Sub 3

Comments

• You say "there'd be no reason to lose so much time in the second" LMH, but my marathon time progression went 3:03, 3:02, 3:19, 3:18 , 3:22 so eager to end the spell of spectacular blow-ups! If I try for sub 3 and fail, it's more likely to be another 3:20 than a 3:01. Whereas I know I could probably nail a consistent 3:10 to stop the rot. Decisions, decisions...
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Padams - quality! Well done on the win. Nice prize money too! A clubmate got 10th yesterday in 66 minutes and only picked up £80 for his troubles! Cool with the house move. I'm trying to do the same but my place is proving slow to sell in this market.

EE - tough luck yesterday. As for your quandary, which means more to you - a safe time to stop the rot or taking the chance and risking blowing up?

TkTk - well done.

CW - nice use of ambiguity! Do you keep count of how many training marathons you've done?

LMH - 16lbs is a lot to carry uphill or into a headwind. I'm sure if I were lighter I'd complain about being buffeted by it though ;)

Joe - unlikely. I'm sure you've got much faster than that in you too. The hat alone must provide wind resistance! :) 
  • EE - how would you rate your endurance currently? If you can run a comfortable 1.28-1.29 first half you could either pick the pace up if feeling good or hold on at what should be a relatively comfortable pace for the second half?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    EE.. at my peak I once went through half way almost bang on 90 mins, I couldn't quite hold the pace on the day but my endurance got me a respectable 3:03.
    TT.. sub 78 is very impressive if you're carrying all that extra ballast ;)  I hope you weren't trying to match me in pizza, creme egg & beer consumption last week?  (Typical post marathon week behaviour from me!)
    Joe.. marvellous stuff getting a PB in less than ideal conditions.  Sub 75 is surely there for the taking soon.
    Padams.. good racing there for the win.  £150 is almost enough for a pair of running shoes these days :/    
    Tick Tock.. that's a cracking time at Fleet, hope to see you at the Red Lion.
    CC2.. that sounded like a messy 20 miler, congrats for managing most of your plan anyway.
    TR.. I tend to agree with others, you've put a big lump of miles in the bank lately and the wind won't have helped.  I still reckon you will be good to go on marathon day.
    LMH/Menn.. sorry your runs were a struggle, thankfully this week looks a lot better weatherwise.
    SJ.. great run at Trimpell and kudos for taking it up to 23m.  Bet that Guinness didn't touch the sides. :p
    Charlie.. good luck with the monster mileage weeks, it's always worked for you before.
    After a relaxing 27 recovery miles last week the plan is to ease up the mileage this week and onwards to London.  6.6m today to kick off.
  • The weather was better today Wardi - but I wasn't. Have you escaped the flooding?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    CC - i can shelter most of the mens field let alone the ladies.

LMH - oh i see, i thought you were saying youd had a bad race too. Certainly dont beat yourself up over training run pace, esp if its not a key session.

TT - good to see you put a marker down.

EE - sounds similar to me then. Im with you on going forcthe positive experience at brighton, if that's a comfy 3.05 and motivates you to kerp going then great.

Tick Tock - you are in good shape then, looking good to beat yr Abo time by a decent chunk.

Padams - top race selection, wrll fone on the win and the dosh despite the oap interference.

CW - if you must do these full distance runs then its better that its slower than quicker i guess. Im sure youd be fine with a 3hr upper limit though and less distance.

Wardi - your legs are pretty tough, must be all the doubles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I agree, that its time to keep calm and carry on. 15 weeks of 75pmv av and then a few easy days isnt a hm guarantee esp as a M50. 6.45ish should be easy paced after a taper.
    Did 13 on the way home tonight snd could have done the usual 15 or 16, but thought i had best not go too mad. I get the feeling that i was too fatigued to be able to go yoo hard yesterday.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    So how is 13M, even at recovery pace, going to refresh you the day after your disappointing HM TR? Even I had the sense to only do 7 yesterday after my appalling 20M race :D 
    Lots of great performances at the weekend: TTx2, Padams, JBSJ and some good ones too: EETRCC2 Appreciate that the latter group aren't particularly happy with theirs but take comfort that you aren't in my shoes. 20M in 2:39:34 was all I could manage Saturday :s although I was only on the course for 2:32:05 as I had 4 emergency pit stops. Guts still weren't right on yesterday's 7M recovery run either so not taking the time as anything like a true reflection of my current form.
    Anyway decided I'd take advantage of the decent weather & fresher legs to do a bike in/ run home commute today rather than my usual Monday off. Good news is my guts seem to have returned to normality. Bad news I had a spill around 5 miles in on the bike: bus cut across my path in near stationary traffic & unleashed an unsuspecting passenger into my path about 100m BEFORE the bus stop. He literally stepped straight out of the bus into me. I was doing about 22/23 mph. I flew over the handlebars & hit the ground hard with my head & left shoulder. Thankfully I was wearing my helmet as it is now cracked. Thinking's been tricky today but fortunately I was able to run home OK although the shoulder was agony til the endorphins kicked in after about 2-3K. See how I am in the morning
  • Jooligan, you're trying to steal OuchOuch's moniker! How was the passenger? And the bike? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jools - i didnt feel the need to be refreshed, so did the same 13 i did the day after chichester 10k (which was also 20m inc the wu and wd), felt fine aerobically and not tapering yet. Had shorter run options id needed but felt fine so carried on, stopped when my legs got a bit tired. Tomorrow is an enforced 5m due to life getting in the way.
    You have had a rough few days, hopefully over the bug. But that crash sounds bad. If you head is a bit fuzzy then maybe you need checking over for concussion.......and the less said about your cracked helmet the better.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    CC2: Poor passenger was as shocked as me. Said he was fine but obviously will have had some bruising as he was knocked to the ground with some force. Bike seems to have survived OK - the handlebars were pointing the wrong way but a quick fix with the multi-tool I always carry. Front wheel isn't running quite true but not rubbing the brakes so only minor.
    TR You suggested fatigue as the cause of your inability to push hard at Fleet hence the query. I'll see how I am tomorrow with regards getting checked out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jools - yes thats my theory, the taper will tell. Hope you feel ok tomorrow, be careful. Feeling sick can be dodgy sign after a head blow, so if you havnt been sick you might be ok. Fingers crossed.
  • Blimey jools, sounds a bit rough.  Take it easy for a bit.

I spent the morning in hospital, but only for my annual cardio checks.  The full suite today, including an exercise test which I think I passed.  They're now back to not being sure whether my heart anomalies are due to years of training or something genetic, which would be a bit more serious.  They know I don't have the normal genes that cause this, because they've tested me for them, but apparently they don't yet know the full extent of the causal genes.  Ho hum.  On the plus side there's no reason not to keep running marathons.

• That sounds like a rough few days Jooligan - hope you feel ok this morning.

CD - I remember them giving you the all clear, hope that's still the case.

I think the cumulative  fatigue plays a big part TR. I'm trying to front load this week in the hope that I can pick up the pace on lap two at Ashby but it's more important to get the miles in than to be fresh.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Crikey jolligan- hope you are ok today

CD - hope they get to the bottom of this for you soon.

SJ - You made the right choice not running Wrexham - apparently at mile 8 it was flooded up to your thighs for a hidden 100m and you had to wade.

TR - as I’ve got older recovery and fatigue through high training have a big impact upon my times. A good taper should help somewhat.

Im mini tapering for wilmslow. 4 recovery last night
  • Sorry to hear about the crash Jooligan - hope it doesn't impact the training too much. 

Thanks for the thoughts on Brighton pace guys - think I'm gonna just finish my training and see how I feel on the day. I'm a lot more zen about races these days which helps. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    CD - hopefully the docs can make their mind up, so you get some reassurance.

Menn - yes, ive put it down to accumulated fatigue (as LMH says) and my old age. Eyes on the Brighton prize now.

LMH - if you are looking to compare Sunday with previous years, then you should do what uou would normally do in the week before?

5m easy today, its all the time i have today, so it makes the WTFP a bit easier.
  • You can't really though can you TR? Weather etc all impact. I've decided it's eye on the prize time and whatever happens at Ashby I'll suck it up.

How are you Jooligan?

EE - whilst it's important to us in the grand scheme of things it's something we're supposed to do for fun so a more relaxed attitude has to be the way to go.

Another slow run for me this morning but I can confidently say that there's nothing wrong with my endurance.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Wardi - that's quality recovery food! It sounds like you've come out of Barcelona in good shape, mentally and physically?

TR - good job on getting straight back to it, and good attitude.

Jooligan - ouch! Hopefully you're feeling ok today!

CD - I hope you get some answers but on the plus side an annual MOT has to provide some reassurance.

I seem to have come out of Reading in good shape. 10m jog + HIIT yesterday. 8m jog with strides this morning, plus something to come later, possibly steady. I'd like to get some decent mileage in this week ideally.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Cheers for the support. Currently in the hospital MIU getting checked out as work sent me home.
    EE fwiw I converted a 1:28:40 in March to a 3:02:19 4 weeks later at Brighton in 2016. I also managed to hold on for a 3:08 at Abo in October after going through 13.1 in 1:29 despite a serious lack of LRs. I’d had a similar couple of years to yourself after the PB in Brighton. 3:07 Abo16, 3:14 VLM17, 3:25 VLM18, 3:50 Dorchester 18 so was beginning to doubt myself til Abo18
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    TippTopp -- I've only done 4 26+M runs so far this campaign, and I only have time for another 4 (assuming my last is 2 weeks out from VLM), so it will be a total of 8 max. Last year I did 10 from memory, and given the conditions it was probably by best marathon ever. So (TR) I'm going to stick to the formula!

Total of 20M in commutes yesterday and another 11.5M so far this morning, aiming to do 100+M by Thurs and then have 2 days off. Or maybe just run Fri am if necessary. I was super-ploddy this morning though, so maybe I can't quite make that regime work.
  • That's exactly it LMH - it is supposed to be fun and chasing times in the past drove me away from running altogether, so keen not to dampen the flames!

That's encouraging context Jooligan; thanks. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Verdict: mild concussion but no broken bones. Remedy: paracetamol & rest. I can manage the former but we'll see about the latter. Certainly won't be swimming for a week or 2 as can't move my left shoulder properly  Least I can run, after a fashion.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. floods on Sunday affected a few riverside poperties and swamped the local football pitch, also saw a pub near us getting the cellar pumped out.  We live just uphill from the river so safe unless the whole town was underwater.  From our house if we can see the surface of the river we know it's very high! 
    Jooligan.. oof, hope to hear of no lasting damage.  Hopefully far enough out from Brighton too!
    TT.. yes thanks, I found one rest day followed by a few short runs last week better recovery than doing nothing.  Even if Barca was a bit off target it's a decent training run for London so the plan now is 3-4 decent weeks.
    CD.. sounds positive if not a final all clear, good luck with the rest of your marathon build up.
    Out with the club tonight, will add a few miles on to make it 10-11, my first double digit run since Barca.    
  • Glad it's nothing too serious Jooligan - take it easy for a couple of days though eh?

That's good Wardi - I remember you getting cut off when that bridge washed away.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    LMH - good, although hopefully you have nothing to suck up. Did you do a Charlie today and run the full distance to test your endurance?

TT - you bounced back pretty quick too.

CW - well with 8 instead of 10, and a cooler day you should smoke it !

Jools - easy does it then, as im sure you will keep running.
  • Not me TR. I'm having a big start to the week though (if I manage to bimble today's planned mileage) then backing off drastically from tomorrow in the hope of fresher legs. I'm hoping physio this afternoon will help too as my back has now been tweaky for nearly three weeks.
  • Just had an email saying I'm on the fast start at Brighton which starts from a different park - even closer to my Airbnb which is a touch!

Also, from memory, it means we avoid the annoying (and hilly) lap of Preston Park that the mass start runners have to start with. Any locals/Brighton veterans able to confirm this?
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Absolutely right EE. Definitely a quicker first mile than the Preston Park start :) Made me check mine & I too will be there. I'm guessing TR will be too so should be easy to meet up beforehand as it was pretty quiet when I was last there 3 years ago.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Good to hear all ok Jools

Good news on the start EE. Every little bit helps.

9 yesterday with a shameless strava driven 10 min final pace effort before raceday. Quietly looking forward to Sunday now