Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Great info BigG :) Good to get an insight in to how you achieved that amazing time! Thanks.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Khani - I got my LT tested on a treadmill at Surrey University. I'm following the principles of it, by running my easy runs very easy, but putting in some "work" at LT pace as per the P&L/P&D schedule I'm following.
    I'd like to do CW50 one year! It looks like a great race.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    1SteveMac said:
    Khani - I got my LT tested on a treadmill at Surrey University. I'm following the principles of it, by running my easy runs very easy, but putting in some "work" at LT pace as per the P&L/P&D schedule I'm following.
    I'd like to do CW50 one year! It looks like a great race.
    Ah cool - Once/if I get fit I might get that done. Have the P&D book - but never managed to follow it due to laziness, disorganisation and injury :) 

I'll let you know how the CW50 is if and when I run it. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you might at some time want to do periodic Hadd tests as they are a great way of assessing your progress with HR training and seeing if you've managed to push your LT threshold up.  For now just doing the Hadd test at the, say 3 or 4 lower HR's, will be enough data for meaningful comparison in a few weeks time.

Khanivore - I don't do off road events.   But I think Robert, who is on this thread, has done or certainly knows about that race.   He's doing jury service at the moment so only has time to post at the weekend.  He's very knowledgeable about the Centurion events.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Shades, have you heard anything about Gloucester City Marathon?  I dropped them an email about a week ago asking if it was happening, and have just sent another one but haven't heard anything yet.  I know we got a complimentary entry to Forest of Dean due to last year's cancellation but we also got a transfer to this year's event, didn't we?

Edit, I had already looked on the Gloucester City Marathon site and it doesn't look like it's been updated since last year.  I've just looked on the associated Trimax Events site and there is no mention of this race, but their other events are listed (including Forest of Dean).  Looks to me like it's not happening...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't heard anything from Gloucester either. Yes, we are supposed to have free entry for 2019.
    I wonder if they're still battling with the council over the course.  
    There was never much activity on their website anyway.

I haven't got an alternative marathon for that weekend should Gloucester not go ahead so I'll probably do Sturminster Half instead. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes maybe it's something to do with the council again.  It's a shame if they're having issues again, but it would have been nice to have an update from them either way though.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Khani-i'd totally agree with big g,2 years ago I was over 4 hours,I've just added easy mileage with 1 hard hilly loop every other week and I'm down to 3:11 now.No cycle I've averaged more than 45 miles per week yet,for me it's all the easy miles giving a great aerobic base.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Khani-i'd totally agree with big g,2 years ago I was over 4 hours,I've just added easy mileage with 1 hard hilly loop every other week and I'm down to 3:11 now.No cycle I've averaged more than 45 miles per week yet,for me it's all the easy miles giving a great aerobic base.
    Amazing! Who knows - maybe I CAN get 3.30 in a couple of years :) Lots of easy miles - here I come!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Big G - I don't think there's a lot of point emailing us unless they have definite news about whether Gloucester will go ahead or not.   If they did a generic email say they hope the event will happen, some will start making arrangements, hotels etc and then will be angry if the race doesn't happen this year.
    I did google to see if I could find any press releases about it but no luck.

I'm doing a race in Gloucestershire this weekend so I might ask a few local runners there if they've heard anything about it.

Khanivore said:

Amazing! Who knows - maybe I CAN get 3.30 in a couple of years :) Lots of easy miles - here I come!

Khanivore - you can if you really want it, as you have the capability. :)   I know you're a very busy person but it will take lots of regular running, 6 days a week.   If you stick around on this thread that alone will remind you to get out and run. 

6 miles today, should have been a Hadd test but no chance as we have very windy weather again, yet another yellow warning for the wind.   I bumped into a neighbour as I was going out for my run, she was talking about how bad/dangerous the wind was and then asked 'are you really going to run in the rain' :o  She's not that bright, does no exercise and I had to explain what Pilates was to her one day :#
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I might do some HADD tests at some point, like you say at the lower heart rates for comparison purposes. Good idea not to do your HADD test today in that wind!!
    Khani - Like everyone else has said, yes it's possible, lots of easy miles to build that aerobic base.
    9 miles with 18 & 14 minutes at LT pace today, wasn't looking forward to it with the weather the way it was (windy and rain!). However, got it done. 18 mins was at 6:22 average pace and 14 mins was at 6:34 average pace.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I saw an advert for a new Garmin watch earlier and abscent-mindedly clicked on it to see what it was about.  £1399!!!!!!  Apparently it's a "Modern Tool Watch"....
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/633625
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - £1399....what!!!! I'll stick with my 935, which was already pricey!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    That Garmin is really ugly too, at that price I'd want something a lot better looking.

I think my Garmin might need replacing soon, I've noticed a couple of times lately a little condensation inside.   Very happy with the model 310XT, the newer models don't offer me anything else that is of any use to me, price for a 310XT now is £99.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would never pay that - it seems Garmin has lost the plot abit.  I just had a click around and the "athlete" version isn't even the most expensive.  This "driver" version of the watch is £2250!!  Bonkers.    If someone was into watches, they could get a decent Swiss watch, a Garmin Fenix and still have change.
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/608665

I use the Garmin 230 and I see the 235 is about £160 so if mine broke I'd probably just get another one of those.

Well, as for me, no running since Monday as I've just been too busy, and then too tired.  I've manufactured a couple of hours free this afternoon, but I'm too tired now as well!  But, the new house is done in terms of the decorating (with the exception of the kitchen) and my place is all packed up and ready to go.  How I ever thought I'd be able to move myself with the help of a couple of mates, I don't know. Very glad I've got a removal firm coming on Saturday!  I've said it before, but I'm just not used to the manual work, so it's knocked me about a bit and my running has suffered.  A real thumbs up to those who have manual jobs and still keep up the training, as after just a couple of week I'm done, but I'm really pleased with how it's all looking which is the main thing.

Still not totally finished as I need to spend some time on my place next week....
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:

Khanivore - you can if you really want it, as you have the capability. :)   I know you're a very busy person but it will take lots of regular running, 6 days a week.   If you stick around on this thread that alone will remind you to get out and run. 

Not so busy these days as I lost my job a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking for a new job but I'm using the time to run too :) 10 miles at a junk miles pace done today (I'm the first to admit I was going too fast or too slow depending on how you want to look at it).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the 235 would be my next choice if I couldn't get a 310XT.  It has an HRM doesn't it?

That's great news that the new house is ready and you're all packed up ready to go.  It's a lot of work and as you say we're not used manual labour.  Last time I did any decorating was when I had a sprained ankle and couldn't run.

Khanivore - so sorry to hear you've lost your job.  But the next job may be a lot better and I'm impressed that you're using your free time usefully by doing your marathon training.  

I don't endorse the term 'junk miles', it's valuable miles in the bank.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, mine is the 230 which doesn't have a wrist-based HR, but you can pair a chest strap to it with no issues (I've paired one from an old 305 and 405).  As far as I can tell, the 235 is exactly the same watch but it has a wrist-based HR.  I know the chest straps are better, but from a very quick Google just now the 235's seemed to be cheaper than the 230 but I didn't look that hard so I could be wrong on that.  The 230 does everything I need (and probably more) in terms of the usual HR, pace, configurable screens etc, plus I've got a (free) app on it which allows me to map out a route in advance.  It doesn't actually display a road/feature map, just a line of the route, but it's fine - I used it just the other day to get from my hotel to the Southampton parkrun.

Khani, sorry to hear about your job :(  I hope you find something again soon.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't want a wrist HRM but when I last spoke to Garmin guys at an expo they said that a chest HRM can be synced with those that have the wrist HRM.

I don't think my eyesight would be up to following a route on my Garmin. I like the 310XT as it has a big screen.

I contacted Steve Edwards about Gloucester City marathon as he lives in the area, he hasn't heard anything but in his opinion it won't go ahead.  Hope you get a reply from Trimax soon.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I remember checking to make sure the 235 also pairs with a HR strap. I didn’t get it as at the time it was about £50 more than the 230. But the wrist sensor I think would be handy if someone used the watch as an activity/sleep tracker, which is why I was initially tempted. If they are now cheaper than the 230 I’d get the 235 instead if my current watch broke. 

Shame about Gloucester then. Trimax have a Facebook page and I messaged them via that yesterday - they’ve read the message but not responded, but I’ll let you know if they do. It’s not looking good though, I don’t think. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G- well there could still be hope for Gloucester, if it was a definite no surely they would have replied straight away.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Pity about Gloucester,when I seen it was down for August it was one I considered,were they ones who had a race a few years ago and no one heard from for a while?or is that someone else
    Steve-Great pace in those conditions.
    Khani-Sorry about the job,hopefully you find a fix soon.
    Not been able to run the last 2 days for a few reasons but got out for 7 after work today,pretty tough in the wind,and tomorrow's my only option for a long run so will see how that goes as it's still down to be pretty bad.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that was a different race organiser, Beyond Limitations, they did have a marathon in Gloucestershire earlier this year and they organise Boddington marathon too.  Boddington might be an option for you should you need it but could be hot as late June, fast course, multi laps.

If the weather is awful tomorrow then just shorten the distance, nothing to be gained having a tough time battling the conditions.

I had a bad run today and cut the distance, was blaming the weather but now I have a bit of a sore throat so hope I'm not getting a cold, RHR has been slightly raised last 2 days.
      I have a 20 mile race on Saturday and forecast is rain and winds up to 47mph, but it's 3 laps so should be some shelter so still intend to run unless I do get a cold.
  • Options
    Ian, unfortunately no bike, however its about 15 miles but no facilities to change/ shower so that had ruled any thoughts of run commutes and cycles.  Ian looking at your training you're training enough to be aiming for a PB!  Need to be positive and start thinking that you are a sub 3 runner it will happen!

Shades the enforced rest could be a good thing, No internet access in the courts, no nothing there really.  I have the forerunner 235, not used it too much yet due to injury but HRM seems to work well, I also have the 220 (i think) which I had a chest strap for but never used.

Shades/ Big G FYI I paid £150 for my forerunner 235 from Amazon, they have flash sales from time to time so just need to keep an eye out.

Big G shame about Gloucester marathon, I felt that their offer of FOD and a transfer to 2019 was generous at the time, I wonder if they knew there was a possibility it wouldnt go ahead.

Khanivore, I was very tempted to sign up for CW50 but as I still have my Plantar Fasciitis and the entries sold out I gave it a miss I'm already doing WW50 this year.  Pals describe it as 1st 15 miles are very runable then alot of climbing for 15 miles then more hills, people say it's one of the more beautiful runs.  In terms of gels as shades says the 20 mins is rubbish and just marketing sales patter. I too use high 5 at Manchester marathon last year I started at mile 5 then popped one every 3 miles (24ish mins) total of 7 (3hr32) which I think is exessive but worked for me.  I use them to portion up the race.  Personally I feel one every 30-40 mins is more than enough.   

Foot recovered quickly after sundays half, hasn't run until 3 slow miles this evening.  Not going to push anything for the next 10 days until I've paced LLHM.  Court case still on going, trying to get my head round I could still have another 6 weeks to go!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-I am aiming for a PB,I've never even considered sub 3 as a slight possibility until the last month or so,still think its a way off but if I can get gfa at manchester then I'll target 3 at Frankfurt with 6 months to get it.
    Shades-Just had a look at that as an option and they've cancelled boddington due to lack of entries.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Khanivore, I was very tempted to sign up for CW50 but as I still have my Plantar Fasciitis and the entries sold out I gave it a miss I'm already doing WW50 this year.  Pals describe it as 1st 15 miles are very runable then alot of climbing for 15 miles then more hills, people say it's one of the more beautiful runs.  In terms of gels as shades says the 20 mins is rubbish and just marketing sales patter. I too use high 5 at Manchester marathon last year I started at mile 5 then popped one every 3 miles (24ish mins) total of 7 (3hr32) which I think is exessive but worked for me.  I use them to portion up the race.  Personally I feel one every 30-40 mins is more than enough.   
    Not sure I like the sound of all those hills lol :smile:

Yeah - i'll prob take one every 40 mins. Cheers.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - you're the only person I know that has ended up doing a long stint of jury service.  It must feel quite isolating from your normal life.

Good that your foot recovered quickly from your half marathon.

As the Glos City marathon race organisers had battles last year about the course I guess they know that getting council permission is always going to be tough.   I do hope they do manage it, but unfortunately there are some councils that don't want the disruption, other councils embrace having such an event.

Ian - I think Boddington would have been a tough ask for a GFA in June unless it was an exceptionally cool day.   It's inland so no cooling breezes and no shade.   I can't believe they've cancelled the event, many runners don't enter their events as they have a habit of cancelling them so leave the entry until last minute and sure that the event will go ahead... and then they go and cancel again.

Khanivore - we'll have to change your attitude to hills.   Hills will strengthen you and improve your running.   I used to bully Ian into doing hillier runs and now he even drives to Wales to do very hilly long runs.

Once you've recovered from Paris, introduce a regular midweek hilly run and you will start to enjoy them   I would suggest that you enter a hilly marathon  in the summer as part of your ultra preparation.   

Rest day for me today, RHR still raised but sore throat only slight and no cold so hopefully I'll be fine for tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert/Shades/Ian, probably they knew they were up against it with the Council, but their email from last year seemed promising at least as they said "The good news is that the Head of Highways for the council has offered his full support to work with us to ensure that the race goes ahead in 2019 and also that the start should be moved back to the City Centre which has been a cause of much disgruntlement lately.  We will also be working closely with the UKA to ensure it is once again a fully certified and qualifying race".  Maybe it'll still happen....we'll have to wait and see.  I'll keep that weekend free anyway.
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I hope you manage to avoid the cold. Having a rest day should help hopefully.

I don’t ‘hate’ hills that much - I just recognise that they destroy me :) I will definitely include that hilly session once a week. It will just take some organising as I cant do that running out of the door. I’ll have to drive 15-20 mins.

I’m looking for trail marathons to do over the summer. Have seen one that looks to be a good fit - the Salisbury 5,4,3,2,1. Are you familiar with it? I was thinking of doing the 50km option. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm still keeping that weekend free too, I'm hoping no news is good news.

Khanivore - haven't done that race, I think Big G has done the marathon.  Don't think it's hilly though, might be undulating, but still a good choice if you can't find a hillier one.