Sub 3

Comments

• I shall look out for you CC2 - I'm the old, scrawny one in a purple vest with a blond ponytail. My plan is first lap easy second lap hard and see where that gets me - at the end of a 100 mile week probably not very fast. Sounds like a busy time for you, afternoon tea sounds nice and Poland exciting.

Probably the most excitement they'd had in years Mennania  :)
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC2 - dont go too fast tomorrow and spoil yr 1/2.

Menn - that sounds a great place to live. Hope yr 1/2 goes well.

Wel i certainly didnt so a high quality run on fresh legs, but i did a pretty solid 20 on tired legs. Went out aiming for a final P and D 20% (~8.00) thru 10% (~7.20) stylie, if i could get the legs interested. Came in at 10 av 7.55, 10 av 7.01, last few miles were tough, but ive had a tough week 
    20 (inc fleet), 13, 5, 18, 10 (inc 5 mp), 5, 20 for 91.

3 weeks til the B of the Bang, beer and curry tonight!
  • Good luck tomorrow at Ashby Ladies.

Hope the house moves have settled down for those involved in that. I got my dad involved when we last moved. He used to load and unload ships so was very handy at fitting everything into a LWB van. 

TR - nice getting that final one done and dusted. You were ticking along nicely considering the weekly mileage.

Speaking of mileage, eye watering totals getting mentioned that I simply couldn't do with my schedule. Impressive, damned impressive and further proof that its not rocket science... when all those cracking times get posted at vlm (and other races) it will all be down to this focussed consistency.

Local 10k for me today as a final blast before wrapping myself in as much cotton-wool as I can lay my hands on. 36:46 chip time which is a PB which is pleasing to see. My PB was very soft and from 2009 so... just shows I've been pissing around for the best part of 10 years.

Very easy 15 scheduled for tomorrow so will join in the beers tonight TR!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - thats some good leg speed. Sub 37 is good going, and certainly quick enough to run well under 3hrs, not sure ill go sub 37 again.......im torn between some IPA (something like Proper Job) or some cold lager. Plenty of time to decide yet.
  • Nice PB SJ! I doubt I'll ever trouble mine again. 

TR - I always do a half the week after Ashby, but then like LMH I always do Ashby as one lap slow one lap at MP. Shame my 'slow' and 'MP' are slower than LMH's, or we could have kept eachother company! 

• I run to effort not pace CC2 so no idea what they'll come out as - two years ago it was 2.16 but I'm running more slowly this year and have had a big week so tomorrow could be a fair bit slower.

Congratulations sj.

Nice long run TR.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the PB SJ, nicely under 6's for the 10k.  If you run out of cotton wool there's always loft insulation and bubble wrap. :D
    Best of luck at Ashby girls, may the weather gods be kind and it's not too blowy.  Good speed to Menn in the half too.
    Monstrous long run there TR, you gritted that one out well following a big week!
    Ran the local Parkrun at just under 7's earlier, told the Mrs to take the car home so I could add some miles on.  Took the scenic country lane route home for another 12.5 miles, with the warm up that's just over 16m for the day.  Legs still a touch heavy post marathon but glad to get it done.  I'll be joining in with the beers & jalfrezi later.
  • That's a good run at this stage Wardi.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - fair do's, but you want to try to target a good performance as its a representative race?

Well done Wardi. I just had a madras (plus bombay spud, naan and popadoms), will have the beer later.

Dont go smashing it too hard at Ashby ladies.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Speedy - agree with LMH re MP versus marathon effort. I purposely ran to effort (in my case HR) and let the pace take care of itself during most of my 20 milers and marathon effort sessions. Might be an idea for you too since none of us know what MP is until race day? Take todays race as an example, I would have ad no idea that was on the cards were it not for a fast course and perfect conditions. However, I know my threshold/10k pace is around 172 HR so got the ticker going at that and today it turns out that was worth 5:55/mile.

TR - spicy bean burger and sweet potato wedges at this end for tea but will wash down with some Guinness original. What did you go for in the end?

Wardi - Nicely back into the saddle with the extension run home. That's a decent turn-round from Barca, is that a usual rate of recovery for you?

Weather looks decent tomorrow, nice cool spring conditions. Hope its fair for everyone out there.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - i was thirsty all day after that run, so i went for the coldies (san miguel and cobra) and then a glass of red. I was nicely relaxed after that.

Lovely day for running (obviously as I've finished my build up race), shame i had put a 6m limit on myself.
  • TR - have you followed the P&D schedule fairly closely then or just taken the main themes and adapted? 2 X Guinness had me struggling a little this morning.. lightweight these days.

Last long(ish) run done, 15 miles in just a smidge over 2 hours, so nice and relaxed. It looks warmer than it is up here with a westerly wind keeping the temps down. Went out single layered but didn't factor is be running slowly, result was pretty cold at times.

Looking forward to hearing how the races have gone today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    SJ - good to get that run ticked off, youve had a good weekend. After Abo i was looking for ways i could get stronger and do more marathon specific work. P and D with the progressive long runs and double mlr seemed relevant. I have mixed in some time on feet 23milers too though as those progressive runs are too hard for me to do every week. Although i think that's the point with P and D if you follow it properly. Will have a review after Yeovil and see what I'd do differently ready for Abo.
  • That's a big week TR, earned a few beers for sure.

Nice PB SJ. Have you not run many 10ks in the last 10 years?  Beating a time from 10 years ago is pretty decent.

A decent week for me.  After the medical tests Monday I've managed 57 0r so, but more than doubled that on the bike.  A long ride on Friday left me more wasted than it used to, probably due to lack of miles on the bike rather than age, but I got in 21 this morning on an old route I've run maybe once a year, usually around this time and as it turned out in a similar time too.  So something's going right.  As has happened before, this run coincided with the annual Pioneer Run of old motorbikes heading south, so I was treated to the regular spectacle of nice looking but broken down machinery for the first third of the run.  I reckon I could have run to Brighton quicker than some of them!

• It was chilly and definitely on the breezy side here with the wind picking up as the morning progressed. Two minutes slower at Ashby 20 today than two years ago (last year was snowed off) but I had an enjoyable run, a slight negative split (half way in 1.10.11, finished in 2.18.54) no GI issues and got to meet and have a quick chat with CC2 so I'll take that. Not sure what it means for anything so not going to read anything in to it. Hopeto be back at it tomorrow and get another big week in but if necessary this week might be a little lighter before two last big ones, I'll see how everything is tomorrow.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    CD - your fitness is good then, nice. Sounds like there was plenty to keep you amused too.

LMH - that was a quick run then. I was expecting 10m easy, 10m mp. 20 av 6.57 is a tough run, but 15 sec slower than mp, so hopefully its done you good. Let it soak in gor a couple of days, dont do another 20 tomorrow or Tuesday.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the PB SJ. 
    Nice to see the long runs going in at good pace too, TR & Wardi.

A good run for me today with a 2 min pb at Wilmslow -1.13.11 A windy first half and slightly uphill second half means that Im left feeling theres more to come if I ever get round to training specifically for a half. Feel quite chipper about EDI now!

• saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    TR - I haven't followed p&d religiously but the themes are what matter anyway. There is never enough 20+ runs in the schedules IMO so always tinker with those. Next on my list of possible areas for improvement will be strength and conditioning. I don't do any, so anything is surely going to improve me. I think you have addressed areaas you were lacking in pre-Abo extremely well which will see you go well in Brighton.

CD - Last one was in 2015, one before that was old PB set in 2008, so no, not a distance I have raced much. Well done on the 21 and it going as well as in previous efforts which as you say is a good indicator. With all those bikes about doesn't it get a bit noxious from the fumes?

LMH - there's that missing speed then :) Nicely done. Hope this is the confidence boost you needed regardless of previous years. I thought I had gone too quick last week but you were 90 seconds faster today.

Mennania - Congrats on the 2 min PB! Good day for the harriers too with clubmate winning and three inside the top 8! Even on a windy day Wilmslow is a fast course for sure.
  • Congratulations Mennania.

Tr - as I don't run to pace that was never going to happen and Ashby isn't a course for running to pace anyway. It ended up as 20 average 6.55 according to the Garmin. Plan is for a MLR or LSR tomorrow depending on how I feel. Tuesday is time constrained due to work.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    That's a very decent run in the breeze LMH, a couple of clubmates ran the Hull 20 today and that was wind affected (as always!).
    Congrats on the PB Menn, comfortably sub 75 too.
    CD.. nice long run in the bag after a big bike ride on Friday.
    SJ.. good to get the last longish run out of the way.  I assume your legs weren't too grumbly after the 10k?
    Yesterday's 16m is a bit more than I would normally do 2 weeks post marathon; would normally do around 12-13m. However I'm away next Thurs-Sun in Zurich (its a hard life etc. ;)).  I should get a run or two over there but no opportunity for a long effort hence bringing it forward a week.
    Last night's curry & Cobra went down very well, and similar to TR a red wine nightcap to finish off.  Kept it to a steady 5.3m today, even that felt hard work in the wind!
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Yes SJ - I would agree, def one of the quicker ones round here.  Good day got your team. I was running in a small pack with the eventusl v45 winner and he then started moving away at mile 7 so I went with him. Got chatting and he was on a training run💪. He very generously paced me over the next 5 miles before carrying on with his sub 73 target. Think he’s going at Brighton in 3 weeks.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    SJ - Congratulations on the 10k new PB.
    Mennania - Thats a big chunk to take out of your previous HM PB.  Inspiring stuff. 
    LMH - Nice one, cracking progressive fast run - there's the speed there then!  
    WTGY - Good luck with the move/ next phase of your life - to think all that extra time to train - well jel.
    Wardi - You've recovered well to run a  16m, 2 weeks out.  
    Some massive mileages being posted, well done DanA&TT, very much in awe.  Binned my HM today, cnba so ran my 4th consecutive Sunday 21m+ run, today in 2.37 and in sunshine, lovely.  Had to stop as had a blister, and thankfully got a plaster from a chap running past, got chatting and he is training for a double IM in Snowdonia this summer, reckons it will take him 35 hours!!!   :open_mouth:
  • I found Ashby quite tough going this morning. The wind is my nemesis, followed by hills. I was nearly 3 minutes quicker than 2017 (but I have a feeling I'd been ill that year and didn't even try for MP - and yes, I mean effort not actual pace but no-one refers to it as ME do they?!). The first lap was 7.46s but the second was only 7.04s. I probably could have held 7s dead, but I threw my toys out of the pram a bit in mile 19, which was uphill but actually not into the wind. My breathing was terrible though, so maybe not. The wind makes my nose run, so I have to mouth breathe, and that makes me wheezy. I did pick it up in mile 20 because there were two local runners ahead of me and I felt the need to beat them. Maybe the racing spirit hasn't totally deserted me. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Menn - top work, you've come a long way since the 3.15 days. Looking good for Edders.

LMH - see how you feel tomorrow, at least you will have an easy day Tuesday. Would be good if you can wait til Thrsdayish for another long one after todays efforts.

Wardi - enjoy zurich.

OO - sounds like a great run. I kind of wish i was running long today as it was so nice.

CC - well toughed out, that was off big miles too. Have an easy week and go smash yr 1/2 next week.

SJ - theres around 8 20+ runs in the longest P and D plan, plus a few sub 20mile runs that have big chunks of MP. But if someone isnt following it strictly then they arnt hitting the sessions properly. The shorter plans do have less long runs though. The longish mlrs are hopefully the key session of the week though.

Last indoor cricket game tonight, spring is coming.
  • I think my legs are on your side this morning TR - general aches I was expecting and would run off but my hip is a bit sore so I shall see how it feels after I've walked the dog/once I get going but it may be this has to be a lighter week than I was hoping. Despite all the evidence to the contrary I'm clinging to the hope of being able to pull out a PB at London.
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    LMH - I’m a big fan of a reduced taper 1.5 -2 weeks but a big cut back week 5 weeks out. It helps me to hit the last 2-3 weeks of training renewed. 
    Cc2 - even a tiny breeze does my head in on race day. well dug out at Ashby. 
    TR - it’s been a fun few years. Hopefully some more to come. 

• I do a two week taper too Mennania - was hoping for a last big three weeks especially with the week before last being a bit pants but no point crocking myself this week and then not being able to get the miles in for the next two. Good to hear that any easier week this week works for you - it's so difficult to decide what to do for the best and my default is 'more is better' though I know that's not necessarily the case.
  • TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    TR - I agree with the need for a handbrake, but sometimes that handbrake will be pace and sometimes volume. I did actually take Saturday and Sunday off (running - I still done weights one day and a PT session the next), so strictly speaking it was 88m for the week, though Saturday-Friday was 117m, as I was shattered Saturday morning, so I am listening to my body. Hitting it hard post-race was intentional as it would have been easy to have a light week after my first road race in over a year and I needed to mentally break that urge. Very nice 20m!

sj - awesome! Congrats on your 10k pb! I bet that felt good!!

Wardi - your recovery has been text book! Well parkrun/longer run(ned).

Mennania - congrats on the pb! Looking good!

LMH - positive run at Ashby. You're sounding more upbeat!

CC2 - sounds like you toughed it out well, and nice one on finding the racing spirit. I'm intending to head to track to get whipped around it to try find some this week.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - that's a fantastic LR. To do the second half close to sub-3 pace suggests you've definitely got the fitness to do it. Just need a good taper and stay healthy.

SJ - well done on getting the PB to where it should be. Nice sharpener before cotton wool time.

CD - nice LR mixed in with the cycling. Sounds like you're in good shape (as usual!).

LMH - great run at Ashby, the negative split suggests it wasn't full gas so you should have some more in the tank for the marathon.

Mennania - that's a fantastic run. What sort of time are you aiming for at Edinburgh, low-2:30s at least?

CC2 - sounds like a tough run but will be good training. The problem with do 10M easy, 10M hard is that you won't be able to just tuck in behind someone in the 2nd half as presumably you were just passing lots of people. Being in a group would help a lot in the wind.

To make the lower mileage people feel better, 22M for me last week! Nothing after Wednesday except for the Southern 12-stage Road Relays yesterday. I was on leg 1 which was a bit daunting amongst the fast boys (inc. Marders), so inevitably I was red-lining after about 2km but managed to hang on reasonably well - at least, I held position for the rest of it. About 4.8M in 25:50ish (haven't seen results yet and couldn't find a watch due to a lot of stuff still being in boxes around the house!), so not especially fast but not awful either.

• That's an excellent run Mennania.  Like padams I'd be interested to see what you're aiming for an Edinburgh off that.

Good work LMH.  Sounds very positive.

Tough day out CC2 but as others have said it's all good training.

SJ - Fumes weren't really a problem.  The worst culprits didn't manage to run for long enough.