VLM 2019

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Triple marathoning eh Rodeoflip!  As I'm a V60 now I couldn't possibly contemplate such excess ;).  You did well to grind out the sub 3:15, hope Manchester goes well for you too.  I do have the York marathon in October as it's my local and incorporates the masters championships this year. 
    Prince.. I have no idea how VLM will go, my best times are from 10-15 years ago so I just set off and do my best these days.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Wardi - I'm a tight Scotsman so I see it as getting three marathons for the training effort of one. From experience, as long as I have a minimum of three weeks inbetween each then I should be fine.

Given the more stringent GFA times for London from next year, and the fact that they've capped the male entrants at 3000 (most GFA runners were male, so "equality" makes it much tougher more men than for women to get a GFA place now), this will probably be my last London marathon, so I can't not do it!

• Eh Wardi 3.40 in the Vets does not sound at all shabby to me!!
    Good luck to all racing and long running the Weekend.
    I've downloaded the pace chart for 7 mins. Time to get focused
  • As in 7.00 to 7.59 lol
    No idea what shape I'm in
  • 1.37 on a windy course
    Really took it out of me

Anyone have an idea of what pace I should try the full at?
    Double half plus 20 mins?
  • Prince1979,

There are 'rules of thumb' but they are very general for first timers.

5 km time x 10
    5 mile time x 6
    10 mile time x 3
    1/2 marathon time x 2 + 10%

as examples.

More experienced runners (and paces) can keep the same pace throughout - indeed some can run negative splits.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.
  • Oh, forgot, much also depends on the difficulty of the course too.

VLM is quite flat and consistent compared to some other races.

The rest depends on your training.
  • HS2 that is very helpful. Thanks so much. I'll think on it a bit more
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Prince.. 1:37 for a half should see you 'comfortably' under 3:45 (maybe nearer 3:35) assuming you've done the necessary mileage in the build up.
  • Thanks Wardi.
    I see you have a good bit of experience  I definitely like the sound of a 3.35 😃😃
    I'm doing between 44 and 48 miles a week.
    2 more 20 mile runs to go . 1 in the bag 
  • @Prince1979 i only hit 1.40 in last build up and did a 3.29. if you have done the longer stuff, you could easily convert to a sub 3.30...

anyone receive their registration letter yet? i changed address & concerned mine will go missing!
  • Christine5

Telephone 0207 902 0200 and tell them.

Not received anything yet but you might want to call them sooner rather than later
  • thanks Harmander. changed my address online more than a week ago - figure they may not have gone out just yet if no one else has received theirs! 
  • Nope, not heard anything yet and wasn't expecting to till the last week of March at the earliest - this will be by email. 
  • ah great. i just read somewhere that they post registration forms - and you need those to register at the Expo. so can this be printed from an email?
  • Yes, I've read it that last week March we receive the registration pack via email. We have to print the registration form off, take that with id to the expo for our race pack with bib, etc. The VLM website where i read this seems to be down for maintenance at the moment - will post back the link later. 
  • thanks portlanders! can hardly believe it's so soon!! 
  • Quick update on my progression from injury, saw an osteo twice who said it was a suspect quad sprain and general tightness. Over 2 weeks of rest i ran yesterday for 10km and felt fine. 

Had a hospital appointment early this morning, which was next door to the sports physio dept. As it turns out they got my referral wrong, so have to re-refer me... very apologetic they were. But as we were talking i mentioned the pain in left leg i had been experiencing, that i am running the London Marathon, and only wish i could see someone for a check-over to make sure everything is ok. To my surprise the nurse led me next door and got my seen by a sports physio, least we can do for your wasted journey.. bless her, so kind. So sports physio took less than 10 mins to assess i have weak hip abductors on the left side i've been having the problems...when doing single leg squats, the left knee turns in, right knee remains straight. So this is the cause of all my troubles. They gave me a resistance band and list of exercises to do. They can't put anything on the system as not a scheduled appointment, and not meant to see me, but I have an appointment booked in just over 2 weeks time to go back.... God I love the NHS sometimes, or rather the people that work for it....... got me thinking though, being just the left side, i wonder if this is a result of running on the roads, and the effect of the camber on the road... anyone had something similar?
  • GipfelGipfel ✭✭✭
    Portlanders, glad to hear you are coming back from your injury - and what brilliant timing to get to see the sports physio! I've not had anything quite like that, but I did have knee pain that stopped me running for 4 months a few years ago and, when assessed by the physio, I was doing something very similar to you (knee collapsing in). I was diagnosed with weak glutes on that side and given lots of exercises. Fingers crossed, it hasn't come back - so I hope you will get yours sorted too!

4 weeks to go! How is everyone doing? I had a bad flare-up of tendonitis (front of leg for first time ever - no idea what brought it on), which was a bit concerning as it felt quite extreme - with the marathon being so close, I decided to see a physio after struggling with it getting worse for a week. I have since iced, done various exercises and cut back on mileage last week - and (fingers crossed again) it has eased off nearly as quickly as it came on! I just have to decide what 'long run' to do this weekend now, as I have been told by the physio not to go crazy even if the leg feels fine - so I will probably not go too far, but I am hoping to get in one more 20 miler the following weekend.

Really looking forward to receiving all the race info - hope it comes very soon!
  • Am sure everyone got this today but:

Final Instructions

A link to the Final Instructions for the 2019 Virgin Money London Marathon will be emailed to all runners by early April. The Final Instructions contain all the information runners need to have an enjoyable Race Day.

The Final Instructions – for both UK runners and international runners – will also be available to download on this page.

All runners need to attend the Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show prior to Race Day to register.

Registering for the Virgin Money London Marathon

Ahead of Race Day, all Virgin Money London Marathon runners must register at the Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show to collect their running number, timing tag and kitbag.

The Running Show takes place at the ExCeL in east London. Check out our Visitor Info page for more details (including opening hours, who's exhibiting and how to get to the venue).

If you do not register at the Running Show you cannot race.

The registration form

You will be sent a registration form in early April with your Virgin Money London Marathon Final Instructions – please check your junk or spam folders. If you haven’t received your registration email, please contact helpdesk@londonmarathonevents.co.uk with your full name and date of birth.

You must print this email and bring it with you to the Virgin Money London Marathon Running Show along with your photo identification (for example, your passport or driving licence) in order to collect your runner number, timing tag and kitbag (see below for more info).

• Not had that e-mail, should I be worried?!

Hope everyone's training is going well. Did 23 miles today after managing similar a couple of weeks back. Hopefully do another long run next week before I start tapering.
  • That's great to hear Gipfel, that it went as quick as it came. For me my problems returned. As i said previous ran 10k and fine, rest the following day, then went for a 4 mile which started off bad, like i had lead weights on the soles of my feet, after 3 miles it went and i was quite happy breezing along the last mile.... walked 1/2 mile home no problem. after stretches and shower I sat down for a while, went to get up and upper left leg seized. That was yesterday, today still feels tight, so resting again...grrrr so plan for another week off, but will be doing brisk walking as much as i can. Priority is to get to start line, and run slow till the end.... unless the physio in 2 weeks time says different. Deserve this medal after all the training, and going to fight till i get it. Doubt i'll ever get another chance. 

Just seen the email Harm, thank you - new start times with the elites starting at 10.10, I guess it's been 10am in recent years. I wonder if the change is the same reason as to why they did it in F1 from last year - their race starts use to be on the hour, but now 10 mins past - this was for international tv coverage - countries like america start programmes with 10 mins of adverts apparently, so previously missed the 1st 10 mins of a race.

Should get the final instructions next week then, as long as it's not Monday - April Fools Day!!
  • Gipfel, as for how training is going:  I have already done four marathons this year with another on Sunday.  After that I was supposed to do Manchester the following Sunday but because I am attending an awards evening on Saturday 6 April where I have been shortlisted for an 'British Army Unsung Champion' award I am having to miss Manchester - it was too late to defer or transfer.

This is what it is all about:

Hope you guys vote for me please.

I have surprisingly been nominated for and made the shortlist of three for the award of 'British Army Unsung Champion' category of the BEDSA 2019 that will be held on Saturday 6 April 2019.

I am just following the request below to promote my nomination - if you think I deserve it, please share with others who may think the same.

I will continue following my passion regardless of the outcome and wish the other two finalists the very best.

Thanking you in advance.

If you could promote your nomination on your social networks suggested tweet and hashtags below with finalist images attached

‘Delighted to be selected as finalist for @Britisharmy Unsung Champion award at the prestigious @sportingequals @bedsaoffical

Vote for us at  www.bedsa.co.uk

#SportingEquals #BEDSA2019

Our social media accounts are:

• Incidentally, I have been invited to be a Panel Member at the VLM Expo on Saturday morning discussing diversity in running - so that is when you can avoid me if collecting your running numbers. lol
  • That's fantastic Harm, congratulations on the nom, just looking now and can see you are in a shortlist of 3, well you got my vote, just doing it now. 
    Doubt i'll get to the expo till lunchtime Saturday, but if i did get there early will make a b-line to see you first. 
  • Thank you portlanders, all help is welcomed - ask others lol

I am on 9:15 to 9:35 but will stick around to scare people.
    I am also there in the afternoon of Thursday at the New Balance Run Hub to help answer questions on pacing.  Others in the pace team will also be there every day.
  • Sorry Dave but have managed to loose contact number anyway picked up paperwork you left at the Bucket for Roger and canceled hotel in London rebooked Croydon and saved 70 pounds decided to drive up on the Thursday night Friday morning providing the old landie makes it hope to meet you at the exhibition for a couple of shants all the best Jolley
  • Portlanders frustrating about your injury. But as you say start line has to be the goal now .

HMS congratulations on the nomination. I am not in London until midday unfortunately.

@Christine5 thank for that information. I did a second 20 mile yesterday and averaged 8.40 a mile. Not sure I could get that down to 8 mins so fair play to you
  • Was worried at not getting the e-mail that was sent last week, so contacted the organisers to check all is OK.

In their reply they said the final instructions/registration e-mail was likely to come out on Thursday this week.