Overpronate, but wear is on outside of my shoes?!

I've got quite flat feet, and have had my gait analysis done a few times, and always very obviously over-pronate. When I first started out running, I had a pair of very cheap neutrals, but on the basis of my first analysis switched to some Asics GT-1000 for some stability. The result was bad blisters on my arches and severe pain on the inside of my knee. The shop kindly switched me on to the neutral Cumulus, which I was very happy with. Last time round I ended up getting some Saucony Valor's as they were going cheap, and have got on OK with them (although I found them rather heavy). Saucony describe them as "light stability". But generally I've felt I should err in future towards neutral after my experience with the GT-1000s, and so I've just bought some Brooks Launch.

Anyway, I've never really looked very hard at the wear on my shoes, so it crossed my mind to do so the other day and noticed that the worst wear on my Valors is definitely on the *outside*, both at the heel and forefoot.

So, I guess the question I have is what weird kind of running do I do, seeing as I somehow overpronate (I'm confident that I do!) and yet wear most at the outside?! Also does this strange combination somehow explain the pain I had with stability shoes.

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It will be, because we land on the outside of our feet and roll inwards.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hi Matt,
    That does sound very strange. If you weren't so sure that you are definitely over-pronating, there would be an obvious answer! If you are no longer getting blisters and pain and remain injury free then I would stick with the neutral shoes.
    I have only had 2 gait analyses and they both concluded that I over-pronated. So of course I wore stability shoes and was getting injured fairly regularly. To be fair though, I think it was mainly down to over-training. However I did wonder if my gait was affected by running on a treadmill as I had never run on one before my first gait analysis!  I then spent a year or two building up mileage VERY slowly (a huge amount less than the often-quoted 10% rule) and have never looked back. Sometime later, I checked the soles of my shoes and they were worn on the outside! 7 years later I have never been back to a running shop and just buy cheap running shoes from certain supermarkets and run up to 1,000 miles per pair (not that I would recommend this approach to everyone).
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I agree with Cal & Gul; gait analysis is bollocks. Stick with trainers you feel comfortable in.