Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Sound like an easy recovery week Joe :o
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Lit's sonnet! Truly moving. He may have been a bell end, but he inspired real art.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Doh, something has changed in chrome so that the notifications link takes me to my profile, not this thread...googling doesn't help either, as javascript is enabled, no cache or cookies etc... anyone even remotely IT knowledgeable have any other ideas?

In a week with Tuesday's booked tempo and sunday's race, fancied another 200m whirl.

Last week averaged 35 in a fair bit of wind.
    Today was mild wind only, so averaged 34  (3x33,8x34, 1x35)

Need to average this 33 ideally when focusing on the shorter stuff, as would hope to average 34 for the 16 rep version.

Will see how Sunday goes and feels before deciding upon whether there is room for 1 longer distance crack before it's a stack of miles to 5ks :)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    yep, lits sonnet was a timeless classic.

Joe that tempo session looked strong, definitely a great sign of moving in the right direction.

SG - wouldnt worry too much about losing a second ave in the wind.  it can happen.  i did a similar 200 session last night and on one rep it came in 2 secs too slow, largely due to lack of concentration on my part. 
    A key thing if you are doing 200s for a longer race rather than say an 800m race is, can you accelerate on your 200s or are they flat pace all way round?  if you can change the pace on them its all fine even if the average is a second under expectation.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the blog Joe, great result as well!

Great time from Dachs as well even if you were disappointed, Reading doesn't sound the fastest of courses!

SG - Two decent sessions there, are your road relays Sunday then? Ours are Saturday but I cant do them!

Having to pack my week into Mon-Fri as I'm away at the weekend, Which means I will have done 70m in 7 days which is by far my biggest ever total. 18m with 10MP last Sunday, a 10m tempo on Tuesday (Couldn't get to tempo effort so basically ended up as 10 @MP) and 20 with 12 @mp planned for this afternoon. Be glad of the taper after all that!

I'm trying to find a track 10k for the summer around the midlands area, Dean or anyone else do you know of any?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Lit - stick around!

Joe - you're an animal! Randomly I was thinking about your session on my run today, and i was thinking, "His 10k pace should be 5.25-5.30 now, if i remember the Moz training when i was in and around back in the day", but re-reading your sesh you weren't trying to do 4x1mile 10k off a 6.20 float! That'd be madness. I'd obviously just mis-read "10k" that was the distance, not the intended mile pace.

So erm - great session :)

Dean - ta. The 35 today was definitely like you mention with the lack of concentration. I "think" I  squeeze the pace up in the second half at times, but couldn't for certain prove it.

It's these top end (for me!) type reps I realise the sheer lack of power I have compared to you track machines.
    And it's probably ridiculous that I don't tap the likes of you and Simon for any tips.

Do you do much stuff like sit ups/push ups, burpess, star jumps, any of that stuff? Out V55 legend mentioned he does these, and he's pretty sculpted.

Body wise I'll struggle to match that, or be like Joe as per his pic the other day - simple body type stuff.
    But if those things make a real difference and I'm missing a trick i'll start now!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sw - shame you can't make it. And not sure why ours are sunday. It's normally a saturday this sort of event. Sods law as wycombes game was called off and its a dreaded international week.

You sound like you're in for a world of progress with that mileage and effort.

Reg has told me off for overdoing the relay talk (but hey you know my style by now - imagine if i was smashing it😄)
    But...i do like the team chats, banter and adrenaliney fears. Our leg 12 guy is worried. He's possibly the slowest in the team at the mo as he's marathon training, so it is a little harsh putting him on anchor.

Having said that, apparently when our lot did this venue before, our leg 12 runner had a solo run!! Didn't see a soul
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I wrote a very well received poem about a guy at work that did everything possible to avoid doing work. It recounted every little trick he used as well as some darker observations about his personal life, these would not have been out of place on the Jeremy Kyle show. The Chief Operating Officer thought it was very funny.

I won't share it as Lit will point out the punctuation errors and some of it is of questionable taste.

Back to running and it's just been a few recovery runs this week. Legs haven't felt up to much more but perhaps they would if forced.

That 18 + 10 MP is quite a session SW, good big week there.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SG - i dont do much core work...i should but i am always tired from the sessions and recovering to do it regularly.  A down side of getting old and the sessions will always take precedent.  I would look at plyometics as a means of improving power/speed.

SW - off the top of my head there is the air products 10k (crewe) on easter sunday (i think), there is one in stone (st Micheals 10k) around june (i think) , one in birmingham in may part of the great run series,    i will ask around at the club to see if any others.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cheers Dean. Im doing the Two Castles run on June 12th, cant make the Birmingham one. Finding a track 10k that isn't miles away is proving difficult. Unfortunately I'm not quick enough for the Highgate Night Of the 10k PBs!
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    sorry just saw it was a track 10k not road!  will have a think

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Try the county championships for your area SW. I've done the Gloucestershire CC 10,000m every year since 2013. Also guested at the Herefordshire CC in 2016 - set my then PB there only to find out it wasn't licensed :/ Fortunately I bettered it a couple of weeks later in Cheltenham & again last September B)
    There's also this in Cardiff in September

• Tipton do a track 10k StevieWh - good standard too. I think it tends to be August-ish but they have some stuff in May/June usually too.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    the midlands 10000 champs is also at tipton...quite a varied standard too 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    The trick with doing core and strength work is to keep it simple and do it in front of the telly, with a beer!  I do 3 sessions of swiss ball/pilates per week ever since this was recommended  about 11 years ago to help with a degenerative disc in my back. It's max 40 mins per session.  One of the key ironies with getting old is the muscle mass that's lost - you need to work harder just to maintain it!  I also do an easy weights session once per week (also watching tv!) and 2 out of 3 daily from press ups, dips and pull ups which take minutes. I do the pull ups on the train on the way home - the rail above the door is perfect for them!

Whilst (evidently!) none of this is making me a faster runner, it does mean I can still wrestle my 15 year old rugby playing son (who is bigger than me!) to the ground and beat him at arm wrestling :smiley:
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm i could be struggling if im gonna lose any muscle mass 😁😘😁

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nah - just need to make sure it's the ones you don't use :wink:

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    10 mins on Indoor bike, 40 push ups, 70 leg extensions (20kg), 40 dorsal rises, 200 crunchies Repeat six times! 

Takes me about two hours. 

That's the basic work out I've been doing on non running days since the turn of the year.

The running and cycling have improved noticeably.

🙂

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys I'll take a look! The Cardiff one looks good but may be a bit close to Berlin!

20m went well split 5 easy, 5 MP, 1 Easy, 4 MP, 1 Easy, 3 MP, 1 Easy. MP paces were:
    6.37/166
    6.36/165
    6.41/164

Legs were tired for the last 3m but pleased with that after my biggest ever 7 days. Time to start cutting back
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Good work Stevie - that's a confidence boosting 20 miler!

parkrun this morning as a bit of a tester. I failed the test! Aim was to go sub 6 for the first mile and see what happened for the rest, with a vague aim of getting under 19 minutes. Failed even the first bit - 6:01, the second, with the steps was a dire 6:40, and the third I at least managed to salvage something by getting from 6:30 at the half mile point down to 6:17 for the full mile. 12th place - my lowest ever at the Rye - in 19:35. What was particularly galling was at the start of the second mile, I was working really hard, looked at the watch thinking I must be under 6 pace, only to see it on 6:15!  Even at Wokingham, the first 5k was covered much quicker than today.  Hey ho.....

On the plus side, had a good chin wag with Philip
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sounds a lot there Ric. Are you really doing 1,200 crunches in a session? :D

Bus - what do you think's going on there? Just a bit of tiredness?

Personally every time I do Wycombe it seems to get slower - on my mind if not the body. Maybe a bit of over familiarity kicking in too.

Old Laptop (10 years?) finally died, so have replaced, and am finding the same script issue as with my work laptop -   I mentioned the other day along these lines, but now it's happening on 2 laptops, I guess Runners World have changed something?

Do most people post from their phone or laptops? Do you have this thread set as a favourite, and see the notifications in the top right hand corner next to your own image?

Until about 3 days ago clicking on the notifications would take me straight into this thread - marvellous.

Now - it takes me just to my own page - annoying.

Google tells me it's JavaScript not enabled - but it is...and obvs a new laptop has no cache, or cookies... so it's odd.

Anyone got any idea? Phil? You're a bit of an IT guy?

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Know the feeling Bus.

I added a handful of half mile reps into the middle of a continuous run and was generating a mighty 6:00 plus plus mile average for the fast bits, though recovery between each was only about a minute.

The Garmin reckoned my average HR was 147 bpm peaking at 164 bpm!

Only Age Grading came to the rescue. When I plugged in the 36:45 for the five miles (I didn't stop once) it gave me a % which had I been 29 years old meant I'd have to run 30:06 to match it.

So on paper I'm in top shape.

On the road however, it's dire.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Even the age grading is down Ric - I'd settle for that staying about the same. At 49, I was often hitting 79-80%, but now around 75 at best...

Don't know is the answer SG - could be that I need a rest, given how tired my legs seem to constantly feel. I suspect that doing less, but with better quality, would be a better approach now but old habits die hard!

Most of my posts are done on a PC. Some on the phone, and some on a tablet.
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Sounds a lot there Ric. Are you really doing 1,200 crunches in a session? :D

In fairness, it was "crunchies". By any standard, that's a lorra fucking chocolate.

Have you tried logging in to RA on a different browser, SG? Your Google account may be corrupted.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

My error - that is a lot of Crunchies! Fuel for all the other reps maybe.

Right, so Chrome still works like it should, it's Internet Explorer that doesn't.

Not sure why a google account would affect it? Probably all I even use that for is youtube watching? So not sure how that would affect runners world on internet explorer?

Went in there, all seems ok? Not sure how you'd even tell it was corrupted as such?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

even deleted the google account, tried again, and set a new one up - tried again - no dice.

Will just use Microsoft Edge - that works too... im sure a lot of sites try and push against Internet Explorer these days!

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    If Chrome works, I wouldn't bother with Edge.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I always use Chrome, or Firefox on mobile devices, as IE is just slow and causes issues.

1200 crunches is a lot, but not massive, if you do a variety. My Swiss ball session involves around 500 various abdominal crunches. Variety is the key though - ironically, my back issue was made much worse by doing hundred of traditional sit-ups, whihc just caused a complete muscle imbalance around the spine!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it chrome is standard at work and the functionality doesn't work there.

But it does at home, although id have to download chrome properly whereas edge is the default. Edge doesn't allow you to have the favourites dragged to the ribbon annoyingly.

Never as straight forward as it could be. And so hard to adjust when you're used to something.

Roll on a few weeks!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If i do even light weights we're talking feeling it for 3-4 days.

And other core stuff i find i either do zero or way much.
    May have to do the odd plank here and there which i expect id have to build from about 30secs!