Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Deffo Reggie, wasn't reading it as next time, but I fear you can't think too "long term" the more the years build up.

The time I hit 75:41 for instance, in theory i "should" have been able to improve on that, but stuff happens. Sometimes things align on the day.

However, with a 78xx pb, it's infeasible that you won't smash that down. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    AG; Pretty sure the key for you to realise full potential is not being injured and also having a good 6 months or so training and racing regularly. Running would need to stay priority over the other disciplines for a while longer too. Your Po10 is still very shallow compared to most on here, so lots of potential and plenty miles left in the legs even if SG thinks you're over the hill ;)    
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    welcome birch
    excellent racing going on this weekend.

Pete- 4 secs off a PB in less than ideal conditions, wow. Fantastic. those shoes really are magic!  cant wait to try mine on for the first time in anger in a few weeks.  regards england, you might still get selection depending on if those ahead of you applied or not.  So fingers crossed.

Reg - as always a very good race with an asterix next to it....which should read can go much quicker if focused on just running.  but you are also strong on the bike so i get the split focus.  I wouldn't worry about becoming a v45, it not the death sentence some would believe it. still possible to run fast. :smile:  I do share the belief you could get a 72/73 but would you give up the bike and swimming to get it?

Joe B - top man this weekend.  absolutely smashed it.  left enough on the new PB so going sub 75 next time will feel good too.  And you will go sub 75 :smile:  Also the weather was far from ideal so all good things to come.

Muddy - loved the start at the back style, must be good to get that first 20m'er out in a strong time too

Simon - knocking 42secs off for wind?  im guessing it was never behind you at any point then :wink:   Cant believe your race is sunday.  seems to have come round quick all of a sudden.  I will be watching on the live stream.  Crespo is in our races.  he has run a 1.57 800m the other week, so you have to put him away early, get the pace going and run the legs off them. 

im in taper mode now, last 2 sessions done 10*400 in 64secs ave & then on friday night 6*600 in 98sec ave.  im very happy with them...just got to avoid catching anyones colds/sickness now. :smile:

• Top work in Gloucester Muddy - nice & controlled run there. 

Likewise Simon, really hard to push solo like that, bodes well for Poland. 

Thanks Dean. Nice to have the last sessions in the bank, get the cotton wool out now and avoid who even starts sniffing anywhere near you.

Appreciate the confidence Pete. I think 72 might be a stretch, but I fully believe I've got more to come. I need to stop messing around on the bike and in the pool if I want to really make some bigger gains now. I probably enjoy running more than anything but still have the triathlon bug. Another ironman in July and then I'll see where we go from there.

Legs feel surprisingly fresh today, 8 miles were actually really enjoyable. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love Reggie to smash it, as it'd mean he'd not had any injury woes.
    And of course age per se isn't the deciding factor. It's more potential, and years in the game.
    I'll do well to reach 40, let alone 45 for instance, while others are putting their finest work in 40-45.

Reg is a realist of what he can do. He suspects a 72:xx is a stretch.
    A sub 75 is a good challenge, and that's still a 3:30 gain needed.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    ps Muddy - huge mile week, and a good end with the 20. Sounds like you're going well.

Joe - with your mileage, and capacity to withstand the mileage on your frame, there's no reason at all you can't get Sunday's pb right down. How far is anyone's guess. I think you're really well suited to the longer stuff. Doing 8 miles fresh the day after is incredible! My next day would only ever be a 3mile tight hobble out.

And again, hate to "dream kill" anyone.
    For instance a guy at our club has just got to 1hr 18, and thinks he's fairly maxed out or can perhaps take that just about sub 1hr 18.

I can't see for a minute how's he close to maximised. He has ferocious 200m speed, has good capacity to do marathons, but perhaps just lacks the will to really put the boring stuff in month after month, year after year.
  • Cheers Stevie. I was tired week before last, and the mileage this week has been a response to that tiredness dropping away. 

Dean - I forgot to congratulate you on the gold medals, but I am kind of taking it for granted now. I think I may have watched that 800m on a tiny window within FB ? I wasn't sure what age group I was watching but someone let off a big kick on the 3rd lap ... I am tempted to facetiously ask if they are real gold, given how much masters athletics costs to participate in.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    :smile:   realism....pffft!  thats just a handbrake on ambition.  you think Einstein would have invented the lightbulb with an attitude like that...or Issac Newton inventing apples.   
    Aim through the line, not at the line 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Must be where I'm going wrong. It's always the line I'm looking to collapse over, not just beyond the line  o:)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Simon - you at the 12 stage relays Sunday?

You've probably done it before, but any summary of the MK course? Seems to be a 4.5mile job long leg.

Presume no-one else is turning out? Joe, with his team there, but too many personal races yourself , and other southern guys probably not being in teams who even go?
    Or others in other regions perhaps.

Not sure if we'll get top 25. We have some big guys out (as in not there), and I "think" we only came about 21/22 or so 2 years ago with arguably a stronger 12.
    Impossible to judge though, as it's pure lotto about who turns up. 
    (I'll try not to wonder about whether the "prize" of then having to turn out on the long leg of the gruelling Sutton Park course is actually a reward or not :D )

Just looking forward to a good day with the team, hopefully put a decent shift in, as more so than ever before i can feel the confidence ebb if I haven't turnedout for a while - which in 2019 is a mere 1xXC and 2x1 mile, so this is a perfect way back in.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have no doubt that I have the tools to do something like 1:12 but it would be insane to expect such a different result without a substantial change in approach. to paraphrase something Einstein actually said.
  • Cheers All - Dean, yes the aim is a sub 9 time trial- the others can do what they like (so to speak) but that's the plan anyway, head down job. And it did feel a roughly 16 job Saturday - you know what it's like in the wind, you tend to coast a little when you have the wind behind you..and lose time overall. So probably lost 10 secs with the wind behind on the 2nd lap..and the rest of it into the gale. The finishers behind wanted 60 secs off - I talked them down a bit :)

Muddy - Yes, this is definitely my last overseas V45 foreign jaunt. Saving for a Australia family holiday in 2021 anyway. Next will be...

https://world-masters-athletics.com/news/gothenburg-2022-wma-outdoor-championships/

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Go all in then reg. Change what needs changing and give it full beans.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Lots going on here, been reading but not much chance to post.

Massive congratulations to Dean on the double gold, really impressive! Hopefully that bodes well for the Worlds

Really impressive HM times by Joe, Reg & Pete at the weekend in less than ideal conditions. I'd agree that 1.12 is possible for Joe & Reg. Sounds stupid but I always think believing you can do it is a big part of it!

Was interesting reading the thoughts on Easy run paces. Interestingly my easy paces are the same now as when I ran 3.22 at London (I was obviously going to fast then) My philosophy is that I can't run too slow on easy days and that it means I can do the big 10k paced sessions and 10m tempos as I haven't tired myself out on the easy miles. Most of the time I'm running 2m/mile slower then HMP.

Had a really good week of training which has massively boosted my confidence of sub 2.55 in Manchester.

Fartlek on Tuesday of 5,4,3,2,3,4,5 mins with 90s recovery at Marathon Pace. The 5s & 4s were at HMP and came out at 6.21, 6.18, 6.20, 6.18. 3s and 2s were at 10k pace and came out 6.01, 5.52, 6.01 so pretty sharp. Recoveries were all 6.45-6.55, overall the session felt really in control. Followed it with 5k with the club as I had finished just as the club night was about to start. Nice to run with people for a change!

Did 18m yesterday with 2 x5m at MP. Really happy to see it come out and around 6.40 at slightly lower HR then pre Abingdon even including the second section being into wind.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    In that case then SW, 72 is way too modest! How about 70 or quicker then? :D  But obvs I get that limiting yourself only goes one way, but perhaps more short term goals is my preference.

Nice little variation of the pyramid there.
    Moz used to like a 40-45min session alternating between HMP and MP, albeit with the MP being 10-15secs slower than the HMP rather than an achieved pace within a marathon. Those were always demanding when the zone had gone up!

It's those tempos I always have to force myself to do these days. I suspect that a 5-6 week block starting at 6miles 6-6.10ish sort of pace, ending with the above session is what it'll take to get "properly" fit by my standards, but it's always been my least favourite type of run.

Tomorrow i'll probably do something like 4x200, 4miles MP, 4x200m. Get geared up for the 4.5mile relay leg at the weekend.
  • Stevie G said:

Young guy at Datchet for instance. Already done a pair of 78/79s over 4 weeks, doing a 3rd half this week. Did a 5k yesterday and gave it the "Marathon Pace" line about today.

Result? Pb, low 1.18 :D

It is what we always say: aim for a bunch of races and not a single race. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but not generally with halves!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I dunno, the Wokey/Reading double seems to be a great one, some improve at Reading and some surprise themselves at Wokey.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I took 37secs off Wokingham to Reading in 2015. But that was with the "magic" of having the "elite" place :) (having got the sniff that there was an "actual" time for getting the free place, not the "quoted" one. (Year after Samir blagged in off a 1hr 20 then put in about a 1hr 45)

I say magic, but really more "fear" of coming last, which blokes wise was obviously a close one.

In 2011 I also did the double, but had such a stonking one at Wokingham I managed to put my back out, miss a week off work, and that utterly derailed things and put in 90secs slower at Reading.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Right, back to the sesh then, and back into the "Least favourite" domain of tempos.

Bookend to spice it up, 4x200m, 4m, 4x200m.

35 for the 200s, and all 16 laps at 1.29 or under. 1.25 for the first lap as adjusting to the right pace. Decent.
    Probably am capable of more than I think at the moment.
  • Stevie G said:
    In 2011 I also did the double, but had such a stonking one at Wokingham I managed to put my back out, miss a week off work, and that utterly derailed things and put in 90secs slower at Reading.
    Confirms the point. If you have one race the stars all have to align. If you have a bunch then there is more chance of them doing so but also you get the odd thing such as one race may be windy so you cross it off as a not-PB effort and so relax and actually it comes out faster.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Although in the above example the relaxed version came out slower?

But yes generally under Moz there would be say 3 races per key peak block. Generally 2 would come out top notch and one might have a disclaimer or two.

Of course what serves as a disclaimer now maybe wouldn't have done back then! Wokingham pb in 2013 for example was a right windy wet day, which these days would be maximal disclaimer fare :D 
  • When was Samir by the way? I think I may of joined this happy band after the Samir business.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    2014 was his peak. Leading the Reading half for half a mile,, despite having some sort of niggle the absolute maddest part. Trawling in at 90mins eventually.I have a great pic of him, me, Lit and a guy who used to post as either Mr I, or Mr Anonymous, and took great pleasure pissing about with the scripts behind the scenes in the website.

Shame he seems to have binned it completely as he had really good potential.
    4.51 mile at Ealing - which can't be the fastest course with the couple of bends.
    16.26 parkrun
    27.29 5mile

77.17 half at Ealing 6months after his Reading half disaster too.

Could have been excellent.
  • Stevie G said:
    2014 was his peak. Leading the Reading half for half a mile,, despite having some sort of niggle the absolute maddest part. Trawling in at 90mins eventually.I have a great pic of him, me, Lit and a guy who used to post as either Mr I, or Mr Anonymous, and took great pleasure pissing about with the scripts behind the scenes in the website.

Shame he seems to have binned it completely as he had really good potential.
    4.51 mile at Ealing - which can't be the fastest course with the couple of bends.
    16.26 parkrun
    27.29 5mile

77.17 half at Ealing 6months after his Reading half disaster too.

Could have been excellent.
    I'd argue those statements. He was a 19/20 year old running a 16:26 parkrun which is about 80% age graded. 80% is definitely more than handy but it is hard to say if he had the ability to go faster or not. Some people just have natural speed and it gets them so far but they cannot go beyond that, others will turn up and train well and respond to training and get progressively faster. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    He did a low 77min half on the piss about a year in.

It's pretty unlikely he wouldn't have smashed that going forward with some sensible training and injury luck

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    scott was always better than samir.   both had troubles....one with his arse the other because he was an arse :smile:

Simon, samirs thread was a golden age for this forum.  by far the greatest thread to ever grace these boards.  it had everything.  Pavement PBs, overdressed tempos, PB attempts hindered by firework fumes, collector plates, surprising over achievement, crushing disappointments. 

I agree with PMJ, Samir was an average runner.  nothing to write home about.  In our club alone we have many many better teenagers who have better potential or were already better than him. and im sure thats replicated across most clubs.   I bet the reason he quit was because he found that out that he wasnt destined for rio olympics after all
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I still think Samir's post on negotiating pavement blockers took some beating.

Clearly a man on a mission in training, it was something along the lines of, 'Only the other night I came up behind this couple blocking the pavement, lovey dovey, gazing into each others eyes, holding hands...

Weren't fucking holding hands after, I tell yer'.

Another decent session SG. I'll get something down myself tomorrow.

Currently only running every third day. Mainly enhanced recovery but also since it fits in with the cross training. 

Just came back from a short outing on the bike. Strava reckons I averaged 206 Watts which is a record of sorts for me. Converted to running it could be handy.

The man himself - Samir

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Strava really has no idea how many watts you laid down, unless you have a power meter, Ric?

Surely Samir wasn't as good as Colin.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    forgot that one ric, classic samir.

whilst he was a figure of fun...i believe he was in on the joke and played upto it most of the time. 
    He seemed a decent chap.