The elation. And then.........

I'd made it a goal this year to get inside 23:30 for the 5K. My previous PB was 23:43, which was done last year on a relatively flat course. Two weeks ago I'd managed 23:45 on a somewhat up and down course (with the ups seeming a lot harder than the downs), so I figured that I might be in good enough shape, if the conditions were right, to get those 13 seconds off.

And the conditions were good. A flat out and back course, a slight headwind on the outward loop that provided a slight advantage on the inward part. Club mates to run against and provide a target, even if I wasn't quite up to their pace. And some good half marathon training that has done wonders for my endurance. 

Struggling on the final half mile, but not daring to look at my watch, I hit the last 150M and wound up for the sprint finish. On the way I got cut up by the runner in front and almost came to a complete stop, but managed to pick it up again. Crossed the line, stopped the watch and to my utter amazement I'd done 23:01. Completely gobsmacked by that as it hadn't felt that fast and for a good 5 seconds I felt the elation that I'd gone under 23:30. 

Then I thought how close I'd been to going sub 23. Arrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Comments