Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well that's promising from YT that he has another minute or so still in hand for another PB.   Impressive that he did his 2 x 10 milers the following day, he's so disciplined about his training.  I do so hope he does his hoped for time at VLM this year, he certainly deserves it as he works so hard.

Cal - yes, we'll have a slight set back when we change the clocks but it always seems to catch up fairly quickly then.

Steve - I assume Endure is after Edinburgh Half

Challenging Pilates class, good though.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - What time is your young Trotter chasing at London? 2:30 ish?
    Shades - Yes, a few weeks after.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, yes he’s hoping for sub-2:30. Last year he didn’t do well at London so hopefully it’ll all come together on the day for him this year. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - now you've moved you'll have a lot of new running routes to source.  I expect you still have plenty of hills round there. 😉

Sub 2:30 would be a brilliant time for YT, I think he's capable of doing that.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    8 miles today with 5 at MP. The first MP mile was a little slower than I wanted but I was still warming up, I guess, and the rest went very well. Achilles less grumpy than yesterday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - what are you using as your MP, the pace you're planning to run at Vienna?   Sub 4 perhaps :) 

Rest day for me today, except for circuits which as usual I find quite tough but I think I am starting to make small improvements.   Love my 2nd breakfast post circuits, feel I earned it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I will post up the April marathons on next week's list.  So far I have one marathon for Cal, Ian, Steven, Iain & Khanivore.   
    Big G - I only have Rotterdam listed for you, I suspect there might be a few more ? ;) 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, in April as well as Rotterdam on 7th I have:
    - Great Welsh Marathon on 14th April
    - Chasing Numbers Marathon on 24th April.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks, duly noted.   

Have you done any of the Infinity Running events in Wales?   I contacted them yesterday about their Top Gear race at the end of June and it's tarmac so I've just entered, venue looks lovely, I think it's laps of the lake but not TBL ;)   Entry fee is the same for the marathon or ultra, it's a timed event, so if it's not too hot I might add another couple of laps or so to add to my ultra totals.   Lots of very reasonably priced accommodation in the area, not Travelodge or Premier, but I can get a double room in a hotel with breakfast for £40ish.
    Using my unused budget on my car service to fund this trip :)  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, no I haven't done any of theirs.  I'll check them out.  A great way to use your unused budget :)

Ideally, I'd like to do a flat ultra before DD, as that was a big confidence boost for me last year where I did 33-miles even though I had that rib injury from a fall at the previous LDWA event (the fact my legs didn't just drop off after the marathon distance was encouraging ;) ).  I don't think I mentioned it on here, but before the race (and even during it) I was thinking of running for longer at the recent Dorney Lake event, but the fact it was so windy put me off so I chickened out and stopped at the marathon - the wind didn't make it very enjoyable, and the thought of 3 or 4 extra laps just wasn't appealing!  I'm running out of time to fit one in though, but I do have it in the back of mind for that Chasing Numbers event although I'll see how I feel on the day, so not committing to doing an ultra at the moment.

I've also looked seriously at doing another event before Rotterdam whilst in NL.  There is one on the previous Sunday but I can't really get to it that easily due to other commitments.  There's also one on the Wednesday before Rotterdam, but it's an odd one; it should "count" for 100MC purposes but their max entry list is only 15 runners so if someone DNSs or DNFs it wouldn't count for 100MC purposes.  It's only €7 though, which includes a certificate, a measured course, an aid station and a results list - so from all that, as long as 15 finish it would count, but I can't risk it really as I would be annoyed if I did it and it ended up not counting!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I never have any problems using up unallocated budget. I am once again saving up for that elusive sofa.

Looks like most of the Infinity events are multi terrain, a mix of good trail and tarmac but the one I've entered is 1.68 mile laps with 20m of gravel per lap. Not as far to drive as I thought, about 2.5 hours.

Last year you needed that pre DD ultra as you hadn't been over marathon distance before but not really needed this year, DD is also back to the  regular distance. I think Windermere marathon will be better for your training strategy.  And of course we have our DD teaser this weekend at Tavy 13, weather looks promising if a bit cool.

Re the timed events, it's mentally hard to continue after marathon point when we know we don't have to.

Re that event in NL, check the 100 club rules. I'm sure there used to be something about the number of runners only applying to events that started after a certain year. That rule was so that long standing events that had been eligible for years could continue to be valid events. If the NL event started years ago you might be OK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, found it in the rules. Sorry, can't work out how to post a link using my phone!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades....noooo! Not yet. I'm targetting Yorkshire for a sub-4. For Vienna, I hope to shave a bit off my Chester time, so MP will be 9:20-9:30.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G -  100 MC rule...Existing events that have been running for 3 or more years as at 31/12/2014 and traditionally have had a field of less than 25 participants shall not be subjected to this limit.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a more sensible target over the 2 races. I was just checking.😁
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Finally worked out how to post links.😁
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks.  There are results going back to 2014 for this event, but not every year.  It's basically a very small concern who set up lots of events (more-or-less on a monthly basis it seems) in different locations, for those in NL who are chasing marathon numbers.  Their events are on the NL 100MC, but of course that doesn't mean they're valid for the UK&I 100MC.  I'll think I'll drop the UK 100MC an email and see what they say, and then take it from there.

I got a 7-miler in this afternoon.  It was surprisingly cold and quite blustery - in comparison to yesterday's run I can't say it was overly enjoyable but at least I managed to get out!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Yes, good idea to email 100MC just to check.  Sounds like it should be OK as long as they have a permit or insurance.
    I was invited to Germany one year over the Xmas period to run 12 marathons in 12 days but they weren't proper events, just runs organised by the German 100MC, whose rules are quite lax when it comes to eligible events.

I suppose you're nearer the sea now so maybe conditions will be windier for your runs.

6 miles for me this morning, perfect conditions for the first day of Spring :) .   Annoyingly after my RHR returning to normal yesterday it's now up again and when I was running I felt my throat was dry and scratchy.  I feel OK so hope it's just me being a raving hypochondriac :/  
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree with Shades, I don't think you'd need to go over marathon distance before DD, your marathon's will be more than enough distance training.
    8 miles with strides yesterday and 10 miles with 20 mins (6:19 average) and 16 mins (6:33 average) at LT today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, fingers crossed the dry throat comes to nothing.

I did just over 13 miles this morning.  I ran to the train station (1-mile), caught the train to Teignmouth and then ran/walked back along the coast path to Paignton.  Part of it is very tough (it's the City to Sea route), but even so I just felt quite weak.  It was a pleasant day for running, but I was hoping to have a strong run which didn't really happen.  It was 3hrs of moving time for the 13.3 miles.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you're certainly getting the miles in, you deserve a very good PB at Edinburgh.

Big G - that's a tough route you chose today.  Maybe you're still a bit tired after your house move.  

I'm still feeling a bit bleugh but I'm no worse so hopefully not getting a cold.  I was hoping to do a Hadd test tomorrow but won't if my RHR is still raised as the data would be flawed.

Booked my hotel for the Infinity race today and also a search for fish and chip shops in the area.  They do love their fish and chips in Wales, 8 chip shops within 5 minutes drive and it's not a city or even a town. 😁
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'll soon be on the look out for fish and chips near Llanelli!  If you have any recommendations let me know :)  

Regarding that Dutch marathon before Rotterdam, UK&I 100MC said it does count.....but, I was having issues entering the event so emailed the organisers.  Unfortunately, one of the organisers has recently received a terminal diagnosis so understandably all their events are cancelled.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a shame about the Dutch race and sad circumstances for the cancellation.

I'm off to Llanelli next weekend for an ultra but not staying in Llanelli this time but a few miles away so have already targeted another chip shop.

Last year when I stayed in Llanelli I went to High Tide Fish & chip shop and thought it was really good.   Customer car park and seating inside and outside.   Portions were huge, but they had recently opened so they may now have got that under control!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g776264-d12866902-Reviews-High_Tide_Fish_and_Chip_Bar_Restaurant-Llanelli_Carmarthenshire_Wales.html

6 miles for me today, RHR back to normal, throat just slightly dry but I'm fine.   Didn't do a Hadd test though.  Nice morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh wow, Big G, that's not good news. But I guess that means you'll be a bit fresher going into Rotterdam.
    Shades, not sure what my post Vienna meal will be...not fish and chips! When I was there last year I had a big pork knuckle which was yummy but I know I won't be likely to want that after a marathon as my appetite tends to disappear (probably due to fatigue!)
    6 mile recovery run today - felt sluggish and my bits and pieces were quite niggly. I have a sore left quad (that one is just DOMS) from yoga, I think - all those warrior poses.
    Knee is niggling again too. I always seem to hurt more after a rest day (even though I made myself go out for a walk yesterday).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - the fish and chips is pre race not post race.  My favourite pre race meal, have done all my best races after fish and chips.   I have a friend that does the same and she had fish and chips before her first Ironman last year.  Not bothered about post race but if I go to a restaurant my choice would be meat, steak or chicken, as I fancy something tasty and salty, you may well end up eating a knuckle again!   

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.   I'll check it out if I can.  I've just had a look and it's only a couple of miles from my Travelodge so it's a definite possibility.  I've combined that weekend with another WAY weekend actually, as I'm in Cardiff that Friday night, I'll do a Cardiff parkrun Saturday morning, see some of the WAYers Saturday day time and then drive to Llanelli mid/late-afternoon on Saturday.

Cal, you may remember that I was really targeting Rotterdam for a good time, but I just don't feel it's going to happen.  If I felt I was in decent shape, I wouldn't have looked for another event, but as it is I thought it would have been a good opportunity to get another event in whilst over there.  There are various 10ks and Halfs, but they will depend on what else is happening that week in terms of seeing friends etc.  Regarding Rotterdam I'm really not sure what my target time is at this stage.  I was initially hoping for a PB (i.e., sub-3:19) but I'm way off that at the moment - due to one thing or another, my training just hasn't gone as well as it did for the first 2 or 3 months of last year.

I went and did 3-miles at an easy pace this morning, and felt okay.  I'll see how I am, and if okay I'll go and do the 12x45-sec efforts with the club tonight.  I haven't done that for a long, long time but I'll decide for sure later in the day.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Last last night here and all gone well.
    looks like I was fated to do the half on Sunday as a friend is injured and has transferred his place to me,question now is do I go for it or do what I’ve never tried before and run it at MP and see how it feels 2 weeks out?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Glad you've enjoyed your break, Ian.  Tough one regarding the Half - I still think I'd race it, but I know you're worried about aggravating anything!

I went over to the Trotters session this evening and did 2.5 miles warm up on my own, the 12x45-sec session, and then around 1K warm down (it was 5.2 miles in total).  I didn't push it 100% on the efforts, and hence did actually quite enjoy it ;)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've never been disappointed by the fish and chips in Wales.  You're doing well combining your WAY weekends with your marathons :) 

Good speed session with the Trotters, are you going back to the Tri club soon?
    It may all come together at Rotterdam so don't give up hope of having a crack at that PB.

Ian - glad to hear you had a good holiday.  Re Sunday, up to you, see how fresh you feel.  I'm with Big G though I would race it.   We can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool.

Rest day today, I seem to be having a lot of them lately :/   Race tomorrow, a hilly half, hillier than the last one, I think this one is 1300 feet, I've done no hill work lately :'(  but just want to enjoy it, lovely route goes up to Dartmoor and back down again.