Sub 3h15

Comments

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SBD - Im supposed to be doing 16 on Sunday but I'm going to have to do it tomorrow so may cut it short. Will be super easy whatever I do. Then it's 4 easy Mon, 10 x 2 mins Tue (6m total), 5 easy Thurs then finally a 2-3m shakeout on Sunday. Boston will come round faster then you think!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    2-3m shakeout next Sunday?!  You'll.find yourself a bit short of the finish there mate  :)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Haha yeh I should probably do that on Saturday!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Is there anything different about the FGFA start and GFA start. The magazine suggests a seperate pen for fgfa? I know fgfa have special go faster numbers with a yellow background. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - My mate was in fast gfa last year so I asked him what it was like. He said you are in a separate pen with loads of room, there are changing facilities with free massage available and no queues for anything. You then get led to the front of the red start just before the gun goes off.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    that sounds like the champs start? A nice oasis of calm amongst the chaos! I wonder what you need for that start? I know someone who was on it last year with with a 2.57 time. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    He said it was brilliant, loads of space to warm up. I think it's sub 3 so 2.45-3.00
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oh, perhaps if i do london next year with my 2.59 I'll get in there! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    for Championship start you need sub 2:45, or a sub 1:15 half.   My lad is on there this year.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/championship-entry/
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes that's somewhere I'm never going to get to.  Just intrigued by fgfa as that seems to float under the radar and is in touching distance with a sub 3 time to apply with next year. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    It was few years since I did London but I was off the FGFA start in 2013.  As Stevie says, it's a separate area, very spacious and almost no queues for the loos. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

The plan today was a 10K tune race and as there were no 10K races available (I was almost tempted by a trip to Lancaster) I headed down to Black Park for a park run double.  I ran my first park run here in 2010 but had only managed eight to date (always run with a 5K solo effort before the actual park run) with a PB from 2010 of 19:18. 

3K warm up and then started the solo 5K hoping for c. 3:55 splits.  A bit dismayed when the first split came out at 4:10 but managed to pick it up over the remaining 4K to finish in 20:08. A quick swig of water and a couple of minutes stretching and then on to the start line for the park run proper. Started off at what seemed like a sensible pace but must have been passed by c. 30 people in the first 500m!  Gradually starting reeling them in and up to 18th place by the 1k marker.  Had a strong run for the remainder of the course, continuing to pass runners although I was pipped on the finish line by the 14 year old girl that I'd passed earlier at the 2K point.  Finish time of 19:11 and 11th place - so a park run PB (and a nice WAVA)!  More importantly, a good confidence booster for Boston.  3K warm down to give 10 miles for the day.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Nice parkrun PB there SBD - great result considering the nippy 5k warmup.

Re: London starts, if anyone is starting on Green and wants a place for coffee/warmth/no queue toilet; let me know as I'll be staying right at the start there.

Did my first parkrun of the year this morning at Eastville, bagged a course and parkrun PB in 20:08 despite a very congested start when I somehow got pushed back to the midpack after the briefing. Fairly hilly course and not running flat out so just happy to add to my year of PBs with that. 6 x 30second strides with the club afterwards which felt good.

Stevie - will probably do that session you recommend, a few hills on my route but will see how I can work it. Can't believe you had a 16 to do this weekend! I'll be 12 tomorrow, then very similar to you for the remainder, with 12x200m on Tues.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Great parkrun SBD and Nicko! Let me know how the 12 goes, 12 x 200 sounds fun!

Cut today down to a 14, nice and easy out and back down the canal towpath. Watch died on the way back but it was nice a comfortable.

Countdown to race day now!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, SBD. Im surprised you dont have a sub 19 parkrun to your name. I guess you dont often race a parkrun as you must have run 5k in sub 19 in 10k races?

Nice parkrunning, Nicko. Eastville park was our home ground for a while when i lived in Bristol and played footy. Even the footy pitches are hilly there!

well done on the 14, Stevie, it got warm today. 

I went out about 10am for 22. I wanted time on feet about equivalent to my race day time so about 8.10 pace. Started pretty slow and sluggish and by 13 miles i was averaging 8.23mm. Picked it up in last 9 and finished in 2.59.04. It was pretty warm by the last 5 miles as it was beyond midday and i had nothing with me do feel a bit dehydrated now. 

Thats 77 miles in last 7 days and 232 for month, beating Januarys 227 to be my highest ever month. Rest day tomorrow i think!

Looks like I'll be at Nationals on Saturday. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nuff said Nicko, sounds a bit too tough ;)
    I missed a run Friday but still ran a poor parkrun at Newbiggin on Sea- another 19:30. Meanwhile junior OO was first finisher and broke the ladies course record.
    Needless to say she beat dad too.

Last big run tomorrow maybe 20-22.

Another big mileage week Gul, well done and good luck holding back on the taper ;)
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    OO - the hills are nothing compare to the most local one at Ashton Court; but still not a fast course I think. One of the reasons I don't do parkrun much! Congrats to junior on the new CR that's a great achievement.

Nice to get the equivalent time on feet DT - that's a long time without water though. Another big mileage week & month. 

Stevie - thanks for the session recommendation, altered it slightly to account for a massive hill up to the Bristol Downs but a great session that felt a lot shorter than 12miles - 3 w/up; 3 steady (6:46, 6:48, 6:36), 1 @ 7:36, 2 steady (6:40, 6:41), 1@ 7:39, 1 brisk (6:18), 1 c/down.

Very happy with that considering a couple of hills in the MP sections too. Ran in the vaporflys and drnk a maurten before which made it about a £15 run, but worth nailing those paces. Bit of a weird issue with the arch in the left shoe near the end but hopefully nothing that will be a huge issue on race day.

Looking forward to next weekend a bit more now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ha, you have the same thought process as me when i go out training in my race day finery, Nicko. Good session and yes,vthose broken tempos make the distance go much faster. 

Yep i was a little dry mouthed in the last couple if miles, but think of the race day boost when i have water every mile. 

Well done to your daughter, oo. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent 12 mile session nicko - hopefully the steady sections felt relaxed.  Perhaps you need a few more runs in the vaporflys before Sunday to make sure there is not a problem. 

Sterling stuff from Junior OO -  your chances of beating her in the future must be looking slim!

Good time on feet run DT.  I think a bit of dehydration on the occasional long run is good training. What's the tally of 20+ runs looking like?  I've never really raced 5Ks - they always seem a bit short and painful.  It's also a while since I ran 38 minutes for 10K (39:26 was the best I could do last year) - so yesterday was definitely a step up in the speed stakes.  I'd like to target some shorter distance races post Boston.

Good easy session Stevie - you must be feeling positive about Manchester.  It's been great to see the measured way you've come back from the calf tear.

17 miles in windy conditions this morning.  I think there is a good chance of blowy conditions at Boston so today was good practise!  Nice and steady for the first half and then picked up the pace for my Newton Hill section and then a couple of 6:35 miles at the end to give an average pace for the run of 7:25.

Week 1 of the taper, with a 20% reduction in volume, safely negotiated. Next week, with a further 20% reduction, and nothing longer than 13 miles could be tough!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to see the Boston guys sharpening pencils for final couple of weeks. That’s a cracking pace SBD.
    i held on for a 22 miler my last really long one today and 56 for the week. Pace was 8:24 which is ok for me. 638 miles this year so far.
    I have 3 10k races for the next 3 Sundays so a change in emphasis from now on.
    I guess we’ll get our VLM mags arriving soon.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    SBD - yes I think I'll use them tomorrow for an easy 5-6 in different socks. They were fine for Vitality Half so not really sure what it was. That'll be another £6 run though  ;) . MP felt fine, HR reasonable, bit windy though so a few bits more effort than others.

OO - nice long run and yearly mileage; I'm only on about 500 which is slightly worrying. Good luck with the planned 10ks.

No VLM mags I think anymore - at least there wasn't last year; it was all online.

• I'm shattered but dropping in to report a 1.29.5x clocking in my half marathon. Clearly sub 3 won't be happening this year. That was not marathon effort, that was everything I had. I did set two PBs for sprinting for connecting flights through Frankfurt airport though. Outward I missed the 2nd flight and had to re-route to Poznan, inward I made it by the skin of my teeth, but my luggage didn't run as fast as me and is still sitting in Frankfurt somewhere. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Speedy I’m sure the stress of the travel did not help. I’m sure you’ll still put in a strong performance at VLM.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- Yes I don't much like 5k and if it wasn't for parkrun I will probably have never done one. I've so far done 4 x 20 ( 2 straight plods, a mixed pace with about 12 at mp and Ashby) and an easy 22. I have also done 4/5 18 milers as well which isn't something I have done before. Previously I have just sat at 15 and picked 6 weekends top run 20. I have my biggest run to come a week Saturday. Well done on the 17.

That's a shame, Speedy. Perhaps some of Ashby was also still in your legs? I know I have struggled to hit any paces last week.

OO, the website says final instruction mags will land 'by early April', but as Nicko says, it will be an e-mail mag.

Rest day yesterday, first one since my Edinburgh weekend on 10th March. Two things were noteable-

1. How hard it was to not just go out and run for 30 minutes, which means tapering will be unpleasant.

2. How good my legs feel today from just 1 day of rest, which then bodes well for the tapering process even if it's tough going.

6 miles easy later.

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your performance Speedy, hopefully you'll feel stronger for London and be happier with the result there. Still, a sub 90 can't be considered a bad result with no taper and a week after a 20 mile race I'd think. Good luck getting your luggage back.

Starting my 3 days of no/low carbs. An excuse to eat a couple of nice lean steaks. :smile:
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - cracking double parkrun effort and excellent final long run. You are in fine form for Boston.
    nicko - good parkrun and strong 12 miler; looking promising.
    Stevie - nice easy 14 miler.
    DT - great time on feet run with your 22 miler. Nationals next Saturday, I presume?
    OO - good weekend's running. Nice to sharpen up with 3 x 10ks over the next few weeks.
    Speedy - sorry to hear it didn't go to plan; hopefully you'll be able to put in a good performance for the marathon without all the stress of flying.
    Had a good weekend demolishing the old shed and meeting my great niece for the first time. Managed to avoid the temptation to do any running too. Started the week with 9 miles including 3 x 1M. Splits came in at 10k pace (6:2x) but felt like 5k effort. I was running laps of the local park and GPS watch always seems short on distance there ;)

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT - Great long run, cant believe you did it without water though! Huge monthly total, you have certainly put a really decent training block together. Really wish I could do the nationals, will have to wait until next year!

SBD - Thanks, I really think having a coach has helped in that aspect. Stopped me being tempted to rush back into training. Great long run

OO - Enjoy the 10ks! I've got one booked in June which I'm looking forward to. Congratulations to junior on the course record!

Speedy - Sorry to hear it didn't go well, I wouldn't write off Sub 3 at London just yet though

Gul - Good reps, whats the mileage plan for this week?

Saturdays 14m took me to 206m for March which is my 2nd highest month ever. Nice and easy week now, really looking forward to the weekend. Should probably think about setting a target

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Some cracking weekend running, well done, Team. 
    Good specific Newton Hills work there, SBD. I did the same before my Boston too. The Newton Hills in isolation aren't that bad but on race day they are in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially if the weather is not favourable.
    Got 16 done on Saturday at 8.08 pace and a recovery with strides yesterday at 7.36 pace.
    As usual, legs are a mess by the time I get to the weekend runs. Looking forward to an enforced 3 day rest this week (city break to Amsterdam) before hitting my final 20 miler on Saturday.
    March ended on 206 miles (7.37 pace avg), my highest ever monthly total. It would have been more, but I skipped at least 20 miles as a mini taper for the Surrey Half.
    Also bagged 51 miles last week, which makes 3 x 50+ mile weeks so far in this campaign, again, never done more than one before, yet for most of you lot 50 miles is pretty standard.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Stevie - nice monthly mileage. Look forward to see what target you give yourself. Week 2 of the taper for me, so will do somewhere around 40-45 miles, including final MLR (12 or 13 miles) and maybe a parkrun.
    GD - great mileage too. Are you starting the taper this week?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    4 weeks until London, Gul, so two full-ish training weeks before a two week crash taper.