Wednesday 20th March 2019 - I never thought I'd change my opinion again

Morning.

Lyrics - I never thought I'd change my opinion again 

I thought someone would have started the thread by now.

Another nice day forecast which is good as I'm expecting a very slow run. The plan is to drastically cut the miles after today so one last longer bimble for the week then physio this afternoon who I'm hoping can finally settle my back and (possibly) associated issues. I surprised myself yesterday by actually getting to the gym so that's ticked off for the week too.

What:            MLR/physio
Why:             higher mileage week tapering off/maintenance
Last hard:     working out why I'm so slow
Last rest:      27/1

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Sorry LMH, it took too long to fire up my laptop or I would have started the thread for once.  Enjoy your long bimble and I hope the visit to the phsyio can help you.

Well done on the boosting the miles post virus WP.

Mojo could come back once you have a couple of days of decent weather chicksta (fingers crossed)

Difficult call on Brighton Wabo.  How late can you make a decision?

Skiing was good emzap - thanks.  Crap weather on Friday closed all of the lifts early (first world problems) but decent on Sat/Sun.  Still lots of snow though very soft in the afternoons.  Was nice to meet up with some friends there.

What: hopefully I can get out at all - if so a few steady miles
    Why: server still not up and running - I'm not the one fixing it but as soon as it is fixed I need to get stuff done asap
    Last hard:  waiting for something to happen
    Last rest: Sunday

Lyrics: no
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

And too early for me most Wednesdays, LMH, as not a work day.

Hope you get a run in, Hazel. Skiing sounds fun!

What: 30 mins or thereabouts

Why: trying to get a few more kilometres in the legs without overdoing things. The way I am coughing this morning tells me things are still not right. 

Weather is grey and still this morning; yesterday it rained until about 10;30 in the morning and was then quite pleasant and there was even a glimpse of the sun during my run. However got wet again a couple of hours later after Pilates.

Only you can make the call, Wabo, but I suspect you know that a marathon at present would be a step too far. May be worth thinking about an autumn one if you are able to get the long runs in: in my view spring marathons are harder to train for given what the weather can throw at you and the short days mean lots of running in the dark. Remember the key thing is that we do this for enjoyment! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I agree that spring marathons are much harder to train for than autumn ones Alehouse. Is it time to go back to the doctor do you think?

Glad you enjoyed the weekend but sorry to hear that you're still having work stress hazel - that's taking a long time to fix.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Alehouse you have hit the nail on the head. I have until Friday to change. As we have booked to go to Brighton and club mates are doing the full I think it would be a shame to just not bother. I am carrying on till Friday with the schedule, I am even going to give this week's long run a go Friday early morning.  Then I will see how I feel.  Like LMH said I can get a couple more in and I can run walk - done that before.  BUT it will depend on if I want really to do that.  I will know Friday.
    Alehouse, that has been hanging around a long time, agree with LMH maybe a doc visit?
    LMH enjoy t he mlr
    Hazel wow you're a girl!! Super fit by the sounds of it! Hope you get a run in, Friday I can call it

I did have a not too bad run last night, 45 mins with 8x3 threshold.  Big toe played up in the last 2 mins. 
    What: 90 mins later, a mate joining me for maybe an hour which is brilliant!
    Why: schedule
    Last hard: last night
    last rest: 31/12/16

have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Am indeed thinking that another visit to the GP may be called for, LMH, but will leave it until Friday at the earliest. Not really sure what the problem is as my peak flow is as high as it has been for years! Catarrh and throat not good though!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

What: 10 miles of running d&d - run gym bike PM

Why: recovered

Last hard: today was progressive

Last rest: October 31st

Lyrics: Nope

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again! And it is indeed a much better one weather-wise.

What: just over half an hour

Why: what I wanted to do. 

Is the Ashby plan 10 steady, 10 quicker, LMH? 
  • You need to do what's going to make you happy Wabo.

When is your next race Gobi?

A beautiful morning here too Alehouse. Yes, standard Ashby plan. I'd quite like to race it one year and see what I could do but that will have to wait until I can run it when I'm not in full on marathon training.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Racing a 20 miler could be fun, LMH. You won't have to put up with the pain of the last 6 :)  Did you have a better run today? Fingers crossed, physio can fix you.

Wabo: Sorry to hear that but what LMH said. You have to do what makes you happy. And there's no point dragging yourself around the course in pain. Wouldn't give up marathons just yet though but rather see how a longer and more gradual build-up over the summer pans out. The beautiful mornings are yet to come.

Hazel: IT Problems are so annoying, especially if they mean more stress.

This has been going on for too long, ale. Maybe another dose of ATBs?

What: 9 miles with a couple of hill sprints and some strides
    Why: supposedly interval day but I couldn't face the TM and thought this and maybe a hard parkrun are the next best thing
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: 3/3

Yesterday's were So Hard, Pet Shop Boys

• Some good words for Wabo.  And especially:
    alehouse said:
     Remember the key thing is that we do this for enjoyment! 
    Should take that with me on runs sometimes!  Maybe on a bit of card like a parkrun barcode to be produced when I want to start whinging in the middle of a tough bit!

Hope you have a nice outing with your friend Wabo.

The improved peak flow must be something Ale - but it would be good if the rest would also improve at last

Good flexibility chicksta.  Missing one session won't hurt I guess.

12km d&d at lunch - with a considerable feeling of relief as the bloody server is now up and running again after 2 days.  Some historical files are spread all over the place but the main thing is the applications are producing current data again.  Blustery mostly easterly wind made some bits hard work - as often I fought the wind rather than just running by effort - need to get out of that habit.
  • 1 k swim this morning (in the pool!)
    Track this evening
    Why: thought it might help bruised shoulder (blown over by wind on Sunday)
    Last hard 9 days ago
    Lyrics no
  • Wabo I so like what Alehouse said to you we do this for fun and enjoyment,when it stops being fun we need to have a good hard think about things.
    I hope you make the right choice for you :)

A bit why I run only half marathon's my achilles would moan and I would not enjoy the hard slog it would be for a full marathon,but who knows one day i may go back to it;-)

Chick well done on your miles this morning!

Hazel:Well done on server back up and 12k run I bet that blew away some frustration:-)

LMH: i hope physio was kinder to you and MLR went well.

What: 9.5 miles
    Why: Because I can :disappointed:
    Last hard: Virus
    Lyrics Nope

Two back to back long runs but it is just the way it played out I just go out and see what body tells me:-0 I love running in the Park so maybe one day this week the magic 10 may happen.I have plenty of energy and love how I feel and all the calories it gives me.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭

LMH - I am pace making on Sunday at the Eastleigh 10km - 37.xx which will be controlled but a hard session

My next race is the national duathlon championships on the 7th April(year anniversary of my crash) 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, 
    Thought I posted this morning - obviously not!
    Wabo - as others have said, do what YOU want to do, you need to enjoy the running, if your hearts not in 26.2 then why put yourself through it? Still time to get the miles in though if you concede!
    WP- good effort with the long runs
    Re spring v autumn, I think I prefer the former, more on the basis that I can join in with 20-30 others in the group training sets as opposed to going solo a lot in the summer. That and I do like a bit of track training when it's milder...
    What - 7.5 easy miles up to Victoria Park
    Why - 5x1km last night (10m in total) 
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - yesterday. Legs still a bit ropey after Sunday's half, but managed to eke some half decent k reps out.
    lyric - nope

• That sounds rough OH - hope you aren't too badly hurt.

Nice back to back longer runs Poppy.

It's hard not to fight the wind Hazel though when it was really bad here there were times I just stopped and turned my back until the worst of a gust had passed.

I guess as all my running is done alone it's not an issue for me Dustin.

I enjoyed my run this morning chciksta - the better weather makes such a difference - and it was faster than yesterday's though still miles down on where I'd expect to be. I've crammed the miles so far this week though, time to cut back a bit now and hope to freshen up. I think the supposed to be fun thing applies to your intervals and alternative session too.

That's gone quickly Gobi!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    evening all

Wabo, as others have said, we do all this for the fact we want want to, so only you can make the call and it will be the right one.

LMH hope the niggles clear

Love it Gobi - Controlled 37:xx, have  a great race, I love that course (and is still my PB course at 37:32..... coached by guess who :-)

Would love to do Limassol 10k on Sunday in 47:30 - here's hoping

Tis the time for Holiday.... big bird tomorrow :-)

Short intervals tonight 12 x 150m as a sharpener (off 150m rec)

Take care and see you on the other side next week all (unless I can get online when on Hols)

Take care
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your holiday, RFJ, not least the race!

A few very easy days, LMH!