FBT
     sub 3:10
    TR 
    2:5x

London 28/4
    HA77  - DIY plan ~ 100km/week - 2:30
    RunSpoonRun - P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - sub-2:45
    Reg P&L 31-47mpw to Wokey followed with custom marathon plan sub 2:45
    Muddy - P&D 12 week inspired but without the hard stuff - up to 60 mpw - sub 2.50
    Sorequads - P&D 18 weeks 70-85M, sub 2:50 (fifth attempt!)
    Ramjet 18wk 55-70mpw 2:5x
    Just Coop Going - DIY plan - survive
    Macca backup/RR

Southampton 5/5
    AWC 12weeks P&D based 55-70mpw 3:15
    FBT

Edinburgh 26/5
    Madbee 18wk P&D 55mpw 3:30
    SteveMac 12wk P&L HM up to 55mpw tbc
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice 15 miler!
    SQ - Only got Edinburgh HM at the end of May on the race calendar at the moment.
    Easy 10 miler this morning.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Thanks Spoons I'll make sure I've got some change with me
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Macca I've updated mine

Manchester 7/4
    HPR 18wk 70-85mpw A: Sub 3 B:3:05
    George
    18wk 55-70mpw 3:10
    Macca 18wk P&D 70-85 2:5x

Brighton 14/4
    Jooligan 15weeks P&D based 55-70mpw 2:59
    FBT
    TR

Shakespeare (Stratford) 28/4
    AWC – P&D 12 week up to 85mi/wk - sub 3:10

London 28/4
    HA77  - DIY plan ~ 100km/week - 2:30
    Muddy - P&D 12 week inspired but without the hard stuff - up to 60 mpw - sub 2.50
    Sorequads - P&D 18 weeks 70-85M, sub 2:50 (fifth attempt!)
    Ramjet 18wk 55-70mpw 2:5x
    Just Coop Going - DIY plan - survive
    Macca backup/RR

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Edinburgh 26/5
    Madbee 18wk P&D 55mpw 3:30
    SteveMac 12wk P&L HM up to 55mpw tbc

• Macca - I think you should seriously have in the back of your mind that 6:18 (I think?) is sub 2:45 pace. The fact that you're an endurance animal has always seen you convert upwards in distance well. Sub 2:50 should be well within your range, but use feel to a certain degree and just go with what feels good. 

You've also got to take into account you'll have muggins here shouting at you like a lunatic from the sidelines...  :D that should add a couple of minutes  ;)
  • I seem to have slipped off the London list.

Manchester 7/4
    HPR 18wk 70-85mpw A: Sub 3 B:3:05
    George 
    18wk 55-70mpw 3:10
    Macca 18wk P&D 70-85 2:5x

Brighton 14/4
    FBT
    TR 

AWC – P&D 12 week up to 85mi/wk - sub 3:10

London 28/4
    Macca backup/RR
    Joe Blogs - DIY tri-plan - sub 4. 

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Edinburgh 26/5

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Macca - indeed, its funny what can become normal in the endurance world.

Spoons - i used to chase a sub3 to tick my gfa box and get me back in vlm and did 2008 thru 2015, i would then do Tri stuff for the rest of the year. After a few compromised years i needed to run vlm 2018 but broke down again late March, so missed my gfa. Not sure ill go back (i ran no other marsthons in that time). If you run vlm slightly backed off from the red line its a good experience,  as you enjoy it way more, and are the overtaker rather than the overtaken on the embankment. As against struggling along looking for Big Ben to get a bit closer.

Im also doing Yeovil early june, as i owe that race one due to breaking down again with hammy issues in 2018.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Still making nonsense personal targets then Joe :DSensible advice for Macca though IMO. I was just thinking that 6:25 sounded soft.
    I'm sure you'll be closer to 3 than 3:10 AWC given recent training.
    That's a tough start to the week TR.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    Macca- I would concur and say 6:25 is selling yourself a bit short. Your endurance background should give you some confidence, and you never know when you'll be in this kind of shape again. 

I suppose I should update my official targets for Manchester:

Manchester 7/4
    George 18wk 55-70mpw A*-sub 3 A-sub 3:05 B-sub 3:10 C-sub 3:24 (PB) 

Brighton 14/4
    FBT sub 3:10
    TR 2:5x

London 28/4
    Macca backup/RR

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Edinburgh 26/5

5 mile recovery in the sun yesterday followed by 8x 800m tonight. Will try and limit myself to 6 m/m pace to limit the impact on the legs

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Hope the taper goes well george. Focussing on sleep in race week definitely helps me. 

Fair play for getting the intervals done, Hamo. A benefit of a Saturday race, i guess. Rapid as expected. 

Really sorry to hear the ITB was giving you a bit of grief spoons. On an upward trend I hope. Makes sense to embrace some cross training. And with this sunny weather you need to get yourself to a lido! Some savage turbo sessions could be a good idea. Certainly this was my approach when I was running two days out of three when coming back form ITBS. 

Good to see Joe 'sandbag' Blogs getting his London time in  :D

The plan had 5 x 600m down for today. Last night I considered doing them on a treadmill, but upon waking this morning, the quads were absolute agony. So stiff they feel like blocks of concrete. So just did a 9M out and back on the canal at easy effort, with whatever pace that led to: 7:45s. Might squeeze the intervals into tomorrow's MLR.

Also: TREATMUM10 at sportshoes for 15% off, including VFs if anyone is interested. Joe - just imagine how fast your mum might go at parkrun if you treat her!

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Joe - Nice London target :D:D
    Macca - You'll have to go with gut feel I think, but I think 6:20 is probably closer to where you will end up. Don't forget those training MP miles were all solo efforts, but Manchester you'll have others to run with. Yeah....maybe I'll stop mentioning the bike now  :D

• Hamo and Millsy - I think you’ve both PB’d twice since I last posted, great work.

Jools - Sorry to hear about the crash. No doubt that took more out of you than you realised. Taper looks to be coming round at the right time for you and hopefully the gut issue will FO as well

SQ - Glad to see you’re back running again. Well done on the FoD placing as well.

Macca - Congrats on the parkrun PB, I’m glad I inadvertently helped in some way!

AWC - Huge few days of training

Joe - Some impressive sessions post Reading for you

Spoons - Sorry to hear about the further setback. I pulled up on a run last Tuesday and was steering clear of the thread for a few days because like you I didn’t want to be irritating people by moaning again.

Steve - Good work on the progression run

TR - great training, sounds like you’re in good shape

George - Really good final long run and it looks like you could probably run backwards and achieve your original target.

As mentioned, last week I pulled up about 1.5 miles into a run with a stabbing pain about halfway up my left calf. Wednesday it felt a bit better as I’d been icing it regularly, but I got the turbo out for an hour just to be on the safe side. The rest of the week I backloaded to make up the mileage and didn’t suffer any negative effects so hopefully that’s behind me. Feeling a bit sore today after a sports massage yesterday evening. Although my spirits were buoyed as he didn’t point out any particular muscle weaknesses/ issues other than tight gluteal mediuses. He did in fact comment I had a good runners frame, which might be one of the oddest compliments I’ve ever received.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Right let’s see if I can copy the targets in correctly 

Manchester 7/4

Brighton 14/4

London 28/4
    Macca backup/RR

Millsy - 9wk 55-70   2:53

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Edinburgh 26/5

Spoons, with my Glute issue It would be a fine balance of pushing each run a little further and then backing off if it felt too painful, have a rest and go again the next day. Also had to be focussed on the rehab exercises. One tip I got from the physio was not to do them on hard running days as the fatigue levels would be too much to get any benefit.

Enjoyed my rest day yesterday and feeling fresh for track night tonight.

• Thanks for the code SQ, “treatmum” 😂 I can see her face now on unwrapping a pair of size 11 VFs.

Thanks for the thoughts on pace.  I should have said it’s totally on my head if I go off too fast and blow but as 6:18 “sounds” quite close to 6:25 it’s tempting and with the 18 week block being near perfect (health, injury, weather, time available and motivation) it would be a shame not to try and squeeze every last sec out.  

Joe - I’m a bit concerned with the flat cap you’ll quietly blend into the crowd of other flat caps 😂 Having said that I guess you’ll be the one without the whippet or carrier pigeon.  

Steve - keep mentioning away. It’s just the last thing I’d want to do after a LR would be jumping on a bike unless it was training for duathlon or going to the shops for some cheap milk😀
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jools - agreed, but no mlr tomorrow just an easy 5 or 6, 10 inc some mp Thurs, 17 or 18 Saturday and then im more or less all done. After that it will be time to revise my 6.4X times tables.

SQ - im way too heavy on the rear sole of my shoes, so my mum won't be getting treated to a pair of size 9s.

HP - hope the calf stays healthy.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Still 70M for the week TR.
    I'm shattered still. Biked to work & did some half-arsed efforts at lunch on the track (5x200/1x400 at 5K pace) with wu/cd came to 2.2M. Cycled back & went to the club but, after warming up with a jog round parkrun, I decided it wasn't worth it so came home. Shoulder was really hurting on the efforts so figured it was best to avoid more of the same. Bout 5 and a half for the day.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - agreed, was trying to get around 70. P and D is around there. Is that too much? That crash has smashed you up a bit, well done for cutting today short.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    TR P&D 24 week up to 70M plan has 58M as the final week with final LR at 17 & only a 12M midweek MLR though it does have a 9M with 5@LT in there too. You've been doing 70+ mpw so I'm sure your body will cope with another 70M week followed by an aggressive taper. P&D suggests 46M next week & 30+marathon in the final week. I think I'll do a bit less in the last week.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

Manchester 7/4

Brighton 14/4

London 28/4
    Macca backup/RR

Millsy - 9wk 55-70   2:53

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Newport 5/5
    Northender  15wk P&D up to 55   3:20 (GFA)

Edinburgh 26/5

Take care Jooligan!!
    Macca... 82 and 83% age grading is fantastic!  According to Park Run, it considers 70% to be 'regional class' and 80% to be 'National Class' !!  I can't even begin offer marathon pace advice at that end of the spectrum but great you got the last LR done.
    HPR...  I forgot what I was going to say to you... so I'll just take a chance on "Top running.. well done"  (and hope you haven't told us that you fell down a well or something!)
    Spoons - glad the body is coming together

Last night I took my six-year-old on her first night run. Head torch on... looking for the frogs.  And as you'd predict, not one was to be seen!  We did get as far as the English border (about 1.2 miles from where I parked up)...  so at least she got to say that she ran to another country!
    Tonight - out with club. 9 miles quite quick by my standards.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Jools - ive done 8 r 9 weeks high 70s or 80+. Roughly used the over 85 mpw for mlr distances etc. I saw the 10 inc 5 effort, so I'll do that tomorrow. I also intend doing 40ish next week and 20something in the last week. Kind of a shame theres no more after work mlrs now its bettter weather and light, but I'll be back on them early May pre Yeovil.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Morning all

Pleased the massage seems to have helped, HPR. I get tight glute med as well.

Macca give it a bash! As you say, a perfect training block is rare, so take full advantage.

Take it easy, Jooligan. I think the adrenaline of a crash can take so much out of you.

TR my copy of P&D has 70, 54, 36 (not-including 26 race) as last three weeks.

Great exploring with your six year old, NE. That’s what it’s all about.

Intervals/MLR mash up this morning. 5 x 600m ish on the riverside with 2:10 jog recoveries. Watch not playing ball and had paces ranging from 5:56 – 8:11, with a sneaky 4:40 recovery at one point… I’d guess about 6m/m average. Then explored a bit further north on the roads than I’ve been before and got a pleasant surprise with a lovely tree lined avenue near a big manor. Total of 14M at 7:23 pace. Legs still fatigued from Sunday’s efforts, but I guess that’s the point of this stage of marathon training. Stunning morning for it. Almost time to consider the sweat gains and begin over-dressing.

• hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    AWC...Barrys, Mauds, then wine bar is a perfect day, not a bit of wonder the kids enjoy coming over :D

Spoons....good idea giving the swimming/Cross training a go, hopefully a bit of it and the S&C will have you back quickly.

Macca...If it were me i'd be looking at 6.18-6.20 pace and see how you get on, perfect training doesn't come round often, and your on top form at the minute...certainly capable of it, and fair play to you if you give it a go.

Joe... Nice target for London :D :D

SQ...cheers for that, might just use that code as i'm in need of a new pair of trainers - these 80 odd mile weeks certainly eat through them. Super MLR with intervals this morning, and i'm telling myself tired legs is the point at this stage too. How often will you go out over dressed? And for which type of runs? Never really though about overdressing, but can see the benefit.

HPR...sorry to hear about the calf issues, but its good that the physio didn't point to any specific weakness or issue, so hopefully just a niggle and you'll be back motoring properly, quickly.

Jools...again, sorry your suffering a bit with the shoulder, that crash has knocked you a bit. Head up though, a few easier weeks for the taper, and you'll be ready to attack Brighton...your training is already banked for it.

14m for me this morning, avg pace of 7.15's with a bit of a quicker 2nd half, so happy enough, another day done and closer to the taper :D
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    My turn i suppose....

Manchester 7/4
    HPR 18wk 70-85mpw A: Sub 3 B:3:05
    George 18wk 55-70mpw A*-sub 3 A-sub 3:05 B-sub 3:10 C-sub 3:24 (PB)
    Macca 18wk P&D 70-85 2:5x

Brighton 14/4
    Jooligan 15weeks P&D based 55-70mpw 2:59
    FBT sub 3:10
    TR 2:5x

AWC – P&D 12 week up to 85mi/wk - sub 3:10

London 28/4
    HA77 - DIY plan ~ 100km/week - 2:30
    RunSpoonRun - P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - sub-2:45
    Reg P&L 31-47mpw to Wokey followed with custom marathon plan sub 2:45
    Muddy - P&D 12 week inspired but without the hard stuff - up to 60 mpw - sub 2.50
    Sorequads - P&D 18 weeks 70-85M, sub 2:50 (fifth attempt!)
    Ramjet 18wk 55-70mpw 2:5x
    Just Coop Going - DIY plan - survive
    Macca backup/RR
    Hamo - P&D 18 weeks 70-85M - sub 2.45

Millsy - 9wk 55-70 2:53

Southampton 5/5
    FBT ???

Newport 5/5
    Northender 15wk P&D up to 55 3:20 (GFA)

Edinburgh 26/5
    Madbee 18wk P&D 55mpw 3:30
    SteveMac 12wk P&L HM up to 55mpw tbc
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Sq - thanks, i wont worry about my total this week so much then. Good run today, im familiar with the tired legged running. Should come in handy race day.

As a heavier runner thats does a lot of early morning runner ive always overdressed in training, esp pre vlm, vlm is always a shock when you live on the coast, and then run round the city on a sunny spring lunchtime. I do all my buld up races the same too. I had base layer, t shirt, hat and gloves on for fleet on a warmish morning in the end. Last saturdays progressive 20 left we thirsty all day, but i think overdressing is good prep.
  • NE - probably not what I was looking for at the time, but I’m feeling remarkably more upbeat now  :)  Nice to be able to go out exploring with your daughter

Hamo - You’re really motoring at the moment, it bodes well for London

SQ - Good MLR with intervals post FoD. What’s the aim of over dressing for runs? Is it to acclimatise to running in warmer weather after winter? I find I inadvertently do it every once in a while just by miscalculation of the outside temp.

TR - Based on your target time, I’m assuming heavier is very relative. Your plan for this week looks pretty spot on to what I did last week.

Joe - I think you can keep the 4 hour target as long as you stop every 100 metres to untie and re-tie your shoes

Macca - it’s very easy to say when it’s someone else, but be brave!  :)  Also, as a Yorkshireman I request a bit more respect for whippets and flat caps!

Jooligan - Wise to bin the session off I think

George - disgraceful you even put that C target up!

8 miles with strides yesterday. My legs have really freed up from the sports massage and I averaged 7:43mm at a HR lower than most of my recovery runs, which raised my spirits.

I’m currently thinking of going off at 6:40s, which is 2:55 pace. I think it’s quite aggressive, but not so much that I couldn’t back off and still go sub 3 if I find it too hard by halfway.
  • george_george_ ✭✭✭
    SQ-Interesting GPS work there! nice session nonetheless

Hamo-Like the others said, by the looks of that MLR you look in great shape in the lead up to London 

TR-I quite often wear an extra layer on long runs to put my body under a little more stress. I'm very much a cold weather runner so I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. 

HPR-A PB is a PB, right?! Your plan of action seems good to me 

Good track session last night. 8 by 800 metres, with the reps coming out at 2:54 average 

Left hamstring is really tight today so a full lunchtime hour in the gym stretching and rolling. No running today as taper takes full hold  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    HydeP - im a lean and mean 12st at 5 ft 10 with a bit of muscle on my frame, which is fine for everday life, but its heavy for running marathons (but not such a handicap over shorter distances). I like 2.54 pace, its 3m every 20min, which means a time check every 3m and a quick calculation as to where you are vs the benchmark. I ran 3 x 2.54 all within 9 secs of each other using that together with running to feel at vlm 2013, 14 and 15.

George - im sure the extra layer is a good idea.
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Oops. Soz hpr!

Overdressed running... I'd been thinking I might be giving this a go.  Newport in May has been VERY hot quite a few times recently...  a disadvantage of a late marathon.   Think it was Spoons who I first read about using this overdressing ploy.

Do you guys where special vests for hot weather racing?   I just have my club vest which I think is bog standard running vest material.  I was getting hot last year... even though it wasn't hot.   I see footballers playing with a layer UNDER their football shirts on really hot days.  This seems mad to me, but presumably it somehow cools them more than the extra layer warms them.  So... special technical vest or not?

ps had a 1hr Skype meeting today.  My 15 minute slot was first up... then it was just listening with muted microphone and following some presentations on screen.   I got in a pretty decent 30-40 min S&C session and still followed everything I needed to!  And a 6m steady run after work... so a good day.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Hamo re the overdressing, I tend to do it in the last 2 or 3 weeks before a marathon. Just a coat when I wouldn’t normally etc. To be honest, I don’t mind it, but it does detract a bit from the enjoyment of a run. Last year, with London forecast to be the warmest on record, I tried some heat acclimatisation in the sauna. I think over the course of the final two weeks I did about 5 or 6 saunas, building up from 10 to 30 minutes. There is evidence to show this helps with the body learning to control sweating effectively and, crucially, increases blood plasma volume – so should be of benefit whether or not a race is hot. The difficult thing to remember is not to exit the sauna and then immediately rehydrate – for the blood plasma to increase you have to make that a gradual process, or so I read. I think it helped me in London last year. My slow down was evident but a heck of a lot less bad than others.

TR yes agreed re being an early morning runner then racing at 10am – 1pm on a warm spring day. I must say that I wouldn’t race in extra gear though.

Pleased the massage has helped so much, HPR. Excellent progress re HR. Regarding pace, just decide what your ultimate goal is. I am all for taking a risk, but if a first sub 3 is the absolute must, personally I would go with the pacer. I did this at Manchester and London a few years ago, felt good at 20 and so sped up. A really satisfying way of racing. Just a shame that Manchester was a short course!

Tidy session, George. Look after that hamstring.

I’ve wondered the same about Mo Farah’s arm warmers, NE. I do actually find that I have a couple of vests that are cooler than my club racing one and so deliberately chose one of these at London last year. Nice work with S&C mid meeting. I have an image of a news reader wearing no trousers beneath his desk.

Weights yesterday afternoon. Took it very easy and followed the advice of only trying front squats and with no weight on the bar. Some reverse lunges seemed to make my lower back ache, so was careful on that front. Recovery 4M in glorious sunshine after.

7M recovery round the bypass and fields this morning. Planning to have a crack at the parkrun (winter course) on Saturday.

What do the morning runners make of the European ruling of a no change in clocks? If we stayed on BST this would certainly make mornings very, very dark for a large portion of the year. Please note this is definitely not a political can of worms opening!

• NE - How about an Ice Vest?