Paris Marathon 2019

Comments

• Seems like there were quite a few of us doing the Big Half at the weekend. I took it steady and clocked in at 1:50:45 so just need to hope my leg holds up! Well done to everyone who raced - it was blowy!

Thanks as well for the medical cert chat/advice. There may be a friend who can sign it for me. Was quoted £100 to go private (which my doctors advised me to do), but that just seems ridiculous when the only info they’ll have is a basic check up - way less info than my actual GP has... guess it makes more sense in France if you have to have an ECG. 
  • I have just chased up my GP and they want me to come in for a blood test in 2 weeks time!! Well at least they are taking it seriously! They said they had checked their insurance and apparently they need to have checked my blood pressure once in the last 5 years! Now to googling how to get ones blood pressure as low as possible......
    it seems the inconsistencies are a joke and the GP’s should sign these forms, They should only refuse one if they have direct individual medical grounds to do so after a medical. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Certaintly a pain this medical cert stuff.  My GP just did a heart rate test which he said he should have done years ago, signed the cert stamped it and took more time sorting out the £40 'fee' which he said he felt slightly guilty asking for as this was a tax against people being and trying to be fit, which I told him it was.  All uploaded and approved anyways, and jeepers 30 days to go! 
  • andyc209 said:
    Going to try a walk in centre - felt really angry about the way i was treated - sat in a waiting room full of no doubt regular visitors with yet another cold and the first time in years i need help from a GP i get turned away - maybe if they stop pandering to the Google educated antibiotic hooked regulars they would have more time to help someone who tries their best to keep fit so they DON'T have to use their services.
    Luckily my GP takes the opposite view - "Why would I get in the way of someone trying to stay healthy?"

Without condoning the practice, I know of people in the past who've signed their own, either 'borrowing' a scan of someone else's and altering in Photoshop or buying a rubber stamp and illegibly scrawling a signature (for extra medical authenticity)
  • StephenLT said:
    I have just chased up my GP and they want me to come in for a blood test in 2 weeks time!! Well at least they are taking it seriously! They said they had checked their insurance and apparently they need to have checked my blood pressure once in the last 5 years! Now to googling how to get ones blood pressure as low as possible......
    it seems the inconsistencies are a joke and the GP’s should sign these forms, They should only refuse one if they have direct individual medical grounds to do so after a medical. 
    Be aware of 'White Coat Hypertension' - a well evidenced phenomenon that increases blood pressure in the presence of a doctor, their own Heisenberg effect. If your top number comes out too high, tell them it's WCH and ask for a mobile kit to take home. That will allow you to take BP in non-stressed circumstances, and give them the average over 3 days
  • Course update: it is with regret that I can confirm that, whilst miles in the Park of Doom are reduced in 2019, the course change just misses avoiding the short cobbled section. It's not too bad and if you hadn't just run 21 miles, you'd probably not notice it!
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Do we have to dodge those cars as well? 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    That course change sounds good news...just been for my last LSR for Paris with a mate who ran it in 2015 and he recalls hardly a soul being in the PoD.  I don't really mind such relative peace and serenity, sometimes the noise and racket of a big city marathon can become a bit OTT.

Also see they do a kiddies race on the Saturday afternoon around the Eiffel Tower, so my 9 year old will now also be running Paris for the first time! 
  • Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Rudi said:
    LSR?
    Pod?
    OTT?
    Long Slow Run (the funnest part of the joy of winter training for a spring marathon)
    Park of Doom (Bois de Boulogne, the virtually empty final 5 miles through a park-cum-forest thing)
    Over The Top (British idiom from WW1 - "an inappropriately excessive amount of effort/ detail")
  • RudiRudi ✭✭
    Thank you very much. I’m in the loop now.
  • andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    went to the local walk-in centre and they also said they could not do it as no doctors available. 
    seems i am left with very few options - might have to start emailing every GP practice in Staffordshire
  • RammpantsRammpants ✭✭✭
    Where is a good point to have supporters? In terms of... easiest for them to get to from town centre (young child in tow) and best for me to be able to spot them to at least wave, even better to offer a big sweaty hug (ew!). So it's not necessarily the best viewing point in terms of being a spectator, if that makes sense. Thanks!

Sorry to hear from all those who are having trouble with the medical certs. It does really seem fairly obvious that the NHS should be sparing a few minutes to help people keep fit. Shocker.  
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @Rammpants I think an easy spot is near Bastille - not by the actual monument as that gets busy but the Rue de Faubourg St Antoine (or with the route changes, probably Rue de Lyon too) - they'll have plenty of time to see you, then get a coffee and see you again on the way back - perhaps along the river. Someone on here sent me a supporters guide which I'll PM you.
  • Carol4Carol4 ✭✭✭
    Hi. I thought I read somewhere that we receive a confirmation email that is sent out about a month before the Marathon. Is that correct and if so has anyone received one? 
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    @Carol4 - You should get a notification that your convocation letter is available to print, normally that's a couple of weeks before the race. You need that convocation letter to collect your bib at the expo. You can always check if it's available yet by looking at your profile on the website you signed up to the race.
  • Would someone be able to message me the supporters guide too please? Wasn’t sure I’d have one but now the sister is coming along :)
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    @rachaeltoon just sent the supporters guide over to you
  • Could I also have the supporter's guide as well please? Many thanks in advance! :smile:
  • RammpantsRammpants ✭✭✭
    mentes said:
    Could I also have the supporter's guide as well please? Many thanks in advance! :smile:
    Just sent it over
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Webby4216">Webby4216</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><a href="https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/profile/rachaeltoon" rel="nofollow">@rachaeltoon<;/a> just sent the supporters guide over to you</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks! 
  • Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    @Rudi done, in your inbox
  • So 3 weeks to go this coming weekend! Planning to do my last long run Saturday, hoping to run 21 at marathon pace. What is everyone else’s training plans this next weekend? 
  • > @Suzanne Taylor 2 said:
    > Am a bit nervous that if I make an appointment (which on average you have to wait 2 weeks for at my doctors) and then get told no in that, then I only have 3 weeks to sort something else out. Am thinking I should ring round other local doctors, find one that will do it, then move practices!
  • My race number is 37024 and should be the purple pen.I'm sure there will be a Forum for "Berlin 2019" anybody else going at the end of Sept.
  • Oh,forgot to ask.What is usually in the Paris goody bag.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I can't recall anything particularly exciting in the goodie bag. One year is was a small bar towel, another year a head torch, can't recall what it was at other times. That along with the usual assortment of leaflets and samples.
    Actually pistachio nuts. There was always a small bag of those in the bag.
  • StephAStephA ✭✭✭
    @StephenLT I can't quite believe its time for final long runs this weekend - I'm going on Sunday for 20, with the final few miles at marathon pace, then its taper time - no doubt maranoia will start setting in for us all (if it hasn't already)!!