Anybody else run/walk aka "jeffing"....?

Hello....I am currently training for my first marathon and after recurring issues with my hip and lower back (v old injury sustained before running) and I was finding that straight running left me very sore and stiff in my back. I did a half marathon and ran all the way barring drink stations and was in agony at the end. 

I then read up on the Jeff Galloway run walk method and I've got up to 20 miles doing 3 min run and 1 min walking. I've not lost much in the way of pace but I am not in pain so all good. 

The question is....how do I do this safely in the marathon without causing issue to others by running then walking bar starting near the back and keeping to the side? Any advice would be fab please as I'm very nervous about the big day! ☺ 

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    1stly, Galloway method is one I've used in ultras and can only say good things about it. I found 4:1 suited me best after trying 10:2, but if 3:1 is working for you that's fine.

2ndly, in a race, Yes, start at or near the back, and in fact you could start using 1:3, i.e. walk the 1st minute and then start jogging for the next 3, and carry on like that. It may be a bit depressing watching all the others disappear off into the distance, BUT, take it from me, you will start passing people, probably from about half way as they start to flag and you just trot on.

3rdly, you will probably be just as quick, if not quicker than trying to run the whole way, especially as a 1st timer - very few novice marathoners actually run the whole way - most run out of puff around the 20 mark - but you should be fine.

Good luck and hope you have an enjoyable run.
  • DaisydooDaisydoo ✭✭✭
    Thanks senidM! That's made me feel good....I sort of feel like I'm "cheating" but I know it isn't really 😂

I tried doing 4 and 1 but it wasn't working for me so did 3x1 for my 20 mile run last week and even though I was shattered I wasn't distressed. And I was running into a strong headwind so I wasn't getting anywhere quickly regardless.

Thanks again for the advice ☺ and wow ultras! I think that's not happening here.