Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - fair enough.

Jools, EE - Yes im on the fast start too. Made me smile that they rushed me into a park and ride slot a few weeks back, and yday tell me that the park and ride is Preston only. But its only a 1m walk back. The park and ride is more so i can get back afterwards. It says you can run from Preston if you like, but I'll come to withdean so we can attach elastic.
  • Sounds like a plan Jooligan! Although I don't want to get tempted in to trying to cling on to your pace  ;)
  • Missed your post at the top of the page TR - I did think it was slightly odd they only tell people they're at a different start/location so close to the event. Hey ho. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    EE - i thought the park and ride said it went to both starts, but i think ill be able to walk from the car park direct. The bus ride is for after the race.

18m tonight.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    CW - why change a winning formula! I can see myself doing 26m across 2 runs on a long run day, but not entirely sure I'd be bothered with doing it all in one go - I'm pretty sure that for my last marathon I ran just 2 x 20s and 2 x 18s in the 8 or 9 months beforehand. Of course I reserve the right to change my mind if I get a running hobo day and just fancy doing an over-distance run ;)

Jooligan - take it easy.

Wardi - a very Lydiard thing is to do a marathon a bit before a target one so you may find it gives you a good boost!

TR - running feels different since I started back a few weeks ago for a whole heap of reasons, which I think helps with recovery. I'm just absolutely loving it. More great mileage from you!

Stayed sensible yesterday and ran the 10 home as easy-ish (rather than what will be a standard Tuesday 10 @ 80-90% - basically a coro 10). A 17/4 double today is keeping the miles racking up and keeping me on target to ton-up this week. Fingers crossed!
  • I thought you were tapering TR?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    TT - good to see.

LMH - no, ive completed all my build up races, so im not at Eastleigh this weekend. Next fixtures are Brighton and yeovil.

10 today (5 av 8.25, 5 av 6.45).
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TR - Good start to the morning,3 shredded wheat? 
    Jools - yee ouch - hope your feeling better after the spill. Ouch Ouch Ouch indeed. 
    Belated congratulations to Padams for pulling it out of the bag again, Al_P and TT for their fast half marathons, don't know how you guys do it - chapeau.
    13m last night inc 2*2m bursts (12.15 & 11.40).  Front-loading my week as Tavistock half marathoning on Sunday (£9 entry without a t-shirt, a bargain and such a good idea). 

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's my kind of race OO. Wish that was the norm.
    TT You seem to be going from zero-ton including some very quick stuff in a remarkably short time. Fingers crossed your body hold out this time.
    You are obviously in great shape for the marathon TR no matter what you felt after Fleet. I struggled with 10K at 8:30s this morning whilst you bang out 10 with 5@MP. Not sure how long I'll be seeing you for at Brighton once the gun goes.
  • I'm still alive! 

Not the classic marathon training schedule, but if I was offered where I currently am now 6 months ago Id have snapped their hand off, and thats even without everything else getting in the way! 

So for the last few weeks or so I've been packing up boxes, lifting heavy stuff and ultimately moving into my new place. I'm a bit upside down, but feeling in a very good place right now.
    I'm a confirmed bachelor again, and I feel a massive sense of calm, and being able to be in charge of myself and routine. 

Ive managed to run last 4 days, including something pretty fast and painful on Tuesday. Because of the ironman and broken training I'm doing minimal tapering, so long run this weekend and maybe similar weekend after. 
    If I get sub 3 at Manchester marvellous, if I don't - so what I'm in a stronger position than if I wasn't training for it. And I'll definitely get it after the IM / Berlin marathon. 

Ive also secured some accommodation in London for VLM so I am going to head down there for the weekend and spectate 

TR - You are training for a marathon, bet you could have run a lot further than 13.1 miles at the pace you did. I'll message you re Southampton visit 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Wtgy - sounds like you've had a lot on your plate then recently. Glad to see some perspective re Manchester. I decided to get a time on the board and build from there this time last year. Ran 3:11 which I was reasonably happy with at the time and have kept rolling on.

Some fatigue in last night's 12 and having had a closer look at Sunday's run I'm probably rightly tired. I averaged 7:03 for 23 miles which on reflection might have been a touch too hard. Felt comfy enough save for the last 3 miles into the wind. Hopefully points to good things ib a couple of weeks time.

• That was a fast long run sj, bound to take a bit out of you.

Wow - lots of life stuff there WTGY. Hope you continue to be happy in your new home.

Nice pace TR.

How are you feeling Jooligan?

Well physio (or something) seems to have worked as whilst not fast this morning's run was the fastest for a few weeks which given it came on top of 70 miles in four days is encouraging.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    LMH - 70m in 4 days is big miles.

OO - good pace there. No shredded wheats oe other breakie, but i did have some pasta and a couple of beers after the 18.

Jools - legs groaned a bit this morning, 6.45s on tired legs will come in handy in 3 weeks. Feel a bit smoked now though. Youll come past late on when im cramping up.

WTG - oooh, whens the bachelor party?

SJ - no surprise on the tired 12. Are you back in for abo again?
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    LMH - cripes, my max ever weekly mileage whacker out in 4 days! Glad some normality has returned for you. I am thinking of a visit to the fizz, a neck issue has begun to reappear over last week or two.

TR - not entered yet. At this moment in time I want to keep things going so will most likely do an autumn race. Work is going to ramp up over the next few months so juggling that will be my biggest issue. Meant to say earlier, nice on the fast finish to your 10 today. I would say I have definitely got those kind of runs spot on this campaign.

Very easy 6 tonight with some strides. Taper begining to take hold.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH.. Ashby should hopefully feel routine if the brief respite from 70m in 4 days leaves you fresh enough, great miles as usual.
    WTGY.. sounds like you've recovered from/sorted out one of life's more wistful events, hope Manchester is a good experience for you whatever the outcome.
    SJ.. you've certainly earned the taper days, I always find them really difficult though!
    TR.. that's a fine 10 miler of two halves, good confidence booster!
    OO.. best of luck on Sunday, what's the course like?
    TT.. great to see you ramping up the miles again.
    Legs getting fresher by the day, 6,10,8,8 so far this week. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    SJ, wardi - both of you are getting fresher legs then.

SJ - fair dos re Abo. It works well for me, but you have a lot of October choice.

The 5m was tough on heavy legs, and i defo couldnt have gone much further. But then id done 18 the previous evening. Fingers crossed that 6.45s feels easy come race day, at least early on anyway.

5m tomorrow, the last 20 something Saturday and then it will be time to ease back a bit next week. I will then cut right back for 2 weeks prior to the B of the Bang.
  • It will TR - you've put the work in.

York sj? I can do miles - it's pace that's my issue.

Wardi - I think I have my physio to thank, freeing my back seems to have made a huge difference. Great to hear that your legs are coming back.

Sounds like my kind of race too OuchOuch - it will feel a bit short for you though!
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    OO - nice 2m bursts.

Jooligan - cheers. There are no high intensity runs in this phase so that should help with keeping things together, but also, as I posted to TR the other day, running feels different for a whole heap of reasons, which makes it so much easier. How are you feeling now?

WTGY - I've been there and got the t-shirt. Best thing I ever done. I spent a long period of time after just focused on the kids and myself, but eventually met somebody amazing and am getting married in just over 18 weeks time :)

LMH - it's great to read that you're coming around! 70 in 4 days is fantastic mileage!

I had asthma issues yesterday (ran out of my meds and had forgotten to renew) so swapped the planned fartlek for Saturday's planned 10m @ 80-90%. Despite the asthma issues I skipped straight through the 64s and into the 63s (6:20 average) for the 10m. That also put me on a rolling 7 day total of 111m, so it's going well this week :)
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

WTGY - sounds like you are in a better place both generally and running-wise. I'm sure you'll enjoy Manchester whatever the outcome.

TR - still smashing out the miles, I'm looking forward to tracking you at Brighton.

Managed to do 10M off-road on Wednesday whilst the removal men finished off the packing. Really enjoyed it, partly as I couldn't find a watch to wear so just ran for 70 minutes and did a bit of exploring. Actually it could have been anywhere from 9M-11M but my guess is around 10M.

Yesterday was pretty manic with the house move. Everything going well up to 12:30pm, got the keys, opened the garage at the new house and it was half-full with the previous owners stuff. We had loaded our garage stuff last onto the lorry so couldn't do any unloading until we'd removed all of their rubbish onto the driveway. The previous owners then arranged for a skip to arrive, which we filled up with their stuff but it wasn't big enough. So we now have a driveway with a full skip plus a load more rubbish on it, but at least our things are all in the house. Hopefully will be sorted today.

The other shock was finding a chicken in the garden, which at that point we also thought might have been left by the previous owner. But it was a neighbour's - we explained to them that we have a very fast chase dog so they may want to stop their chickens roaming about....

• Naughty of them to leave the garage full of rubbish Padams - glad you were able to get it sorted and the move went ok, hope you soon settle in.

You certainly seem to return to form very quickly TipTopp. Interestingly looking at the Garmin stats my average stride length was 4cm more than it has been yesterday - the back issue must have really been impinging it.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭
    Hope all the house moves are resolved happily, WTGY & Padams.
    I finished the ploddy part of my week yesterday by completing 100M in 5 days (needing only 12M yesterday); now I'm having TWO consecutive days off, in the hope that my legs will then be fresh enough for a really high quality long run on Sun, unlike last week (when I only had Sat off). We'll see. Both the ploddy miles and the long quality runs do me good; but I can't do both without a break to get fresh legs back.
  • Show off Charlie, had to upstage me  :)
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Nice on the house Padams though a pain with the garage. When I bought my place the garage was rammed, but as it was a repossession they just refused to empty it and there was nothing I could do about it.

LMH - I'm coming up on 40,000 miles since I started running in Jan '07, so I guess that helps with the getting back to it, though a part of me wonders if I've always just been coming up short of what I could do seen as I seem to improve (to a certain point) so quickly. Having said that, there's a very long way to go still to get to pb shape.........
    Your stride comment is interesting, and would certainly fit with how you're feeling post-adjustment....... You also got me curious about mine - recovery jogs are consistently around 1.21m, easy around 1.33m, yesterday's steady at 1.49m, and Reading HM at 1.55m (though I suspect a shuffling period would have shortened that somewhat).

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    115 miles over the past 7 days.  Do I win a prize?

Still slower than many on here though :'( ; oh well, 3 weeks until I leave for Boston.  Wonder if I should check the weather forecast?  Bizarrely they are starting the elites two minutes before the mass field (sub 2.19.40 + 15 quickest masters).  What's the fkg point of that?  Feel sorry for the 2.20 guys who are going to have to run on their own for the whole race.
  • Too many days to do it in Dan  :) That seems a bit strange with the start. Are you planning a taper?

My stride is longer when my pace is quicker TippTop - somewhat shorter than yours though! No wonder I'm slow.................
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great miles Dan & enjoy the taper (if you're bothering with one obviously  :) ) Hope the weather is a bit better than last year!
    Good mileage packing Charlie.  The rest should indeed freshen you up but don't forget recovery takes longer into veteran years :/
    lol Padams.  When we last moved the residents (as was) were also standing in the garage with a few oddments still to shift.  The dishwasher hadn't been emptied and I later found a few 'Sunday best' lady's clothes in a bedroom drawer.  They only moved about 400m away and for the first week their cat kept returning to where it was sure it lived :)  We did know them quite well so it wasn't a problem.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TT - agreed  you improve quickly but then hit another hurdle, maybe you could impose a limit on yourself and see if you can find some year round consistency.

Padams - hopefully all the rubbish is shifted now then, hope you enjoy the new pad.

Wardi - oooooh ! Did you tell her that she had left her frillies behind?

I certainly wont be doing a high quality long run on fresh legs tomorrow. My legs are toast. But its the last 20 something, so it'll be good to tick it off.
  • Well, now my 95 miles in 7 days looks distinctly pedestrian! Someone asked me at work if that was normal. Define normal, says I. In this forum it certainly is! A day off running yesterday and two easy runs planned today before Ashby 20 tomorrow. I doubt I'll manage MP on the second lap but I'll give it a go. I was supposed to do the Midlands Road Relays today but withdrew. Common sense prevailed for once. I don't have time to drive all the way to Birmingham today as well as Ashby tomorrow. I'm out for the Track and Field team 'afternoon tea' tomorrow straight after Ashby and off to Poland for the WMA half marathon on Thursday. I need to pack today!

LMH - hope we can meet up tomorrow. I'm the one with purple hair and disgusting white, green and yellow club vest :)
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere, that House moving is rated as the most stressful thing that you do as a choice. We live on the side of a mountain in N Wales and when we moved in our nearest neighbours sat on the hill behind our house for over an hour watching us move in!
    The mileage being racked up on here is impressive and eye watering.
    Busy times CC2
    Lethargy in control here due to mini taper.