My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, more or less the same pace as you, Will! What's your target for MCR?
    alipat, sounds like a comedy of errors! But you got it done and in a decent time. Hopefully that's all your bad luck done and dusted before the big day.
  • Good work getting those miles in alipat. They're banked now! With you on the taper front. Well ready for it.

I'm aiming to finish in 4:30 as a first target, Cal. I think I can probably sneak that nearer 4:20 if all goes well. 10:00-10:10 m/m should be doable, but as it's my debut marathon who knows. The crowd and the adrenaline might spur me on to sub 10:00 for some of it, but we'll see. Really looking forward to it :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Hello. Newbie here. Well done on your runs Cal,Will and Alipat. I'm training for my first marathon (Brighton) in 4 weeks time. I managed a very slow 20 miles last week in the wind using run walk method so did 10.47 mmp. Went out today, did 4 miles and it was a struggle. Reading your posts has made me feel better in that I'm not the only one getting read for the taper and the big day! Good luck with the running and shoe hiding 😉 
  • Good luck Will, those shoes sound great! A little scrolling back reveals they are Saucony iso 4 triumphs?

I like my Sauconys but am after a cushioned high mileage model, and am thoroughly confused as to whether to get Ride, Triumph, Kinvara, or Freedom. Any thoughts? It is helpful to have a real "review" from an actual person.

Nothing of interest to report, did my local Pegwell parkrun, 22:34, it was busy and muddy after the rain. There were 80 odd "couch to 5k" runners doing there first 5k under the watchful eye of Thanet Roadrunners. Great to see and good on 'em.

Tomorrow I start from again with a 10k! A fairly measly distance, but will be my first "proper" run since the injury fiasco. model

Hope everyone has a good week.
  • Hello and welcome, Daisydoo! Great stuff getting through your 20 miler. I'm sure you'll enjoy Brighton - it's rather ace from all I've heard. Embrace the taper :)

Linton, I'm now on my 3rd pair of Triumphs. I'm 6ft 1in and 14st 7lbs, so a largish chap, and need a good bit of cushioning. I love the Triumphs. Superbly comfy and last me at least 350-400 miles. I've used Ride as well and liked them too, but would defo go with Triumph.

You will all be pleased to know that Mrs Will now knows about my new shoes. She returned last night from a Grand Slam weekend in Cardiff, in a suitably good mood. I hadn't lost the kids and had got all the washing done and dried, so it seemed a good time to confess! Her response: "Well, it gets you out of the house and keeps you sane so what's another pair." Phew :) 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    😂 Will. Mrs Will sounds like a good woman....rugby and shoe acceptance. I have the same with my other half. He sneaks bikes and bike parts into the house. Mad cyclist and runner. Our house is festooned in Lycra! He's done the Brighton marathon twice and says yes the crowd support is great. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Daisy! Good luck with Brighton and well done on the 20. Always helpful if your other half shares (or at least understands) your hobby.
    Will - I guess she'd rather have a trim, fit husband than a fat one!

Rest day for me - got a massage and had a little walk on the common. The evil swan is gone! Either they managed to catch him or he's flown off.
    All the Egyptian goslings are doing well and are getting pretty big.
    Struck up a conversation with a beginner runner who had stropped to stretch so educated him on the joys of parkrun and got a big sweaty hug in return.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great running everyone,you're all hitting your targets.You can all enjoy your taper.

Perseverance is a massive part of running,alipat,especially in the winter months.

Glad you're happy with your new Saucony's,Will.I use their guides,always happy with them.Bet Mrs Will is in a great mood after the Grand Slam,maybe order another pair of Saucony's,can't have too many.

Welcome,Daisydoo,good luck with Brighton,couple of clubmates are running Brighton,going to make a long weekend of it.

No running for me over the last few days,haven't been getting home from work until 7,then my girls make me feel guilty even if I look at my trainers,so back out tomorrow.

• Nice and busy on here at the moment :-)  I need to read back over the last few days after a weekend away and dealing with a crashed server at work all day - but after a quick skim read I can see there has been a good weekend of running going on. 

Welcome to DaisyDoo. 

Glad your ankle is improving Linton, I like the car comparison.

Hope the shoes have turned up today Alipat. 

Did manage to sneak out for a run earlier despite the work situation:  7 and a bit miles with 2 sets of strides thrown in.  Still a bit breezy here.  Legs appreciated the 3 days off running.  No wildlife spots but did enjoy the sight of some heavy showers all around - they all missed me fortunately.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Drizzly 6 miler this morning. Nothing interesting to report, other than it's light early now. Of course, the clock change will knock that back a bit two weeks from now.

• DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Morning Cal...yippee to lighter mornings. 

I set off to do 5 miles as my knee has been niggling but ended up with 8 in the bag so buzzing. Just looping round the park and streets. Some very happy people out there today....I think it's the sunshine and no wind! The magnolias are looking beautiful. 

Have a great day all. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I do love the mags and blossom at this time of year, Daisy. It makes me happy.

• enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    Hi All, long time no run! After my 18.4k I took a couple days off, then felt rough, had a business trip and finally came down with the lurgy. Had my first work day off for about 7 years and generally didn't get out of bed for three days. Ideal prep when my first Half is next weekend! So this morning I delurgeed and ran a leisurely 3k. Woohoo.

Well done alipat, love the determination in your run. I wouldn't have copied my dropping your bottle under a vehicle trick though! Good luck Linton, well done Daisy and others I missed.

Any thoughts on what I should do between now and my run on Sunday?
  • Great running everyone. It is so much more pleasant runner now spring is in the air!

Hope you are better in time for your half enrvuk, good luck everyone with their training.

My 10k went okay. I was recording consistent 8:40-8:45 minute miles, then my app lost it's satellite and went crazy.  That said, that's something like a 54min 10k, nothing to be proud of but could be worse. A little sore today but not hopefully not in a concerning way.

There is a big local 10k near me this weekend.  I may enter as I've never been in an "event", a new experience. Although I certainly won't be troubling anyone with that time I may get a Jaffa cake.
  • No Magnolias quite out yet in Norwich. We are a bit slow to latch on here. A lovely warm stroll out on the beach at work yesterday though + saw 9 Shorelarks. First taper run tonight - just a 3.5 miler to shake off the long run from Sunday. Nice to feel the pressure taken off me a bit now, but have noticed a few little worries creeping into my mind. Maranoia???
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Magnolias are lovely Daisy, I used to live near a park with many of them and enjoyed walking there when they were in full bloom. Hope the knee is ok.

Sorry to hear about the lurgy enrvuk.  You probably won't have lost too much fitness by it and you can't catch up on training now pre HM.  A couple of leisurely runs is a good idea - if you go out on Friday you could do a few strides or a mile at your intended race pace. 

Have a go at the 10k Linton if you have never done a race - why not try it out and see if you like it.  With a time like 54 minutes you will likely have a lot of people finishing in front of you but plenty behind as well.

Grr - not at all jealous of your beach Will.  Enjoy the taper!

10 miles for me yesterday evening - partly solo, partly with my group.  My right achilles has been talking to Cal's achilles and is grumpy but improved after a couple of miles.  I also need to keep an eye on my left hamstring.  Surprisingly niggly at the moment, hope I can run through it.  Was a nice outing nonetheless - setting off at sunset and progressing into a lovely clear cold evening with plenty of stars.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad you are over your lurgy, enrvuk. I'd keep it light and easy for a few days and maybe do a few strides Friday or Saturday to wake the legs up. You've got the miles in the bank so there's no sense in trying to push yourself at this stage. Consider the cold an enforced taper.

8 miles today for me - achilles less grumpy than yesterday, fortunately. I did two warm up, 5 at MP then one (and a little bit) to cool down. The first of the MP miles felt quite tough and was about 15 second slower than I wanted, but it was slightly uphill and I was still warming up I suppose. After that I got into my stride and the rest went well.
    Nothing of interest to note, although I am still enjoying the blossoms and daffs. I've seen a few flowering bushes I don't recognise, if anyone here has a horticultural bent. No leaves on them yet, just large, star-shaped flowers in white or a purplish pink. (Much, much bigger flowers than jasmine, with more petals. Deffo not magnolias or camelias which are also about at the moment).
  • No idea on the shrubs I'm afraid though I did take more notice of the ones I ran past a while ago.  The one magnolia I saw is thinking about starting to flower but if it is sensible it will wait a day or two as there is a nasty cold NE wind at the moment.    Otherwise a lovely clear day for a run here.  Needed a good one after two days of stress due to a server at work crashing and then waiting for a restore to be done without knowing if it would work (fortunately it did!).  7 and a bit miles - a bit overenthusiastic against the wind.
  • Good running Cal and Hazel. I hope the niggles remain as just niggles! 

After 2 very needed rest days, I was glad to get back out on the road tonight. It was weird being out in the warmth. Was around 15 degrees out there this evening! My legs were feeling nice and light so I decided to go out and attack 4 miles (using the first mile as a warm up). I had a feeling I was on for a new fastest mile so I pushed for it and I was right, hitting 7:09. A whopping 20 seconds quicker than my previous best! One day that sub 7 minute mile will be mine, but for now I'll settle for that.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Alipat - yeah I think we've turned a corner - it's definitely milder, and certainly a lot lighter. Well done on the mile. I never go that hard on a training run although I'll push myself each week at parkrun, and use that as my speed work.
    I did an early run today (just before 6) and decided to wear just a T-shirt (and my running tights, obviously...). Hands were cold for the first couple of miles but I warmed up pretty quickly, even though it was a recovery run and I was plodding. 6 miles done. Rather niggly again - I do feel them more after a rest day.
  • That's a great fast mile alipat -  nice one!

Nice plodding, Cal. One of my favoured techniques :) 

After a couple of days' rest, spent thinking 'Have I done enough?' 'Shouldn't I be out there running?' 'Will I make it round?'. I got out this morning for a reassurance run of 10km. I'm running with my Dad on Sunday in his debut race, a nice trail 10km in the forest, so popped in 3 miles at decent 10km pace, finishing in 57 mins. Our target will be sub-60 so looking forward to seeing my Dad pin his number on. The family will all be cheering us on, so should be a good day. Legs are feeling solid, if a bit stiff, so going to get the roller out. Am trying to get some core work done before mara day. It's mainly consisting of dropping down at random moments to plank for 30 secs. Better than nowt I suppose!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • enrvukenrvuk ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who prefers the cold weather. I always run in shorts and thin t-shirt no matter how cold it is. My best 10k and 5k in training were both done at around 4-5c. I dread the heat and will probably join a gym for July-late August.

Thanks for the advice everyone, just finished a 5k last run before Sunday's half. First part was leisurely as intended, but realised the second half at 5:35/k pace was quicker than I meant. It was all a little harder post-lurgee (I am still a little chesty), but I'm glad I did it. Sunday will be a little less daunting than it would have been. Missing 9 days of running will temper my speed, which might not be a bad thing. My target is 2h5m, where I was starting to consider going for <2h.

Good luck with your Dad on Sunday Will, I am sure it will be a great experience. I am trying to get my 77 yo Dad to do some Parkruns when he is in the country. Good plodding Cal and a nice mile time ali! Hazel, well done on the server restore!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I prefer cold to hot, enrvuk, so long as the pavements aren't icy. I do wrap up when it's cold but my tolerance is a lot better since menopause kicked in. Conversely, I am rather unhappy when the temperature goes above 25 degrees, and I'd rather run in temps of 15 or below.
    Good luck with your weekend races, folks.
  • That is a good mile time alipat.

Cal - haven't you done a track mile race in the past?  Don't think I ever want to try one - they might be over relatively quickly but I don't like anything much faster than 10k pacewise - hurts too much.  I agree on the niggles after the rest day.  Do you walk a bit on those?  Might help?  If I remember correctly you don't cycle - good alternative though as you can move your legs without the pounding... (access to a home trainer / gym by any chance?)

Ah - familiar taper thoughts Will.  Looking forward to hearing how your Dad gets on in the trail race.  Good luck to him.

Add me to the "prefers cold weather" list enrvuk - you can always add layers but at some point there isn't anything left to take off in hot weather.  Good luck for your HM!  

Yesterday's run: 10 miles with LT intervals.  WU, 22 mins, 4 mins recovery, 18 mins, CD.    Very pleased with the results as I managed a pretty constant pace during both intervals.  Lovely late afternoon / early evening.  Multitudes of dog walkers but all with two and four legs were well behaved.   Out later for a short recovery which I need after sitting at my desk most of the day so far... 
  • Good luck for anyone racing this weekend. 

Will, that should be awesome getting to go round with your dad. Not many people get such an opportunity so I hope you enjoy it. 

I went out for a nice and steady 10km this morning. Running conditions were pretty much perfect. Around 9 degrees, overcast and the finest drizzle you could ever imagine. 
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Linton,that's a good 10k time.Give the 10k race a go,you'll love it,I promise!!

Good luck for your HM,enrvuk,hope it goes well.I prefer cold weather training as well,just as long as it's dry though.

Nice speedy mile,alipat,bet that hurt!

Best of luck to your Dad and yourself,Will.Looking forward to your race report.

Great consistent running,Hazelnut,as usual.

Legs feeling heavy all week,don't know if it's the circuit training on the Monday,it's very competitive and I'm pushing myself to keep up with the young dudes.Did hill sprints on Wednesday but just couldn't get my legs going.

8 miles along the canal this afternoon,very busy with walkers and boaters.Spotted a grey heron,no doubt will  have a beady eye on this years ducklings.

• Ah good luck to yourself Will, forgot that, sorry. ;)

Nice canal run JD.

Sluggish recovery earlier, a bit short of 4 miles.  Strange legs, they didn't hurt but the quads were refusing to fire for the first half so my legs felt they were about to give way a couple of times.  Felt ok by the end though. 

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut - my club organises the 5Ks of Christmas - some 5K races around Battersea track. They're divided into potential finish times so the slowest race (mine!) goes first and then the really fast peeps are in the last race. I've done that twice.
    The mile race is the Sri Chinmoy mile relays so you're part of a three person team. That is on the very flat roads inside Battersea Park but not the track. It's brilliant fun, though.
    Well done on your LT session. Not surprised your legs feel a bit shot today, though!

Well done JD and alipat. I enjoy seeing herons - they appear on the Tooting pond every so often. There's plenty of fish in there.

After yesterday sluggish and uncomfortable recovery run, I wasn't sure how parkrun would go but I ran an absolute blinder at Osterley and smashed my PB. 24:39 - only my second run under 25 and the first this year. I'm super happy with that.
    Osterley is really lovely - a National Trust property in west London with fields of Jersey cows and a stately home. There's an incredible 84 year old, Alan, who runs pushing his wife in a wheelchair (she has Parkinsons). He was a little over 40 minutes doing that today which is amazing. We (me and Cammy, the lady I get a lift with) had the pleasure of getting a coffee with them both after. I hope I have his energy when I'm that age.
  • Ah that was it, I thought it was a mile rather than 5k you had done.  That is a great pr time, I like your ability to get PBs over a whole range of distances.  And the bonus of a nice location and interesting participants as well. 

I found out the hard way today that two days are not enough between the LT intervals and a 14 mile progressive run also ending with some LT miles.  I had to press the reset button at around 8 miles with a brief walk and a drink (carried in my belt) and was tempted to can the run.

Decided to at least do the planned distance and got going again.  Was able surprisingly to build up some speed again over the remaining few miles to finish with one km at LT at least so salvaged something.  Warm day around 18 degrees, was surprised how few people were out along the river.  Saw a few shoots of wild garlic, that will be everywhere soon.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    P&D can be a bit much at times. I don't follow it but I do use it for inspiration. I did laugh at the fact the first run after what would have been my 20 miler last week (I did 21) was 8 miles with LT. Uh, no. Recovery run for me.