The Thousand Mile Club - 2019

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Glad you feel better, Andrew. There seems to be a lot of it about at the moment. I'm trying not to get sick before Vienna - I don't want a repeat of Valencia (which I didn't get to run at all).
    8 miles this morning with 5 at MP.

YTD: 471
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    5 more this afternoon- up to 223 YTD 
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Conscious effort to ramp up a few miles in preparation for the Sheffield half marathon 14th April. Monday was a race pace rehearsal with 8.1 miles in 67 mins. I broken the run into 13 ks of 5 mins each. Dropped off slightly but happy enough. Also did a very gentle 5.1 today. Rest tomorrow and then another big effort Friday. 

Ytd: 247.3
  • After one of the most pleasant mid-week runs for age (14.17 miles) I am ready to break through the 1 million metres mark well before the end of the month - (945, 747 metres to date)
    YTD = 587.66 miles (nearly lol)

Can I be cheeky and ask if anyone would like to vote for me - only if you want to - if you do then force everyone you know to vote for me too  (just kidding)  It is for the British Army sponsored 'Unsung Champion' award organised by the British Ethnic Diversity Sports Awards on 6 April.

See below.

I have surprisingly been nominated for and made the shortlist of three for the award of 'British Army Unsung Champion' category of the BEDSA 2019 that will be held on Saturday 6 April 2019.

I am just following the request below to promote my nomination - if you think I deserve it, please share with others who may think the same.

I will continue following my passion regardless of the outcome and wish the other two finalists the very best.

Thanking you in advance.

Harmander Singh

If you could promote your nomination on your social networks suggested tweet and hashtags below with finalist images attached ‘Delighted to be selected as finalist for @Britisharmy Unsung Champion award at the prestigious @sportingequals @bedsaofficalVote for us at  www.bedsa.co.uk#SportingEquals #BEDSA2019’
    Our social media accounts are:

@Sportingequals @bedsaofficial

• AndrewD, good to hear your getting mended, hopefully you to will be fixed soon David.

Quiet week after giving blood on Monday night, but hilly club 6 mile run last night felt good. My boy wants to run tonight so I'll give him my watch so he makes me look good and I'll plod along behind.

322 miles YTD

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Andrew...Good to see you getting back into things!
    Cal...Getting close now; hope you can keep the lid on everything for a little longer, then have a great run in Vienna. (slightly jealous...me ?)

20' (No.2) this morning. Conditions were good, and I probably ran the return miles a bit stronger than necessary. 3hr.12 (9:37 pace o'all). YTD: 456'.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. 
    4 miles tonight - legs are in pieces!

227 YTD 
  • YTD 273 hoping for 1200 this year... 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck Harmander!
    6 miles recovery today. Legs felt heavy and niggly. Can you tell I'm tapering? Ugh.

YTD: 477
  • Afternoon,

Dubai, Nice total racking up there, it is starting to warm up here now, a barmy 13 degree's yesterday.

MrM2, Hope you enjoyed the time with your son, nice 20 miler no.2 by the way.

Andrew, Glad you are feeling better and back out again.

Donnie, looks like the training is going well, nice pace for 8.1 miles.

Harmander, Can't seem to get rid of you at the moment, every time I open Facebook, there you are looking for votes! I do believe you are getting a number of shares via the Sikhs in the city group.
    Best of luck, a worthy winner in my opinion.

So, one more 4.12 mile outing on Wednesday, which lead to my leg swelling up again - hooray! 
    I did go and see my sports therapist yesterday, it would appear it is just a grade 1 tear, so should be okay by middle of next week, she spent a good half hour getting rid of the swelling (can't help but laugh whilst writing this) however it does feel much better today, and so does the leg ;) 

Great running everyone, keep it up.

19.03.19 - 4.12

YTD = 331.81 (only a rubbish 57.2 miles so far in March)

• David Charman, I have no idea about social media as I am not on Facebook or do Twitter - I struggle with emails.  Should I run away? lol

Talking of running, I did 13.71 miles today (had meetings yesterday) and am pleased to announce that this has brought my
    YTD = 601.37 miles
  • Well done on passing the 600 mile mark Harmander, and it may pay just to have a speech ready! 
  • Will have to sit side on to 'er indoors, only way to get a word in edgeways lol.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Evening all

Glad you're feeling better,Andrew,and you're running again.

When is Vienna,Cal?

Well done on a incredible 600 already,Harmander,and best of luck for the awards.

Can't help you with HR training,Donnie,but I've heard good things about it.

David,glad your leg is getting better,it shouldn't put you back too much.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

19.03 -8.04

20.03 - 6.54

21.03 - 8.02

22.03 - 6.04

YTD - 379.64

• MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Harmander...Congrats. on the 600' and hope the votes are favourable!
    David...Yes, it was good to visit him in his new place, in Clifton. Many runners there, but not enough...parking is a nightmare. Hope that you can be patient with your recovery, then come back strong!

Decided to top-up yesterday's 20' with a challenging but 'brisk' (58min) 10km this afternoon. (Gives me marathon distance over the two consec.days.) Enjoyed the faster pace and the legs were happy. YTD: 462'.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good grief, Harmander, you're running away with it! I should breach 500 next week, but wow.
    JD - in two weeks!
    MrM2 - very promising!

After a lacklustre and uncomfortable run yesterday, I smashed out a new parkrun PB today at Osterley - 24:39! Only my second time under 25 and first time this year. (Also had a mile run to get to the point my friend was picking me up). It's amazing that when I'm running that hard, I don't feel my niggles, though perhaps it's because the exertion distracts me.
    Still, that achievement pales next to the 84 year old who pushes his wife around the course in a wheelchair - he did that in 41:42 which would be a great time for most octagenarians, without the added pushing. Had a coffee with them both after and he told me he only started running in his 60s and did a sub-4 marathon at 64. Inspirational.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    And 16 miles today. A bit of a slog, despite the lovely weather. Yesterday may have taken it out of me because my legs felt very heavy.

YTD: 497
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done on 600 Harmander.

Rest up David - your description of your physio’s work made me chuckle too I have to say!

4 more for me today. Ran out of time (pardon the pun) for anything longer in the end.

231 YTD 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    And well done on the pb Cal!
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Blimey Cal Jones, 500 and its only MiddleMarch, you'll be getting Harmander worried at this rate, and not surprised your legs feel heavy!

David Charman, glad your getting some professional treatment, those swellings can be annoying, especially on a run! Seriously, not something you should try to run through so getting it treated, and I presume RnR, is the safest route.

Lovely weather today so attempted my last LSR, 3 laps of the Spitfire Scramble route in lovely Ingrebourne Valley for a 20+, but perhaps following the 8 on Sat may have been a bit too much. Suffered but managed it albeit V V slow, now looking forward to a fortnight's taper.

YTD:      306.18
  • A few more miles for me to add

18/3 - 12.13 miles
    20/3 - 6.92 miles
    24/3 - 4.7 miles

YTD = 43.07 miles
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Take it easy Cal; 16' with two weeks to go...Enjoy the taper! Congrats. on another parkrun pb! Love Osterley...near where I used to live, but never done their parkrun.
    Finished my week with a steady 15' mix of seafront and slopes. Thought about some faster miles, but legs had other ideas. They won. So many people out enjoying today's sunshine!    YTD:477'
  • MrM2,
    Done Osterley parkrun more than a dozen times as training someone to run a marathon from West London, three lap course,  More like a trail run - so not keen on it - I can get the three laps to be almost identical in times but the dodgy undergrowth and tree roots which are protruding makes me nervous.
    Did the 10.19 mile parkrun sandwich yesterday and a slowish 13.77 miles of LSR today because we had a film student from Edinburgh university making a film about our club (Sikhs In The City) - this helped me get over the million metre mark for the year.
    YTD = 625.33 miles
    At this rate the 1000 miles will reached on 13 May which is a Monday so i will probably do it on my Tuesday run - I only run Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Well done on another PB,Cal.You're well under 25 minutes,fantastic running.Did you feel your niggles after running that hard.Nice story about the 84 year old as well.

Enjoy your taper,senidM.

My legs had different ideas last week as well,MrM2,hopefully they'll feel better next week.

23.03 - 5

YTD- 384.62

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    JD - actually I didn't feel anything much. I don't know it if it's because my mechanics are better at speed, or if they're better when wearing Zoom Flys, but the achilles was good. (It had a moan after Foot's Cray last weekend but I was in trail shoes which have a much lower drop, and of course the calves have to work harder on uneven ground).
    Achilles had a niggle yesterday on my 16 miler, but the worst thing was the back ache. That's a recent development and I'm not enjoying it at all. I find it nigh on impossible to find a comfortable sleeping position at the moment.
    Harmander - brilliant going!
  • MrM2MrM2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the Osterley warning Harmander; not a fan of tree roots myself.
    Tempted out by the sunshine today (again) on what was down to be a rest day. So I decided to call it a 'pre-stretch' run. Predictably (?) it got longer as I explored an extended route. So, 8'  and  YTD: 485'.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harmander/MrM2, Osterley route has been changed - it's now two laps on good surfaces (just one little wiggle between some trees, but not particularly rooty.
  • Thanks Cal,

Just seen the course - looks much better - the last time I ran was 29 July 2017

I will give the new route a crack soon.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I liked it - it's a quick course now. You'll probably get a new PB. :)

7 miles this morning, which was 6 miles easy and one mile with some strides thrown in. Lovely weather again.

YTD: 504 (ton up!)
  • More than halfway there Cal, it's all downhill now.
    My PB there will depend on the two ladies I am training - it's the only time I have women chasing me (apart from the missus when I have upset her - I mean she has misunderstood me.