Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Race is 11.50, so at stadium 10 ish, see end of the M55 race and Guy Bracken has done 9.16, so need to beat that. Run around the xc course and then get a bit lost and take 5 mins longer than I wanted to warming up, then inside warm up, then the call room, all exciting stuff (it really is worth entering a masters competition when you can for all this stuff) lane numbers etc etc. 

So line up abd we’re off! Annoyingly I’m last as I get squashed out, but staying on 9.00 plan I have to get to the front and try and run 9.00. So I have to go right round the outside and by lap4 im through in 2.24, on schedule. So that’s the way it stays until I get passed by the two good Spaniards with 5 laps to go. Really starting to feel tired now, but still in third with 4 to go. Then another Spanish guy and the Irishman Mark O’Shea come past with 3 to go. Annoying but I’m just hanging a bit now. Just hold off the American guy for 5th and the time is ok in 9.01.26. Nice chat with Mark after abd warm down with Michael the French guy, chatting about the French and British xc leagues
  • Michael runs in the same club as Frederick who won the 1500 and 5000 in Denmark (Euro masters). Then dinner with Mark Symes the now V50 who beat me and Dean in Malaga and a couple of his AFD mates. 

Monday- bit hungover so only do 35 mins then up to the xc comp in the woods just behind the stadium. So the irony of freezing your arse off outside (yes the weather has gone rubbish now) during an indoors event) isn’t lost on anyone. Unfortunately the M55 team get team bronze instead of Gold as Rob from Dachet forgot to put his back number on. Then some 400 heats indoors then out to dinner with BenR, Rob, an American guy Rob knows and Guy Bracken. The others leave so I’m left with the GB endurance/middle distance rep, Archie Jenkins, and Guy. Mainly discussing Guy’s mad training and the state of UK running. Really interesting stuff. 

Today. Clear my head with a run to where Parkrun is held and back. It’s off a massive estate which must have 30 blocks of flats in it. Pretty modern though a doesn’t seem rough. So that takes about 70 mins, then buy a few bits and bobs then 400m finals this evening. Some great performances, the v85 time was 80 secs, V75 men won in 67! 

So up to date. Not getting picked up until 7pm tomorrow so will be able to see Dean and Mark Symes in their 800 heats then the 10k road race to watch, plus 60m finals too. Weather is a bit crappy though. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Whoa a 3 poster from Simon! Must be a special event ;)
    Must have been an adrenaline soaked buzz to be leading for a bit!

Decent turnout indeed!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I was up to more mundane tasks, fancied another go at the 4x1mile progressives off 90secs done a couple of weeks ago.

Start 6, get down each mile the aim, roughly Theoretical-MP down to 10k.
    As I insist on taking lap splits, it always takes a pen and paper to work out the mile splits later on, but in the end

Slightly quicker start and end then last time out.

Rep 4 was holding on a little, but it started with a 1.21, so probably that upset things a bit!

As you can often see on mile reps, laps 1 and 4 were faster than laps 2 and 3.

I'm trying not to compare to the time I did 5x1mile at 5.30 exact, 1.22 average!
    That was in a different time, after a long progressive set of built sessions, and today hit the objective.

With the relays done, at a bit of a time to consider what I'm trying to do now race wise.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If you feel the HM boat has been missed, how about Maidenhead 10 as a compromise? Good timing in that you can get it done then get a block in for 5ks/10ks.
  • Simon, sounds like a cracking all-round trip. Congrats on a brilliant result. Glad to hear you've been making the most of the food + drink on offer as well. 

SG - I think Reg's suggestion of the 10 miler sounds like a good shout, you're still in decent nick. 

Floating through this week, half classified it in my head as a 'recovery week', before 2 big weeks then 2 week taper for London. Got the Diss Duathlon at the weekend - huge event obviously, all the big names there. 5km run (actually about 5.3km), 30km bike, same run again. Better stick some elastic laces in the VF's. 
  • Cheers All. 

Edit. On bus now to airport. Pickup was 4 not 7. Boo. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice effort Simon, loved Poland, I still have a 20 zloty note I was saving for one final lap dance.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Am keeping an eye on it Reggie. Haven't got there since 2011! And have never broken 60 there, so that's something I've always meant to put right. Last year I came over ill just before, although i "think" I hadn't actually entered - and again I "think" it's EOD these days.

Feel a little knackered today. Probably shouldn't be surprised, as an early wake up, track session morn, then lunchtime double will sometimes do that.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Surely that should have been a Pole dance in Poland Reg?

Good works Simon - sounds like you made the most of the trip from every angle, (including squeezing in some decent racing :wink:)

Nice reps SG. Not surprised your feeling it now!

Loving your "recovery" week Joe - I can see from Strava just how easy you are taking it :smiley:

Double for me yesterday, and had the pleasure of the run home actually feeling strong and energised for a change! The form surfaces help after several dry days, but still....

Not so energised today, but not too bad - 8M of hills and fartleks at lunchtime (5x200 paces, then 5 times 120 paces) @ quicker than 5k effort (anything between 5:20 and 6:00 pace dependent on terrain!) with whatever recovery between the terrain allowed - usually a hill! Not as effective as proper reps I'm sure, but not as dull either :smile:
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Not read back, will.do when I get chance  but I qualified from my 800m semi final out in poland with a controlled run, will share the video when I get back to my apartment. Final is going to be brutal. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done SC! And good news so far Dean!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Joe..96 mile week? That's almost a month's worth for me at the moment, and 24@6.45 is some going.  I think you will continue having a very good yr

Jooligan. Tough course and after being knocked over before hand you got to be happy about how the race turned out, good times well!

sg Good relay result, it's a nightmare when you are cut adrift so it's easy to lose some time.  What is it the datchet lot this week, is there a full moon or something?  Doing 3 laps not 2 (I mean how many hundreds of runners and no one else did 3!) and then the chap out in Poland costing the team and himself a gold because he didn't put his number on.  He is going to be gutted!

Simon. I told him in person but I was impressed in how he ran his final. Couldn't have done much more. 

My race from last night.  1st 2 to qualify for the final tonight.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157347127144994&id=754019993

• JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well raced Simon and thanks for the report.
    Enjoyed the video Dean. Good luck in the final.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice work Dean - that ex Olympian retired, and that Symes fella has moved up an age, presume that makes you the top don? Or is that just for GB? Are you aware of any big dogs from other teams? Or is it all the smoke and mirrors where people put times down that don't match their recents?

Gutting for Mr McHarg. I'd spent ages getting over some wrong route/wrong time, so he'll take some time getting over that!

Although I'm a day later in the week, having allowed an easier Monday than usual post relay, I put the standard midweek long in after the quality session day.

10 came out surprisingly decently at 7.01 without pushing. Felt like it took about half of that to wake the breathing up. But then I was tired from waking up anyway, and yawning loads on the drive in!

That's it today though, 39miles Mon until today - nothing by Joe's standards, but then I'm guessing not many are matching that!
  • Great racing Dean, good luck tonight, look forward to hearing about it.

39 is a really decent shift SG. I've got 44 so far for the week, no run yet today, swam this morning. 

Debating what to do later. Torn between either a bike or a run session, as I wanted at least one quality session in the 'recovery' week. May sack off a session altogether though, with a nod to Sundays race. From there I'm keen to crack on with 2 x 100 mile weeks before a 2 week taper into London.

Things have quickly evolved from 'I might race London', to, 'Might as well have a crack at London'. 
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Brilliant heat Dean and best of luck for tonight. Enjoyed the video; it looked like you had a fair bit in the locker at the end, but that guy in 1st could be a tough nut for you to crack in the final. 

Another great run at the very top level Simon with your 3,000; brave to take it on from the front and very close to the winner still at the end.

Good relay and even better report SG; maybe the 3 lap guy was just a bit of one-upmanship. If his team-mates were all boasting about how much they'd run the day before as you said, maybe he thought he'd do some extra in the actual race ;)

Amazing mileage Joe; especially when you consider the cycling and swimming too. All looking good for London.

Like Muddy I've also been laid low with a really crappy cold again this week. No running since the weekend but, even though I still feel rubbish, I'm likely to try something easy at lunchtime. Seem to get so many colds nowadays its unreal; most come within a week or so of really hard races so I guess that's no coincidence? Any tips on how to avoid them (other than the usual ones like don't race so much, or take echinacea and multi-vitamin tablets which I already do).  

Any way good news this week was I got the thumbs up from UKA for the v55 Age Grade England HM place following my Fleet HM qualifier. It is incorporated within Maidenhead HM in September, so is all a bit nominal, but at least you get looked after as an elite and get to wear the England vest. Suspect there will be little representation from the rest of the UK though as can't see too many Scots, Northern Irish wanting to come to the South of England. Downside is HM is certainly not my favoured or best distance and don't like the thought of having to train for a HM over the warmer months and race when it is still almost summer (1st Sept). My Japanese WV colleague (now 2nd claim since he joined AFD as we're not good enough for him!) also got a v55 place. He was a few seconds behind me at Fleet but is generally a better road runner so will be out for revenge and probably get it.       
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the England vest pete.well deserved.

Sg I'm definitely not top don in the 800.  2 Spaniards have 1.56 and 1.58, the American has 1.59. All from the last month.  But it's a final, anything can happen and if I can get involved and spoil their party I will do.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done Pete! Re. Scots travelling down, I was interested to know whether we send a team as it isn't mentioned anywhere as a championship race for Scottish athletics. So I did a quick search and it seems it isn't an opportunity to represent Scotland or the celtic nations for us, I think there's just a vague invitation issued to the Scottish Veteran Harriers Club to form part of a composite team, wear whatever vest you can get hold of (your own first claim club if you are not entitled to wear a home countries one), and you don't need to meet a qualifying standard. So it's not really publicised anywhere except on the masters club's facebook page. It wasn't clear whether anyone actually decides on a final team (with limited numbers) or whether you just sign up and turn up. In any case, if you don't have to qualify and you don't get an exciting new vest, I'm not sure the incentive would be great enough to travel down to Maidenhead!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dean; not a proper England rep in real championships like you, but its about as good as I'll ever get!

Lit, thanks for the info. The excerpt below was in their e-mail telling me about my place

We will have a strong team of England representatives from V35 to V75+ and you will be well looked after on the day with an elite start for the team just behind the senior elite. We are working hard to ensure a good turn-out of Celtic representatives to join you on the day and more information about the day will be sent in due course.

All sounds a bit contrived then; as well as the (questionable) "working hard to get a good turn-out of Celtic representatives" what sort of "Senior Elite" start would Maidenhead have anyway? I'd have expected to cross the start line within about 10 seconds of the gun there anyway!

• Congratulations on the vest Pete.

I'll be interested to hear thoughts on your question about colds/illness. I've had a similar pattern of illness. I had been inclined to think it's happening after hard workouts but the truth is I'm never more than a month from a hard effort and most bugs are picked up and expelled over a period of 10-14 days so it may just be coincidence and exposure (I have a young child in school whose illnesses seem to coincide with mine) that is the root cause rather than the efforts themselves. Given that there are more than 200 variations of the cold virus in play at peak season those monthly windows of low immunity are almost guaranteed to let something in.
  • Sorry to hear about the colds Pete/Muddy, but great news on the vest Pete, that's brilliant. Nice one mate. 

Can't comment on the illnesses myself, don't ever seem to pick up anything. (Cue me being bedridden the week before London). 

In other news, strong thread representation on the Reading Half facebook page (thanks for the tag Reg);

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    If there's one thing you can guarantee about Joe, it's if you go near him you'll end up with some sort of media exposure.

Nice work in the 800m Dean, must be a steep bank or you've been drinking at the before the race.

Well done on the vest Pete, top work.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Best thread photo since this one at Staines 10k in 2017

Race freebie pink t shirt proudly sported by me, and traditional old school high tuck in from Ric.

Pete creaming off a hefty wad.

My boys were top team too, so a decent day's swag for the locker that one.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Although this one was decent, if not a bit delirious from my point of view...

Lit, me, Samir and (i didn't actually realise it at the time), Mr I/Anonymous, the guy who absolutely ripped the security lapses in this site to bits!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I thought Ric had a netball skirt on.

Going back to possible races, I just requested a GFA free place at the Royal Berks 10k located very close to that picture of Lit et al. Some pretty generous qualifying times offered.

M open sub – 35.00 / V40 – 37.00 /V50 40.00 / V60 44.00 / V70 52.00

F open sub – 40.00 / V40 – 42.00 /V50 46.00 / V60 52.00 / V70 60.00

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    How many years back does that sub 35 stretch 😃

I dare say i could try and weasel in on 5k time and say i haven't done a 10k for years. Which is true.

But alas. Day after masters relays.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete is busy salivating over that v50 time.
    He'll have time to smoke a cigar first
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I was thinking Pete would be the most likely to get in on this action. I checked and it is the day after Parkrun too.

Looking at the results for Men last year, no V40s actually ran sub 37 so maybe it's not as generous as you think.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I thought Ric had a netball skirt on.

Going back to possible races, I just requested a GFA free place at the Royal Berks 10k located very close to that picture of Lit et al. Some pretty generous qualifying times offered.

M open sub – 35.00 / V40 – 37.00 /V50 40.00 / V60 44.00 / V70 52.00

F open sub – 40.00 / V40 – 42.00 /V50 46.00 / V60 52.00 / V70 60.00

False. They are shorts.

By the time you're my age you'll be as bald as a chimps arse. True.

🙂