Paris Marathon and not enough training

Hello, It's been a little while since I've been on the forum.

A little background, I've been running for a few years now. I've taken part in a fair few 5k / 10k / half marathons. My PB's are as follows.
5k = 23.03
10k = 52.04
Half =1hr 55mins

Ok I need a little advice, I have the Paris Marathon coming up on 14th April and my training is a little behind schedule. 

Unfortunately I managed to break my collarbone 8 weeks ago on a MTB trail, and this really put me behind with my training.

As this is going to be my first full marathon I thought I would try and take part and get back to training as soon as possible.

I've now been back in training for the past 5 weeks, starting off very light for the first few weeks.

2 weeks ago I managed to finish the Cambridge half marathon, 2 hours and 2 minutes.

Training seems to be going ok, but.. My longest run to date was yesterday. I managed to run 16 miles (a bit of pain in the collarbone area but I'm working on that with my physio)

The training plan I've been using is the 'Improver's 16 week marathon schedule'

And when I say using, I used bits of it (due to my injury and general work commitments)

I wouldn't class myself as majorly experienced runner, but I'd like to think I've done enough to take part in the Paris Marathon. 

So any tips on how to treat this final 4 weeks would be much appreciated, all training tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Nigel

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nigel - you don't say how well you recover from your long runs.   I would suggest that the next 4 weekends for your long runs you do 18, 20, 14, 10.

There's no real catch up that you can do having missed time due to injury so focus on getting to the start line healthy and injury free.

As it's your first marathon as long as you finish you are guaranteed a PB so enjoy the day.   First marathon is really about dealing with the distance and the event and making it a positive experience.
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hello Shades, 

Sorry for the late reply, I would say my recovery after a long run is around three days. 
    I generally run again on a Wednesday evening after a long run on a Sunday morning.

Thank you for your advice

Nige 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    3 days is quite a long recovery time, make sure you're not doing those long runs too fast.

You've got plenty of race experience, the marathon requires a bit more preparation in the way of choosing the right kit, pre and post food etc so plan that as well as you can.
  • Nigel,your race times are about the same as me and I am coming back from injury also but I was given advice to get the miles in first,so I done 19 last week end in 10 min pace.Happy with that but I think I need to get at least 21 miles done in the next week or two......my hard part is trying to get the medical certificate.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The Man - how much is a medical certificate now from your GP?
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    "The Man" said:
    Nigel,your race times are about the same as me and I am coming back from injury also but I was given advice to get the miles in first,so I done 19 last week end in 10 min pace.Happy with that but I think I need to get at least 21 miles done in the next week or two......my hard part is trying to get the medical certificate.
    You are a little bit ahead of me on the miles. 

As for my my medical certification, I was fortunate to get mine before I broke my collarbone.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    10 min mile pace for the long runs seems extraordinarily fast to me for someone running a 1:55 HM. I'd focus on going slower so you can recover more quickly and get to that start line healthy. 
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Khanivore said:
    10 min mile pace for the long runs seems extraordinarily fast to me for someone running a 1:55 HM. I'd focus on going slower so you can recover more quickly and get to that start line healthy. 
    Cheers for the advice, much appreciated 
  • > @SHADES said:
    > The Man - how much is a medical certificate now from your GP?

> @SHADES said:

> @SHADES said:
  • Shades,I paid £20.At first I was quoted £50 by the practice manager but the Doc thought that was excessive and charged me the score.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    The Man - that's a very reasonable price for the certificate, sensible doctor you've got there.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I've noticed a medical certificate as a requirement for half marathons in Italy when I was looking. Is this normal on the continent as a requirement for entry?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Guarddog, no it's not widespread across the continent.  France and Italy I believe are the main ones.  I've done marathons in Netherlands, Spain, Malta, Belgium and Germany and never had to get a certificate.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Thanks Big_G. Looking to the Valencia half in October and may also try another couple abroad this year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Guarddog, best of luck!  My club are going to Valencia Marathon in December - I'm undecided at the moment, as have a couple of other events I want to do.  I love going on holiday and getting a race in whilst away :)  
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    My first 'abroad' race is this weekend Big_G. Off to do the Love Run Half in Philadelphia. Had looked at New York, but the cost was extortionate, packages were £1500 for 4 days. Managing to do Philly for about £350, although it means flying out Friday, running Sunday and then flying back Sunday evening. Rather excited by it though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sounds great, Guarddog.  Let us know how you get on!
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Back again, I managed to get a 20 mile run in on Sunday, took me 3hrs 18 minutes to complete.
    I felt pretty good afterwards and my recovery seems to have gone well. better than expected!
    I'm now looking forward to the Paris marathon. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nigel - that's a great long run and a much better recovery.   Hope you have a great time at Paris, don't forget to come back and tell us how you the race went.
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Thanks shades. Shall do 
  • Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hello,

I managed to get through the Paris Marathon, my time was 4hrs 43mins and 11seconds.
    It was very hard work, my collarbone really gave me problems from the 9th mile. I used all the techniques I had been taught by the physio and just about managed to control it. 
    But around the 22 mile mark I fell apart, I could sense it coming but that was when I really felt it.
    my legs and shoulder pain started getting unbearable.
    i think if it wasn’t for a pacer running by I would of walked the rest of the way. But that was enough encouragement to jog (if you can call it that)
    the remaining miles.
    happy to have done it and the respect I’ve got for people who do it has grown so much. 
    I thought half’s were hard enough. 

so Sunday and Monday my legs have been feeling it. Today I jumped on the treadmill for half an hour to try and get some life back into them.

nige 

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Well done Nige that is a fantastic effort. I'm sure once you've stopped aching you'll look back and feel very proud of what you achieved. 

I watched the Brighton Marathon on Sunday and similarly I had the utmost respect for all those taking part as I don't think I'd really want to do one. As you say a half is hard enough.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nigel - congratulations, marathons are hard and for you having pain from your collarbone injury just made that an even tougher day for you.   

You should be very proud of yourself.   There's nothing quite like the feeling when you finish a marathon.

Great news that you're recovering well.

• Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Thank you Shades, thank you Guarddog