say a minute faster than last year, you have got to be happy with that especially in those conditions. Well done and now over the 400 mile mark.

Steven, Hope the ankle soon improves, you are not having a lot of luck!

Harmander, 500 miles, great running as usual, well done for yesterday, sounds tough to pace to 3.30 as it is almost walking pace, did you jog and walk or try and jog really slow?

As for me a couple more runs to add, but injury has caught up with me following Friday's run, I managed to trip over a raised tree route and bent my right foot back, I hobbled for a while and then it seemed to clear, but as the day went on the more painful it become, I now have a swollen leg, just above the ankle. I am sure it will pass on its own, but to the pool this week it would seem.

07.03.19 - 8
    08.03.19 - 6.5

YTD = 323.57
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    David - hope the injury isn’t as bad as it sounds!

3 easy for me tonight.

213 YTD 
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Good to have so many contributions over the last few days.
    Andrew D...Well done on the 9'...and that Tempo pace a few days ago sounded quite tasty...sub-7.
    Cal...Great result for your Half, considering weather and niggles. Hope you get some good results from tomorrow's consultation.
    Harmander...Can't believe that you didn't allow 'Er Indoors' to finish ahead of you...with all those seconds to spare! (and can you wear a Small?)
    Steven M2...sorry about the ankle problems. Hope things will pick-up for you.
    Dubai...well done on keeping up the running with your shifts. When I was at sea I usually did 4 on and 8 off, but on the coast I often worked 6 on and 6 off, which made it very difficult to get the runs in.
    David C...glad that both legs were OK after your track Mar....and now you get injured on a tree root! Trust you will recover soon....ready for those '9 marathons and 2 ultras' this year!

Discretion wasn't the better part of anything today, otherwise I would have given myself some extra days before a 20' run. Knew it wasn't going to be an easy one with today's windy conditions, then I added some stiff climbs as well! Best part of 3 and a half hours...longest training run I've ever done. Will probably restrict myself to 3 hours in future, and on a decent day that would see me through the best part of 20' any way.   YTD:404'.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Mr M2 - 400 miles breached as well! My longest run this cycle was a 22 in 3 hrs 47. I'm not overly worried about going long if I have plenty of time to recover after.

David - argh. I've rolled my ankles a few times and it's never fun. Hope you feel better soon.

No running yesterday (just a 5 mile walk to the IMAX in Waterloo to see Captain Marvel) but I forced myself out for an 8 miler this morning and it wasn't bad. Windy, but nowhere near Sunday, fortunately.

YTD: 415
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Mr M2, great work on your long training run! What race are you training for?

Cal, that sounds like a good half result - the weather on Sunday was appalling. I read lots of horror stories of people doing the Liverpool half - some were saying they slowed down by a minute and a half per mile in the last 4 miles when they turned into a headwind along the prom :D

David, that sounds nasty. Hope you recover soon. Tree roots are a menace - way too easy to trip over when running! Steven, hope your ankle is better soon too.

Harmander, well done to you and 'er indoors. Can't believe you're over 500 miles already!

Pride comes before a fall (or before a rubbish run, anyway): after my pleasing half marathon result the previous weekend, I found Sunday's 17 miler a right struggle! I went out early so was lucky to avoid the strong winds, but the heavy rain (and snow for a good 2 or 3 miles) didn't help, and nor did the unavoidable deep puddles on the trail parts of the route. I was glad to get the miles in my legs, although the pace was slower than I would have liked. Will be heading to the treadmill for some delightful intervals shortly - the wind and rain haven't stopped all day here, so I'm not sorry I'll be indoors.

YTD 261
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bit of a rubbish run for me today too. I was aiming for double figures but cut it back to 8 when I realised how knackered I was. Achilles was shouting at me as well. For once I listened.

YTD: 423
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    No running at all last week, but swimming with this little friend in the Maldives sort of makes up for it! (Dubai is a very big airport, Dubai Runner, hats off to you who organises all those flights)

• Morning everyone,

I know we're well into 2019 already, but is it too late for a new member to join this thread? It would be a big motivator for me to boost my mileage. TIA
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Of course, Ollie. The more the merrier.
  • Welcome Ollie,
    What mileage are you on?
    and please don't say 990 lol
  • Thanks guys,
    Unfortunately although I've done a lot of running this year I haven't been logging my mileage. So I'll just start from this week.
    11/3 - 4.85 miles
    13/3 - 6.91 miles

YTD = 11.75 miles
  • Ollie,

Given you have 41 weeks left the pro rata  figure you need to aim for is 790 miles by 31 December.

My 12.75 recovery run (after walking the Big Half) makes my
    YTD = 527.80 miles

David Charman, I tried jogging very slowly for the first mile and found I was more than a minute ahead of schedule - so I walked the rest.  Bloody hard work but worth it as I couldn't hear a word the missus was shouting at me as the windy conditions against us helped take her noise away.
  • MrM2 I work 6 on 4 off, I've never worked office hours and hope I never have to!

SenidM yep Dubai is pretty busy, hope you weren't delayed too much by the current delays through Indian airspace as Pakistan has closed theirs. Wondered a few times about trying the Maldives, will at some point.

Welcome Ollie

Congrats Harmander on the 500 and MrM2 and Cal on the 400, I'm lagging behind this year and will miss some runs this weekend with the pending St Patricks day long weekend, the Burj Khalifa will be green and Burj al Arab green with a huge shamrock on the side. Lots of brunches and parties happening, will be enjoying some Guinness with friends at the Irish Village, a stalwart for the expats.

12.3 9.21
    13.3 9.18

YTD 391.48 miles

• Welcome to Ollie,

Harmander, I have a feeling one day you are going to get that slap - one day!
  • Thank you all for the congrats on my Proclaimers - love that song and it seems to be the one they are playing at the roundabout just past the 2 mile marker at the GNR whenever I run past it.
    David Charman, as long as the slap is followed by a tickle from her I am all for it. Oh, she has got to catch me first - never in a month of Sundays methinks.