Wednesday 13th March 2019 - And when she blows the candle flame to smoke

Morning.

Lyrics - And when she blows the candle flame to smoke

You are a man of many talents Gobi. LOL.

Well it was another wild and windy night and this morning is wet. There is a potential dry windy this morning but the wind is forecast to be gusting 44mph+ which I don't think is going to be conducive to a run for me though I shall see how bad it feels when I'm out. May have to resort to the treadie though I'm reluctant to do so as I think it's going to exacerbate my niggles. This is getting tiresome now - no sign of an improvement in the weather for the rest of the week either.

What:           whatever I can manage/possibly gym
Why:            the clock is ticking
Last hard:    running in the wind/getting the miles in this week
Last rest:     27/1

Yesterday's lyrics - Wild Is The Wind by Johnny Mathis also covered by Nina Simone and David Bowie.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Wet, wild and windy here overnight also.

What: probably a short run, maybe the fitness suite

Why: trying to gradually get back to it whilst balancing the weather

Lyrics: no
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Haircut might give you a few miliseconds of aerodynamic advantage Gobi (as well as keeping it out of your eyes? - not knowing what you look like a wild guess).

Can't help you on the toe issues Wabo sorry.  I'm really glad these days that I didn't do the pointed shoe trend of my youth (long time ago!) and my feet are in pretty good shape compared to many of my age.  High heels?  Only if I can sit down a lot - my ankles tend to collapse and I just look stupid (drunk?) stumbling around in them.  With up to size 42 feet most shoes don't look very elegant anyway.  +1 to doc martens - haven't had any for years though.

Ouch to the skin treatment OH. 

Back to windy weather here chicksta but I made the most of it yesterday. 

Bugger off wind for everyone! 

What: 10 miles amble planned for later, bit short on time so I might cut it short
    Why: last chance for a longer one this week
    Last hard: the last two mins of yesterday's intervals (20 + 16 LT)
    Last rest: 10.03.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Hazel, I have never been able to wear pointed shoes due to the fashion of brogues when I was a teenager telling my feet are wide!! Lol
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    I dread to think what my size 13s would look like in high heels...
    OH - that sounds nasty
    Like Gobi, I sleep like the dead, so any overnight mayhem passes me by!
    LmH - shortest we do is 600s and this is a loosener as quite a few are running Fleet or Reading HalfMs this weekend. Then its back to 800 - mile reps

What - Steady lunchtime miles
    Why - recovery
    last rest - 21/01
    last hard - Yesterday
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    gobi what can I say about the shoe thing!!! lol
    Hazel enjoy your amble
    Chicksta I have had those hoka shoes recommended  by another person with stiff toe so I am going for it, impetuous I know!
    My podiatrist said it can have come about due to trauma to that toe, well it suffered a lot of trauma when I first started xctry because I was always hitting tree roots and falling, that foot most often responsible. TBH i just think it is something I have for whatever reason! Gets worse as you get older....
    LMH I spoke to my physio and he gave me some advice so potentially he will help a bit.  I did know your lyrics as this was the first song that sprang to my mind but it was played at my late husbands funeral, think I blanked it, massive Bowie fan he was
    LMH enjoy what you do manage
    alehouse have a good short run and fitness

what: 80 mi ns later with some threshold stuff, oh joining me for 20 mins at the end
    why@ schedule
    last hard: sunday 
    last rest: 31/12/16

have  a good day all
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: 3.3 km run 1.30 walk 1 min
    Why: had to take hire car back
    Last hard: driving up the M40 yesterday. Torrential rain from Uxbridge to Warwick. Lorries driving erratically and dangerously
    Lyrics: nope

Wabo at least you have a diagnosis now so can think about how you can manage it.
    Oh hope your head is feeling better.
    Have a lovely day all
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    lyrics today no
    emzap spot on, gosh I bet that was not a  nice ride!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha

What: climbing on the watt bike d&d 
    Run PM
    Why: the only day this week I can effort around recovery and prep for next race
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: October 31st
  • I hope I didn't trigger bad memories for you Wabo.

Makes sense Dustin.

I would love to be able to just shave my head - unfortunately OH doesn't even like me to have short hair.

Glad you made it back safely emzap.

Horribly windy here - I was struggling in places on my walk with Grace and then literally blown to a standstill in a couple of places on my walk (gave up, stopped my Garmin, turned my back to the wind and waited for it to subside a little) and was then nearly blown off the pavement into the path of an oncoming car, that raised my HR I can tell you! Hope others have better conditions.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    LMH no of course not! I think I just thought it is the only song I know that does that and decided I was wrong
    Nice pic Gobi!
    LMH glad you made it back safe!!
  • I often wonder how much hair some of the top atheletes carry around.  Doesn't it slow them down a bit?

Your windy is stronger than my windy then LMH.  Mine over lunch was runnable but hard work.

Nasty driving conditions emzap. 

I was tempted to turn for home as I reached the turn-off after 5 miles but I kept going for the full 10.  I put my route together so that the stretches into the wind were regular but not too long which helped. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Gobi said:

I wore stilettos for 4hours straight when I went to Rocky Horror
    … and looked damn sexy in them :)

I wrecked my feet by wearing high heels for years on end which is mighty stupid considering I'm already 5ft 8 with no shoes. But I kinda liked being taller than lots of the men around me.

Well done all of you braving the elements.

em: I hate driving in such weather. Note to all white van men and lorry drivers: being reckless does not make you a good driver!

LMH: My OH is the same. We settled on shoulder length hair. I wish it was just short so I didn't have to bother with a hairdryer and all that crap.

wabo: Hope you find some Hokas that suit you. I get really good mileage out of mine. First pair is over 800 miles and still doing ok on shorter runs. Second pair is now approaching 500 but still springy enough.

I had enough of the stupid wind today and did an interval session on the treadmill. Nothing from the P&L plan but a workout a mate from my Sub 3:30 WhatsApp group did with his club consisting of a 5k warm-up gradually increasing speed and then 3x3k at HMP with 800m jog recoveries. I was done after 1k and very nearly canned the whole thing but then I gave myself a stern talking to and completed the set. 16.1k or 10 miles in total. Epic sweat fest but strangely rewarding.

What: see above
    Why: need something to keep me busy on the TM
    Last hard: that was
    Last rest: 3/3
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    You scrub up well Gobi ;-)
    You know I can't unsee that now though....

• Falls off chair laughing.. (but not of the nasty type I hasten to add).

Thanks everyone - been a bit of a tough day and this thread can do a lot to cheer me up!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    dustin, don't look!!!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    That was slightly terrifying Gobi! 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I do my best 
  • OMG That was totally scary and you can not unseen it that is for sure.

I think I missed a few days but have been running so that is good .Weather not as bad as predicted for us thank goodness.

I actually look worse with short hair and have always had long hair apart from 2 occasions when I went mad and had it cut short,I could not wait till it grew again so lessons learnt.

I am sensible no nasty toe pinching heels with pointy toes here;-)

What:5.59 miles run back on hilly route
    Why: Because I stopped in village for Banana's;-)
    Last hard: Virus
    Lyrics: it is a yes from me

Last two morning a very fast run from me I think I have someone else's legs so if you are missing them they are with me in Wales :#
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression